FilmWise Forums
It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 16:01

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 23:57 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Toasty wrote:
Nunis wrote:
This has really nothing to do with anything, it just happens to be my favourite football-related thing ever in the history of the sport.

Every kick in it massively mattering to someone, presumably.

:-)
Time to settle scores. Scores like "one - nil" and "2 - all", that have happened in previous years.

Awesome as always. Can I guess what your favourite snooker-related thing ever in the history of the "sport" is?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 00:34 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

alan smithee wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
caption competition help.

work has a caption competition, and you guys are wittier than most, any ideas?

No! It's palm, palm, shoulder, shoulder — three-year-old kids can do the Macarena — what's your problem?

(Or some better variant thereof.)

changed 3 year old kids with Wayne Rooney...cheers

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 11:36 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

I figured out what the World Cup needs to make Americans more interested....

More kung fu fighting, and more commentary by the Governator

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 12:57 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

:banana: Yea Spain!! Now they gotta keep up the D!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 13:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Congrats Spain! Sela... I'm looking at you, baby!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 13:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Well Done Spain, no sleep for me tonight the streets are going crazy here!!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 13:14 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

So what was the whole point behind the new ball? I'm assuming the aerodynamics of it were significantly different as it seemed to fly like a golf ball off a tee shot whenever anyone took a free kick. If the idea was to significantly change the game, why didn't they just choose a basketball instead? Why change something so integral to the game. It's as if the NFL were to use a rugby ball for the next Super Bowl. Fucking stupid.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 13:35 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Congrats Sela. While the game certainly wasn't as good as I'd hoped for (that ref really loves his cards), I did have a few heart attacks.
Well done, Spain!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 13:40 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Agrajag wrote:
I figured out what the World Cup needs to make Americans more interested....

More kung fu fighting, and more commentary by the Governator

Oh, and this one should have been a very, very red card. Then again, that second yellow for Heitinga was very underserved.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 14:04 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Middle wrote:
Oh, and this one should have been a very, very red card. Then again, that second yellow for Heitinga was very underserved.

Was it really? That's a damn crucial play to miscall.

Of course, the winning goal scored off a play that began on a non-call in the Spanish end; looked like that could have easily been whistled for a foul but wasn't due to its proximity to the goal.

Soccer's a weird sport to watch the refereeing on. It's clear that there's a different yardstick used for assessing fouls on players that varies depending on their proximity to the goal. It's obvious why this is done - nobody wants to award a ticky-tack foul that leads to a cheap goal - but there's certainly nothing in the rulebook about it.

Which necessarily means there's a bit of arbitrariness to the whole reffing of the game. And it needs to be this way for the game to be "fair", but it adds a crapload of power to the one guy who's not supposed to be playing in the match.

Oh, and wd Spain.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 14:04 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Middle wrote:
Congrats Sela. While the game certainly wasn't as good as I'd hoped for (that ref really loves his cards), I did have a few heart attacks.
Well done, Spain!

But to be fair, he should have shown a good few more. The kung-fu kick could easily have been red, Iniesta and Xavi should have had yellows for waving imaginary yellows, Robben should have been off for his dissent (kickin the ball away). An intriguing match, more than a good one. Football won (just about), but neither team played well - Spain wanted the perfect goal. Both keepers played well and I felt sorry for Stekelenberg to be honest.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 18:03 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Thank you all. It was just so hard to watch, and I hated that it got so dirty.

I truly feel bad for Holland, being this their third final with no win. I sincerely hope they get one in the near future.

As I'm writing this I realize that I am absolutely exhausted and emotionally drained. I think it's because it's the first time in my life that I've had to watch the World Cup for the entire month.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 04:46 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

alan smithee wrote:
Toasty wrote:
Nunis wrote:
This has really nothing to do with anything, it just happens to be my favourite football-related thing ever in the history of the sport.

Every kick in it massively mattering to someone, presumably.

:-)
Time to settle scores. Scores like "one - nil" and "2 - all", that have happened in previous years.

Awesome as always. Can I guess what your favourite snooker-related thing ever in the history of the "sport" is?

