FilmWise Forums
It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 21:27

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 21:40 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

As suggested by A², a thread for discussion about Bethesda's Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 21:48 

I'm nearly at level 7 with a female Nord character. I'm mostly a fighter (one-handed weapons/shield/light armor) but I've now started to develop destruction and alteration.

I started out following the main quest up until I encountered the first dragon. Since then, I've gone off to do some exploring. I went to Winterhold and joined the College of Mages and it seems everyone there has something they want me to do.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 11:11 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I just hit level 11 with my female Breton. I've been focusing on destruction, one-handed, alchemy and smithing. I took the main quest to Whiterun and have been side-questing there ever since. I joined the Companions and have advanced (what feels like) pretty far through their ranks.

I'm really enjoying lighting someone up with flames from the left hand and then slashing them with a sword from the right for the kill shot.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 11:16 

Philip wrote:

A² wrote:
Have you encountered any giants, yet? My level 5 character picked a fight with one and died after 1 hit.

:D Was going to ask you the same thing. I was level 4, accidentally pressed the shout button and he turned hostile and killed me with one swing of his club.

There's a shout button? I learned a shout but haven't used it yet. I assumed it was just like another spell.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 16:21 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

A² wrote:
Have you encountered any giants, yet? My level 5 character picked a fight with one and died after 1 hit.

:D Was going to ask you the same thing. I was level 4, accidentally pressed the shout button and he turned hostile and killed me with one swing of his club.

There's a shout button? I learned a shout but haven't used it yet. I assumed it was just like another spell.

RB

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 17:49 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

A² wrote:

In violent times, you shouldn't have to sell your soul
You shouldn't have to
Shout, shout, let it all out, these are the things I can do without

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 23:47 

Companions spoiler

Spoiler
I was on a mission where I had to fight a trio of enemies in a dungeon. One lady was really tough and killed me at least 15 times before I finally decided to try out turning into a werewolf. I eviscerated all three of them in a matter of moments on my next attempt. It was very satisfying.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 00:54 

This game is tough. Way harder than Oblivion. After leveling up a couple of times in that, I didn't die once. Skyrim is still killing me with regularity at level 20. I finished the College of Winterhold quest-line today. The boss at the end of the penultimate quest was brutal. He was immune to whatever spells I threw at him and when I tried to melee him he put me down with two hits. I think I only made it through because he somehow got stuck and couldn't chase me and I got to a spot where I could just keep zinging him with arrows. A whole shit-load of arrows. Archery leveled up 5 times in that fight.

Have you activated a quest where some guys are looking for a Redguard woman in Whiterun? Everyone I know who's playing Skyrim has triggered that quest but none of us have found her. I had an encounter on the road where the same guys were harassing another Redguard woman but not the one they were looking for.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 02:06 

Philip wrote:
This game is tough. Way harder than Oblivion. After leveling up a couple of times in that, I didn't die once. Skyrim is still killing me with regularity at level 20. I finished the College of Winterhold quest-line today. The boss at the end of the penultimate quest was brutal. He was immune to whatever spells I threw at him and when I tried to melee him he put me down with two hits. I think I only made it through because he somehow got stuck and couldn't chase me and I got to a spot where I could just keep zinging him with arrows. A whole shit-load of arrows. Archery leveled up 5 times in that fight.

Have you activated a quest where some guys are looking for a Redguard woman in Whiterun? Everyone I know who's playing Skyrim has triggered that quest but none of us have found her. I had an encounter on the road where the same guys were harassing another Redguard woman but not the one they were looking for.

I feel like i am dying a whole lot more frequently than Oblivion, too. I just hit level 20, as well.

That's an insane amount of arrows. I don't even carry that many, although now that arrows are weightless I guess I should.

I just found the Winterhold College but haven't joined, yet. Now I'm thinking I may wait a bit before running through those quests. I got the lead on the dark brotherhood so I'll just go for that instead.

I got the redguard lady quest about an hour ago but haven't pursued it.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 09:09 

I've joined the Companions but haven't done any of their quests yet. Sounds like werewolves have fewer drawbacks than vampires.

I've joined the Dark Brotherhood and have done a few of their easy kills. The next contract they gave me sounds a bit more involved. I've been working with the guy who seems to be the contact for the Thieves' Guild so once I finish a couple of tasks for him, I should be in. I still haven't picked a side in the civil war yet although I'm leaning towards the Stormcloaks. National self-determination and all that...

Learned something useful about enemy leveling in Skyrim. In the open world, enemies level at the same rate as your character, as they did in Oblivion. However, in dungeons, their level is set to yours when you first enter that dungeon. So if it's kicking your ass at first, leave, level up a couple of times, then come back and lay waste.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:13 

Philip wrote:

Learned something useful about enemy leveling in Skyrim. In the open world, enemies level at the same rate as your character, as they did in Oblivion. However, in dungeons, their level is set to yours when you first enter that dungeon. So if it's kicking your ass at first, leave, level up a couple of times, then come back and lay waste.

