FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 00:39

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 08:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

With so many having recently finished/about to finish Stranger things, I thought a spoiler-filled theory discussion was in order.

Without further ado -

Theory #1 - Eleven is the monster

1. The boys refer to the monster as a Demogorgon, which in D&D is known for having two heads with separate personalities that struggle against eachother
    2. The first time we actually see the monster is in the flashback to Eleven's time in the sensory deprivation chamber
    3. Eleven claims to have opened the gate, and even says "I'm the monster." While I initially assumed she was being hyperbolic, maybe it was literal?
    4. The times that Eleven concentrates to find Will are both times that the monster then finds him in the Upside-Down (both when she tracks him on the ham radio, and later using the makeshift sense-deprivation chamber
    5. When Eleven finally defeats the monster, they both disappear together

Thoughts/other theories?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 20:18 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
I'm not sure what to make of those theories. I reached some mild conclusion that the two were intertwined; perhaps she and it are photo negatives of the other?

I'm left wondering where Hop went in the black sedan, and why he didn't stay gone. This seems to be some undisclosed part of "the deal".
Hop had limited to no interaction with Eleven, but then took Eggos (and chicken wings) to some wooden box in the middle of nowhere. Is Eleven still around? What happened in that month?

Holy cow! Will is barfing up slugs! That thing left baby things inside Will... and he is either PTSDing, or is somehow still linked to The Upside Down. I'm betting that whatever that place is, the monster we saw is not the only thing from there.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 07:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I wonder if El's possible connection to the monster is part of why Hop was willing to turn her in - like maybe the lab told him about her connection?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 17:02 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

One of the reasons I really Stranger Things is the thought of balance. Too many magic settings, Hogwarts, for instance, it's like, "*poof* I did something cool." No price paid, just something positive where nothing was before. Life doesn't work that way. I don't know if El is the monster, but it makes sense to me that in the creation of El as a superbeing, a negative side effect came into play as well. Balance.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 18:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Has anyone read the Dean Koontz novel Watchers? (Not the movie, which sucked). I feel like Stranger Things--which I liked a ton--either owed or stole (depending on your perspective) a lot from that novel, which I don't recall seeing anywhere in the credits or acknowledgments.

(And if no one here has read it--get on it, FW! There are things to discuss!)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 13:39 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

Buckykatt wrote:
Has anyone read the Dean Koontz novel Watchers? (Not the movie, which sucked). I feel like Stranger Things--which I liked a ton--either owed or stole (depending on your perspective) a lot from that novel, which I don't recall seeing anywhere in the credits or acknowledgments.

(And if no one here has read it--get on it, FW! There are things to discuss!)

I've read Watchers... but I've not seen the show... YET! :oops:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016, 22:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Is Steve Jean-Ralphio's father?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 09:43 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Bill wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 12:17 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

Scruluce wrote:

:lol: I still have to watch Stranger Things (Don't hit me)... but I did Parks and Rec and that was awesome!