Many a true word is spoken in jest; Sky Sports will be going up £3 a month when the new season starts to cover the cost of even more football.

He was glad to get it.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 06:06 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Attachment:
PS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 07:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:
Well done, Spain!

But to be fair, he should have shown a good few more. The kung-fu kick could easily have been red, Iniesta and Xavi should have had yellows for waving imaginary yellows, Robben should have been off for his dissent (kickin the ball away). An intriguing match, more than a good one. Football won (just about), but neither team played well - Spain wanted the perfect goal. Both keepers played well and I felt sorry for Stekelenberg to be honest.

Sadly, I have to disagree with you.
I have been defending soccer as an American for years, but after this tourny (and especially last night's "grand" finale) I am finding myself on a one way ticket to Frog & JJ's side of the debate.

It does in fact seem to me, utterly ridiculous that this many egregious hack jobs, that this many reidiculous dives and flops should be allowed to work so effectively... which they absolutely do.
The reason people like Robben (and Iniesta) flop incessantly is because IT WORKS.
The reason people like De Jong (and Puyol) hack away with no offense given is becauze IT WORKS.

It works because one referee on the field of play CANNOT see everything going on. Too often the ref is 30+ yards away, with his head turned slightly away. Webb last night had no idea AT ALL what happened on Heitinga's first yellow. he didn't whistle for a free kick, a foul of any kind or anything. Play went on for nearly a full minute, while the spaniard (previously named) stayed down.
Finally Webb came over and bought it. Gave a yellow for something he never saw and 40 minutes later the dutch were down a man (for yet another iffy one, when three worse hacks had just gone on before it).

Put a second ref on the ever loving field. It is so simple.

One ref at the front half of every play, and one in the back... the true nature of most hacks or flops would be revealed to the ref (as they already are to the viewers).

Sorry, but I am actually glad I don't watch this sport more than once every 4 years.
I was really up for it (as I always am when the the World Cup starts) and am now really down on it.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 08:08 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Toasty wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:
Well done, Spain!

Sadly, I have to disagree with you.
I have been defending soccer as an American for years, but after this tourny (and especially last night's "grand" finale) I am finding myself on a one way ticket to Frog & JJ's side of the debate.

It does in fact seem to me, utterly ridiculous that this many egregious hack jobs, that this many reidiculous dives and flops should be allowed to work so effectively... which they absolutely do.
The reason people like Robben (and Iniesta) flop incessantly is because IT WORKS.
The reason people like De Jong (and Puyol) hack away with no offense given is becauze IT WORKS.

It works because one referee on the field of play CANNOT see everything going on. Too often the ref is 30+ yards away, with his head turned slightly away. Webb last night had no idea AT ALL what happened on Heitinga's first yellow. he didn't whistle for a free kick, a foul of any kind or anything. Play went on for nearly a full minute, while the spaniard (previously named) stayed down.
Finally Webb came over and bought it. Gave a yellow for something he never saw and 40 minutes later the dutch were down a man (for yet another iffy one, when three worse hacks had just gone on before it).

Put a second ref on the ever loving field. It is so simple.

One ref at the front half of every play, and one in the back... the true nature of most hacks or flops would be revealed to the ref (as they already are to the viewers).

Sorry, but I am actually glad I don't watch this sport more than once every 4 years.
I was really up for it (as I always am when the the World Cup starts) and am now really down on it.

When I said football won, I simply meant that the team that played more actual football (rather than just breaking down attacks and trying to get Robben's pace into play) won the match. Spain didn't play well (often because of the Dutch, I'm not saying playing this tactic is wrong, you choose a tactic that works (Chelsea employed the same tactic against Barcelona two years ago and I applauded it because it stopped the then best team in the world form playing)), but they did pass better and create more.

Saying that, the best football team of the tournament were the Germans, who'da thunk?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 08:16 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Actually, I've moved away from my own side of the debate. While I find soccer eminently flawed, I also find it enjoyable and fairly compelling.

And all the bad/missed calls aside, it's hard for me to argue that Spain wasn't the best overall team out there. (Though I'd much rather any other team had won, as I don't care much for their style of play.)

