Mr. Robot (WARNING: Contains Spoilers)

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Mr. Robot

#1 Post by Dawson » 13 Jul 2015, 08:02

Has anyone else been watching Mr Robot? I've seen the first two episodes and absolutely love it. Just hope the Slater or Scruluce factor doesn't shut it down too early.
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Index to TV Show Threads / General TV Chit Chat

#2 Post by Scruluce » 13 Jul 2015, 09:10

Dawson wrote:Has anyone else been watching Mr Robot? I've seen the first two episodes and absolutely love it. Just hope the Slater or Scruluce factor doesn't shut it down too early.
Slater factor?
I haven't watched it yet. The face of the main character weirds me out a bit. Should I watch it?

Dawson

#3 Post by Dawson » 13 Jul 2015, 09:51

Scruluce wrote:
Dawson wrote:Has anyone else been watching Mr Robot? I've seen the first two episodes and absolutely love it. Just hope the Slater or Scruluce factor doesn't shut it down too early.
Slater factor?
I haven't watched it yet. The face of the main character weirds me out a bit. Should I watch it?
Christian Slater. All his shows get canned. He's a 21st century McGinley.
You should watch episode1. You'll know within 5 minutes if it's for you

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#4 Post by knarf » 13 Jul 2015, 13:03

:green: Loving it too. Rami Malek is great, as is most of the rest of the cast. Very realistic tech, plus it feels a bit like Fight Club to me.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#5 Post by knarf » 13 Jul 2015, 13:03

Scruluce wrote:
Slater factor?
No, absolutely not.

Dawson

#6 Post by Dawson » 13 Jul 2015, 13:06

knarf wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Slater factor?
No, absolutely not.
:lol:

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by Brodieman » 14 Jul 2015, 16:53

knarf wrote:
:green: Loving it too. Rami Malek is great, as is most of the rest of the cast. Very realistic tech, plus it feels a bit like Fight Club to me.
:green:

I'm enjoying the unreliable narrator aspect, that's not something you see on TV too much.
Spoiler
I'm getting a Tyler Durden vibe from Slater's character, I find myself watching to see if he interacts with any other characters.
I have also noticed that everyone, including the news has started using the Evil Corp nickname that the main character uses for E-Corp.

Dawson

#8 Post by Dawson » 15 Jul 2015, 06:35

Brodieman wrote:
knarf wrote:

I'm enjoying the unreliable narrator aspect, that's not something you see on TV too much.
Spoiler
I'm getting a Tyler Durden vibe from Slater's character, I find myself watching to see if he interacts with any other characters.
I have also noticed that everyone, including the news has started using the Evil Corp nickname that the main character uses for E-Corp.
Spoiler
When I first saw others saying Evil-Corp I wondered if that was the true name, the show is really playing tricks with us, what is real, and what isn't. Refreshing to see something making us think. And i love how the code looks like real hacking

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Mr. Robot (WARNING: Contains Spoilers)

#9 Post by Scruluce » 16 Jul 2015, 09:15

Dawson wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
knarf wrote:

When I first saw others saying Evil-Corp I wondered if that was the true name, the show is really playing tricks with us, what is real, and what isn't. Refreshing to see something making us think. And i love how the code looks like real hacking
I have only watched the first episode, but I'm already getting a huge Fight Club vibe. I do hope that this isn't an effort to make a Fight Club tv series, under a different name. I mean, c'mon, they are even talking about resetting debt records. I'm going to keep watching, for now.
Spoiler for
I'm just hoping, if this really is the case, that they stick with the schizo aspect, and not try to add some underlying gender confusion aspect to all of it. This is a popular theory for the film that I think has some credibility, but is also presented by a small sliver of the viewing population that is over-thinking almost every film they watch (re:Ferris Bueller's Day Off). Fight Club was enough of a mind fuck without throwing a potential sex change into the mix.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#10 Post by Scruluce » 16 Jul 2015, 09:16

Dawson wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
knarf wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
I'm not sure I'm completely on board yet, but let's move this chat HERE

