Battlestar Galactica (spoilers)

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

Battlestar Galactica (spoilers)

#1 Post by snotball » 05 Dec 2005, 15:43

I've just finished watching the first season and about to start watching the second one, but some things bother me here. It's by no doubt a great show, that don't need several seasons to show it's good, like the various Star Trek clones, but still some issues in it lower my opinion about it.

1. Dr. Gaius and his imaginary masculine blond. This plotline started to annoy me from about the second episode, and became more and more absured as the show progresses. I mean, what's the point of her? She doesn't prevent him from killing off Cylons so what is her purpose?
Also, nobody seems to notice him talking to himself and fondling himself in public? :roll: and that's not even mentioning the times he's doing it in mid conversation with real people.
2. The Cylon Detector - On one hand they say there isn't such a thing and it's all a hoax, but on the other Gaius manages to figure that Boomer is a Cylon. So what is it and why didn't he report it?
3. What do the Cylons try to achieve, tagging along to Helo on Caprica? He's a lone pilot stranded on the planet away from the fleet, so what were they trying to achieve?
4. On the last episode, when Boomer detonates the nuke on the Cylon base, before flying off, she encounters several of her duplicates. Why the hell didn't they try to unarm the nuke instead of trying to fonle it. What is it with these cylons and their constant need of fondling people/stuff?

Now, that that's off my chest, can anyone tell me if I've missed something or if any of this gets a bit resolved on the second season or if Gaius finally gets killed of?
Bad dates

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2489
Joined: 24 May 2004, 17:43
Gender: Male
Location: France

#2 Post by Ulkesh » 05 Dec 2005, 20:24

The first three points start to have some answers in the second season. As for the nuke, I would guess God told the Cylons that it was meant to explode.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#3 Post by Nunis » 03 Jan 2006, 14:23

Just wanted to pop in here and tell Ulk and snotty (and I bet Todd watched it too -- who else?) that I watched the 3-hour miniseries today, and I am complately hooked. I've already started downloading season two, while season one should be arriving from my rental service any day now.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50213
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

#4 Post by knarf » 03 Jan 2006, 14:31

Season 2.5 (or whatever they're calling it) starts up again this Friday over here.


Snotty, question 3 is the one that's answered the best in season 2 (so far at least). And I just have to turn off my logic chip when it comes to anything involving Gaius and Six, and just hope for the best.
"Hold on to your butts."

Image

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#5 Post by Nunis » 03 Jan 2006, 14:40

knarf wrote:Season 2.5 (or whatever they're calling it) starts up again this Friday over here.


Just spotted that on TV.com. Looks like it's time for me to get moving on this. Knarf, you might want to expect another ridiculously one-dimensional month from me.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13707
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#6 Post by Odd Todd » 03 Jan 2006, 14:51

Yep... I've been watching from the beginning...

At first I hated the concept and was not interested in it at all... so I only watched the mini-series once it came out of DVD... but I was really impressed.

And I am still watching both Stargates so my Fridays are pretty much planned.

Oh and Nunis... Surface started again last night BTW. I hope Miles becomes Aquaman... I hearby patent the AquaMiles nickname.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#7 Post by snotball » 03 Jan 2006, 23:06

knarf wrote:Season 2.5 (or whatever they're calling it) starts up again this Friday over here.


I've been waiting for it's return after the cliffhanger it was left at.

knarf wrote:Snotty, question 3 is the one that's answered the best in season 2 (so far at least). And I just have to turn off my logic chip when it comes to anything involving Gaius and Six, and just hope for the best.

Actually it not. The Cylons couldn't have known that He'll be rescued. As for Gaius and Six, it's not only the logic chip that I have to turn off, but also the annoyance chip. At least the series has so many qualities to it, that it helps you get past that flaw in it.
Bad dates

Ridilon
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4172
Joined: 12 Jan 2004, 07:22
Gender: Male

#8 Post by Ridilon » 04 Jan 2006, 16:40

We'll see how long I can stay hooked, but I really like just the stark difference in how the Vipers fly from old to new. In the old show the Vipers had no other thrust except forward. One little push and off they go until caught by gravity.

I must say that I almost stopped watching when Apollo of old showed up to be a 'terrorist'. Luckily he hasn't been an important figure. I'm not a huge fan of Stands With A Fist, but as long as Edward James keeps on as Adama I think it'll be good enough to keep watching.

And how the hell did Ensign Ro Laren get command of a Battlestar? WTF?
Jesus H. bald-headed Christ.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#9 Post by Nunis » 20 Jan 2006, 07:21

Well, I watched the Miniseries again. The same day I posted back the DVD when I first saw it (two weeks ago?), my boyfriend saw an ad for the second season on TV and said he wanted to check it out. So I rented it again and we watched it the other day. Still great, and we're starting on season 1 tonight.

Anyway, I had some snotty-like questions. I don't want you to answer if these are things that get resolved in later episodes (keep in mind I've only seen the Miniseries so far), but perhaps tell me if they get explained.