Back on my own side of the debate, it does seem that some of the flaws - mostly those revolving around officiating - could be removed without disturbing the "beautiful game" too much.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 08:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
Actually, I've moved away from my own side of the debate. While I find soccer eminently flawed, I also find it enjoyable and fairly compelling.

I think that is what makes me most angry about the officiating... I very much appreciate the skill and grit and fitness of the athletes and what the game itself brings to the table. I've always held that in higher regard.
The officiating however, or lack of quality therein is just flattening the game. I enjoyed both sides of the debate... hoped I'd stay on football's side, but I can't say I am right now.
Funny how a lot of JJ's points made sense to me as the tourny wore on... and now he is sailing the other way too, though.

JJ wrote:
And all the bad/missed calls aside, it's hard for me to argue that Spain wasn't the best overall team out there. (Though I'd much rather any other team had won, as I don't care much for their style of play.)

I agree the best team on the day, won.
I was susprised Germany could not solve the spanish riddle in the semi's though.

jj wrote:
Back on my own side of the debate, it does seem that some of the flaws - mostly those revolving around officiating - could be removed without disturbing the "beautiful game" too much.

:green:
It seems so simple... goal line tech and a 2nd field ref. Leave the side judges to judge sides, and the refs to judge the fouls... problems solved.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 09:46 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

One final rules question: on the game's only score, Iniesta was initially offside when a pass went to him - the pass that was intercepted by the Dutch, but coughed up under the pressure - before getting onside for the final pass that led to the score.

When do they call offside? It's not always when the receiving player touches the ball; I know that. But here it seemed like there was some advantage gained (cutting off the offside pass was a bit awkward) from the player being offside, though play was allowed to proceed.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 10:34 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
One final rules question: on the game's only score, Iniesta was initially offside when a pass went to him - the pass that was intercepted by the Dutch, but coughed up under the pressure - before getting onside for the final pass that led to the score.

When do they call offside? It's not always when the receiving player touches the ball; I know that. But here it seemed like there was some advantage gained (cutting off the offside pass was a bit awkward) from the player being offside, though play was allowed to proceed.

An offside call is officially (I think) when the ball is passed to someone in the position play the ball, and when there are no players of the opposing team between him and the goalie. That said, Iniesta was (borderline) offside when the ball was initially passed to him. He was the person 'in play' and in a possition to recieve the ball (he actually recieved it).
So yeah, there could have been an offside call for that, but there wasn't. And when it did reach him in the second instance, he made the best shot possible into the net.
Pity we lost the game, but certainly when taking the fouls into consideration, Spain did the better job in the end.
Now if only Robben would have either scored out of that beautiful pass from Sneijder, or would have (for once) gone down when Puyol was clearly clinging to him, this would be a different discussion altogether...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 11:46 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Middle wrote:
JJ wrote:

An offside call is officially (I think) when the ball is passed to someone in the position play the ball, and when there are no players of the opposing team between him and the goalie. That said, Iniesta was (borderline) offside when the ball was initially passed to him. He was the person 'in play' and in a possition to recieve the ball (he actually recieved it).
So yeah, there could have been an offside call for that, but there wasn't. And when it did reach him in the second instance, he made the best shot possible into the net.
Pity we lost the game, but certainly when taking the fouls into consideration, Spain did the better job in the end.
Now if only Robben would have either scored out of that beautiful pass from Sneijder, or would have (for once) gone down when Puyol was clearly clinging to him, this would be a different discussion altogether...

This would be a different discussion.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 11:51 

Hold your horses. Apparently we lost....

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 12:04 

sldawgs wrote:
Middle wrote:
JJ wrote:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 12:05 

Sela wrote:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 12:17 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Middle wrote:
JJ wrote:

He didn't receive the ball on the initial pass ( http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/07/11/a ... oal-video/ ) - check out about 3 seconds into the video. But the interception took the defender away and sent it back to Iniesta's teammate, who sent in a quite legal pass that led to the goal.

Whether he was offside on the initial pass (had he received it) is indeed borderline. Looks like it to me, but it's damn close.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next