FilmWise Forums
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 05:21

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Red Dead Redemption
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 23:09 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Okay, this one really deserves its own thread. Even if Draven and I are the only ones discussing it back and forth.
(I haven't made it into Mexico yet, but I'm having loads of fun with the Dead Eye Aim!)

Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 00:37 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I am looking forward to buying it, but I'm still addicted to Fallout3 so it will have to wait probably until the end of the month.

Is it as good as it looks?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 01:03 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I beat the main story on Sunday. With that game i was still only around 75% completion. I decided to start over a brand new game and go for 100% with this one. I played a good guy the first time through so this time I'm playing it bad.

The only missions I really hate are the horse breaking ones. There's one near the end of the game where you have to break 3 stallions while uncle taunts you the whole time. It took me almost 2 hours to beat. Its been a long time since any game has frustrated me that badly.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 01:24 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
The duels are cool, the random side stuff too. Wolves were a real pain in the ass when I was trying to sneak up on a gang to collect a bounty. I'm still early on though. I get sidetracked and forget to check in with the main story characters. Definitely a ton of replay value in this one.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 17:00 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

okay ... I think I'm starting over. I know I can be a real perfectionist at some of this stuff, but I started collecting bounties before I did any of the horsebreaking missions. I couldn't figure out how to take them alive. turns out I couldn't because I didn't have a rope!! I'm gonna make a lot more money this way!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 22:32 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

I've finished all the Bonnie missions (i think), and I should be near completion on the Marshall missions as well. The other fellas are a little squirrelly (Irish, the grave robber, and the snake oil merchant). I think I'm going to take some time to do some treasure and animal hunting, and start collecting some bounties so I can build a small fortune.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 23:49 

scruluce wrote:
I've finished all the Bonnie missions (i think), and I should be near completion on the Marshall missions as well. The other fellas are a little squirrelly (Irish, the grave robber, and the snake oil merchant). I think I'm going to take some time to do some treasure and animal hunting, and start collecting some bounties so I can build a small fortune.

There's not a whole lot you can do with money. None of the properties are very expensive and you can get all the bullets you need from from your houses and dead bodies. Beyond that the only things you can really buy are guns, maps, bait, etc although of them are very plentiful or expensive. You can make more than enough through standard game play to buy everything you need.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 14:33 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

A² wrote:
scruluce wrote:

There's not a whole lot you can do with money. None of the properties are very expensive and you can get all the bullets you need from from your houses and dead bodies. Beyond that the only things you can really buy are guns, maps, bait, etc although of them are very plentiful or expensive. You can make more than enough through standard game play to buy everything you need.

That didn't take very long to learn. I did buy a horse from the general store though. The one I earned from Bonnie mysteriously vanished in the game.

I have a few more missions w/ Seth and Irish, and I should be ready for the next phase of the game.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 14:35 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Has anyone else tried to complete the extra challenges from the Rockstar website (accessable in game)? The fine print when the game is loading states prizes may be won ... haven't actually checked the website yet though.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 00:17 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Finally completed the game, partially because I spent a lot of time on side mission stuff along the way. I'm 100% complete on single player. Didn't see that ending coming. Great story. Hollywood would have a field day with it.

I'm going to give this one a rest for awhile before I go for 100% completion online.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 17:58 

scruluce wrote:
Finally completed the game, partially because I spent a lot of time on side mission stuff along the way. I'm 100% complete on single player. Didn't see that ending coming. Great story. Hollywood would have a field day with it.

I'm going to give this one a rest for awhile before I go for 100% completion online.

I put it away after finishing but before getting 100%. I'm about to pick it back up and finish all the extra junk.

Some of those hunting missions look tough

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 01:50 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

A² wrote:
scruluce wrote:

I put it away after finishing but before getting 100%. I'm about to pick it back up and finish all the extra junk.

I'll probaby pick it up again before too long. You have similar side quests (hunt/gather/sharpshoot) online. There are also co-op missions/achievements.

I don't like Jack as much as I did John though. It's a change of pace, but I'm glad I did all the side stuff possible with John. (benefit of completing the survivalist/hunting stuff is you pick up dead eye/health refills along with the plant/meat/skin/etc.)

The hunting missions that were the most frustrating were the knife missions. Killing a bear with a knife is just ridiculous. Quick draw from near point blank w/ your Evans to your knife for a fast slice will do the trick, but only in quick succession. The rest isn't too bad on that front.

The treasure hunting was fairly easy as you went along. Flower/plant collection is more tedious than difficult. The sharp shooter missions did get a little tricky in places. Best to save the hat/disarm attempts for gang hideouts.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 02:33 

scruluce wrote:
A² wrote:
scruluce wrote:

I'll probaby pick it up again before too long. You have similar side quests (hunt/gather/sharpshoot) online. There are also co-op missions/achievements.

I don't like Jack as much as I did John though. It's a change of pace, but I'm glad I did all the side stuff possible with John. (benefit of completing the survivalist/hunting stuff is you pick up dead eye/health refills along with the plant/meat/skin/etc.)

The hunting missions that were the most frustrating were the knife missions. Killing a bear with a knife is just ridiculous. Quick draw from near point blank w/ your Evans to your knife for a fast slice will do the trick, but only in quick succession. The rest isn't too bad on that front.

The treasure hunting was fairly easy as you went along. Flower/plant collection is more tedious than difficult. The sharp shooter missions did get a little tricky in places. Best to save the hat/disarm attempts for gang hideouts.

Kill a bear with the knife? That sounds unpossible.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 02:35 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

A² wrote:
scruluce wrote:
A² wrote:
scruluce wrote:

Kill a bear with the knife? That sounds unpossible.

If I remember correctly, you have to kill 5 wolves, 2 cougars, and 1 bear by knife. The cougars you can get in 2-3 sticks (have medicine on hand). The wolves go down pretty easy. The bear was quest 8 of 10. The remaining 2 were much simpler (unique animals in quasi specific locations).

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 07:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I think i am half way through this, in mexico at the mo. Great game so far i dont really feel there is a huge difference between weapons and the auto aim is a little over powered.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 15:18 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Fat Head wrote:
I think i am half way through this, in mexico at the mo. Great game so far i dont really feel there is a huge difference between weapons and the auto aim is a little over powered.

Best way to test your skill there is to change to the expert aiming level under the options menu. It does make things a bit trickier. The deadeye skill changes over time.

Mexico was fun, and has you flip flopping between character stories. I liked the story missions with the legendary gunslinger. some of the others, notsomuch.
Spoiler for Mexio Stranger Mission
If you havne't gotten there yet, you'll find a purple question mark on your map in one of the towns. You really have to search for the spot once it shows on your map. Man will be smackin around a whore. He offers to sell her to you for $200. Shoot his sorry ass in the head and tell me if you still complete the mission that way. When you pay him off, you have to check up on the woman in 3 days, only to find he caught up with her and killed her, in which case you kill him anyway.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 20:09 

Anyone download the new zombie expansion? It looks awesome but I've got my hands too full of Fable right now to try it

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 22:42 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

A² wrote:
Anyone download the new zombie expansion? It looks awesome but I've got my hands too full of Fable right now to try it

i'm broke as a joke. Really want to download the combo pack including zombies, online gaming, and hunting expansion.