Dawson

Re: Mr. Robot (WARNING: Contains Spoilers)

#11 Post by Dawson » 16 Jul 2015, 12:23

The thing is, once you guys mentioned fight club, I decided to re-read the book. Now everywhere I look I see fight club.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#12 Post by sldawgs » 16 Jul 2015, 12:41

Dawson wrote:The thing is, once you guys mentioned fight club, I decided to re-read the book. Now everywhere I look I see fight club.
The first rule of Mr. Robot is you don't talk about Mr. Robot.
The second rule of Mr. Robot is YOU DON'T TALK about Mr. Robot.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#13 Post by Scruluce » 16 Jul 2015, 13:50

Dawson wrote:The thing is, once you guys mentioned fight club, I decided to re-read the book. Now everywhere I look I see fight club.
I've never read the book.

Dawson

#14 Post by Dawson » 16 Jul 2015, 13:52

Scruluce wrote:
I've never read the book.
It's about 200 pages and surprisingly good even though after watching the movie the book seems obvious, doesn't affect it tho :)

Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#15 Post by Hiller » 16 Jul 2015, 15:41

Hey! What's the first rule of book club?
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

Dawson

#16 Post by Dawson » 16 Jul 2015, 21:09

Hiller wrote:Hey! What's the first rule of book club?
Use a bookmark don't crease the pages

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#17 Post by Odd Todd » 18 Jul 2015, 13:41

I have been enjoying it too.
But I kinda fear that the mindfucks going to go nuclear and end up being stupid.
Oh? The only real person in the whole show was Just this one guy and he halucinated everything else? He's been in a locked and padded room the whole show?
I can see that happening.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#18 Post by Scruluce » 18 Jul 2015, 14:31

Odd Todd wrote:I have been enjoying it too.
But I kinda fear that the mindfucks going to go nuclear and end up being stupid.
Oh? The only real person in the whole show was Just this one guy and he halucinated everything else? He's been in a locked and padded room the whole show?
no! not a Tyyler Durden Newhart

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#19 Post by Scruluce » 18 Jul 2015, 14:34

no! Please do not let it be a Fight Club version of Newhart.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#20 Post by Odd Todd » 18 Jul 2015, 14:49

Scruluce wrote:
no! Please do not let it be a Fight Club version of Newhart.
Or St. Elsewhere... or Dallas...
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#21 Post by Scruluce » 27 Jul 2015, 17:03

Um, I'm pretty sure I saw someone interacting directly with "Mr. Robot" (Slater) in this last episode. Does that blow our Fight Club theory to hell, or are we seeing Elliot witness himself (out of body sorta thing) interacting with someone?

Surely we aren't seeing things for what they actually are, since EVERYONE is now using the term "Evil Corp," whether Elliot is present or not.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#22 Post by Scruluce » 07 Aug 2015, 10:51

I'm 2 episodes behind, but from the trailers I've seen, I'm fairly sure that the Fight Club theory is blown. That's not a bad thing. I think I need to re-watch all episodes to date. On one hand, I think I've missed things because I'm usually doing something else (cell phone game, texting) while the show is on. On the other hand, a friend at work says this is the way to watch, as too much attention given to the show results in over-thinking the show entirely.

Maybe I will just watch the last two episodes and post in here after...

Anyone still watching and want to do an episode recap discussion?

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#23 Post by » 16 Aug 2015, 17:24

What's this about? What kind of show is it? Should I start watching?
The :) means it's all ok.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#24 Post by Scruluce » 16 Aug 2015, 19:41

I've watched the first 3-4 episodes.
I've got 3 more on the DVR that I haven't made time for.
I think I need to rewatch from the beginning.

The show follows the kid that played the mummy in the Night at the Museum movies.
He is a genius hacker/vigilante, but also suffers from some form of social disorder and is an addict.

The show is a bit dark and sometimes hard to follow... or I've not really been paying attention.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#25 Post by knarf » 17 Aug 2015, 05:33

It lost a bit for a couple episodes, but I think it's picking back up.