1. Why did Number Six snap the neck of that baby in the market? Was it an accident?

2. Why does Number Six "help" Gaius throughout the Miniseries? Like how she helps him spot the Cylon device on the Galactica...

I'm sure I'll think of more.

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#10 Post by snotball » 20 Jan 2006, 08:34

Nunis wrote:1. Why did Number Six snap the neck of that baby in the market? Was it an accident?

2. Why does Number Six "help" Gaius throughout the Miniseries? Like how she helps him spot the Cylon device on the Galactica...


1. I think her only reason was that she could do it.
2. If you would read my first question, you'ld see there is no answer to that by the end of the first season, and not by the current state of the second one. The Gaius/Number Six subplot only gets more tedious and rediculous, and IMH removes :0.5star: - :1star: from the series' rating.
Bad dates

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#11 Post by Nunis » 20 Jan 2006, 08:35

snotball wrote:
Nunis wrote:2. Why does Number Six "help" Gaius throughout the Miniseries? Like how she helps him spot the Cylon device on the Galactica...


2. If you would read my first question, you'ld see there is no answer to that by the end of the first season, and not by the current state of the second one. The Gaius/Number Six subplot only gets more tedious and rediculous, and IMH removes :0.5star: - :1star: from the series' rating.


Agreed. So annoying.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13707
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#12 Post by Odd Todd » 20 Jan 2006, 12:33

Nunis wrote:
snotball wrote:
Nunis wrote:2. Why does Number Six "help" Gaius throughout the Miniseries? Like how she helps him spot the Cylon device on the Galactica...


2. If you would read my first question, you'ld see there is no answer to that by the end of the first season, and not by the current state of the second one. The Gaius/Number Six subplot only gets more tedious and rediculous, and IMH removes :0.5star: - :1star: from the series' rating.


Agreed. So annoying.

The point in their relationship is we don't know if shes just in his imagination, or actually sending her thoughts to him as if she is there. She seems to know more then he could make up in his own head... so I would lean to her being a projection meant in part to drive him a bit crazy and therefore easier to control.

The parts where she helps him I think were meant to keep him on edge and off-balence... which is why this last weeks episode was such a huge step for him.

Spoiler Wrote:
Because by him using her own words and thoughts agianst her with the Pegasus Number 6... to get her to trust him... he denied her a bit of the control she had on him... because he will be able to be controlling party in this new relationship.

Sure it's confusing... but it's meant to be...
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#13 Post by snotball » 26 Feb 2006, 14:38

Great. As if one delusional character wasn't enough. :roll:
Bad dates

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13707
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#14 Post by Odd Todd » 27 Feb 2006, 10:54

snotball wrote:Great. As if one delusional character wasn't enough. :roll:

Hey I thought it was a great twist... even if it makes even less sense then him seeing her... I love what they are doing with it.

At this point they can even tell me that it was "Gods Will" that they have eachother in their heads and that would be enough of an explination for me... :)

I wonder if in one of these episodes on Caprica we will eventually see Billy just walking around. :lol:
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8963
Joined: 14 Mar 2005, 12:38
Gender: Male
Location: Westchester, NY

#15 Post by You Know, for Kids » 13 Mar 2006, 10:44

I'm surprised noone has updated this thread since last Friday.

That certainly was an unusual approach to a season finale. I'm not sure I like the way they did it, but you can't accuse them of predictability. Nice job of tidying up a few storylines while creating a fairly open slate for next season.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

User avatar
Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1853
Joined: 27 Apr 2003, 10:23
Gender: Male
Location: My Computer Desk
Contact:

#16 Post by Brodieman » 13 Mar 2006, 10:48

Yeah I'm not sure what to think of the finale, but I do know how I feel about having to wait until October for the next season. :balrog:

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2489
Joined: 24 May 2004, 17:43
Gender: Male
Location: France

#17 Post by Ulkesh » 13 Mar 2006, 20:57

It was fracking awesome.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13707
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#18 Post by Odd Todd » 14 Mar 2006, 00:21

I dunno... for one I am glad they had the balls to go ahead with this idea... and yet even if I don't know if I like it... I will be even more pissed if it turns out to be a dream or some shit.

Now... 30.000 people on New Caprica? Does that mean that the blast killed over 20,000 people!? :o
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#19 Post by Nunis » 14 Mar 2006, 00:26

Ulkesh wrote:It was fracking awesome.


:green:

I was a bit taken aback at the "1 year later" thing, but it worked. It was strange seeing the passage of time and how old and pasty everyone got (yay Admiral Adama). I can't believe how long we have to wait now though for Season 3.

I'm sure I'll have questions or comments later, and a bit of moaning about how Baltar is the worst leader in the history of lame leaders.

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#20 Post by snotball » 14 Mar 2006, 01:07

Nunis wrote:
Ulkesh wrote:It was fracking awesome.


:green:

I was a bit taken aback at the "1 year later" thing, but it worked. It was strange seeing the passage of time and how old and pasty everyone got (yay Admiral Adama). I can't believe how long we have to wait now though for Season 3.

