FilmWise Forums
It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 19:38

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Battlestar Galactica
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 08:59 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Watched the mini-series this week. Enjoyed it enough to splash on the Blu-ray box-set (£1.70 cheaper than the DVD box-set) as a surprise for the wife.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 15:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nunis wrote:
I should have been Laura Roslin instead of the hybrid. Otherwise, spot on. :D

Spoken for. :-D

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 06:51 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Nunis wrote:

I've already apologized profusely........

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 21:30 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Sela wrote:
Nunis wrote:

I've already apologized profusely........

I still have clearly not quite forgiven you. :D

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 21:39 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Mazer wrote:
Nunis wrote:

Spoken for. :-D

Girls, girls, you don't need to fight over me.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 23:21 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Re-watching BSG (just finished season 3) I have one major beef now

Spoiler
The president is the true villain of the piece (Roslin that is)
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 05:44 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Dawson wrote:

Spoiler
She is basically running a dictatorship, some facist movement, along with her Adama. And she only cosies up to him to get her way.
In season 3, when Gaius is finally arrested, he is beaten, tortured, and Roslin speaks of wanting a 'good old fashioned book burning'

What exactly did Gaius do wrong on New Caprica? He was forced to do things that meant nothing. He knew that if he signed the papers or not, the same would happen, so he bided his time.

No, it's roslin. She is pure evil. Closely followed by Lee Adama (wrecking lives with his love life, selfish)

In fact, most of the main characters are truly selfish, thinking they are better than anyone. Everyone has a bad timne, but they can't cope, they need to be mollycoddled.
Only Helo and HotDog actually stay true in the film and do what is right and do the job for the good of the fleet

Spoiler
But isn't that in itself a microcosm of a real society? It's just exagerated because of the limited size of the population. It's sad to say, but it's what makes us human and not Cylon. It's also what probably brought the Cylons down, their seeming need to be more like humans, or their single minded need to destroy the humans. There wasn't any reason at all to attack the colonies, it's a big universe out there, they could have co-existed. Revenge? That's a very human trait. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are no uptopian societies for a reason (sorry for the cross reference but Star Trek proves that one on just about every episode). Anyway, they wouldn't be able to make it last. The closest to it was the Thirteenth Colony but they ended up destroying each other. And as for Roslin and Adama, there are no absolute goods in the world, none. Some of thier actions were incomprehensible but overall, probably the best that could be hoped for. I think that is what made BSG so good. Because you didn't have the perfect president and perfect commander leading the society.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 05:53 

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:

Spoiler

Spoiler
But isn't that in itself a microcosm of a real society? It's just exagerated because of the limited size of the population. It's sad to say, but it's what makes us human and not Cylon. It's also what probably brought the Cylons down, their seeming need to be more like humans, or their single minded need to destroy the humans. There wasn't any reason at all to attack the colonies, it's a big universe out there, they could have co-existed. Revenge? That's a very human trait. I am a firm believer in the fact that there are no uptopian societies for a reason (sorry for the cross reference but Star Trek proves that one on just about every episode). Anyway, they wouldn't be able to make it last. The closest to it was the Thirteenth Colony but they ended up destroying each other. And as for Roslin and Adama, there are no absolute goods in the world, none. Some of thier actions were incomprehensible but overall, probably the best that could be hoped for. I think that is what made BSG so good. Because you didn't have the perfect president and perfect commander leading the society.

Spoiler
But what I'm saying is that Gaius was probably the hero, the things he did for the colonies. He was at fault a lot, and very selfish (very human) but he was really the only one who actualyl repented for his actions. He wasn't up his own arse like the others. the epsiode where cheif heads the union showing that the Capricans were elitist was very telling. You do see more and more in this show each time you watch it

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 06:02 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
But what I'm saying is that Gaius was probably the hero, the things he did for the colonies. He was at fault a lot, and very selfish (very human) but he was really the only one who actualyl repented for his actions. He wasn't up his own arse like the others. the epsiode where cheif heads the union showing that the Capricans were elitist was very telling. You do see more and more in this show each time you watch it

True, but I wouldn't call him a hero either. He took advantage of a lot of things. I don't really think there are any heroes in the show. Except Helo and Hotdog. ;) There really aren't and villians either. The Cylons had good intentions, at least they thought they were good intentions. No black and white here, it's all just shades of gray.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 06:04 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

And sense it has been several years since it has ended I don't think there is any need to spoilerize any more. I added the (spoilers) tag to the thread title, so feel free to just speak your mind.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 13:37 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Sela wrote:
Middle wrote:
Sela wrote:

It's blocked from youtube. What was it?

The first promo for Galactica: Blood and Chrome. It's the new prequel that features a yound Adama fighting in the 1st Cylon war.

It was pretty cool to see, with the original Cylon fighters, Vipers that looked more like the original series...

As I understand it, they'll have a 90 min. movie to launch it, and then it will be a Web Series. If the promo was any indication, it could be very, very good.

a (currently) unblocked version of the (presumably same) promo

B&C won't be on SyFy—might be a web series

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10