American Idol 6 (Audience 2)

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

American Idol 6 (Audience 2)

#1 Post by JJ » 26 Jan 2006, 08:48

Did they instruct Randy to be meaner this year? It's a good turn if they did.

And "You look like the Incredible Hulk's wife." is the best one liner on tv so far this year.

I've also counted at least five contestants who are much better than Fantasia. WTF was the country thinking?
Last edited by JJ on 19 Feb 2007, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
La la la la la.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#2 Post by Batman » 26 Jan 2006, 09:04

I think they might have pushed it a little too far when they tag-teamed those two mentally challenged guys: the one that wore PJs and the amateur inventor. I think they were both on the Forrest Gump side of the IQ test. Is it really that funny to make fun of the mentally challenged?

Well, maybe for him.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#3 Post by JJ » 26 Jan 2006, 09:14

Batman wrote:I think they might have pushed it a little too far when they tag-teamed those two mentally challenged guys: the one that wore PJs and the amateur inventor. I think they were both on the Forrest Gump side of the IQ test. Is it really that funny to make fun of the mentally challenged?
This question itself is pretty easily answered, but hits at the crux of the AI 'problem': to what extent do the performers deserve derision and outright mockery? Given that this society doles out self-esteem and worth quite freely to people who have no concept of earning it, I'm willing to give the judges a lot of leniency in this regard. But yeah, at times it gets uncomfortable to watch them go too far.
La la la la la.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#4 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jan 2006, 09:16

Fantasia is awesome. What are you thinking?

Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the mediocre Idols. Clay Aiken would have beaten either of them.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#5 Post by JJ » 26 Jan 2006, 09:22

Steel Frog wrote:Fantasia is awesome. What are you thinking?
She sucks. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Steel Frog wrote:Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the mediocre Idols. Clay Aiken would have beaten either of them.
Clarkson is quite good. Underwood seems likely to make it in her little country world (and there wasn't anyone better that year). I doubt Clay would have even made it to the finals of S1. He would have taken Underwood last year.

And Ruben Stoddard should singing Disney tunes (and, hey, there's a decent market for that).

But only Fantasia makes me want to shoot the radio. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
La la la la la.

Batman

#6 Post by Batman » 26 Jan 2006, 09:23

Steel Frog wrote:Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the mediocre Idols. Clay Aiken would have beaten either of them.
Not in a fist fight.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#7 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jan 2006, 09:31

Batman wrote:
Not in a fist fight.
Well, you got me there.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8 Post by Jimothy » 26 Jan 2006, 15:51

I'm gonna have to say, I enjoyed this more than Lost last night. But then it starts to get serious, and I lose interest.

(By the way, Clarkson's the clear cut best Idol - where did everyone else go with their "careers"?)
Image Image

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#9 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jan 2006, 15:54

Jimothy wrote:I'm gonna have to say, I enjoyed this more than Lost last night. But then it starts to get serious, and I lose interest.

(By the way, Clarkson's the clear cut best Idol - where did everyone else go with their "careers"?)
Clarkson is, for now, the most successful Idol. I think there's a big difference between talent and success.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by Jimothy » 26 Jan 2006, 15:55

Well personally, I thought she had the most talent too. Admittadely I haven't heard much from anyone else, but I enjoy her way more than I should.
Image Image

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#11 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jan 2006, 15:59

Jimothy wrote:Well personally, I thought she had the most talent too. Admittadely I haven't heard much from anyone else, but I enjoy her way more than I should.
Fair enough. Countless are the songstresses I have enjoyed more than I should have...anyone else been to a Belinda Carlisle concert? :roll:

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#12 Post by » 27 Jan 2006, 06:50

How much of thes early episodes of Idol is scripted?

I actually have no problem believing there are enough actual freaks who will come out to audition to give them plenty to work with. However, at what point did they ask all of the terrible ones to sing the same song (I've already forgotten what it was) for that clip at the end? In many cases it would have had to had been prior to the judges voting because after the results the people stormed/sulked away and wouldn't have wanted to sing anymore.

This post feels really poorly written, btw, I just don;t have the energy to go back and edit it into something better.
The :) means it's all ok.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by Will » 27 Jan 2006, 06:59

Steel Frog wrote:
Jimothy wrote:I'm gonna have to say, I enjoyed this more than Lost last night. But then it starts to get serious, and I lose interest.

Clarkson is, for now, the most successful Idol. I think there's a big difference between talent and success.
I was watching Football last weekend(can't remember if it was the AFC or NFC game) and I heard the girl singing the national anthem and thought "Hmm that's one of the better enditions I've heard in a while." When I was later informed that the girl singing was in fact Carrie Underwood from AI, I flogged myself for giving even the slightest amount of approval to this shite.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

#14 Post by » 27 Jan 2006, 07:06

Will wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

I was watching Football last weekend(can't remember if it was the AFC or NFC game) and I heard the girl singing the national anthem and thought "Hmm that's one of the better enditions I've heard in a while." When I was later informed that the girl singing was in fact Carrie Underwood from AI, I flogged myself for giving even the slightest amount of approval to this shite.
I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd game (SEA/CAR)

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#15 Post by kinggrl » 28 Jan 2006, 18:11

A2 wrote:How much of thes early episodes of Idol is scripted?

I actually have no problem believing there are enough actual freaks who will come out to audition to give them plenty to work with. However, at what point did they ask all of the terrible ones to sing the same song (I've already forgotten what it was) for that clip at the end? In many cases it would have had to had been prior to the judges voting because after the results the people stormed/sulked away and wouldn't have wanted to sing anymore.

