FilmWise Forums
It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 23:14

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 19:43 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

So, as demonstrated by my host game, I’m very much into film scores. I’ve always enjoyed them, and over the years I’ve amassed a collection that I’m quite proud of (Around 1500, in all sorts of formats).

So, I thought I could try to share some of my knowledge, news, anecdotes in a semi-regular posting here.

Like everything else, collecting soundtracks has changed a lot over the years; the rise of the internet, has brought it to a whole new level, allowing rare scores to be distributed at a much faster pace. In the early days of CD’s, some scores became highly sought after by collectors. It is a well known story how a copy of “Cherry 2000” fetched $3,000 at an auction (Pre-Ebay days…).

Yes, a lot of the scores were in very limited runs, and the market has always been pretty small. That is why a lot of scores go out-of-print so often. But peer-to-peer sharing, plus the possibilities of burning high quality CD’s, has brought to life a lot of lost gems.

There’s much more to this history, and I’ll continue to add more, but for right now, I’d like to open a couple of sections that I hope will become staples here.

Outstanding upcoming release

Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection
Releases on November 11, 2008.

What a start, and what a great looking limited edition. For years, “Raiders” and Temple of Doom” were some of the most sought after CD’s in the market. A couple of new editions appeared after a while, but this whole box packs a punch

Amazon wrote:
Boxset includes remastered versions of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Expanded to include previously unreleased music -- as well as the original Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack.
Plus a bonus cd with even more previously unreleased music and featuring interviews with John Williams, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas on the making of this historic music. Relive the musical adventure today!

Track: Slave Children's Crusade
(This one is from the original Japanese release of "Temple of Doom", which is not that easy to find)

Relevant website

soundtrackcollector.com

An excellent database of titles and their different editions, composers, new releases and news. The “IMDB” of film scores.

Collectors corner, Must-Have & Small Gems

As the section indicates, here I’ll try to name 3 scores; the first, a difficult to find title, the second, is pretty much given, and the third, is a score that you may not think about that often (mainly due to the quality of the film), but it’s a surprising find.

Collectors corner: Predator – Alan Silvestri(Varese Sarabande CD Club edition)
This 3000-units limited edition, has been quite a staple in the last years on Ebay, fetching $150-$300. A cornerstone action score whose author (the Abyss, Lilo & Stitch, all Robert Zemeckis films) has cannibalized in his subsequent action releases (Judge Dredd or Eraser for example). Even when you listen to it, you feel like you are being watched…or hunted…
Track: Main Titles

Must-Have: Rudy – Jerry Goldsmith
From one of the greatest composers, comes this inspirational score. It is a prime example of how a main theme can be manipulated via tempo and intensity, and provide a soothing melody (Main Titles), or a rousing anthem capable of lifting a stadium from his feet (The Final Game). A masterpiece
Track: Main Titles

Small Gems: Searching for Bobby Fischer – James Horner
A magical sound provided by a minimalist piano sound, moving to rising strings. Works in perfect unison with the film, but can be listened without and still feel all those emotions.
Track: Josh vs. Vinnie

Trivia

Blade Runner’ Original score was initially never released. It was re-recorded by an orchestra, making the original sound highly sought after. A full edition is now out there, but in the meantime, at least 5 different editions have been made available.

Well, it is a start. I hope you guys like it, and if so I'll continue with it, or it'll just die, in the well of forgotten posts.....

Last edited by Sela on 04 Nov 2008, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 20:20 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Honestly, I never knew scores were so limited (although I suppose I never really have seen many at Borders, for example). I was interested by your post, so feel free to keep posting upcoming releases or brag about your great finds... I'll read it

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 00:28 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Sela5 wrote:
I hope you guys like it, and if so I'll continue with it, or it'll just die, in the well of forgotten posts.....

I do really like it, thanks for sharing. I love film scores as well, but I'm not really well-versed in it or anything. I'm looking forward to reading more of your input though, and I might just have to pick up the Indy collection. It would also be supremely cool if you could link to soundclips or YouTube clips featuring the music you talk about, at least from time to time.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 10:01 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I too really love film scores/soundtracks, which is why I did so well at your host round. :oops: For me, sometimes the music to a movie so often sets the mood that it can make or break it. Nice thread. :)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 11:30 

Nunis wrote:
Sela5 wrote:
I hope you guys like it, and if so I'll continue with it, or it'll just die, in the well of forgotten posts.....

I do really like it, thanks for sharing. I love film scores as well, but I'm not really well-versed in it or anything. I'm looking forward to reading more of your input though, and I might just have to pick up the Indy collection. It would also be supremely cool if you could link to soundclips or YouTube clips featuring the music you talk about, at least from time to time.

I went ahead and added tracks for each of the featured soundtracks.