I'm sure I'll have questions or comments later, and a bit of moaning about how Baltar is the worst leader in the history of lame leaders.


Image Damn, I was so close. I think I'll ask Martha what's her opinion about a rematch.

The season ending took me by surprise. When Baltar raised his head from the desk, I was sure it was a dream. It's a nice setup for the next season and I'm really curious what they'll do with it. By the way, didn't the Quantum Leep Cylon said they have given up chasing the humans?
Bad dates

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#21 Post by Nunis » 14 Mar 2006, 03:33

snotball wrote:Image Damn, I was so close. I think I'll ask Martha what's her opinion about a rematch.


Close, but not quite. At least he has competent people around him, like Mike and Aaron. Baltar has an imaginary robot chick and a bunch of whores.

snotball wrote:The season ending took me by surprise. When Baltar raised his head from the desk, I was sure it was a dream. It's a nice setup for the next season and I'm really curious what they'll do with it. By the way, didn't the Quantum Leep Cylon said they have given up chasing the humans?


Yeah, I was sure it was a dream too. I was very surprised; everyone looked so old. Gaeta had grey hair and everything.

I too seem to remember Stockwell's character saying that they were gonna leave them alone, but the Aaron Doral cylon claimed they had found them "by accident", whatever that means.

Oh, and btw, do we know which number Stockwellcylon is? We already knew Blondie was #6, and in the Downloaded epsiode we found out that Lucy Lawlessbot is model #3, Aaron Doral is model #5, and the Boomer Cylon is model #8. We also know of Leoben, the black doctor from the holding facility, and Stockwell, but we don't know their models. So am I right in assuming there are 5 more unknown (to us at this time) models?


Also, I hope we see more Lucy Lawless next season. She's cool.

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#22 Post by snotball » 14 Mar 2006, 05:20

Nunis wrote:
snotball wrote:Image Damn, I was so close. I think I'll ask Martha what's her opinion about a rematch.


Close, but not quite. At least he has competent people around him, like Mike and Aaron. Baltar has an imaginary robot chick and a bunch of whores.

Image Whooooores.

Nunis wrote:I too seem to remember Stockwell's character saying that they were gonna leave them alone, but the Aaron Doral cylon claimed they had found them "by accident", whatever that means.

As he has explained, they found them because of the nuclear detonation.

Nunis wrote:Oh, and btw, do we know which number Stockwellcylon is? We already knew Blondie was #6, and in the Downloaded epsiode we found out that Lucy Lawlessbot is model #3, Aaron Doral is model #5, and the Boomer Cylon is model #8. We also know of Leoben, the black doctor from the holding facility, and Stockwell, but we don't know their models. So am I right in assuming there are 5 more unknown (to us at this time) models?


There's also the Cylon that Adama killed in the mini-series and that in the last episode lookd for Starbuck, near the end of the episode, as the Cylons arrived.
Bad dates

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#23 Post by Nunis » 14 Mar 2006, 07:44

snotball wrote:
Nunis wrote:Oh, and btw, do we know which number Stockwellcylon is? We already knew Blondie was #6, and in the Downloaded epsiode we found out that Lucy Lawlessbot is model #3, Aaron Doral is model #5, and the Boomer Cylon is model #8. We also know of Leoben, the black doctor from the holding facility, and Stockwell, but we don't know their models. So am I right in assuming there are 5 more unknown (to us at this time) models?


There's also the Cylon that Adama killed in the mini-series and that in the last episode lookd for Starbuck, near the end of the episode, as the Cylons arrived.


This guy? That's Leoben.

According to this site, the black doctor guy was called Simon. Hasn't been updated for Stockwell though, but it appears those are the 7 we know of. I can see why you misunderstood me.

Image

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#24 Post by snotball » 14 Mar 2006, 08:19

Nunis wrote:
snotball wrote:
Nunis wrote:Oh, and btw, do we know which number Stockwellcylon is? We already knew Blondie was #6, and in the Downloaded epsiode we found out that Lucy Lawlessbot is model #3, Aaron Doral is model #5, and the Boomer Cylon is model #8. We also know of Leoben, the black doctor from the holding facility, and Stockwell, but we don't know their models. So am I right in assuming there are 5 more unknown (to us at this time) models?


There's also the Cylon that Adama killed in the mini-series and that in the last episode lookd for Starbuck, near the end of the episode, as the Cylons arrived.


This guy? That's Leoben.

According to this site, the black doctor guy was called Simon. Hasn't been updated for Stockwell though, but it appears those are the 7 we know of. I can see why you misunderstood me.

Image

Oops, I thought you said the black doctor's name was Leoben.
Bad dates

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#25 Post by Nunis » 14 Mar 2006, 08:29

snotball wrote:Oops, I thought you said the black doctor's name was Leoben.


I guessed as much. What I said was

Nunis wrote:We also know of Leoben, the black doctor from the holding facility, and Stockwell, but we don't know their models.


I was listing the three with unknown numbers, but I can see why you misunderstood me.

Post Reply