FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 22:28

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 12:22 
Offline
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Posts: 48735
Location: Rocket City
alan smithee wrote:
Attachment:
dewey_defeats_truman-1-0.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 16:22 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Posts: 6761
Location: On the Loose
If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside. It's like a touch-up rule.
I think.

_________________
Elegant Violence


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 19:53 
Offline
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Posts: 18761
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Every 2010 World Cup goal (excluding penalty shootouts)

_________________
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 23:03 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
Toasty wrote:
If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.

Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 02:42 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8384
Location: Around
Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:
If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.

Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.

Agreed. And there really isn't any point debating about this anymore. Spain won, and it was well deserved. But the flak Holland is receiving in the (international) press is undeserved. There were some terrible fouls commited, but Spain made a few noteworthy as well, that have gone unpunished.
In the end the ref did a terrible job, but that doesn't change a thing about Spain just being the better team.

Better luck next time...

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 07:34 
Offline
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Posts: 18902
Location: hiding under my desk...
Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:
If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.

Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.

Agreed. And there really isn't any point debating about this anymore. Spain won, and it was well deserved. But the flak Holland is receiving in the (international) press is undeserved. There were some terrible fouls commited, but Spain made a few noteworthy as well, that have gone unpunished.
In the end the ref did a terrible job, but that doesn't change a thing about Spain just being the better team.

Better luck next time...


The ref was the best thing on the pitch. Sorry, but I just can't sympathise with the Dutch on this. The Dutch should have been down to 9 men, if the ref weren't lenient in the first place, and applying common sense. The Dutch team went out there to stop the Spanish playing, by whatever means necessary. The ref did very well to referee such a cynical, awful game. I totally agree with Cruijff on this (which makes a first time).

_________________
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 03:15 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29159
Location: Gotham's seedier side
F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:
If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.

Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.

Agreed. And there really isn't any point debating about this anymore. Spain won, and it was well deserved. But the flak Holland is receiving in the (international) press is undeserved. There were some terrible fouls commited, but Spain made a few noteworthy as well, that have gone unpunished.
In the end the ref did a terrible job, but that doesn't change a thing about Spain just being the better team.

Better luck next time...


The ref was the best thing on the pitch. Sorry, but I just can't sympathise with the Dutch on this. The Dutch should have been down to 9 men, if the ref weren't lenient in the first place, and applying common sense. The Dutch team went out there to stop the Spanish playing, by whatever means necessary. The ref did very well to referee such a cynical, awful game. I totally agree with Cruijff on this (which makes a first time).

I conquer.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group