FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 17:04

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dr. / Doctor Who
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 10:53 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

I'm surprised we don't already have a thread about this.

So the new Dr. Who is Peter Capaldi. Consider me underwhelmed.

Ok, so it could have been worse and have catered to the fangirls (I dreaded Tom Fenton or Robert Pattinson), but for me Capaldi is a) too old (yes, I know other Doctors have been older, but I don't know, seems wrong) and b) too associated with another role, namely Malcolm Tucker (I do have visions of the first post-watershed Dr. Who with Capaldi striding in to a room: Fucking Daleks, not again... or: Cybermen, not those tinpot wank-cunts again!).

I'd have gone for Simon Pegg myself, not oly because he's exactly the sort of tone wanted, but also so then he'd have been in Dr. Who, Star Trek and most probably Star Wars as well!

Post subject: Re: Dr. / Doctor Who
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 11:08 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

The first Academy Award winner to play the Doctor, no?

More detailed support for your age comment: he's already older than 11 of the 12 other (primary) portrayers of the Doctor, and he's starting at an age just months younger than Hartnell when he started, so he only needs to make it three or so years to become the oldest actor to play the Doctor.

IMO, Pegg would be far worse for the "(b)" concern—Pegg is Scotty, especially to American audiences. I'm betting that most Americans haven't seen The Thick of It. I think that, at least since the reincarnation of the series with Eccleston, the show has a sizable American audience (at least among the sloppy sampling of my American friends).

I've never seen Doctor Who (I know, I know), but Capaldi may be enough to win me over, at least to check it out.

Though I can't see Capaldi as anything but Malcom Tucker—but I do like the idea of Malcolm Tucker in a completely different setting, frankly...

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 12:06 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

alan smithee wrote:

More detailed support for your age comment: he's already older than 11 of the 12 other (primary) portrayers of the Doctor, and he's starting at an age just months younger than Hartnell when he started, so he only needs to make it three or so years to become the oldest actor to play the Doctor.

IMO, Pegg would be far worse for the "(b)" concern—Pegg is Scotty, especially to American audiences. I'm betting that most Americans haven't seen The Thick of It. I think that, at least since the reincarnation of the series with Eccleston, the show has a sizable American audience (at least among the sloppy sampling of my American friends).

I've never seen Doctor Who (I know, I know), but Capaldi may be enough to win me over, at least to check it out.

Though I can't see Capaldi as anything but Malcom Tucker—but I do like the idea of Malcolm Tucker in a completely different setting, frankly...

I can see where you're coming from re: Pegg, but he's done so much more (high profile) stuff than Scotty such as Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Spaced etc. whereas apart from Malcolm Tucker, I can't think of Peter Capaldi (apart from The Crow Road and a small part in Dangerous Liaisons) in anything. But like you say, perhaps these Pegg films weren't popular in the USA (and if not, why not? They're great!)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 12:37 

F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

I can see where you're coming from re: Pegg, but he's done so much more (high profile) stuff than Scotty such as Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Spaced etc. whereas apart from Malcolm Tucker, I can't think of Peter Capaldi (apart from The Crow Road and a small part in Dangerous Liaisons) in anything. But like you say, perhaps these Pegg films weren't popular in the USA (and if not, why not? They're great!)

I think (though actually am not sure) that the Pegg films did fine in the states (oddly, I (re)watched most of Hot Fuzz yesterday), but didn't do much business compared to the Star Trek (x2) juggernaut. Also, I doubt Spaced made so much as a blip over here and I've yet to see so much as an ad for The World's End.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 12:48 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

alan smithee wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

I think (though actually am not sure) that the Pegg films did fine in the states (oddly, I (re)watched most of Hot Fuzz yesterday), but didn't do much business compared to the Star Trek (x2) juggernaut. Also, I doubt Spaced made so much as a blip over here and I've yet to see so much as an ad for The World's End.

I don't think The World's End is out until 18 Aug in the States. Good flick, though.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2013, 15:39 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

F.N.G. wrote:
I'd have gone for Simon Pegg myself, not oly because he's exactly the sort of tone wanted, but also so then he'd have been in Dr. Who, Star Trek and most probably Star Wars as well!

He's been it, just not as the Doctor (obviously).

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 02:51 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

knarf wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:

He's been it, just not as the Doctor (obviously).

Oh yes, I had completely forgotten that. Oh well, no need then.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 07:14 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

alan smithee wrote:

Me too.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 09:01 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Preview of the new Doctors look.

Attachment:
12th Doctor.jpg

The sig is from Malcolm Tucker character, I think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 10:28 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

this sums up what I want more than i could:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 12:04 

Patch wrote:

Attachment:
12th Doctor.jpg

He looks like an evil Mr. Rogers!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 13:29 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Midrats wrote:
Patch wrote:

Attachment:
12th Doctor.jpg

He looks like an evil Mr. Rogers!

With a scarf.