FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 23:30

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mass Effect
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 20:04 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Philip wrote:
Philip wrote:
OK, Insanity is the last achievement I need to get.

:check:

In the end, it wasn't so bad. I think the jump in difficulty from veteran -> hardcore is greater than the jump from hardcore -> insanity.

I started off with my reimported engineer character but that wasn't a good idea. Since enemies are scaled according to your level on insanity, it meant I was fighting level 30 bad guys but I only had level one upgrades. So I restarted with my reimported ME1 vanguard, switched to soldier and finished the game with her. Toughest part was the Reaper IFF mission. It was difficult to take the husks out fast enough, especially at the end where you're trying to destroy the core.

That part is a real bitch.

What made you go soldier? Does the assault rifle make a big difference? If you're using the soldier what bonus weapon do you choose on the derelict reaper ship?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 20:26 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
Philip wrote:
OK, Insanity is the last achievement I need to get.

:check:

In the end, it wasn't so bad. I think the jump in difficulty from veteran -> hardcore is greater than the jump from hardcore -> insanity.

I started off with my reimported engineer character but that wasn't a good idea. Since enemies are scaled according to your level on insanity, it meant I was fighting level 30 bad guys but I only had level one upgrades. So I restarted with my reimported ME1 vanguard, switched to soldier and finished the game with her. Toughest part was the Reaper IFF mission. It was difficult to take the husks out fast enough, especially at the end where you're trying to destroy the core.

That part is a real bitch.

What made you go soldier? Does the assault rifle make a big difference? If you're using the soldier what bonus weapon do you choose on the derelict reaper ship?

I find it's the best all-round class in that you're effective from all ranges. The assault rifle is definitely a big advantage -- I usually carry the Mattock semi-automatic which is almost as accurate as a sniper rifle. It came with one of the DLC packs, I forget which one. I find the soldier's adrenaline rush power to be incredibly useful too. I got out of a lot of sticky situations by taking advantage of it and shooting my way out.

I took the Widow sniper rifle on the derelict reaper. The Revenant assault rifle is very nice once you fix the accuracy with an upgrade but it isn't that much better for me than the Mattock. Even though I took it, I didn't use the Widow all that much. I prefer the rapid-fire Viper rifle for regular missions. I used the Widow at the end to bring down the reaper though.

I've become a big fan of the Avalanche as my preferred heavy weapon. Have you ever used it? You can snap freeze enemies and they stay frozen way longer than when hit by cryo rounds/blasts. It proved invaluable in the reaper core mission with all those husks.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 21:44 

Philip wrote:
I've become a big fan of the Avalanche as my preferred heavy weapon. Have you ever used it? You can snap freeze enemies and they stay frozen way longer than when hit by cryo rounds/blasts. It proved invaluable in the reaper core mission with all those husks.

I did very little experimenting with the heavy weapons. On the rare occasions I don't use the Collector Beam I just go with the missle launcher. The Cain is cool but I never got more than 1 shot out of it. I probably missed out on a lot of fun by not trying the others out more.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 16:19 

While between games and waiting for NCAA 12 to arrive in the mail I decided to go back to ME1 and try to beat it on Insanity (when I never even tried it on hard core.) I played for a little over an hour and just gave up. I like the changes made for ME2 so much that ME1 is now virtually unplayable to me.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 07:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

ME3 to be the end of the Shepard storyline, but not the end of the series.
Hope this doesn't mean inferior prequels after this...

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 20:09 

A² wrote:
While between games and waiting for NCAA 12 to arrive in the mail I decided to go back to ME1 and try to beat it on Insanity (when I never even tried it on hard core.) I played for a little over an hour and just gave up. I like the changes made for ME2 so much that ME1 is now virtually unplayable to me.

I did ME2 first then got ME1 and did that to have a character to play all the way through. ME2 all the way since then.

No way I could go back to ME1 knowing what I know now... the Mako, long elevator rides, fairly useless biotics, the Mako, a lot of the same cookie-cutter levels, a vanguard who can't charge and the Mako? No thanks. ME1 is a good game but it's obsolete now that ME2 exists. And the Mako freakin' sucks.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 23:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

I did ME2 first then got ME1 and did that to have a character to play all the way through. ME2 all the way since then.

No way I could go back to ME1 knowing what I know now... the Mako, long elevator rides, fairly useless biotics, the Mako, a lot of the same cookie-cutter levels, a vanguard who can't charge and the Mako? No thanks. ME1 is a good game but it's obsolete now that ME2 exists. And the Mako freakin' sucks.

Instead we got the planet probing in ME2, which was hardly an improvement. Although the Mako did really suck.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 00:03 

Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Instead we got the planet probing in ME2, which was hardly an improvement. Although the Mako did really suck.

