FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 23:31

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Aaaayo....
I am about ready to cut the chord. Which service do you all prefer?
Amazon Fire, Roku, Chromecast... others?

All I really watch on TV is the occasional binge series like GoT, The Wire or Breaking Bad and sports. Though my son watches more network stuff, but I am sure that is no issue with the right cocktail of accounts, right?
I just need to be sure to be able to watch streaming video of rugby matches too, so the better internet ready system the better, right?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:18 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
I haven't cut the cord yet, but if I did, I'd probably keep a Hulu account active, and maybe Amazon Prime.
I'm fairly sure that you could keep current on any TV series using one, or both, of these.

I do use Chromecast, but it isn't a streaming service. It is an HDMI dongle that allows you to broadcast video/images/etc. from a phone or tablet to the TV.

Roku is a physical device that is closer to Chromecast. You pay for the device, not for a service. Instead of using a wireless link to another device, the Roku holds apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, etc.) internally. As a perk/drawback, it comes with its own remote.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Scruluce wrote:
I haven't cut the cord yet, but if I did, I'd probably keep a Hulu account active, and maybe Amazon Prime.
I'm fairly sure that you could keep current on any TV series using one, or both, of these.

I do use Chromecast, but it isn't a streaming service. It is an HDMI dongle that allows you to broadcast video/images/etc. from a phone or tablet to the TV.

Roku is a physical device that is closer to Chromecast. You pay for the device, not for a service. Instead of using a wireless link to another device, the Roku holds apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, etc.) internally. As a perk/drawback, it comes with its own remote.

Hope this helps.

But Roku can stream from the internet too, right? I imagine the chromecast dongle can too, if you link it to the computer/tablet that you use for the internet connection.
Right?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:44 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Toasty wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Hope this helps.

But Roku can stream from the internet too, right? I imagine the chromecast dongle can too, if you link it to the computer/tablet that you use for the internet connection.
Right?

My Roku can't but on the other hand it is several generations old. The new ones may. I think you can get most of what you want on pretty much any platform, you just have to figure out which one you like using best. The problem you will have is the streaming. If you can get that service the rest should be fine.

On Roku you select channels that you want. Most are free some are not. And some of the channels will allow you access only if you have a cable service. Like for example, National Geographic has a channel on Apple TV, and I think, Roku, Hulu etc. But to "activate" the channel, you have to tell them what cable service you have and if you don't have access to the channel from that cable company, it won't let you watch.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:45 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I've got Virgin TV.
Then Netflix.
Then Amazon.
Nowtv.

I watch like 1 show on each thing lol

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 11:50 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Dawson wrote:
I've got Virgin TV.
Then Netflix.
Then Amazon.
Nowtv.

I watch like 1 show on each thing lol

I have an Apple TV and Roku. I don't really use Roku much but Sheila does to get to Amazon Prime because you can't get Amazon Prime on an Apple TV. Otherwise I use Apple TV for my own video library, Netflix, HBO Now, WWE, and sometimes the other channels. It can get Hulu Plus I think, but I don't use that.