FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 13:54

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 05:03 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Philip wrote:
I love this thread. Are we allowed to drop hints? Because if so, Lalo Schiffrin.

You are all welcome to participate in any way you see fit. As for Schifrin....Bullitt....

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 09:36 

The Master: Part 4

Part 4 of 5…I know, it’s a lot of Goldsmith to digest, but he has just has too much. Originally I wanted to make it only 3 parts, but I kept going over the whole list, and I just couldn’t stop right there.

Image This time I’m going for some of the heavyweights on his career, as well as a couple of minor titles. And again, what a range of films, for every genre.

There is a Sci-Fi classic, Horror, Suspense, Drama, Romance, Action. He could tackle them all. And if you listen to them, you’ll notice that he not only did that, he made some of them unforgettable.

Wikipedia / IMDB

A Few more favorites
Papillon
Another collaboration with his good friend Franklin J. Schaffner, this one showcasing a heartfelt and personal work for Goldsmith. Someone qualified it’s memorable main theme as lush. I fully agree
Track: Theme from Papillon

Patton
War scores can be incredibly moving, but some try to bring up the action seen on screen. This is a perfect example of how less can be more, trying to accentuate the personal story more so that the action itself. What a rousing theme!
(Note. There are a few different editions out there. This one includes a few themes of “A Patch of Blue” with it)
Track: Patton March

Poltergeist
What an example of the evolution of a score following the movie, starting with some eerie themes mixed with a light family theme, and progressively transforming into a full horror score.
(This one refers to the 1997 Expanded Edition)
Track: The Calling/The Neighborhood

Air Force One
A “quick” assignment for Goldsmith, who had to write a score in 2 weeks after the original from Randy Newman was rejected by the studio.
Here he delivers one of his later and most rousing scores, exemplified perfectly by the “Hijacking” track
Track: The Hijacking

L.A. Confidential
Curtis Hanson made sure that Jazz music was a center part of the film, but he recruited Goldsmith to “fill in the gaps”. The results is a score were most of its value is on the action and suspense parts. And here is were Goldsmith works best, adding a Jazzy Trumpet to showcase his main theme and serve as a bridge between the score and the song soundtrack
Track: Bloody Christmas

Collectors corner, Must-Have & Small Gems

As the section indicates, here I’ll try to name 3 scores; the first, a difficult to find title, the second, is pretty much given, and the third, is a score that you may not think about that often (mainly due to the quality of the film), but it’s a surprising find.

Collector’s corner: A Patch of Blue – Jerry Goldsmith
An absolute must, this early piece in his career is a perfect score, where the sentiments are never overstated, but heightened and adding other layers of emotion to the story itself
Track: Finale

Must-Have: Star Trek: First Contact – Jerry Goldsmith
I don’t think there is much that can be said here. A timeless classic.
I decided to showcase one of his later Star Trek works because it showcases what he could do with already existing music. This main theme, for example, contains 4 main parts; the original Alexander Courage theme, his own main theme created for the first movie, a new and gorgeous main theme for this film and some “Borg” music that was created by his son Joel, which Goldsmith thought could help him create a metallic signature sound to contrast the other rousing and epic themes.
(Note: Film music reviews can sometimes be too technical in its dissertations. I found this one to be a great example of how I feel a good review should be for those who want to learn more about what goes on with the music itself)
Track: Main Theme/Locutus

Small Gems: Forever Young – Jerry Goldsmith
Goldsmith at his most romantic, with a little dash of adventure mixed in between. A minor title for sure, but quite enjoyable.
Track: Love Theme

Trivia

Goldsmith was originally contracted to do the score for Judge Dredd, but he had to drop out due to his work on First Knight and Congo. He did create a specific piece of music for the first trailer, which gave a clear idea of what it was going to sound like. Ever since, the theme has been used in many other trailers. And its even made its way into a couple of albums

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 11:40 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nice post. I also really look forward to your posts here.
Strangely enough the orange flag doesn't disappear after reading it. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 12:04 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I'm a fan of the 80s horror's, my fave being not the usual (Nightmare, Friday etc) but The Puppet Master series... I was watching the first two again this morning, and I realised why I loved them so much... the music, it's stunning. So I thought I would dig up what I know about the composer, most of it pilfered from imdb but put in a neat piece for anyone who cares.

Richard Band

Who is he?
Well who is his brother would perhaps be the better question. Charles Band... never heard of him? I bet you have all seen something he has produced (witchboard, re-animator, pit and the pendulam)

What else has he done the music to Dawson?

Masters of Horror, Stargate SG1, Re-Animator, Troll, Ghoulies and 63 others

Richard worked scoring all of his brother's movies and has made some of the most interesting original pieces in my opinion.
You know when big award ceremonies give respect to people like Clint Howard, knowing they will never win big but deserving kudos for what they have done? Richard Band deserves the accolades bestowed amongst others for his work.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 19:55 

Richard Band is a very nice composer. And I can say it from personal experience. I had the chance of meeting him at a film convention last year, and we talked for quite a while (Particularly of his work with Charles on Full Moon Entertainment). Super nice, and a huge fan of other composers too.

So, I thought a good compilation might give a good taste of his work. A few years back this came out, with music from some of this company most famous titles (Puppet Master, Trancers, Subspecies, Dollman)

It's not only Richard's music, so here is the track list...and enjoy!

