Star Trek: Discovery

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Star Trek: Discovery

#1 Post by alan smithee » 11 Apr 2012, 00:50

?

HBO anyone?
Last edited by alan smithee on 31 Aug 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Re: new Star Trek series

#2 Post by knarf » 11 Apr 2012, 06:04

alan smithee wrote:HBO anyone?
That would work for me - I'd be happy with 10 great episodes instead of 1 great one, 15 good ones, and 8 mediocre ones each season.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#3 Post by Batman » 11 Apr 2012, 08:14

knarf wrote:
That would work for me - I'd be happy with 10 great episodes instead of 1 great one, 15 good ones, and 8 mediocre ones each season.
:green: I just hope they true to the roots and ensure the captain gets to nail a green chick.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#4 Post by Sela » 16 Apr 2012, 11:55

Batman wrote:
knarf wrote:
:green: I just hope they true to the roots and ensure the captain gets to nail a green chick.
This chick?
Green_Chick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 more months of school.....

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#5 Post by Scruluce » 06 May 2016, 13:36

CBS (online only) launches new Star Trek series in January 2017

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#6 Post by sldawgs » 06 May 2016, 13:59

Scruluce wrote:CBS (online only) launches new Star Trek series in January 2017
That sucks. $6 bucks a month for maybe one show worth watching and then releasing only one episode a week? Straight up money grab.

$6 bucks isn't much, but add it to the cost of all the other "services" like it that will be coming out and we are right back to big bucks.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#7 Post by Scruluce » 06 May 2016, 15:17

sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:CBS (online only) launches new Star Trek series in January 2017
That sucks. $6 bucks a month for maybe one show worth watching and then releasing only one episode a week? Straight up money grab.

$6 bucks isn't much, but add it to the cost of all the other "services" like it that will be coming out and we are right back to big bucks.
I understand, and somewhat agree with this argument.
My devil's advocate usually goes something like this...
~$6 for CBS, ~$12 for Netflix, ~$10 for Hulu, ~$10 for Amazon (plus internet subscription fees)... I'm still going to be spending less than any dish or cable provider at their "full value" pricing for video services.
of course the more you subscribe to, the heftier the price tag will be.

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#8 Post by Dawson » 06 May 2016, 21:32

Found an old stock photo of the new crew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Batman

#9 Post by Batman » 07 May 2016, 01:15

Dawson wrote:Found an old stock photo of the new crew
I'd watch that.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Dawson

#10 Post by Dawson » 07 May 2016, 03:07

Batman wrote:
I'd watch that.
Idiots would probably cancel it after a season though
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#11 Post by Scruluce » 07 May 2016, 17:24

Dawson wrote:
Batman wrote:
I'd watch that.
Idiots would probably cancel it after a season though
...if that

alan smithee

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

#12 Post by alan smithee » 31 Aug 2019, 15:46

I have enjoyed both seasons

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#13 Post by Scruluce » 30 Dec 2019, 23:18

I am also enjoying both seasons, however I'm annoyed by several things, knowing this series takes place roughly 10 years prior to Kirk and their first 5 year mission...

alan smithee

#14 Post by alan smithee » 31 Dec 2019, 15:35

Scruluce wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 23:18
I am also enjoying both seasons, however I'm annoyed by several things, knowing this series takes place roughly 10 years prior to Kirk and their first 5 year mission...
?

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#15 Post by JJ » 01 Jan 2020, 11:56

I'm convinced that you people actually enjoy crap, and just want an excuse that it's (somewhat) socially acceptable to do so.

Not here. This show blew. And it will disappoint you. Don't say you weren't warned.

BTW, "good popcorn film" is a term that needs to go. Just an excuse for watching utter caca. Although I do understand that the term comes from the German word "Bruckheimer".
La la la la la.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#16 Post by Scruluce » 01 Jan 2020, 13:05

alan smithee wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 15:35
Scruluce wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 23:18
?
I'm at the season 2 finale, with knowledge of a third season.

issues i'm having:

1. understandably, production value is much higher than it was when TOS was on air, but the ships on this show looks much more advanced than Enterprise. I did appreciate that the Enterprise's bridge looked like an updated set design of TOS Enterprise's bridge.

2. Klingons. what were they thinking?! the season 2 fix was that they grew their hair again? those football shaped heads are awful.

3. Spore Drive. It's a really fun story line to play with, but it trumps any other tech of the time. Somehow, this tech has to be sidelined, or FUBARed, to get around trying to retcon the tech into the ST universe.

4. A.I. taking over bodies seamlessly -- fun trope, but makes the Borg seem antiquated 100 years before we ever see them on screen. Also, Airiam? Cybernetic human hybrid? See my previous statement on this topic.

