All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mark Spitz is a douche
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 13:58 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

yahoo wrote:
Spitz, once the star, upset over Beijing snub

by Polly Hui 15 hours, 34 minutes ago

HONG KONG (AFP) - US swim legend Mark Spitz won't be on hand in Beijing if Michael Phelps breaks his record of seven gold medals at a single Olympics—because, he says, no one bothered to invite him.

Spitz said the International Olympic Committee, a US television network or FINA—the international body that governs world swimming—should have brought him to the Games this year, with Phelps making a go at his record.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am," Spitz told AFP in Hong Kong.

"I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is."

Spitz became one of the most famous athletes in the world at the 1972 Munich Olympics, winning seven gold medals—with seven world records—in what many consider to be one of the greatest achievements in all of sport.

Phelps is aiming to better that mark in Beijing, hoping to bring home eight golds. And Spitz, now 58 and grey and without his trademark moustache, cannot understand why he wasn't asked along to see the show.

"They voted me one of the top five Olympians in all time. Some of them are dead. But they invited the other ones to go to the Olympics, but not me," he said. "Yes, I am a bit upset about it."

Now a stockbroker and motivational speaker, Spitz also thinks he could have won eight golds himself in Munich if only he had had the chance.

"I won seven events. If they had the 50m freestyle back then, which they do now, I probably would have won that too," he said.

Spitz, whose brief stint in show business in the 1970s never quite matched his success in the pool, said he attended the Athens Olympics four years ago—when Phelps also tried to break the record.

"They did not once put my face on television," he recalled. "But as soon as the swimming was over, and Michael Phelps didn't break my record, every time I went to beach volley, they put my face on the volleyballs."

Spitz said it would have been a great idea if he could be the one presenting the gold medals to Phelps, who has for years been candid about his ambition to eclipse the mark of seven golds.

And Spitz thinks Phelps will succeed—for one very good reason.

"He's almost identical to me. He's a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did," Spitz said. "He reminds me of myself."

[Insert some reference to "wahmbulance".]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 15:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hmmm, I bet he has a lot of mirrors in his house, looking good Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 16:23 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Mark Swallows

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 12:49 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

::flash forward 36 years from now::

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2008, 19:15 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

yahoo understands:

yahoo wrote:
Spitz’s belly flop

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 41 minutes ago

BEIJING – Mark Spitz had one more gold medal left in him after all. And in a medley event, no less: arrogance, vanity and back-to-back legs of self-pity.

This is the Spitz that has maddened the U.S. swimming program for years, complaining in an interview with a French wire service that nobody bothered to pay his way to Beijing to watch Michael Phelps pursue his record of seven gold medals in a single Olympic Games. At a time when swimming is owned by Phelps, and in a Games that will feature the pinnacle of his career, Spitz seemed to wonder why more of the celebration isn’t about his accomplishment, his presence and his fame.

“I never got invited,” Spitz told AFP. “You don’t go to the Olympics just to say, ‘I am going to go.’ Especially because of who I am … I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That’s almost demeaning to me. It is not almost – it is.

“They voted me one of the top-five Olympians in all time. Some of them are dead. But they invited the other ones to go to the Olympics, but not me. Yes, I am a bit upset about it.”

What ensued was a collective eye-roll in the swimming community, which has always been painfully respectful of Spitz’s ego. But this latest interview will test even the most stout Spitz backer, particularly after he told AFP of Phelps’ potential record eighth gold, “I won seven events. If they had the 50-meter freestyle back then, which they do now, I probably would have won that, too.”

That comment played about as badly as it could: shallow as a kiddie pool and more smug than Beijing has smog. And it didn’t end there. The reason Spitz sees Phelps succeeding in his quest?
ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s almost identical to me,” Spitz told AFP. “He’s a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did. He reminds me of myself.”

It smacks of an icon who was hurt when Phelps once said that he wanted to be “the first Michael Phelps” and not “the next Mark Spitz.” But in reality, Spitz might be the only one who sees so much of himself in Phelps. While they have both been dominant, and the swimming world around them has cringed in their presence, you’d be hard-pressed to find a coach who won’t tell you that Phelps’ achievement at this level far surpasses what Spitz accomplished. And maybe that’s what bothers Spitz: that Phelps may ultimately be considered a superior Olympian with a greater feat to back him up.

“Mark was a very talented swimmer and very dominant in his time,” said U.S. head coach Mark Schubert. “The difference with Michael is that he has a much more challenging program. I think the competition throughout the world is more challenging.

“In ‘68, Mark had tremendous pressure because he had talked a lot about how he was going to surpass Don Schollander [the first swimmer to win four golds at one Olympics], and he didn’t fare very well under the pressure. Then in ‘72, he obviously was magnificent. Michael has been magnificent really since his first Olympics when he was the youngest guy on the team.”

Schubert has left little ambiguity over who he thinks has notched the greater accomplishment. Schubert even said at one point that Phelps’ stunning run at the 2007 world championships – seven gold medals (eight if you count the gold stripped for a false start in a relay) – was superior to Spitz’s seven Olympic golds at the 1972 Games in Munich.

In a sense, the U.S. swimming program has been waiting for someone like Phelps to come along: a personable teammate and deferential champion. Someone who would gladly promote the sport without looking at what he gets in the end of the deal. Spitz hasn’t always been that kind of team player. Over 36 years, teammates have complained of his isolating personality, while others have questioned whether he did enough to promote the sport, rather than himself, on the heels of his seven gold medals.