This post feels really poorly written, btw, I just don;t have the energy to go back and edit it into something better.
We don't see the whole audition. Everyone from each city is given a certain song to sing along with one of their choosing. Hence why they can have those "montages."

Batman

#16 Post by Batman » 29 Jan 2006, 00:39

kinggrl wrote:
A2 wrote:How much of thes early episodes of Idol is scripted?

We don't see the whole audition. Everyone from each city is given a certain song to sing along with one of their choosing. Hence why they can have those "montages."
I thought they called them "caplettes".

#17 Post by » 21 Feb 2006, 06:25

So, my wife and I decided to play fantasy American Idol this season. We had our draft last night. Scoring system is simple. Each round you survive is worth one more point than the last (i/e survive round 1- 1 point, surivive round 2- 2 points, etc.)

Anyway, here are our teams:

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

what's that?
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#18 Post by what's that? » 21 Feb 2006, 06:45

A2 wrote:So, my wife and I decided to play fantasy American Idol this season. We had our draft last night. Scoring system is simple. Each round you survive is worth one more point than the last (i/e survive round 1- 1 point, surivive round 2- 2 points, etc.)

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

Paris rocks. This is the winning team.

#19 Post by » 21 Feb 2006, 06:51

what's that? wrote:
A2 wrote:So, my wife and I decided to play fantasy American Idol this season. We had our draft last night. Scoring system is simple. Each round you survive is worth one more point than the last (i/e survive round 1- 1 point, surivive round 2- 2 points, etc.)

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

She was my first pick.

Fever Dog
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#20 Post by Fever Dog » 21 Feb 2006, 09:52

A2 wrote:
what's that? wrote:

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

She was my first pick.
Well, I love Paris but she seems to be a little too sheltered and buttoned up. I think Lisa is going to win it. She's more sassy ( :roll: couldn't think of a better word) and her voice is equal to Paris. and she's a little more modern- the way she dresses and the songs she picks....

Don't get me wrong- Paris was my favorite right from the start. However, I just don't think her style is going to ultimately win over the teeny boppers that are calling in each week.
I would rather be having a burger and beers with my mates but I can't do that when I know I've got to dance!

#21 Post by » 21 Feb 2006, 11:21

Fever Dog wrote:
A2 wrote:
what's that? wrote:

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

She was my first pick.
Well, I love Paris but she seems to be a little too sheltered and buttoned up. I think Lisa is going to win it. She's more sassy ( :roll: couldn't think of a better word) and her voice is equal to Paris. and she's a little more modern- the way she dresses and the songs she picks....

Don't get me wrong- Paris was my favorite right from the start. However, I just don't think her style is going to ultimately win over the teeny boppers that are calling in each week.
unfortunately for this theory, teeny bobbers aren't necessarily the largest demographic of AI viewers

Fever Dog
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#22 Post by Fever Dog » 21 Feb 2006, 11:47

A2 wrote:
Fever Dog wrote:
A2 wrote:
what's that? wrote:

A2's team
Becky
Bobby
Brenna
Chris
Gedeon
Katherine
Kevin
Mandisa
Paris
Patrick
Stevie
Sway

Fever's team
Ace
Ayla
Bucky
David
Elliot
Heather
Kellie
Kinnik
Lisa
Melissa
Taylor
Will

She was my first pick.

unfortunately for this theory, teeny bobbers aren't necessarily the largest demographic of AI viewers
you're saying "viewer" and I'm saying "caller" - a person can be both or one or the other. I would say we are "viewers" because we have no intention on calling in to make a vote- much like most of the people I know. But I always hear about teenage girls being the most likely to make the phone call votes... I'm sure other people do...
I would rather be having a burger and beers with my mates but I can't do that when I know I've got to dance!

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#23 Post by JJ » 22 Feb 2006, 22:25

I'm rooting for Chris.

I've only been paying slight attention this year, so I just saw Bucky for the first time. I heard him speak and said, "Man, he's gonna sing Freebird."

I see he branched out.

BTW, the guys sucked (as always). Maybe 4 of them deserve to go on. About 8 of the girls do.
La la la la la.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by Toasty » 23 Feb 2006, 06:09

ANOTHER tv show I love for all the wrong reasons... I am still ribbing the contestants well into Hollywood week.

What was up with the John Mayer wannabe? Singing an old soul jam wearing a khaki corduroy blazer, a plain jane striped button down shirt and that (much past trendy) hockeyboy hairdo? Get these people some stylists!!

Same goes for the kid with the pinchable cheeks... that kind of cute ain't what sells records

The cocky dude whose smile bugs Simon needs a coreographer to explain why acting out the lyrics to your song is STUPID.
"Kick me heels up"... Yeah, I heard you, I get the vibe, you don't have to demonstrate...
Can somebody please find "cool" around here?

Oh, and when your singing a soul shaker like that... don't give me that perfectly annunciated grammar voice either... "Shout" is supposed to be sexy and dirty. That dude needs to go watch Animal House.

I happen to think Simon is the only worthwhile judge on the show at this stage, this year.

But I did like, "What's his name" Yasim, at the end (Simon loved him too, go figure). He came out and nailed Stevie Wonder and showed how soul is supposed to be performed... he dressed it, he sang it, he strutted it.
My girlfriend went from hating his looks when he got on stage, straight to... "Dang, he is cute!" as that song neared it's end.

I thought Paula was going orgasm on the spot when baldy was winking at her.
Elegant Violence

VoteforPedro
Director
Director

#25 Post by VoteforPedro » 23 Feb 2006, 08:27

My favorite girls are
Kelly PicklerImage

and Lisa Tucker Image

And after last night my new favorite for the whole show is
Ace Young Image

with a far second being Chris DaughtryImage

And someone please tell me WTF is up with this guy: Image