Guitar Hero / Rock Band

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#201 Post by bing » 28 Feb 2008, 09:08

Managed to save 3 powerups, including whammy and got to the Johnny part, but I spazzed out and sent two attacks at once that left him at blinking red.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#202 Post by JJ » 28 Feb 2008, 09:10

bing wrote:Managed to save 3 powerups, including whammy and got to the Johnny part, but I spazzed out and sent two attacks at once that left him at blinking red.
Damnit. You're going to force me to go back and play him.
La la la la la.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#203 Post by JJ » 28 Feb 2008, 14:47

bing, have you tried hyperspeed yet? I still haven't for "ethical" reasons.
La la la la la.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#204 Post by bing » 28 Feb 2008, 17:29

JJ wrote:bing, have you tried hyperspeed yet? I still haven't for "ethical" reasons.
I tried it for easy when I thought it actually made the song go faster, but haven't used it otherwise.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#205 Post by JJ » 28 Feb 2008, 20:26

Here's a couple videos of the best GHIII player in the world.

Part I is him talking in his (high school?) speech class, explaining the basics of how the game works.
Part II is him following up his brief lecture with a rendition of Through the Fire and Flames. He scores ~820,000, well off his high (and the world record) of 885,549.

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q7imw2hodM
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUOCSz1QhA
La la la la la.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#206 Post by JJ » 28 Feb 2008, 20:37

JJ wrote:Here's a couple videos of the best GHIII player in the world.

Part I is him talking in his (high school?) speech class, explaining the basics of how the game works.
Part II is him following up his brief lecture with a rendition of Through the Fire and Flames. He scores ~820,000, well off his high (and the world record) of 885,549.

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q7imw2hodM
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUOCSz1QhA
Here's a video of him getting the world record on TtFaF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0IgTY-OcM

He strums loud enough that you can hear it -- even the strumming alone is insane. He also taps loudly enough at the start to make me think it's possible to do.
La la la la la.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#207 Post by » 29 Feb 2008, 00:09

JJ wrote:

He strums loud enough that you can hear it -- even the strumming alone is insane. He also taps loudly enough at the start to make me think it's possible to do.
I can't believe the best player in the world uses that Poison looking character.
The :) means it's all ok.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#208 Post by bing » 29 Feb 2008, 06:38

A² wrote:
JJ wrote:

I can't believe the best player in the world uses that Poison looking character.
:green:

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#209 Post by JJ » 29 Feb 2008, 07:05

bing wrote:
A² wrote:
JJ wrote:

Different characters have different fret boards; some fret boards are more distracting than others, so my understanding is the better players pick the ones that are the least annoying.

(The thing that most annoys me is that one character who shoots off glowing pentagrams or something.)
La la la la la.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#210 Post by JJ » 29 Feb 2008, 08:55

Oh, and I went back to GHII (X) yesterday. Freya was annoying (there's a long bridge section I had to skip frequent notes during), but I'm on to tier six.

Looking forward to Carry Me Home on the higher difficulty. :roll:
La la la la la.

#211 Post by » 29 Feb 2008, 12:47

JJ wrote:
bing wrote:
A² wrote:
JJ wrote:

Different characters have different fret boards; some fret boards are more distracting than others, so my understanding is the better players pick the ones that are the least annoying.

(The thing that most annoys me is that one character who shoots off glowing pentagrams or something.)
I could see that. I used to use Pandora on GHII but when star power is activated the notes are a lot harder to see against the blue fretboard.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#212 Post by JJ » 01 Mar 2008, 15:36

Only two songs left to go to complete GHI (X). Unfortunately, the intro to Cowboys from Hell looks barely possible/passable. Maybe I'll actually try it now.
La la la la la.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#213 Post by bing » 01 Mar 2008, 19:24

Beat lou. Saved up two powerups, then just used them as I got them and focused on staying alive. Seemed to work.

#214 Post by » 01 Mar 2008, 22:34

bing wrote:Beat lou. Saved up two powerups, then just used them as I got them and focused on staying alive. Seemed to work.
Not that there was any doubt but that makes you the undisputed FW champ.

#215 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 02:10

Inspired by Bings triumph I upped some of my scores on tier 1 of GHIII (expert) and after getting used to that speed for a couple of hours I went back and finally bested Raining Blood on hard.

