FilmWise Forums
It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 02:13

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mass Effect
PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 00:34 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I now know why I couldn't play Shadow Broker. Turns out I never bothered to actually install it :roll:
Anyway, finished it now, and it's an awesome chapter. I think I'll have to agree it's my favorite one as well.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 01:17 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Middle wrote:
I now know why I couldn't play Shadow Broker. Turns out I never bothered to actually install it :roll:
Anyway, finished it now, and it's an awesome chapter. I think I'll have to agree it's my favorite one as well.

If you did the shadow broker mission on a playthrough you haven't finished yet, be sure to check back with her every couple of missions. You can pick up upgrades, resources, credits and some interesting info. I like being able to redistribute squad mate points in there, too.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 01:44 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

If you did the shadow broker mission on a playthrough you haven't finished yet, be sure to check back with her every couple of missions. You can pick up upgrades, resources, credits and some interesting info. I like being able to redistribute squad mate points in there, too.

Yeah, I noticed. I just redistributed points.

Do you two also find it irritating that you can mine the living crap out of every planet around, but can't exchange that 'loot' for credits? I currently have a shitload of valuable materials, but can't get some upgrades that cost 90.000 credits...

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 02:01 

Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

Do you two also find it irritating that you can mine the living crap out of every planet around, but can't exchange that 'loot' for credits? I currently have a shitload of valuable materials, but can't get some upgrades that cost 90.000 credits...

It would be nice if you could sell or buy minerals. I've also thought that its kind of silly that you have to pay for upgrades when you have the considerable resources of Cerberus backing you. Realistically I should be able to just submit a requisition form to Miranda and get anything I want.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 02:58 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

It would be nice if you could sell or buy minerals. I've also thought that its kind of silly that you have to pay for upgrades when you have the considerable resources of Cerberus backing you. Realistically I should be able to just submit a requisition form to Miranda and get anything I want.

It would make sense to actually invest time in the research. When you pick up some new stuff during missions, you get it to Mordin or something. Then it should take a mission's time to research it, or something.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 08:56 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

A² wrote:
Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

Yeah, having to buy upgrades and do your own mining to pay for them is weak in the context of the game. I guess it makes sense if you find rare/custom upgrades in the course of a mission but anything you can just walk into a store and buy, you should get for free from Cerberus.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 10:40 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

Yeah, having to buy upgrades and do your own mining to pay for them is weak in the context of the game. I guess it makes sense if you find rare/custom upgrades in the course of a mission but anything you can just walk into a store and buy, you should get for free from Cerberus.

Also, It would make sense if there were more minerals or something, so there would be more 'fun' in mining for them. Right now it's just two sides of boring and tedious.

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 21:37 

Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

Also, It would make sense if there were more minerals or something, so there would be more 'fun' in mining for them. Right now it's just two sides of boring and tedious.

I agree, the whole economics side of the game isn't fun. Maybe if there were more minerals to mine plus schematics for various weapons/upgrades that used them. You could use them to build rare or alien upgrades that Cerberus wouldn't be able to just buy for you.

And how about the whole hack/bypass mini-games? I could do without either of them personally. My biggest gripe is how randomly they're used. In one room, you hack a workstation and get 1000 credits and in the next room you just walk up to a locker and grap 5000. Hack would be better if the monetary gain was always tied to how quickly you solved it not just when you get down to the last few seconds. Bypass is just automatic for me now; no challenge and just a waste of time.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 02:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Philip wrote:
Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:
A² wrote:
Middle wrote:

I agree, the whole economics side of the game isn't fun. Maybe if there were more minerals to mine plus schematics for various weapons/upgrades that used them. You could use them to build rare or alien upgrades that Cerberus wouldn't be able to just buy for you.

And how about the whole hack/bypass mini-games? I could do without either of them personally. My biggest gripe is how randomly they're used. In one room, you hack a workstation and get 1000 credits and in the next room you just walk up to a locker and grap 5000. Hack would be better if the monetary gain was always tied to how quickly you solved it not just when you get down to the last few seconds. Bypass is just automatic for me now; no challenge and just a waste of time.

