FilmWise Forums
It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 12:48

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 01:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Rules:

1.) No internet searches or other reference materials are allowed. No using friends using internet searches or other reference materials, etc, etc. Otherwise, you're encouraged to get as much help from friends and family as you like.

2.) Exception to Rule #1: if you think that a lyric is from a certain song, or that an album cover snippet is from a particular album, you are welcome to look up that song or album to verify your guess. You should know the difference of whether you are cheating or not.

3.) Anyone (including those who contributed no more than 5 songs to the quiz) can participate.

4.) Submit all answers via PM to me. Please list your answers in this format for section 1: artist – song title, and in this format for section 2: artist - album title. You get 1 point for each correct artist, and 1 point for each correct song or album title -- 500 total points possible.

5.) Submit as often as you like. I’ll reply to let you know which ones are correct. If you send multiple entries, include all of your answers each time.

6.) No artist will be repeated within a section (though solo artists may appear both as themselves and as part of a group or duo). Artists can be repeated between the two sections. For section 1, if the song has been covered, I'm looking for the first version (well, the first “well known” version).

7. ) The Deadline is 8:00 PM CST on Tuesday, January 11, 2011.

Notes:

a.) I'd like to thank the following people for their contributions to the lyrics section: BubbyChubs, Buckykatt, dawson99, JJ, Sheila1313, sldawgs, and Steel Frog.

b.) Lyrics and albums are in “random” order, as determined by Excel.

c.) I try to avoid repeating songs and albums from previous years, but I don't absolutely guarantee that a couple didn't slip in.

d.) It is possible there are errors -- If you see something, say something. PM me and if I deem it significant enough, you may get a bonus point.

e.) Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Last edited by Sugarpuss O'Shea on 11 Jan 2011, 20:48, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 01:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Section 1 - Lyrics (1 point for artist, 1 point for song title)

1. Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
2. I gave a girl a ride in my wagon. She crawled in and took control.
3. I've tasted the bitterness of my own tears, sadness is all my lonely heart can feel
4. My therapist said not to see you no more, she said you're like a disease without any cure
5. You can pay Uncle Sam with the overtime. Is that all you get for your money?
6. Sugar sticky sweet stuff, come and give me that stuff, everybody want some
7. I wanna bust all your balloons, I wanna burn all of your cities to the ground
8. The first mate he got drunk and broke in the captain's trunk
9. I'm not a coward, I've just never been tested, I'd like to think that if I was I would pass
10. Seven lonely days and a dozen towns ago, I reached out one night and you were gone
11. Is this the way it’s really going down? Is this how we say goodbye?
12. Baby, it's all I know that you're half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole
13. I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can
14. Look around, around, the second drummer drowned, his telephone was found
15. And I never wanted anything from you except everything you had and what was left after that, too
16. Girl, you know it feels real good, we can do it till we both wake up
17. But the film is a saddening bore, for she's lived it ten times or more
18. When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well, hang on
19. And every step I take reminds me of just how we used to be
20. I'll take you to the highest mountain, to the depths of the deepest sea, and we won't need a map, believe me
21. Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time
22. You came into my heart so tenderly with a burning love that stings like a bee
23. Gonna wrap my arms around you, hold you close to me. Oh, babe, I wanna taste your lips. I wanna be your fantasy.
24. Tougher than diamonds, rich like cream, stronger and harder than a bad girl's dream
25. Some of us hover when we weep for the other who was dying since the day they were born
26. Your mom cooked meatloaf even though I don't eat meat. I dug you so much, I took some for the team.
27. Let's take a lover's vow and then seal it with a kiss
28. Why do you lock yourself up in these chains?
29. I need a man who'll take a chance on a love that burns hot enough to last
30. Now who's this Don Juan I've been hearing of? Love hurts when only one's in love.
31. Inside the church there's an altar filled with flowers, wedding bells are ringing and they should've been ours
32. I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted, and then someday you'd leave me for somebody new
33. There she was like double cherry pie, yeah, there she was like disco superfly
34. Could we be much closer if we tried? We could stay at home and stare into each other's eyes.
35. And the tears will never mend, 'cause you had it in for me so long ago
36. Look out on a summer's day with eyes that know the darkness in my soul
37. Greedy little people in a sea of distress, keep your more to receive your less
38. Me and the boys are playin', and we just can't find the sound
39. DDT keeps me happy
40. Every night in my dreams I see you, I feel you
41. Sometimes I think it's a sin when I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again
42. Chestnut brown canary, ruby-throated sparrow, sing a song, don't be long, thrill me to the marrow
43. But if I finish all of my chores and you finish thine then tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699
44. All around the world, statues crumble for me
45. Sit down, girl! I think I love you. No, get up, girl, show me what you can do.
46. I'm gonna take this itty-bitty world by storm, and I'm just gettin' warm
47. Pour your misery down on me
48. Pajamas, a hairbrush, new shoes and a case
49. She's about 5 feet 4 from her head to the ground
50. They'll fall to ruin one day for making us part
51. I got my swim trunks and my flippie-floppies, I'm flippin' burgers, you at Kinko's straight flippin' copies
52. Mama, I'm depending on you to tell me the truth
53. I licked the silver spoon, drank from the golden cup, and smoked the finest green
54. I could hide out under there. I just made you say "underwear."
55. Talkin' to myself, runnin' in the heat, beggin' for your touch in the middle of the street
56. I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself, I've been searching for an angel in white
57. It started long ago in the Garden of Eden when Adam said to Eve, "baby, you're for me"
58. If there was a better way to go then it would find me, I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
59. I got no rap against the Southern states, every time I've been there it's been great
60. I could teach you, but I have to charge
61. Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
62. How can you just walk away from me when all I can do is watch you leave?
63. Well, can't you see me standing here, I've got my back against the record machine
64. Don't cry for me, next-door neighbor
65. Under the moonlight you see a sight that almost stops your heart
66. A million poppies gonna make me sleep
67. No excuse to be so callous, dress yourself in bleeding madras, charm your way across the Khyber Pass
68. Word to your moms, I came to drop bombs, I got more rhymes than the Bible's got Psalms
69. I feel like I've been locked up tight for a century of lonely nights
70. It's been six months, she hasn't shut up once
71. You look like a perfect fit for a girl in need of a tourniquet
72. I don't have no use for what you loosely call the truth
73. Whistling tunes, we're kissing baboons in the jungle
74. Let me see what spring is like on a-Jupiter and Mars
75. Lavender and cream, fields of butterflies, reality escapes her
76. Miles and miles of empty space in between us, the telephone can't take the place of your smile
77. As the plane crashed down he thought, "well, isn't this nice?"
78. From a phone booth in Cheyenne I made a promise to Diane
79. Blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I ever seen
80. I'm gonna start a revolution from my bed, 'cause you said the brains I had went to my head
81. Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die
82. When you're short on your dough you can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time
83. Sunburn with freezerburn, choking on the ashes of her enemy
84. Another day, another dollar, another war, another tower went up where the homeless had their homes
85. I was a fool to ever leave your side. Me minus you is such a lonely ride.
86. You think you're smart. Stupid, stupid.
87. My friend says we're like the dinosaurs, only we are doing ourselves in much faster than they ever did
88. Gotta launder my karma
89. And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us, to die by your side, well, the pleasure—the privilege is mine
90. It's all over and I'm standing pretty in this dust that was a city
91. They got a name for the winners in the world, I want a name when I lose
92. And they whirl and they twirl and they tango, singin' and jingin' a jango
93. On lockdown like a penitentiary, she spreads her lovin' all over and when she gets home there's none left for me
94. I guess he's an X-box and I'm more Atari, but the way you play your game ain't fair
95. Now I know what a fool I've been, but if you kissed me now, I know you'd fool me again
96. When I was a little girl I had a rag doll, only doll I've ever owned
97. Move, slide your rump, just for a minute let's all do the bump
98. Every girl wants you to be her man, but I'll wait, my dear, till it's my turn
99. Sometimes I like to brag, sometimes I'm soft spoken, when I'm in Holland I eat the pannekoeken
100. He gave his life for tourism
101. The love you gave me, nothing else can save me