My hand is killing me but I feel obliged to try to take down Metallica while I'm on such a roll.

#216 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 02:42

Damn. I played "One" 4 times and on the 3rd try I failed at 91%. I really thought I had it. At least now I'm not afraid anymore. It's within my reach. I feel like Rocky after he cut Drago above his eye.

bdude
Director
Director

#217 Post by bdude » 02 Mar 2008, 15:55

A² wrote:Damn. I played "One" 4 times and on the 3rd try I failed at 91%. I really thought I had it. At least now I'm not afraid anymore. It's within my reach. I feel like Rocky after he cut Drago above his eye.
Wow, I totally know what the hell you're talking about.

#218 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 17:18

After about an hour of warm-up I went after "One" again this afternoon. I failed at 91% again and then on my 3rd try finally beat it. I tried waiting a little longer to unleash my star power and that seemed to do the trick. Of course, Lou promptly kicked my ass, needing only two attacks to send me away.

#219 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 17:28

Do you guys have the classic rock pack with Journey and Boston? That "Peace of Mind" on expert has the most ridiculous serious of chords strung together. I'm sure it can be done with some practice but it seems so difficult now. I'd say its the biggest gap between easy to play in real life and hardest to play in the game of any song I've tried.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#220 Post by JJ » 02 Mar 2008, 19:44

A² wrote:Do you guys have the classic rock pack with Journey and Boston? That "Peace of Mind" on expert has the most ridiculous serious of chords strung together. I'm sure it can be done with some practice but it seems so difficult now. I'd say its the biggest gap between easy to play in real life and hardest to play in the game of any song I've tried.
Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

The chart is here:

http://www.bradleyzoo.com/GuitarHero/gh ... y.best.png

Honestly, the chord changes (while complicated) look somewhat minor compared to expert tier seven (which is a triple chord nightmare fest).
La la la la la.

#221 Post by » 02 Mar 2008, 19:54

JJ wrote:
Honestly, the chord changes (while complicated) look somewhat minor compared to expert tier seven (which is a triple chord nightmare fest).
I still have to get past Welcome to the Jungle and several other as yet unknown landmines before I'll have to worry abotu that.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#222 Post by bing » 02 Mar 2008, 20:04

A² wrote:
JJ wrote:
I still have to get past Welcome to the Jungle and several other as yet unknown landmines before I'll have to worry abotu that.
Jungle is actually pretty easy once you get the main hook down. It's not like some of the songs that have sections that are nearly impossible to play.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#223 Post by JJ » 02 Mar 2008, 21:07

bing wrote:
A² wrote:
JJ wrote:
Jungle is actually pretty easy once you get the main hook down. It's not like some of the songs that have sections that are nearly impossible to play.
(For me,) Jungle took taking the main riff to practice mode to slow (the highest speed below full speed). Doing that a few times got the rhythm.

I had to just do the same thing with Peace of Mind (X). But now that's finished; it's actually a pretty fun song to play. The intro and verses are a bit like 3s and 7s, but not as difficult (I've slowed down that one, but still can't quite do that -- it asks you to strum and move your hand too fast; I'll probably have to get the rhythm down on hard before I can solve it). And there are some easier sections to recover in the middle.
La la la la la.

justdrewit
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#224 Post by justdrewit » 03 Mar 2008, 08:09

I'm stuck on The Metal on expert, and my buddy only lacks Raining Blood from getting 5 stars on all the songs on expert.
Man, what is happenin'? Long time, no see.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#225 Post by JJ » 03 Mar 2008, 08:20

justdrewit wrote:I'm stuck on The Metal on expert, and my buddy only lacks Raining Blood from getting 5 stars on all the songs on expert.
Your buddy rules, of course.

I took a bunch of tries on The Metal (X), failing at 90+% (as bing says, the "easy part) on a few of them. Once you get the hammer-on/pull-off from the start sort of ok, it's not so bad. Though I screw up a bunch on the middle section.

Tier 7 (X) is annoying enough that I'm planning to take a break (playing GHI/II/80s, trying to get full comboes on 50 GHIII medium songs, etc.) and come back it. I'm really not a fan of three-fingered chords.
La la la la la.