Agreed. I thought that at some point, you should be able to obtain autohacks or the like. If they would be more challenging, there would be some 'fun' in them. But right now they just take away the pace at some points in the game.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 10:54 

E3 news: ME3 will feature voice control using Kinect

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 11:09 

Philip wrote:

bad ass

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 23:30 

I'm giving the engineer another try. It's actually a lot better than I first thought. I think because I tried it when I was new to the game, I didn't fully know my way around. It makes some battles ridiculously easy. Heavy mechs and scions are no problem and I took out the Shadow Broker in about a minute. I just kept deploying the combat drone behind him and shooting him in the back with the SMG and incendiary blasts. His big red shield thing was useless. AI Hacking is limited in use though as there aren't enough opportunities to use it. I've learned not to spend any squad points on it.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 11:11 

Philip wrote:
I'm giving the engineer another try. It's actually a lot better than I first thought. I think because I tried it when I was new to the game, I didn't fully know my way around. It makes some battles ridiculously easy. Heavy mechs and scions are no problem and I took out the Shadow Broker in about a minute. I just kept deploying the combat drone behind him and shooting him in the back with the SMG and incendiary blasts. His big red shield thing was useless. AI Hacking is limited in use though as there aren't enough opportunities to use it. I've learned not to spend any squad points on it.

You're making me want to give it another go now, too. What level are you playing on?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 14:53 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

You're making me want to give it another go now, too. What level are you playing on?

Veteran. I'm using this character to get the last few achievements I don't have before I give Insanity another try. Also, when I'm done with this I'll have completed the game with every class.

I was thinking I'd play as either soldier or sentinel to have the best chance on insanity but I'm now seriously considering using the engineer. It's really good for crowd-control.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 18:15 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

Veteran. I'm using this character to get the last few achievements I don't have before I give Insanity another try. Also, when I'm done with this I'll have completed the game with every class.

I was thinking I'd play as either soldier or sentinel to have the best chance on insanity but I'm now seriously considering using the engineer. It's really good for crowd-control.

My thoughts on beating it on Insanity are to just go with whichever class you think can most effectively deal with the praetorian and hordes of husks. With just about every other enemy you can just stay behind cover and pick your shots.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 18:34 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

My thoughts on beating it on Insanity are to just go with whichever class you think can most effectively deal with the praetorian and hordes of husks. With just about every other enemy you can just stay behind cover and pick your shots.

That definitely rules out adept. It's fun but I was overwhelmed too many times.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 23:21 

OK, Insanity is the last achievement I need to get.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 00:18 

Philip wrote:

good luck

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 21:16 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

good luck

Thanks. I think I'm going to reimport my ME2 engineer and try that on insanity. My main concern is that I'll be powerless against enemies with barriers. I guess I'll try it out and see how it goes.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 00:04 

It seems like everyone on Insanity has barriers or shields. You'll just have to load your party with folks who can take them down.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 09:40 

Have you seen Green Lantern? The bad guy sounds just like the Harbinger.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 11:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:

Not seen it yet, but I'll see it in due time...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:15 

A² wrote:

Did the forces of the universe bend to him?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:38 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Did the forces of the universe bend to him?

They just prolonged the inevitable

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 19:25 

Philip wrote:

:check:

In the end, it wasn't so bad. I think the jump in difficulty from veteran -> hardcore is greater than the jump from hardcore -> insanity.

I started off with my reimported engineer character but that wasn't a good idea. Since enemies are scaled according to your level on insanity, it meant I was fighting level 30 bad guys but I only had level one upgrades. So I restarted with my reimported ME1 vanguard, switched to soldier and finished the game with her. Toughest part was the Reaper IFF mission. It was difficult to take the husks out fast enough, especially at the end where you're trying to destroy the core.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next