FilmWise Forums
It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 00:05

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 14:04 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Let’s try this again, shall we?

It’s taken me a long time to be back in my happy place (particularly at work)

Without much ado, let’s get down to business…

E-Commerce

Truly, the advent of e-commerce has revolutionized the world for soundtrack collectors.

Not only you can now find scores from all over the world, via stores and auctions, but now labels and composers themselves have found a direct line to the consumer.

The labels have been able to recover a bunch of unreleased scores and work deals for limited releases; much better for them, with lower fees and pretty much guaranteed sold out editions. And the composers themselves have been releasing some of their works.

The only thing, is that there is a bit of craziness with the limited editions, quickly selling out in some cases, and then fetching exorbitant prices on eBay. So, we have to keep up, with Varese Sarabande, Intrada, La-La-Land records…

Outstanding recent release

Back to the Future(Alan Silvestri – 2 CD Set)
Limited edition of ??? copies

Finally!!! The original release was mainly devoted to the songs, with 2 suites of music. Most collectors have enjoyed the subsequent releases of parts 2 and 3 as a substitute. But nothing like the original.

Here are the release notes from the publisher

Intrada wrote:
Wow! At last! Alan Silvestri's complete orchestral soundtrack for legendary Robert Zemeckis movie, released by Universal, produced by Steven Spielberg, starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd. Spectacular 2-CD set offers every cue Silvestri fashioned for landmark movie, presented from complete multi-track scoring session masters. CD 1 features now-iconic score used in movie. (Songs can be found on MCA label release.) But there's more! Many film fans know movie underwent changes in lead actor & serious tone of initial production. Find out now how Silvestri made changes as well! CD 2 presents early sessions featuring entire score Silvestri recorded before re-scoring with now-familiar one. Early version features darker, more serious tone in music than final version. Cool alternate scoring highlight: powerful trombone chords for initial version of Marty arriving in "Peabody Barn". Another powerful highlight: lengthy, intense action music for "George To The Rescue". Highlighting both discs, of course: early and final versions of complete "Clocktower" sequence, a genuine cinema-scoring milestone. Authoritative notes by Michael Matessino on background of production, scoring details, session dates plus great color stills complete package. Both early version and familiar "famous" version of score offer non-stop excitement! Alan Silvestri conducts. Note: While this is a limited release, we don't want anyone to miss out on this important album. For that reason, we are electing not to specify a quantity, but our Agreement allows us to exceed the usual 3000 limit. There should be more than enough to go around!

Track: It’s been educational/Clocktower

Relevant website

Moviescore Magazine

Mainly devoted to news of the film music industry; I like the clean interface, and the news themselves. Good for a weekly roundup of what’s going on, and who is assigned to different scores

Collectors corner, Must-Have & Small Gems

As the section indicates, here I’ll try to name 3 scores; the first, a difficult to find title, the second, is pretty much given, and the third, is a score that you may not think about that often (mainly due to the quality of the film), but it’s a surprising find.

Collector’s corner: Dragonslayer – Alex North
This academy award nominated score only had 2 editions, both incredibly rare. The editions are actually a mess, if you try to follow the notes with the movie. But it’s still an impressive and somber score, very symphonic. It’s difficult on a first hearing, but I consider it a necessity.
Track: Elspeth's Destiny; Dragon Scales

Must-Have: Up – Michael Giacchino
Giacchino is without a doubt one of the best composers on the field today. From all his exceptional work for different video games, to being JJ Abrams go-to guy, and then demonstrating his exceptional qualities with Pixar films. And for this title, he managed to add the same value that the movie has. Heart.

Track: Carl goes up

Small Gems: Cruel Intentions – John Ottman
A very interesting release, not only for a very simplistic score, that also showcases other works from the composer, including themes and suites for titles like Halloween H20, Lake Placid or Incognito; and always showcasing on each one how clearly he understands the main theme of the films.
Tracks: Jealousy / Incognito Theme

Trivia

Alex North was commissioned by Stanley Kubrick to write the score for “2001: A Space Odyssey”. But he was devastated when he discovered at the 1968 New York City premiere screening that his score had been replaced.
Since then, it has been released twice (the first after insistence from his friend Jerry Goldsmith, who re-recorded it); among scholars, there are those who even argue that the film would be even better, had the music not being replaced

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 11:47 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Sela5 wrote:
Let’s try this again, shall we?

It's good to have you back Sela!

And now I'm $30-some poorer because of that BTTF soundtrack :-)

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 09:16 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Looking forward to more postings from you, Sela.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 20:48 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Love that the Best Score nominees got their work played on the Oscars tonight...

Dancing was good, but hearing the scores was better...

Really wanted Fantastic Mr. Fox to win, but Up was a pretty decent score too

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 21:05 

Agrajag wrote:
Love that the Best Score nominees got their work played on the Oscars tonight...