102. Just hear this and then I'll go, you gave me more to live for, more than you'll ever know
103. When I was young, I never needed anyone, and makin' love was just for fun. Those days are gone.
104. Maybe you're just like my mother, she's never satisfied
105. Said I'll always be your friend, took an oath, I'mma stick it out to the end
106. See the man with the lonely eyes, oh, take his hand, you'll be surprised
107. Try now we can only lose, and our love become a funeral pyre
108. Mephistopheles is not your name, but I know what you're up to just the same
109. She'll prob'ly stop at lunch and give me a call, but she'll just hear that phone keep on ringin' off the wall, that's all
110. She's got a T-top Camaro with a scoop on the hood and two big speakers blasting "Johnny B. Goode"
111. I've had a change of dreams, I'm coming home
112. You want a piece of my heart? You better start from the start.
113. I get off on '57 Chevys, I get off on screaming guitar
114. Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains
115. All the flowers that you planted, Mama, in the backyard all died when you went away
116. Do you like it well done? 'Cause I do it well, 'cause I’m well seasoned if you couldn’t tell.
117. The headmaster's had enough today, all the kids have gone away
118. Golden words he will pour in your ear, but his lies can't disguise what you fear
119. I never meant nothin', I was just my father's son
120. She found a mountain that was far too high, and when she found out she couldn't fly, it was too late
121. Baby, I got sick this morning, a sea was storming inside of me
122. When I was just a baby my mama told me, "Son, always by a good boy, don't ever play with guns"
123. He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarrettes as me
124. You give me a feeling in my heart, like an arrow passing through it
125. The boys break their necks tryin’ to creep a little sneak peek
126. We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
127. Lucy looks sweet 'cause he dresses like a queen, but he can kick like a mule
128. You're just a cannibal and I'm afraid I won't get out alive. No, I won't sleep tonight.
129. Other people stared as if we were both quite insane, someday my name and hers are going to be the same
130. Fish all day, sleep all night, father never lets her out of his sight
131. I ain't blind and I don't like what I think I see
132. Wish I knew what you were looking for, might have known what you would find
133. I remember holding you while you sleep. Every day I feel the tears that you weep.
134. You were there like a blowtorch burning, I was a key that could use a little turning
135. You treat me like I was your ocean, you swim in my blood when it's warm
136. You drop your drink then they bring you more
137. God bless Mother Nature, she's a single woman too
138. The rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun
139. All the world's a candy store, he's been trick or treatin'
140. Like a fool, I fell in love with you, and turned my whole world upside down
141. You could have it all, my empire of dirt
142. I want your psycho, your vertigo shtick, want you in my rear window, baby, you're sick
143. Somebody said they saw me, swingin' the world by the tail
144. Your heart fits me like a glove
145. Like an eagle protects his nest, for you I'll do my best, stand by you like a tree, and dare anybody to try and move me
146. You're digging for gold, you're throwing away a fortune in feelings, but someday you'll pay
147. Your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye
148. So you think my singing's out of time? It makes me money.
149. I'm tired of screwing up, tired of going down, tired of myself, tired of this town
150. Be a good little boy, and you'll get a new toy. Tell grandma you fell off the swing.
151. That time over at Johnny's place, well this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
152. Strapped in the chair of the city's gas chamber, why I'm here I can't quite remember
153. You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
154. Thought I could have my cake and eat it too, but how I cried over losing you
155. I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record
156. You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer
157. What full lips you have, they're sure to lure someone bad
158. She's a big girl, she's standing six foot three
159. Dusty roads ain't made for walkin', spinnin' tires ain't made for stoppin'
160. Always believe in your soul, you've got the power to know you're indestructible
161. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now
162. So, lock up your daughter, lock up your wife, lock up your back door, run for your life
163. I was struck by lightning walking down the street
164. It's important to me that you know you are free, 'cause I never want to make you change for me
165. Gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues
166. Usually when things has gone this far, people tend to disappear. No one will surprise me unless you do.
167. When you hear temptation call, it's your heart that takes, takes the fall
168. Satisfaction came in a chain reaction, I couldn't get enough so I had to self-destruct
169. And all the things I ever said, I swear they still are true, for no one else can have the part of me I gave to you
170. Well, you started off with nothing and you're proud that you're a self-made man
171. I got a friend in New York City, he's never heard of Conway Twitty, don't know nothin' 'bout grits and greens, never been south of Queens
172. They call me quiet girl, but I'm a riot
173. My love is growing stronger as you become a habit to me
174. I'll be playin' basketball with the President, dunkin' on his delegates
175. I have held the hand of a devil, it was warm in the night, I was cold as a stone
176. Instead of gettin' crowned, you're gettin' capped
177. Well, you have suffered enough and warred with yourself, it's time that you won
178. He was cut in 'bout a hundred places, and he was shot in a couple more
179. Make believe that you don't see the tears, just let me grieve in private 'cause each time I see you, I break down and cry
180. Everybody here is outta sight, they don't bark and they don't bite
181. I've been known to cause a few break-ups, and I've been known to cause a few births
182. A taste of honey is worse than none at all
183. Well, the kids don't eat and the dog can't sleep, there's no escape from the music in the whole damn street
184. Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
185. They say I better get a chaperone because I can't stop messing with the danger zone
186. I don't mind you hanging out, and talking in your sleep
187. Empty lake, empty streets, the sun goes down alone
188. Like a virgin, you're Madonna, and I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind
189. My motto's always been, when it's right it's right. Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
190. All the glory that the Lord has made, and the complications when I see His face in the morning in the window
191. Attracting honeys like a magnet, giving 'em eargasms with my mellow accent
192. Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, my grubby halo, a vapor trail in the empty air
193. There is water at the bottom of the ocean
194. Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
195. When I'm not with you I lose my mind
196. I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan
197. Our youth is fleeting, old age is just around the bend, I can't wait to go gray
198. I watched as sweat ran down your face, reached up and I caught it at your chin, licked my fingertips
199. Oh, you got a man? Well, you need a richer one.
200. Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothin' at all

