FilmWise Forums
It is currently 19 May 2019, 16:48

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 09:39 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
oddly enough, I don't have that song in my head.
I have this song stuck in my head:

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 18:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I have been listening to that man’s music since I was literally too young to understand 99% of it. And yet I think that’s the first time I’ve ever actually seen him. It just never occurred to me to You Tube it.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 20:17 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Buckykatt wrote:
I have been listening to that man’s music since I was literally too young to understand 99% of it. And yet I think that’s the first time I’ve ever actually seen him. It just never occurred to me to You Tube it.

To me, that man is a genius, both in lyrics and humor (see box set "remains of Tom Lehrer")

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 06:43 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Scruluce wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

To me, that man is a genius, both in lyrics and humor (see box set "remains of Tom Lehrer")

I have no idea if time will be kind, but I consider Lehrer the best lyricist since Gilbert and/or Sullivan (whichever wrote, I can't remember and I hated Topsy Turvy, so I'm not looking it up)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 11:25 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Steel Frog wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

I have no idea if time will be kind, but I consider Lehrer the best lyricist since Gilbert and/or Sullivan (whichever wrote, I can't remember and I hated Topsy Turvy, so I'm not looking it up)

the A.S.S. was the composer (and W.S.G. was the librettist)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 07:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

And how on earth have I never discovered his Electric Company songs until now?!!??

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 07:08 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Buckykatt wrote:
And how on earth have I never discovered his Electric Company songs until now?!!??

I had no idea those were him (but to be fair, it's been over 40 years since I watched them). Silent E was a favorite for mee. :)

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 14:09 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

knarf wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

I had no idea those were him (but to be fair, it's been over 40 years since I watched them). Silent E was a favorite for mee. :)

I have a playlist on USB in my car that is played on any trip over 30 minutes. It has All of his Electric Company songs, a lot of Dr Dementia show stuff, Weird Al, Animaniacs ... The kids love it, even at 15 and 17.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 09:03 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Scruluce wrote:
knarf wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

I have a playlist on USB in my car that is played on any trip over 30 minutes. It has All of his Electric Company songs, a lot of Dr Dementia show stuff, Weird Al, Animaniacs ... The kids love it, even at 15 and 17.

Is there a compilation of his Electric Company songs available anywhere, or have you just picked them up piecemeal over the years? (I see some of them are in the Remains of Tom Lehrer you referenced above, but not all I don't think?)

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 09:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Okay, it's been stuck in my head for days, everyone has to suffer along with me. And by the way, if you're not watching this show on SyFy--which is The Magicians--I urge you to do so. The first season is a little meh, seems like a Potter derivative with sex and drugs added. The second season was very heavy on exposition for me, but the third (just ended) season knocked it out of the fucking park in my opinion. The problem is, for this season to really work and have full impact, you have to be know and be invested in these characters, so I get that it's a big commitment. (I described it to SF the other day as a long con, where you have to go all in to get the payoff) But I think it's worth it.

argh, why can I never get the Youtube tags to work? What am I doing wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyK3FyvXcGA

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 10:23 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Buckykatt wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
knarf wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

Is there a compilation of his Electric Company songs available anywhere, or have you just picked them up piecemeal over the years? (I see some of them are in the Remains of Tom Lehrer you referenced above, but not all I don't think?)

I'm sure I can drop them somewhere for you to pick up. I think I acquired them from multiple collections. "Silent E" and "L-Y" are favorites for us. "O-U" is more silly than fun. "S-N" shows a lot of talent on his part, but isn't as clever as the "E" and "L-Y".

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 10:30 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Buckykatt wrote:
Okay, it's been stuck in my head for days, everyone has to suffer along with me. And by the way, if you're not watching this show on SyFy--which is The Magicians--I urge you to do so. The first season is a little meh, seems like a Potter derivative with sex and drugs added. The second season was very heavy on exposition for me, but the third (just ended) season knocked it out of the fucking park in my opinion. The problem is, for this season to really work and have full impact, you have to be know and be invested in these characters, so I get that it's a big commitment. (I described it to SF the other day as a long con, where you have to go all in to get the payoff) But I think it's worth it.

this is hilarious, even without the additional context.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 12:37 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Buckykatt wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyK3FyvXcGA

I'm guessing it's the "s" in "https". Get rid of that and you should be okay.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 17:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Thanks—Scruluce suggested the same thing. I tried that from work and instead all I got was a huge blank space in the post. I think it must be some kind of interaction with the work firewall, because from there, I can’t see the Lehrer video either—-it’s just a big blank space in the post with no link or anything.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2018, 08:32 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Buckykatt wrote:
Thanks—Scruluce suggested the same thing. I tried that from work and instead all I got was a huge blank space in the post. I think it must be some kind of interaction with the work firewall, because from there, I can’t see the Lehrer video either—-it’s just a big blank space in the post with no link or anything.

that would explain it... so when your posting from work, a big blank space means you did it correctly :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22