I was rooting for Up. I though it was a fantastic score. Couldn't stand the stupid interpretive dance...

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 21:15 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Sela wrote:
Agrajag wrote:

I was rooting for Up. I though it was a fantastic score. Couldn't stand the stupid interpretive dance...

Haven't heard either score in its entirety (other than the actual movie) but the songs I've heard from each film--I liked FMF more.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 14:15 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

I, too liked hearing the scores. I definitely did not like the dancing that went along with it. I think this is the first year that I can remember that they didn't play the nominated songs. I can't say I missed that.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 19:08 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Egbert Souse wrote:
I, too liked hearing the scores. I definitely did not like the dancing that went along with it. I think this is the first year that I can remember that they didn't play the nominated songs. I can't say I missed that.

At the point of the awkward dancing, I said "this is awful" and my wife commented, "beats that time they all danced to an editing montage."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 07:27 

Ok, work continues to be super crazy; but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to post something new next week.

FYI, I have ideas for a few of the next posts, dedicating some to classic Musicals, some older stuff, some TV scores, a few requests....

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 03:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Found this (somewhat) interesting piece on IMDb's front page:

IFC wrote:
The punishing action score
Friday sees the release of the revamped "Clash of the Titans," the trailer for which has to set come kind of record for the most joyless combination of grim faces, heinously ugly monsters and nu-metal roar. It's all very murky and loud, but mostly it seems like no fun: like the roar of Nickelback magnified with some industrial drums, capped off by the inevitable release of the Kraken, whose hoarse bellow would do Eddie Vedder proud.

When did action scores becomes so industrial? If you're not one of those people who agonizes over the moral problems of killing people on-screen for sport -- and really, get over it -- there's no reason that action movies should be so monochromatic and trudging. And yet watching the "Clash of the Titans" trailer is like nothing so much as listening to alt-radio from a decade back. You half expect the Kraken to begin wailing about its issues with its father.

The music is courtesy of Ramin Djawadi, who does this kind of thing all the time: witness, say, his theme for "Iron Man," which starts out as nothing and then eventually becomes a bunch of guitars and fake drums, which is really just a higher budget version of the on-the-cheap "Prison Break" music he also did.

It's all in keeping with how lousy a lot of contemporary action scores are -- they make what should be fun a trudge. (Last year's "Armored" is an okay movie, but John Murphy's score sounds like straight-up nu-metal.) Part of the problem is the death of the full-orchestra score, which now sounds anachronistic to most -- listening to, say, the climactic battle music from "Die Hard" isn't necessarily more fun, but all the instruments give you more room to breathe. The limited range of sounds generally tapped now -- basically an augmented band with strings -- can get claustrophobic.

Instead of blaming radio or declining budgets for music, it might be wisest to blame Clint Mansell's theme for "Requiem For A Dream," one of the most ubiquitous trailer backdrops. It's still a cool theme -- rising minimalism as frenzy -- but everyone seems to have learned the wrong lessons: stay grim, stay in a minimal range, and you too can prosper. No one really wants to hear peppy, upbeat full-orchestra stuff like "Independence Day" (too peppy, too martial), but surely there's a path somewhere between the "Indiana Jones" theme and utter despair.

What's your take on this? Do you see a current trend/shift toward 'generic' soundtracks?
Granted, Requiem for a Dream's theme is heavily overused, but it's still an orchestrated tune. I don't really see the parallel to the nu-metal scores.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 09:27 

Middle wrote:
Found this (somewhat) interesting piece on IMDb's front page:

IFC wrote:
The punishing action score
Friday sees the release of the revamped "Clash of the Titans," the trailer for which has to set come kind of record for the most joyless combination of grim faces, heinously ugly monsters and nu-metal roar. It's all very murky and loud, but mostly it seems like no fun: like the roar of Nickelback magnified with some industrial drums, capped off by the inevitable release of the Kraken, whose hoarse bellow would do Eddie Vedder proud.

When did action scores becomes so industrial? If you're not one of those people who agonizes over the moral problems of killing people on-screen for sport -- and really, get over it -- there's no reason that action movies should be so monochromatic and trudging. And yet watching the "Clash of the Titans" trailer is like nothing so much as listening to alt-radio from a decade back. You half expect the Kraken to begin wailing about its issues with its father.

The music is courtesy of Ramin Djawadi, who does this kind of thing all the time: witness, say, his theme for "Iron Man," which starts out as nothing and then eventually becomes a bunch of guitars and fake drums, which is really just a higher budget version of the on-the-cheap "Prison Break" music he also did.

It's all in keeping with how lousy a lot of contemporary action scores are -- they make what should be fun a trudge. (Last year's "Armored" is an okay movie, but John Murphy's score sounds like straight-up nu-metal.) Part of the problem is the death of the full-orchestra score, which now sounds anachronistic to most -- listening to, say, the climactic battle music from "Die Hard" isn't necessarily more fun, but all the instruments give you more room to breathe. The limited range of sounds generally tapped now -- basically an augmented band with strings -- can get claustrophobic.