Section 2 - Album Covers (1 point for artist, 1 point for album title)

01-05 ImageImageImageImageImage
06-10 ImageImageImageImageImage
11-15 ImageImageImageImageImage
16-20 ImageImageImageImageImage
21-25 ImageImageImageImageImage
26-30 ImageImageImageImageImage
31-35 ImageImageImageImageImage
36-40 ImageImageImageImageImage
41-45 ImageImageImageImageImage
46-50 ImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Sugarpuss O'Shea on 02 Feb 2011, 19:51, edited 5 times in total.

Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

In case anyone can't view the images above, here they are as attachments:

Attachment:
2010Albums_1-25.png

Attachment:
2010Albums_26-50.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Sugarpuss O'Shea on 24 Dec 2010, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

ANSWER FORM -- Use this format when submitting your answers

Section 1 – Lyrics

1. artist - song title

Section 2 – Album Covers

1. artist - album title

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 11:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Update: I made a slight change to #23 (one word was wrong). It is now:

23. Gonna wrap my arms around you, hold you close to me. Oh, babe, I wanna taste your lips. I wanna be your fantasy.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 11:26 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Yay! Between this and the annual Christmas crossword published this morning (1200 clues, the grid is two pages of the paper), I will have some very fun distractions over the next few days. So much for getting my apartment cleaned before Christmas eve company.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 11:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Mazer wrote:
Yay! Between this and the annual Christmas crossword published this morning (1200 clues, the grid is two pages of the paper), I will have some very fun distractions over the next few days. So much for getting my apartment cleaned before Christmas eve company.