So when he complains, coaches smirk or roll their eyes. He doesn’t feel respected enough? Well, get in the long line of Olympic greats who have gone through that dance. Figure skating icon Katarina Witt couldn’t even get a seat at the 2006 skating singles finals in Turin, Italy. And the 2002 singles gold medalist, Sarah Hughes, watched her sister Emily skate in Turin while sitting in the last row of the stadium.

It happens. But for Spitz to remark that it would be demeaning to him to pull out his own wallet to come to Beijing – and to complain that he’d have to witness history anonymously – comes off like a fading diva making one last swipe for the spotlight. A spotlight that in a few days will no longer belong to him.

“His time is gone,” U.S. swimming assistant coach Jon Urbanchek told the Baltimore Sun. “I’m sure he can afford a ticket if he wants to be here. It would have been nice for him to be here and witness it. I really feel he contributed a lot to swimming. But it’s time to turn the reins over to somebody else. You’ve got to move on with life. Get a life after swimming.”

Spitz isn’t coming to Beijing, and nobody is crying in their goggles. This potential eight-golds spotlight has room for one man. And he’s already here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 07:48 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I watched an interview with spitz on NBC last night, and NBC down played how much of an arrogant ass he was, but even with the down playing it still shined through. Not only am i rooting for phelps to win since it would be amazing to see it will be nice to see spitz beaten, and it seems like i am not the only person who feels that way, most of the swimming world does too.

One of my favorite lines from the interview was they were talking about how the team picked up phelps in the relay, but said no thanks was needed since he was a good team member, meanwhile most of spitz's team members hated him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 09:49 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Hate to say it but: if I had won 7 seven gold medals in one Olympics, I'd find it most difficult not to be an insufferable, arrogant ass for the rest of life.

Spitz now reminds me of Bobby Fischer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 11:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

you make a good point but i can still hate him :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 12:45 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Steel Frog wrote:
Hate to say it but: if I had won 7 seven gold medals in one Olympics, I'd find it most difficult not to be an insufferable, arrogant ass for the rest of life.

I trust, however, that you would be able to avoid the cheesetastic 'stache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 12:48 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Buckykatt wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

I trust, however, that you would be able to avoid the cheesetastic 'stache.

This is an excellent point.

Imagine this guy in any film:

His look screams "douche". He could have been the greatest 80's movie villain ever.

EDIT: I just noticed that he made The Onion last year. Why wasn't I informed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 15:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Steel Frog wrote:

Steel Frog=Greatest Invisible Player of All Time wrote:
250th Consecutive 8/8

You've been kind of impossible around here since you wrote this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2008, 19:42 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

mmmmm movies wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

250th Consecutive 8/8

...and the Cruise school pays off again!

Aw, you'll be sayin' the same thing about Batman next week. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 03:03 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Steel Frog wrote:
mmmmm movies wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

250th Consecutive 8/8

...and the Cruise school pays off again!

Aw, you'll be sayin' the same thing about Batman next week. :)

Not based on my latest Frame by Frame score. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2008, 13:50 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

douche wrote:
Mark Spitz: Michael Phelps couldn't have beat me

BY RICH SCHAPIRO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 4:01 PM

Mark Spitz thinks there's only one man who Michael Phelps can't beat.

His name is Mark Spitz.

Spitz, the American swimmer whose record of seven gold medals in a single Olympics Games was shattered by Phelps, said yesterday that if the two legends squared off in their primes, it'd be a draw.

"I think that the relationship between people that are great is they have a common thread of knowing how to beat their competitors and they know how to constantly be in shape and in top form," Spitz told the Daily News.

"If that's the case, I'd know everything about how to beat Michael," he said. "He'd also know everything to beat me. We'd have to tie."

Spitz, 58, in town to promote a Hyatt Resorts vacation package, spoke graciously of the 23-year-old phenom from Baltimore who broke the record he set in the 1972 Munich Games.

Spitz even predicted that Phelps could bring in more golds in the next Olympics.

"I believe that he can go for nine," Spitz said outside Grand Central terminal, noting that Phelps could add the 200 meter backstroke to his extraordinary repertoire.

"But they need to change the order in which it's participated on that particular day . . . so that he would have more than 27 minutes of rest."

As Spitz addressed the media in Manhattan, Phelps yesterday left China on an overnight flight bound for London, the site of the 2012 Summer Games.

There, he'll participate in the official torch handover before returning to the U.S. for a well-deserved vacation.

"I really want to spend as much time with my friends and family as I can," Phelps told the Associated Press. "It's coming up on two months on the road. I want to be able to see them and just relax."

Phelps' departure is bad news for NBC, whose ratings have dip now that the human fish is gone from the Games.

Nearly 40 million people watched Phelps break Spitz's historic record on Saturday night, raising the average for the day to 31.1 million.

On Sunday, the average number of viewers was 26.8 million. And on Monday, the number fell to 26.4 million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2008, 14:18 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Spitz, 58, in town to promote a Hyatt Resorts vacation package. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 02:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

What's with this 'phenom' thing? Is it too much trouble typing the last four letters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 02:56 

Humphrey wrote:
What's with this 'phenom' thing? Is it too much trouble typing the last four letters?

Appare

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 06:09 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 06:13 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2008, 06:15 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

bratzks wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

No Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2008, 14:27 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

sldawgs wrote:
bratzks wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

No Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2008, 14:44 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

I think it's fairly hysterical that Spitz's douchiness has increased since this thread started.

It's too damn bad Phelps has no more races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008, 00:04 

alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
bratzks wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

No Pro

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008, 13:42 

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
bratzks wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

No Pro

Is it wrong that we all know what smithee's post says?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008, 13:46 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

bratzks wrote:
Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
bratzks wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Batman wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

Appare

Well

Than

No Pro

Is it wrong that we all know what smithee's post says?

No, it just means we're FilmWisers.