True, but at least probing is only a small part of ME2. A few minutes here and there in a new system and the mineral resources stay ticking over. On the other hand, in ME1, the Mako was everywhere. It was essential for every major storyline mission and you needed it for every planet with an anomaly.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 18:53 

New Mass Effect 3 trailer at BioWare site
Spoiler
Do you think those big insect things that attack the Reapers have anything to do with the Rachni, the species that you choose to either save or destroy in ME1? If so, is it going to suck that I chose the option to kill the queen and wipe them out? :?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 19:33 

Philip wrote:
Spoiler
Do you think those big insect things that attack the Reapers have anything to do with the Rachni, the species that you choose to either save or destroy in ME1? If so, is it going to suck that I chose the option to kill the queen and wipe them out? :?

I got excited just seeing a new post in this thread. I am really looking forward to this game.

Spoiler
I thought it looked like a thresher maw attacking the reaper.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 00:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
Spoiler

I got excited just seeing a new post in this thread. I am really looking forward to this game.

:green:
A² wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
:green:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 00:50 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Could be that too. The Rachni will be in there somewhere though and I don't think we've heard the end of the Krogan genophage story either.

BioWare have also confirmed that there will be multiplayer. We'll get to play as Asari, Turian, Salarian and apparently some other new races. Hopefully, we'll get to pick our class too.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 01:03 

I always appreciated how you could "pause" the action while selecting powers or abilities. I'm not sure how that's going to work in a multiplayer format.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 15:41 

I put down a pre-order deposit on Mass Effect 3, today. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I just hope I can get to 100% completion on Skrim before March 6th.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 18:28 

A² wrote:
I put down a pre-order deposit on Mass Effect 3, today. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Did you get any preorder bonuses? I preordered mine from amazon.com (with release day delivery) and got a $10 credit from them. I don't think I get any additional in-game stuff.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 23:33 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Did you get any preorder bonuses? I preordered mine from amazon.com (with release day delivery) and got a $10 credit from them. I don't think I get any additional in-game stuff.

Usually you get a code inside for a new gun or outfit or something but honestly I didn't even check. I was just excited to to get it pre-ordered. I should have checked around.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 01:49 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Usually you get a code inside for a new gun or outfit or something but honestly I didn't even check. I was just excited to to get it pre-ordered. I should have checked around.

I saw a list of who was offering what a while back but none of them was incentive enough for me to pay sales tax and deal with a shopping mall when I could have a man in brown shorts bring it straight to my home, day of release, Jerry Brown five bucks worse off.

I'm interested to try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which comes out next week, I think. Another western-style fantasy RPG, early demos look fantastic, and it has some big names behind it - R.A Salvatore providing the lore, Ken Rolston (Morrowind, Oblivion) leading development and Curt Schilling (huge gaming fan) producing it - but it's unfortunately coming out far too close to ME3 to get a spin up.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 04:42 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

I saw a list of who was offering what a while back but none of them was incentive enough for me to pay sales tax and deal with a shopping mall when I could have a man in brown shorts bring it straight to my home, day of release, Jerry Brown five bucks worse off.

I'm interested to try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which comes out next week, I think. Another western-style fantasy RPG, early demos look fantastic, and it has some big names behind it - R.A Salvatore providing the lore, Ken Rolston (Morrowind, Oblivion) leading development and Curt Schilling (huge gaming fan) producing it - but it's unfortunately coming out far too close to ME3 to get a spin up.

Bloody sock pitcher Curt Schilling?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 10:51 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Bloody sock pitcher Curt Schilling?

The same.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 14:56 

I'm downloading the demo for ME3 right now.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 17:16 

A² wrote:

I only had time to play for about 20 minutes before I had to go to work. It seems like more of the same, from what I could tell. That's not really a bad thing, though, since ME2 can make a legit claim as my favorite 360 game. I guess it was kind of cool being able to use the Kinnect to say "throw" to biotic throw people instead of using the controller. I still found myself using the controller to do it more often than not.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 22:16 

A² wrote:
A² wrote:

I only had time to play for about 20 minutes before I had to go to work. It seems like more of the same, from what I could tell. That's not really a bad thing, though, since ME2 can make a legit claim as my favorite 360 game. I guess it was kind of cool being able to use the Kinnect to say "throw" to biotic throw people instead of using the controller. I still found myself using the controller to do it more often than not.

I played about 15 minutes of it but I think I'll wait for the full release rather than risk spoiling it for myself. I wasn't disappointed with it though. Everything looked and played great.

I need to reassess my 360 top-five in light of all the great recent games. ME2 is still top of the pile but Portal 2, Arkham City, Dark Souls and Skyrim are all now in consideration for the other spots.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 23:38 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
A² wrote:

I played about 15 minutes of it but I think I'll wait for the full release rather than risk spoiling it for myself. I wasn't disappointed with it though. Everything looked and played great.

I need to reassess my 360 top-five in light of all the great recent games. ME2 is still top of the pile but Portal 2, Arkham City, Dark Souls and Skyrim are all now in consideration for the other spots.

I wish there was a way to check my play times for all of my games. The data may be somewhere on my hard rive but I've never seen a way to a access it. That would be kind of a true test as to which games I like the most. I'd wager that ME2 and Oblivion would be at the top with GTA4 coming up next.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 16:54 

Mass Effect 3: Space Edition

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 17:33 

Philip wrote:

I can't believe Oklahoma City isn't on the list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next