5. Bernham's connection to Spock's family. I'm on the fence with this one. It's fun to see Sarek (and Amanda) on the show, but Sarek seems so much more invested in Michael than he does in Spock.

6. Time travel tech. Time stones?! Custom tailored suit that can time jump?! SHENANIGANS!! Kirk and crew had to slingshot around the sun, but Bernham's mom can just press a button on her armband console?

Things I have liked:

1. The mirror universe story arc was fun, though I'm questioning the Defiant reference. Is that supposed to be a nod to DS9? That incarnation of the Defiant didn't travel back to the mirror universe, but did have an issue with tribbles in the prime universe. The twists weren't totally mind-blowing, but I liked them all the same.

2. Talos IV story was unexpected, but well done, I thought -- placing the episode after TOS pilot episode.

3. The inclusion of Section 31. there is more about this "top secret" department of Star Fleet in the paperback novels, but it has been fun to see it included here. (I was annoyed with their commbadges working the way they did, though.)

alan smithee

#17 Post by alan smithee » 01 Jan 2020, 16:52

Scruluce wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 13:05
The mirror universe story arc was fun, though I'm questioning the Defiant reference. Is that supposed to be a nod to DS9? That incarnation of the Defiant didn't travel back to the mirror universe, but did have an issue with tribbles in the prime universe.
probably this Defiant

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#18 Post by Scruluce » 01 Jan 2020, 22:49

alan smithee wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 16:52
Scruluce wrote:
The mirror universe story arc was fun, though I'm questioning the Defiant reference. Is that supposed to be a nod to DS9? That incarnation of the Defiant didn't travel back to the mirror universe, but did have an issue with tribbles in the prime universe.
probably this Defiant
Gotcha. I hadn't gotten around to watching Enterprise again yet. So writers for Enterprise retconned the mirror universe story for Defiant, pushing it back in time roughly 100 years for that episode (that I've long forgotten, or never seen).

Good catch, Smithee.

alan smithee

#19 Post by alan smithee » 02 Jan 2020, 02:37

Scruluce wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 22:49
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
probably this Defiant
Gotcha. I hadn't gotten around to watching Enterprise again yet. So writers for Enterprise retconned the mirror universe story for Defiant, pushing it back in time roughly 100 years for that episode (that I've long forgotten, or never seen).

Good catch, Smithee.
I haven't seen Enterprise (the show), but I think that Defiant goes back to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web"

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#20 Post by Scruluce » 02 Jan 2020, 17:38

alan smithee wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 02:37
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
probably this Defiant

Good catch, Smithee.
I haven't seen Enterprise (the show), but I think that Defiant goes back to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web"
read through the link you gave me.
The USS Defiant (NCC-1764) first shows up in TOS episode Tholian Web. At some point in the episode, the Defiant is pushed through the fissure, entirely into the mirror universe, and the crew of the Enterprise has no knowledge of what became of it.
In Enterprise, in the episode (s4e18) "In a Mirror, Darkly" (set in the mirror universe), the ISS-Enterprise (NX-01) learns of a future craft (USS Defiant) that has appeared. It's part one, of a 2-part episode, and the event(s) that they must be referring to in Discovery, as the events from TOS "The Tholian Web" would not have happened yet.

(FWIW, Enterprise was really good ...if memory serves... in the first season, and in the last (half of the -?-) season. The middle 2 seasons were trying to do their own version of the Dominion War, and lost a lot of fans, ultimately costing the show the viewership to last a full 7 seasons (like TNG, DS9, and Voyager). )

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#21 Post by JJ » 03 Jan 2020, 08:01

Scruluce wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 17:38
alan smithee wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 02:37
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
probably this Defiant

Good catch, Smithee.
read through the link you gave me.
The USS Defiant (NCC-1764) first shows up in TOS episode Tholian Web. At some point in the episode, the Defiant is pushed through the fissure, entirely into the mirror universe, and the crew of the Enterprise has no knowledge of what became of it.
In Enterprise, in the episode (s4e18) "In a Mirror, Darkly" (set in the mirror universe), the ISS-Enterprise (NX-01) learns of a future craft (USS Defiant) that has appeared. It's part one, of a 2-part episode, and the event(s) that they must be referring to in Discovery, as the events from TOS "The Tholian Web" would not have happened yet.

(FWIW, Enterprise was really good ...if memory serves... in the first season, and in the last (half of the -?-) season. The middle 2 seasons were trying to do their own version of the Dominion War, and lost a lot of fans, ultimately costing the show the viewership to last a full 7 seasons (like TNG, DS9, and Voyager). )
La la la la la.