So far, I'm still doing it thru GoogleSites, which I just started with a little bit ago; I may have to explore new options, if I keep posting often.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 11:36 

TravisBickle wrote:
I too really love film scores/soundtracks, which is why I did so well at your host round. :oops: For me, sometimes the music to a movie so often sets the mood that it can make or break it. Nice thread. :)

Merci beaucoup ;)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 13:15 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Favourite score pieces?

I tend to stick to the recognisable to be honest, but some of my faves:

Vide cor Meum - Hans Zimmer (although I think this was actually composed by another fella) - Hannibal (and later, Kingdom of Heaven)
The Other Side - Michael Nyman - Gattaca
Caddillac of the Skies - John Williams - Empire of the Sun

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 13:55 

F.N.G. wrote:
Favourite score pieces?

I tend to stick to the recognisable to be honest, but some of my faves:

Vide cor Meum - Hans Zimmer (although I think this was actually composed by another fella) - Hannibal (and later, Kingdom of Heaven)
The Other Side - Michael Nyman - Gattaca
Caddillac of the Skies - John Williams - Empire of the Sun

All great choices, particularly Empire of the Sun, in my case

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 13:57 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

F.N.G. wrote:
Favourite score pieces?

James Horner - Commando

Will never be touched.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 14:23 

JJ wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Favourite score pieces?

James Horner - Commando

Will never be touched.

I passed on the opportunity to get it, when Varese Sarabande released it a couple of years ago. Now, you can't get it for less than $80...

As for my own personal favorites, well, I'll eventually dwell on my favorite lists. More on that on future posts :)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 14:43 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Sela5 wrote:
JJ wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Favourite score pieces?

James Horner - Commando

Will never be touched.

I passed on the opportunity to get it, when Varese Sarabande released it a couple of years ago. Now, you can't get it for less than $80...

Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, Sarabande, $80. All I know is that I can't get a recording, I cannot get a recording unless we take that CD to the iPod. And granted, the CDs themselves are a uh um oh, Sarabande owns them, all right, but the magic that is on those CDs. That fucking heart and soul that Horner put onto those CDs, that is his and Sarabande don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over to my iPod. And it's waiting for me, I was supposed to go jogging a half hour ago. I look like an asshole, man.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 15:43 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

JJ wrote:
Sela5 wrote:
JJ wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Favourite score pieces?

James Horner - Commando

Will never be touched.

Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, Sarabande, $80. All I know is that I can't get a recording, I cannot get a recording unless we take that CD to the iPod. And granted, the CDs themselves are a uh um oh, Sarabande owns them, all right, but the magic that is on those CDs. That fucking heart and soul that Horner put onto those CDs, that is his and Sarabande don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over to my iPod. And it's waiting for me, I was supposed to go jogging a half hour ago. I look like an asshole, man.

wd

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 00:54 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

My personal favourite, and don;t know if anyone can tell me anymore about it, is the main theme from Ravenous, think it is called Boyd's journey, but is also used at the end of the film, anyone know anything about this? It's, in my opinion, the best original music I've heard in a long time

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmC6YR4oqE

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 03:39 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

dawson99 wrote:
My personal favourite, and don;t know if anyone can tell me anymore about it, is the main theme from Ravenous, think it is called Boyd's journey, but is also used at the end of the film, anyone know anything about this? It's, in my opinion, the best original music I've heard in a long time

The first time I saw Ravenous I HATED the music. It actually made me feel physically sick (possibly the intention). Didn't rate the film either.

Since then I have revised my opinion on both. It's done by Damon Albarn (Blur & Gorrilaz) (Michael Nyman also composed some score tracks) and a bunch of musicians who aren't skilled in the instruments they play (purposely mix it up to creae an amateur feel) IIRC.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 06:44 

F.N.G. wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

The first time I saw Ravenous I HATED the music. It actually made me feel physically sick (possibly the intention). Didn't rate the film either.

Since then I have revised my opinion on both. It's done by Damon Albarn (Blur & Gorrilaz) (Michael Nyman also composed some score tracks) and a bunch of musicians who aren't skilled in the instruments they play (purposely mix it up to creae an amateur feel) IIRC.

:green:

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 08:29 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sela5 wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

Oh yeah, Michael Nyman's music to "The Draughtsman's Contract".

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 01:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I actually loved the music to Solaris (the Steven Soderbergh one - although I may be the only person who's seen the movie). And a recent one I really liked, although it is not technically movie music, was from the Battlestar Galactica (season 2, Ep.2 - Valley of Darkness), which is a Philip Glass piano piece. It was perfect in those scenes.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 05:56 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:
I actually loved the music to Solaris (the Steven Soderbergh one - although I may be the only person who's seen the movie). And a recent one I really liked, although it is not technically movie music, was from the Battlestar Galactica (season 2, Ep.2 - Valley of Darkness), which is a Philip Glass piano piece. It was perfect in those scenes.

