Guitar Hero / Rock Band

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band

#926 Post by alan smithee » 24 Aug 2009, 00:46

JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:haven't played for probably a few months now; played Cliffs of Dover (H) to warm up, then Same Old Song and Dance (X), on which I set a personal best

SOS&D (X), my score: 126,700
SOS&D (X), :5stars: score: 127,325

:roll:
wd

Did you hit the bridge part I always throw away points on? [The part with "old time connection, change your direction..." that gets split by the sax solo.]
ty

I hit every note on both bridge parts, as well as on the sax solo. I still almost always fuck up the riff that appears, among other places, at the very beginning of the song.
np

I've never hit the bridge. So I'd guess you're throwing away a bunch of points by not hitting the repetitive crap. But then you knew that.
:green:
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#927 Post by You Know, for Kids » 24 Aug 2009, 06:20

alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:haven't played for probably a few months now; played Cliffs of Dover (H) to warm up, then Same Old Song and Dance (X), on which I set a personal best

wd

Did you hit the bridge part I always throw away points on? [The part with "old time connection, change your direction..." that gets split by the sax solo.]
ty

I hit every note on both bridge parts, as well as on the sax solo. I still almost always fuck up the riff that appears, among other places, at the very beginning of the song.
np

I've never hit the bridge. So I'd guess you're throwing away a bunch of points by not hitting the repetitive crap. But then you knew that.
Where's that confounded bridge? /crunge
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#928 Post by JJ » 24 Aug 2009, 07:04

You Know, for Kids wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:

wd

ty

np

Where's that confounded bridge? /crunge
Does anyone know why Plant has a conversation with himself at the end of that song? "Have you seen the bridge?" "I ain't seen the bridge."
La la la la la.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#929 Post by JJ » 08 Sep 2009, 05:27

Got GHV. Better "engine" than any of the previous games (that is, the timing window is superior), probably most comparable to that in Rock Band Deux.

Still have one song to beat on Expert in the game. Done with Everything, Die for Nothing. Not sure if it's going to happen, though it's certainly not as hard as Raining Blood or Jordan. Maybe it's comparable to Six.

Kurt Cobain and Johnny Cash coming back as characters should not have happened. Also, you can play with four guitars should you wish to. And the drop in/drop out no-fail party mode works pretty well.

The song list is (just) OK.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#930 Post by alan smithee » 08 Sep 2009, 10:20

JJ wrote:Kurt Cobain and Johnny Cash coming back as characters should not have happened.
are they at least premortem versions?

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#931 Post by sldawgs » 08 Sep 2009, 10:33

alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:Kurt Cobain and Johnny Cash coming back as characters should not have happened.
are they at least premortem versions?
Actually Guitar Hero: Undead sounds pretty fun.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#932 Post by Steel Frog » 08 Sep 2009, 10:56

sldawgs wrote:Actually Guitar Hero: Undead sounds pretty fun.
Or less.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#933 Post by knarf » 08 Sep 2009, 11:17

Steel Frog wrote:
sldawgs wrote:Actually Guitar Hero: Undead sounds pretty fun.
Or less.
Well...
"Hold on to your butts."

alan smithee

#934 Post by alan smithee » 08 Sep 2009, 16:26

Rock Band: The Beatles Rock Band featuring The Beatles in Rock Band (or whatever the hell it's called) is pretty fun. The harmony vocals are cool, but I'm not sure how it'll work with people who can't sing. (I only tried singing once, and then only the easy part (the lead).)

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#935 Post by JJ » 08 Sep 2009, 18:08

alan smithee wrote:Rock Band: The Beatles Rock Band featuring The Beatles in Rock Band (or whatever the hell it's called) is pretty fun. The harmony vocals are cool, but I'm not sure how it'll work with people who can't sing. (I only tried singing once, and then only the easy part (the lead).)
Where did you play it? Isn't it out tomorrow?
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#936 Post by alan smithee » 08 Sep 2009, 18:23

JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:Rock Band: The Beatles Rock Band featuring The Beatles in Rock Band (or whatever the hell it's called) is pretty fun. The harmony vocals are cool, but I'm not sure how it'll work with people who can't sing. (I only tried singing once, and then only the easy part (the lead).)
Where did you play it? Isn't it out tomorrow?
There was a tent at Outside Lands with four Xboxes set up with big TVs and whatnot.

alan smithee

#937 Post by alan smithee » 19 Sep 2009, 01:07

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#938 Post by JJ » 19 Sep 2009, 08:55

University of Michigan Paper wrote:Game of Beatles Rock Band ruined by weird Asian girlfriend

Thursday, September 17, 2009

JEFFERSON — Four U of M housemates living on E. Liberty were ecstatic upon their joint purchase of the new Beatles Rock Band last week, however, tensions began to flare up within the group after housemate Ben Lawson began a relationship with Lilly Cho, a sophomore in Michigan’s art school.

The group made an immediate splash in the neighborhood with a live performance of the Beatle’s early songs in their living room, to which they invited a number of neighbors. They soon moved a TV onto their porch and began performing to huge, screaming crowds. “They were just so talented,” said fan Mia Kuipers. “If they were simply awesome Rock Band players that would be one thing, but they put on a special performance for each level. These guys rock!”