:lol: Well, then please extend my apologies to your parents for the state of your apartment.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 12:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

:green: Mr. Bucky and I were just out clearing the driveway (5" of powdery puffy snow, how Christmassy!) and every time I passed him, I realized we were both singing under our breath, trying to place lyrics. :D
Thanks Sugar!!!!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 13:34 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Buckykatt wrote:
:green: Mr. Bucky and I were just out clearing the driveway (5" of powdery puffy snow, how Christmassy!) and every time I passed him, I realized we were both singing under our breath, trying to place lyrics. :D

Say, BK -- and I'm only saying this for your own good -- don't you have a propensity for getting annoying songs stuck in your head? Do you really think it's a good idea to keep playing? ;)

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 13:42 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Steel Frog wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

Say, BK -- and I'm only saying this for your own good -- don't you have a propensity for getting annoying songs stuck in your head? Do you really think it's a good idea to keep playing? ;)

Forget it — she's rolling.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010, 17:01 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Do you guys like the score updates or should I just hang on to the scores and post them at the end?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 09:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I wouldn't mind seeing where we are all in the lineup behind Smithee.....
(this of course means I shall have to get off my big bahookie and send mine in....)

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 15:48 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

On the one hand, the score updates can remind people to work on this and send in answers. My only worry is that an update might discourage someone from sending in answers if others have solved more. But, OK, I'll go ahead and post an update. So far just one entry. Welcome back, Patsy, and good job, JP!

Scoreboard

JP - 96

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 20:14 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Bubby's on the board!

Scoreboard

JP - 96
BubbyChubs - 73

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 11:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Updated Scoreboard

Buckykatt - 244
Mazer - 169
dawson99 - 124
lazybutt16 - 111
JP - 96
BubbyChubs - 73

Deadline is 8:00 PM CST on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You've still got the weekend to work on this, plus a couple extra days for those of you who FilmWise from work. If you've already sent in answers, feel free to re-submit if you think of more. Remember, if you re-submit, you must include all answers in your PM. Your final PM is the one that will count.

:glwacoy:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 18:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I have a few updates, but I think I'll save those until tomorrow...well, except one...

Updated Scoreboard

Buckykatt - 244
Mazer - 169
dawson99 - 124
lazybutt16 - 111
JP - 96
BubbyChubs - 73
Steel Frog - 2

Only 24 hours left until the deadline!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 20:05 
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

Submitted answers for dawgs, NobodysFool and myself! :banana:

We have such sights to show you!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 21:44 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
I have a few updates, but I think I'll save those until tomorrow...well, except one...

Woohoo, on the board!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 21:57 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sheila1313 wrote:

I had wondered if you and dawgs were planning on working together or separately. I forgot to factor in NobodysFool. And since you're friends IRL, this is certainly within the rules as they are currently written. But, is anyone else interested in teaming up with another FWer? Should we open this up to team play?

Oh, and welcome back, NobodysFool!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 22:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hm, it would have been better if I'd asked about this earlier, like before I started posting scores. :?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 06:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Hm, it would have been better if I'd asked about this earlier, like before I started posting scores. :?

I didn't even think about teaming up. :s I've already submitted though and I'm ok with that because I'm good enough, smart enough and doggonnit people like me. :D

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 06:27 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I've beaten last years score so I'm happy, even if I did get a little family help, and doggonit people... respect me?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 13:02 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:

I had wondered if you and dawgs were planning on working together or separately. I forgot to factor in NobodysFool. And since you're friends IRL, this is certainly within the rules as they are currently written. But, is anyone else interested in teaming up with another FWer? Should we open this up to team play?

Sorry, it felt like the right thing to do. It wouldn't have been fair for us to both enter the same answers, and Nobody's Fool is a Facebook friend so we took advantage. To be honest, I only contributed a few and checked Sheila's answers after she got most of them. I am perfectly happy with giving her the credit, she did most of the work.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 14:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

sldawgs wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:

Sorry, it felt like the right thing to do. It wouldn't have been fair for us to both enter the same answers, and Nobody's Fool is a Facebook friend so we took advantage. To be honest, I only contributed a few and checked Sheila's answers after she got most of them. I am perfectly happy with giving her the credit, she did most of the work.

No, it's not a problem, just a unique situation, and it got me thinking that maybe others would want to team up. But, it's too late for that now. We'll table the team issue until next time.

4 more hours until the deadline

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 18:00 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Dang it. I got about 25 of these and then forgot to work on it some more. Sugar, I appreciate all the time you put into the game, even though I didn't submit an answer.