Instead of blaming radio or declining budgets for music, it might be wisest to blame Clint Mansell's theme for "Requiem For A Dream," one of the most ubiquitous trailer backdrops. It's still a cool theme -- rising minimalism as frenzy -- but everyone seems to have learned the wrong lessons: stay grim, stay in a minimal range, and you too can prosper. No one really wants to hear peppy, upbeat full-orchestra stuff like "Independence Day" (too peppy, too martial), but surely there's a path somewhere between the "Indiana Jones" theme and utter despair.

What's your take on this? Do you see a current trend/shift toward 'generic' soundtracks?
Granted, Requiem for a Dream's theme is heavily overused, but it's still an orchestrated tune. I don't really see the parallel to the nu-metal scores.

I don't agree much with the article. While its true that a certain minimalistic approach is currently obvious, particularly in action scores (and most of the blame falls on Hans Zimmer and his minions army...), there is plenty of full orchestral scores out there.

Sure, not all movies have the budget to employ a full orchestra (And those costs are high...), but many composers know this and work around it in very creative ways, adding new and exotic sounds and instruments to keep things going, for example.

And please, you can't blame Clint Mansell. Sure, Requiem for a Dream is a minimalistic score, but what we hear on trailers more often is Requiem for a Tower: Movement IV, which is a version of the Requiem for a Dream theme....but with a full orchestra.

For every nu-metal trailer that this guy can point out, I can pass you a fully orchestral action score. Or a mix of both things, like Transformers

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 00:10 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I loved the score for How to Train a Dragon. I thought it did a great job of enhancing the action.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 21:25 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Middle wrote:
IFC wrote:
...Last year's "Armored" is an okay movie...

What's your take on this?

It lost me at "okay". Armored sucked ass.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 12:16 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Steel Frog wrote:
Middle wrote:
IFC wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 00:08 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

alan smithee wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Middle wrote:
IFC wrote:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 12:59 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Maybe it was a budget thing, but half of the instrumental score of Kick-Ass was recyled from other movies. Most of them were John Murphy scores from Danny Boyle movies (from 28 Days Later and Sunshine). I can't remember seeing movies where they actually played music I recognized coming from other movies. Does this happen often on wide releases?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 13:09 

Middle wrote:
Maybe it was a budget thing, but half of the instrumental score of Kick-Ass was recyled from other movies. Most of them were John Murphy scores from Danny Boyle movies (from 28 Days Later and Sunshine). I can't remember seeing movies where they actually played music I recognized coming from other movies. Does this happen often on wide releases?

Occasionally. I remember a few examples here and there, although mostly is just a few simple themes.

One big example comes from Spider-Man 2, where Sam Raimi asked Danny Elfman repeatedly to have a certain scene scored, to sound similar to a piece from a Christopher Young's score (Defcon-4 I believe); after repeated tries and rejections, Elfman told Raimi to just simply play that specific music.

And perhaps, a very clear example can be heard on Scream where "Dewey's theme" is actually the main theme from Broken Arrow

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 13:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Speaking of which, has that 28 Days Later theme (In the House - In a Heartbeat) been used in any trailers? I recall it being in some, but can't remember what.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 19:22 

Middle wrote:
Speaking of which, has that 28 Days Later theme (In the House - In a Heartbeat) been used in any trailers? I recall it being in some, but can't remember what.

I remember it in Beowulf for sure, but I can see from wikipedia that it has been heavily featured on TV

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 02:21 

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 04:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

alan smithee wrote:
[img]...[/img]

Yeah, that's a nice touch.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 20:40 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

OK.. so what is the name of the track that played
Spoiler for LOST's finale 'The End'
every time someone in LAX-purgatory remembered the island?
This site was no help (unless I don't know how to use it, which is quite possible). I love the song—I figure it may be on each season's soundtrack, or this might just be a variation of a theme (sounds familiar) but I really want to find just this track by itself...

Any help?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 23:16 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Just found out the guy who did the music on american Ninja 3 also did the Austen Powers music... George S Clinton is my new Music superhero...wait, scratch that, he also did Big Mommas House

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 16:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Agrajag wrote:
This site was no help (unless I don't know how to use it, which is quite possible). I love the song—I figure it may be on each season's soundtrack, or this might just be a variation of a theme (sounds familiar) but I really want to find just this track by itself...

Any help?

This has all of the music cues from the finale, but it seems like each person/set of people had a specific theme. They may all sound similar though.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 17:48 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Jimothy wrote:
Agrajag wrote:

Any help?

This has all of the music cues from the finale, but it seems like each person/set of people had a specific theme. They may all sound similar though.

Seems to be a variation of "Life and Death," possibly "There's No Place Like Home" but it's hard to tell from 30 second clips.

Thanks for the help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next