Eventually, however, the live shows became too hectic for the lads from Liberty. “We would have loved to keep doing them,” said Greg Peterson, who played George in the group. “But when you’re not able to hear the sound from the TV and all you have to go on is what’s on the screen it just gets to be too difficult. We had to go back to the studio.”

Following this decision the group began its most prolific period of gameplay, completing Sgt. Pepper’s with near-perfect scores all around. However this is also when conflict began to arise within the group. “We were just getting started on the songs from ‘The White Album’ when Ben told us he had to take a break to see his new girlfriend,” said Pete O’Connor, the group’s Paul. “We had just come back from a great visit to our friend from India and had a lot of great energy, and this really took the wind out of our sails.”

Lawson met Cho at a student show at the art school and was interested in Cho’s exhibit entitled “Screw a Screw,” a conceptual piece that had patrons screw screws into a blank board. The couple began IM-ing and texting frequently. While Lawson’s then-girlfriend Celia was out of town, they had their first date. Cho came over and she and Lawson reportedly played an older version of Rock Band, though witnesses claimed it was more of the two “mashing buttons,” and “screaming into the mic,” than it was actual gameplay. The relationship took a heavy toll on the Rock Band rock band.

“He kept bringing her along when we were trying to play,” said O’Connor. “He wanted us to let her play too, but when we told him that wouldn’t work they ended up sharing a controller. It took us so long to finish ‘Something’ I was about to kill him myself.”

The group beat the game with a final, unannounced live performance of songsfrom Let It Be from the roof of their house. “We did come together for that,” said drummer Rich Staley, “but we were all really more interested in starting our own solo games of Rock Band at that point.” Lawson continued his relationship with Cho following the group’s split and had arguably the best solo game until he was tragically shot outside the BellTower Hotel last weekend.
http://www.everythreeweekly.com/story/g ... girlfriend
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#939 Post by alan smithee » 19 Sep 2009, 10:17

JJ wrote:
University of Michigan Paper wrote:The group made an immediate splash in the neighborhood with a live performance of the Beatle’s early songs in their living room
wd, UoMP

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#940 Post by JJ » 19 Sep 2009, 11:04

alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
University of Michigan Paper wrote:The group made an immediate splash in the neighborhood with a live performance of the Beatle’s early songs in their living room
wd, UoMP
C'mon, it's a public school.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#941 Post by alan smithee » 19 Sep 2009, 11:15

JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
wd, UoMP

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#942 Post by JJ » 19 Sep 2009, 11:40

alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
wd, UoMP
La la la la la.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#943 Post by Ruddy016 » 23 Sep 2009, 11:29

Guitar Hero V would have been much better with a bit more edge. Skid Row should have been on there by now :roll:
Gunga Na Gunga

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#944 Post by JJ » 23 Sep 2009, 13:22

Ruddy016 wrote:Guitar Hero V would have been much better with a bit more edge. Skid Row should have been on there by now :roll:
Did you not get GH:80's?

BTW, finally beat every song on GHV(X). Hyperspeed 4 helped.
La la la la la.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#945 Post by Ruddy016 » 24 Sep 2009, 10:05

JJ wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:Guitar Hero V would have been much better with a bit more edge. Skid Row should have been on there by now :roll:

No sign of it in the UK, Aeorsmith and Metallica get their own (quite deserved) games. Would love a Skid Row edition.
Gunga Na Gunga

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#946 Post by Gren » 24 Sep 2009, 21:08

Ruddy016 wrote:
JJ wrote:

No sign of it in the UK, Aeorsmith and Metallica get their own (quite deserved) games. Would love a Skid Row edition.
How about now?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#947 Post by Ruddy016 » 25 Sep 2009, 09:06

Gren wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
JJ wrote:

How about now?
It's slipped off my radar, I'd have to get the PS2 out of the loft (my PS3 isn't backwards compatible GRRRR).

Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock :evil:
Gunga Na Gunga

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#948 Post by Batman » 25 Sep 2009, 09:26

Ruddy016 wrote:
Gren wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
JJ wrote:

How about now?
It's slipped off my radar, I'd have to get the PS2 out of the loft (my PS3 isn't backwards compatible GRRRR).

I thought all of the PS3s were backwards-compatible with PS2 games. What gives?
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#949 Post by JJ » 26 Sep 2009, 05:58

Batman wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
Gren wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
JJ wrote:

How about now?

Most of the new ones aren't, IIRC. My 80GB is only somewhat BC (and one of the things it sucks on is GH, though it sorta works). The 60GB were fully BC, but too expensive for Sony to make.
La la la la la.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#950 Post by knarf » 26 Sep 2009, 19:55

JJ wrote:
Batman wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
Gren wrote:
Ruddy016 wrote:
JJ wrote:

How about now?

Most of the new ones aren't, IIRC. My 80GB is only somewhat BC (and one of the things it sucks on is GH, though it sorta works). The 60GB were fully BC, but too expensive for Sony to make.
Pretty pathetic, especially after they made those commercials claiming everything would always be backwards compatible (when the PS2 came out, I think).
"Hold on to your butts."