1. Full Moon Logo - Richard Band
    2. Puppet Master - Richard Band
    3. Meridian - Pino Donaggio
    4. The Pit & The Pendulum - Richard Band
    5. Subspecies - The Aman Folk Orchestra
    6. Puppet Master III - Richard Band
    7. Dollman - Tony Riperetti
    8. Netherworld - David Bryan
    9. Demonic Toys - Richard Band
    10. Seed People - Richard Band
    11. Bad Channels - Blue Oyster Cult
    12. Doctor Mordrid - Richard Band
    13. Robot Wars - David Arkenstone
    14. Mandroid - David Arkenstone
    15. Dollman vs Demonic Toys - Richard Band/T. Riperetti
    16. Trancers IV - Gary Fry
    17. invisible - David Arkenstone

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 20:01 

Oh, and with the Golden Globes already passed, and after the Score surprise, here are the nominated scores, in case you are all curious (I'm particularly big on Benjamin Button)

Changeling by Clint Eastwood

Defiance by James Newton Howard

Frost/Nixon by Hans Zimmer

Slumdog Millionaire by A.R. Rahman

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by Alexandre Desplat

I'm hoping to have the regular new post later tonight.

Last edited by Sela on 24 Apr 2009, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 21:20 

I still have some work to do, and I have an early flight tomorrow, so the next post, although is ready in my head (And the FTP...) will be posted as soon as I can

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 20:17 

There will be an FTP migration soon, so I'm going to hold the next post for a while until all is sorted out.

Most of the links will also stop working for a while, but I'll try to get them back if I can.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 20:27 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Sela5 wrote:
There will be an FTP migration soon, so I'm going to hold the next post for a while until all is sorted out.

Most of the links will also stop working for a while, but I'll try to get them back if I can.

Er, yes, sorry about that folks. I'll have that stuff sorted in the next day or two hopefully.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 07:12 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

I saw on another forum that February 10 would have been Jerry Goldsmith's 80th birthday. I thought you might be doing something to commemorate that.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 07:27 

Egbert Souse wrote:
I saw on another forum that February 10 would have been Jerry Goldsmith's 80th birthday. I thought you might be doing something to commemorate that.

My next installment will be the last devoted to Jerry, with some of his biggest stuff. Unfortunately, I'm getting ready for my biggest tournament of the year, so I'm horribly busy.

I'm hoping to get all the links fixed and the new post up in the next 2 weeks.

After that, I already have a couple of installments in mind, for which I already have picked the titles.... ;)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 21:43 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

Psycho score fails to sell at London auction

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 07:10 

Take a listen to the ditty at 0:08. What's it called? How many movies have I heard it in? I feel like it's as prolific as the wilhelm scream.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 07:23 

bratzks wrote:
Take a listen to the ditty at 0:08. What's it called? How many movies have I heard it in? I feel like it's as prolific as the wilhelm scream.

I can't manage to open it, nor it seems the YouTube link works alone.

Can you double check the Url? My internet in the office is having some problems; just want to make sure it's me

EDIT

Never mind. It is my office Internet.

That piece is George Gershwin's "An American In Paris", which you can find here. It's a long piece (About 17 minutes) which encompasses the whole final ballet from the movie

Last edited by Sela on 28 Apr 2009, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 07:46 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Sela5 wrote:

Can you double check the Url? My internet in the office is having some problems; just want to make sure it's me

Works fine for me. URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqhd9xi6CGQ

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 07:54 

BTW, I actually spent some time last week fixing all the dead links.

As soon as the werewolf game is over, I'll be starting again, probably with a final installment on Goldsmith, then some old classics and musicals; After that, probably a few specials on Danny Elfman, John Willams, Elmer Bernstein....

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 08:48 

Sela5 wrote:
bratzks wrote:

EDIT

Never mind. It is my office Internet.

That piece is George Gershwin's "An American In Paris", which you can find here. It's a long piece (About 17 minutes) which encompasses the whole final ballet from the movie

Cool, thanks! IMDb only lists a few things it's used in. Most notably (after AiP) in As Good as it Gets. I swear I've heard it in hundreds of things. Maybe I'm losing my mind.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 12:45 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

I have been watching episodes of Season 1 of the series Room 222 on DVD. I noticed that Jerry Goldsmith wrote the theme to that show.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2009, 22:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sela, whatever happened to this thread?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 13:44 

Middle wrote:

Believe me, not a day goes by that I don't think about continuing. This last few months have been nothing short of chaotic...thankfully, things are finally getting back to normal.

I can tell you that I've been gathering and preparing a bunch of new ones, so don't be surprised if you see it back in the next couple of weeks ;)

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 00:58 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sela5 wrote:
Middle wrote:

Believe me, not a day goes by that I don't think about continuing. This last few months have been nothing short of chaotic...thankfully, things are finally getting back to normal.

I can tell you that I've been gathering and preparing a bunch of new ones, so don't be surprised if you see it back in the next couple of weeks ;)

Good news. :)

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 07:24 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TravisBickle wrote:
Sela5 wrote:
Middle wrote:

:green:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 09:15 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
Sela5 wrote:
Middle wrote:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 07:39 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Long-form interview with composer Brian Tyler

I can't say I recognized the scores of any of his films, although looking at his resume, maybe the score would have been the best part of these films (e.g. Bangkok Dangerous, AVPR, Dragonball Evolution, Constantine).

Still a pretty interesting story of a young composer (so far... at the halfway point now)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 12:14 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

You should do some Ennio Morricone and a composer who's not too well known but absolutely fantastic, Aaron Zigman. I know you're busy...let me know if I can help :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next