Philip Glass is brilliant.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 06:06 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

TravisBickle wrote:
Middle wrote:

BRILLIANT!!!1!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 06:58 

Batman wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
Middle wrote:

BRILLIANT!!!1!

I'm especially fond of his score for Kundun. Not one of his highest rated ones, but it works great for me

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008, 23:09 

A couple of notes before we begin…

Well, the first thing should be pretty obvious; I changed the title of the thread. I’m trying to make this a regular weekly posting, so I thought the name would be appropriate. ‘Nuff said. :)

So far, I’m hosting the MP3’s that I offer as examples on a GoogleSite. But there is a limit to it, so I may have to take down some links a few postings after their debut…

Following a suggestion by Nunis, who asked me to add some of my favorite scores to this posts, I’m opening a new section devoted to a specific composer every week, picking some of their best work. Between that and the “Collectors/Must-Have/Small Gems” section, I think the list will keep growing at a great pace.

Finally, it should be pretty obvious that I don’t consider myself a music critic. Not even by a long shot. I just know when I listen to this music, whether if I’m moved by it or not. So my recommendations are mostly coming from the heart, from someone who just wants to share his passion and knowledge on the subject :)

All right, down to business…

A Collector’s Trek

I’ve been into film scores for many years, but the one that really started it all for me was Danny Elfman’s “Batman”. A tape that I listened to over and over, until it finally gave up. Soon after I found out that another score that I really liked was Elfman’s “Beetlejuice”; so that made me stop and then start looking more into this Elfman fella. And from then on, my collection started growing, realizing what scores I enjoyed, and which composers’ style I was more into. For some, I just bought specific titles; others like Elfman, Goldsmith, Bernstein, I just had to find and buy it all. Thus, the collector in me was born. But not all this titles were easily available. I needed to find someplace where I could satisfy my crave. And I did. A place where I learned almost all I know, where I met fellow collectors, and where I was introduced to some of the people that nowadays I consider my best friends. A place in Madrid called “Cinescor”…and we’ll leave it there until next week.

Outstanding recent release

The Boys from Brazil (Jerry Goldsmith – 2 CD Set)
Limited edition of 5000 copies

An incredibly hard to find score, gets the treatment it deserves! I think that the Intrada notes will explain it better than I can.

Intrada wrote:
Wow! 2-CD world premiere of complete Academy Award-nominated Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack for Franklin Schaffner thriller from Ira Levin novel, starring Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivier. Shaffner always inspired best in Goldsmith. Here he responded with global action, excitement! Original 1978 LP was a favorite of composer. He personally edited 35 minutes of highlights into unique 3-movement suite plus one song. Intrada now proudly presents entire 55-minute score, mixed from magnificent condition multi-track session masters. Ferocious action cues (missing from LP) are highlights! Lengthy "The Killers Arrive" with dynamic tuba/bass trombone "Nazi" motif another previously-unreleased gem! Intrada also offers all-important original LP, fully remixed & remastered for best audio ever! Still more bonus material: classical excerpts conducted by Goldsmith at sessions, original radio "samba" (by Arthur Morton!) heard on boy's radio in Paraguay plus pair of score alternates! Thrill to every note of Goldsmith's masterpiece in powerhouse stereo! Detailed notes by Jon Burlingame complete dramatic package. Jerry Goldsmith conducts National Philharmonic Orchestra. By exclusive arrangement with Licensor, Intrada Special Collection limited to 5000 copies!

Track: Main Title
(.ram file directly linked from Intrada)

Relevant website

Intrada Store

Intrada is not only a Soundtrack record label, but their store is pretty good too. And not just for their own releases. A definite recommendation for those titles that you won’t find at Amazon

A favorite composer: Danny Elfman

One of the most famous composers nowadays, especially for his work with Tim Burton. Also, provides the singing voice for Jack Skellington in “the Nightmare before Christmas”.
Wikipedia / IMDB
http://elfman.filmmusic.com/

A Few favorites
Music for a Darkened Theatre (Vols. 1 & 2)
Two excellent releases, with examples from his career and a few rarities and unreleased works. A definite must, that allows you to compare his various styles.

Batman/Batman Returns
I can’t say much about this two. Contemporary classics. And a theme remembered by all.

Sommersby
Not one of his most famous titles, but a varied, at times hopeful and mostly tragic, symphonic score.

Nightbreed
From his day of Oingo Boingo fame, Elfman has experimented with a lot of percussion. This was his first score were he incorporated a lot of them, giving it an intense tribal sound.

Black beauty
Another of his lesser known titles. But trust me, it is a gorgeous theme, and a beautiful symphonic score mixing celtic/irish sounds in the recording.

