Battlestar Galactica (spoilers)

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
Message
Author
User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#226 Post by F.N.G. » 30 Mar 2012, 08:59

Watched the mini-series this week. Enjoyed it enough to splash on the Blu-ray box-set (£1.70 cheaper than the DVD box-set) as a surprise for the wife.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#227 Post by Mazer » 30 Mar 2012, 15:46

Nunis wrote:I should have been Laura Roslin instead of the hybrid. Otherwise, spot on. :D
Spoken for. :-D

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Posts: 12082
Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 09:12
Gender: Male
Location: You know, right here

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#228 Post by Sela » 31 Mar 2012, 06:51

Nunis wrote:I should have been Laura Roslin instead of the hybrid. Otherwise, spot on. :D
I've already apologized profusely........
8 more months of school.....
Image

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#229 Post by Nunis » 31 Mar 2012, 21:30

Sela wrote:
Nunis wrote:I should have been Laura Roslin instead of the hybrid. Otherwise, spot on. :D
I've already apologized profusely........
I still have clearly not quite forgiven you. :D

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#230 Post by snotball » 31 Mar 2012, 21:39

Mazer wrote:
Nunis wrote:I should have been Laura Roslin instead of the hybrid. Otherwise, spot on. :D
Spoken for. :-D
Girls, girls, you don't need to fight over me.
Bad dates

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#231 Post by Dawson » 05 Apr 2012, 23:21

Re-watching BSG (just finished season 3) I have one major beef now
Spoiler
The president is the true villain of the piece (Roslin that is)
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34590
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#232 Post by sldawgs » 06 Apr 2012, 05:44

Dawson wrote:Re-watching BSG (just finished season 3) I have one major beef now
Spoiler
The president is the true villain of the piece (Roslin that is)
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet
Spoiler
But isn't that in itself a microcosm of a real society? It's just exagerated because of the limited size of the population. It's sad to say, but it's what makes us human and not Cylon. It's also what probably brought the Cylons down, their seeming need to be more like humans, or their single minded need to destroy the humans. There wasn't any reason at all to attack the colonies, it's a big universe out there, they could have co-existed. Revenge? That's a very human trait. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are no uptopian societies for a reason (sorry for the cross reference but Star Trek proves that one on just about every episode). Anyway, they wouldn't be able to make it last. The closest to it was the Thirteenth Colony but they ended up destroying each other. And as for Roslin and Adama, there are no absolute goods in the world, none. Some of thier actions were incomprehensible but overall, probably the best that could be hoped for. I think that is what made BSG so good. Because you didn't have the perfect president and perfect commander leading the society.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#233 Post by Dawson » 06 Apr 2012, 05:53

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:Re-watching BSG (just finished season 3) I have one major beef now
Spoiler
The president is the true villain of the piece (Roslin that is)
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet
Spoiler
But isn't that in itself a microcosm of a real society? It's just exagerated because of the limited size of the population. It's sad to say, but it's what makes us human and not Cylon. It's also what probably brought the Cylons down, their seeming need to be more like humans, or their single minded need to destroy the humans. There wasn't any reason at all to attack the colonies, it's a big universe out there, they could have co-existed. Revenge? That's a very human trait. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are no uptopian societies for a reason (sorry for the cross reference but Star Trek proves that one on just about every episode). Anyway, they wouldn't be able to make it last. The closest to it was the Thirteenth Colony but they ended up destroying each other. And as for Roslin and Adama, there are no absolute goods in the world, none. Some of thier actions were incomprehensible but overall, probably the best that could be hoped for. I think that is what made BSG so good. Because you didn't have the perfect president and perfect commander leading the society.
Spoiler
But what I'm saying is that Gaius was probably the hero, the things he did for the colonies. He was at fault a lot, and very selfish (very human) but he was really the only one who actualyl repented for his actions. He wasn't up his own arse like the others. the epsiode where cheif heads the union showing that the Capricans were elitist was very telling. You do see more and more in this show each time you watch it
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34590
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#234 Post by sldawgs » 06 Apr 2012, 06:02

Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:Re-watching BSG (just finished season 3) I have one major beef now
Spoiler
The president is the true villain of the piece (Roslin that is)
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet
Spoiler
But isn't that in itself a microcosm of a real society? It's just exagerated because of the limited size of the population. It's sad to say, but it's what makes us human and not Cylon. It's also what probably brought the Cylons down, their seeming need to be more like humans, or their single minded need to destroy the humans. There wasn't any reason at all to attack the colonies, it's a big universe out there, they could have co-existed. Revenge? That's a very human trait. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are no uptopian societies for a reason (sorry for the cross reference but Star Trek proves that one on just about every episode). Anyway, they wouldn't be able to make it last. The closest to it was the Thirteenth Colony but they ended up destroying each other. And as for Roslin and Adama, there are no absolute goods in the world, none. Some of thier actions were incomprehensible but overall, probably the best that could be hoped for. I think that is what made BSG so good. Because you didn't have the perfect president and perfect commander leading the society.
Spoiler
But what I'm saying is that Gaius was probably the hero, the things he did for the colonies. He was at fault a lot, and very selfish (very human) but he was really the only one who actualyl repented for his actions. He wasn't up his own arse like the others. the epsiode where cheif heads the union showing that the Capricans were elitist was very telling. You do see more and more in this show each time you watch it
True, but I wouldn't call him a hero either. He took advantage of a lot of things. I don't really think there are any heroes in the show. Except Helo and Hotdog. ;) There really aren't and villians either. The Cylons had good intentions, at least they thought they were good intentions. No black and white here, it's all just shades of gray.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34590
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Battlestar Galactica (spoilers)

#235 Post by sldawgs » 06 Apr 2012, 06:04

And sense it has been several years since it has ended I don't think there is any need to spoilerize any more. I added the (spoilers) tag to the thread title, so feel free to just speak your mind.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39544
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Battlestar Galactica

#236 Post by alan smithee » 07 Apr 2012, 13:37

Sela wrote:
Middle wrote:
Sela wrote:
It's blocked from youtube. What was it?
The first promo for Galactica: Blood and Chrome. It's the new prequel that features a yound Adama fighting in the 1st Cylon war.

It was pretty cool to see, with the original Cylon fighters, Vipers that looked more like the original series...

As I understand it, they'll have a 90 min. movie to launch it, and then it will be a Web Series. If the promo was any indication, it could be very, very good.
a (currently) unblocked version of the (presumably same) promo

B&C won't be on SyFy—might be a web series
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Post Reply