Nightmare before Christmas
The music is definitely good, but the songs are just too good to pass. Funny, creepy, sad, a joy to listen to...

Collectors corner, Must-Have & Small Gems

As the section indicates, here I’ll try to name 3 scores; the first, a difficult to find title, the second, is pretty much given, and the third, is a score that you may not think about that often (mainly due to the quality of the film), but it’s a surprising find.

Collector’s corner: Chinatown – Jerry Goldsmith
This academy award nominated score (one of the composers personal favorites), has always been difficult to find. It is definitely a highly sought after title. But it’s not its rarity that makes it great. It’s the fantastic film noir approach given by Goldsmith. It just sounds like a classic. And its most famous theme, often played by Goldsmith in concerts is a prime example
Track: Love Theme

Must-Have: Edward Scissorhands – Danny Elfman
I purposefully left this one out of the Elfman list, because it is, in my opinion, his best work. Absolutely magical, and comical, and tragic (And there’s Tom Jones too….) I just can’t describe it, but I can say that it moves me every time I listen to it.
Track: Grand Finale

Small Gems: Untamed Heart – Cliff Eidelman
A very short release (26 mins. of music only) from a movie that all I can say is “the music was really nice”. It is a beautiful theme, and a score driven by a very melancholic piano. It’s minimalist approach and sound is what makes it such a nice piece to listen to.
Track: Untamed Heart titles

Trivia

There are many theories floating around about why is the “Jaws” theme so effective. A popular explanation is that those basic two notes repeated over and over, sound like the heartbeat of the shark approaching.
In reality, John Williams was sitting at the piano, and just started playing those two notes while thinking about a scene. When he realized what he was hearing, he quickly incorporated it into the score, until he actually transformed it into the main theme.

Last edited by Sela on 06 Nov 2008, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 06:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A great Goldsmith.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 07:36 

TravisBickle wrote:
A great Goldsmith.

A great one yes, and a difficult one to find nowadays to boot

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 04:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Thanks for the suggestions, Sela. Although I truly doubt if I will actually go buy any, but I will look out for them some more. And it's quite an eye-opener that these albums are so sought after.

While this is really going for the popular current soundtracks, the Batman Begins score is one I found great when it was first introduced. I really like the way Hans Zimmer worked on it for TDK; it's far more menacing now, and more powerful. I do have to note that it's being used to death by tv-editors since it came out (Top Gear, Survivor, etc. etc.).
Although the 'Batman Theme' (Begins/DK) is great in itself, I like the 'Watch the World burn' best. It perfectly resembles the overall mood of the film. It's also the only track not use any of the original theme.

One more thing. Which do you think is more memorable, the theme of the Burton Batman movie(s), or the new ones?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 05:37 

Middle wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Sela. Although I truly doubt if I will actually go buy any, but I will look out for them some more. And it's quite an eye-opener that these albums are so sought after.

While this is really going for the popular current soundtracks, the Batman Begins score is one I found great when it was first introduced. I really like the way Hans Zimmer worked on it for TDK; it's far more menacing now, and more powerful. I do have to note that it's being used to death by tv-editors since it came out (Top Gear, Survivor, etc. etc.).
Although the 'Batman Theme' (Begins/DK) is great in itself, I like the 'Watch the World burn' best. It perfectly resembles the overall mood of the film. It's also the only track not use any of the original theme.

One more thing. Which do you think is more memorable, the theme of the Burton Batman movie(s), or the new ones?

Both "Batman Begins/Dark Knight" as a combo are (And were going to be) Must-Have in future postings. Begins created the themes, and Knight twisted them. And then, that simple 1-note joker theme, twisted, bended, a little different every time...really great stuff. I love both of them. "Watch the world burn" brings Harvey Dent's trip to an end, and it works, comparing it to the more peppy and hopeful "Harvey Two-Face" (Harvey's themes were mainly James Newton Howard's responsibility). Personally, "Like a dog chasing cars" is the one that makes my blood pump. A rising rhythm, a sense of urgency, and a hopeful theme that keeps going higher and higher... and gets stopped in his tracks by the Joker theme.

Now, if you have a chance, look on bitTorrents, and try to find the expanded Batman Begins score. Not only do the tracks have normal names, but there are a couple of very important ones missing from the regular release (Mainly, the Batmobile Chase & the Closing Credits).

Piece of trivia; the Batman Begins cd track names are "Babastella", Nycteris", etc. These are types of bats. But, take the first letter of those tracks, starting on number 4....

As for which one I think is more memorable, I have to go with Elfman's. It is the main theme, presented clearly in the film. Begins/Dark Knight have a couple of themes that move around, and even the main theme doesn't get his full development until the closing credits.