That is very useful information.

Being a werewolf is pretty badass. So far, the only drawback I can see is that you don't get the restful bonus when you sleep. Thats a decent trade off for being able to transform and shred some motherfucker.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 13:30 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

Being a werewolf is pretty badass. So far, the only drawback I can see is that you don't get the restful bonus when you sleep. Thats a decent trade off for being able to transform and shred some motherfucker.

I believe you're also susceptible to silver weapons. However, I have not as yet seen any silver weapons in the game.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 14:10 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

I believe you're also susceptible to silver weapons. However, I have not as yet seen any silver weapons in the game.

The rivals of the Companions, the Silver Hand, all carry silver swords.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 01:40 

Philip wrote:

I found her inside the Bannered Mare in Whiterun when I went inside to steal the Argonian Ale.

After getting my character to level 22 I decided to start over. Now I've got an ugly, ruthless Argonian dude.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 16:50 

A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

I found her inside the Bannered Mare in Whiterun when I went inside to steal the Argonian Ale.

Roger that. Thanks. I know I checked in the Bannered Mare before. I must've missed her or she must have a schedule that takes her elsewhere.

A² wrote:
After getting my character to level 22 I decided to start over. Now I've got an ugly, ruthless Argonian dude.

I thought about restarting around level 16 but ultimately decided to persevere with my original character. I wish I could do-over a couple of perks. I thought I was going to use magic a lot more than I do so I have points in conjuration and destruction that I'd rather have elsewhere. I'm pretty much a two-handed tank now, although I can also use a bow effectively too. I've been smithing and enchanting to supplement my income (basically forging, enchanting and selling damage health iron daggers over and over). I've put points in stamina and perks in the 2H weapons tree to the extent that my power attack is a one-hit kill in a lot of cases. I just turned it up to medium difficulty and I'm taking down sabrecats with two big swings. The beheading perk and the running charge attack are both very useful too.

I figured a couple of effective ways to level up skills quickly. For illusion, muffle works well and for alteration, the best way seems to be casting detect life in a populated area (by the shops in Whiterun during the day). It helps that I've done the college of Winterhold quests as some of the loot you get during and at the end has good benefits in magica and regeneration time.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 16:54 

... and I just discovered that you can turn ores into ingots at the smeltery in Whiterun.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being bombarded with quests. For every one I complete, I pick up three more along the way.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 17:29 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:
Philip wrote:

Roger that. Thanks. I know I checked in the Bannered Mare before. I must've missed her or she must have a schedule that takes her elsewhere.

A² wrote:

I thought about restarting around level 16 but ultimately decided to persevere with my original character. I wish I could do-over a couple of perks. I thought I was going to use magic a lot more than I do so I have points in conjuration and destruction that I'd rather have elsewhere. I'm pretty much a two-handed tank now, although I can also use a bow effectively too. I've been smithing and enchanting to supplement my income (basically forging, enchanting and selling damage health iron daggers over and over). I've put points in stamina and perks in the 2H weapons tree to the extent that my power attack is a one-hit kill in a lot of cases. I just turned it up to medium difficulty and I'm taking down sabrecats with two big swings. The beheading perk and the running charge attack are both very useful too.

I figured a couple of effective ways to level up skills quickly. For illusion, muffle works well and for alteration, the best way seems to be casting detect life in a populated area (by the shops in Whiterun during the day). It helps that I've done the college of Winterhold quests as some of the loot you get during and at the end has good benefits in magica and regeneration time.

I've been making my money with the alchemy and smithing. I'm kind of late to the enchanting but I finally put soul trap on a weapon and then I just go out and kill a bunch of wolves and stuff with it to fill my soul gems up so I can then turn around and enchant stuff.

I've been enjoying using destruction magic so much I haven't even used a 2-handed weapon yet. I didn't realize there was a beheading perk, though. Does the head really come off? You make a convincing argument to go 2-handed.

Did you pick a side in the rebellion. I've just started going stormcloak. I haven't forgiven the Imperials for trying to cut my head off at the start of the game. Have you seen a patrol walking a stormcloud prisoner along a road? You can choose to free the guy and even arm him. That's pretty fun.

Your leveling up suggestions sound like a good ones.

Before I switched to my new character I took out a dragon as a werewolf. That was pretty satisfying, even if it was one of the weaker ones.

Have you noticed any benefits to finishing guild quest trees? In oblivion they became great sources of income. So far, Companions is the only one I've finished but I haven't found any real benefit from it.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 18:07 

A² wrote:
I've been enjoying using destruction magic so much I haven't even used a 2-handed weapon yet. I didn't realize there was a beheading perk, though. Does the head really come off? You make a convincing argument to go 2-handed.

Yep. She takes one swing at his legs to drop him to his knees and another to take his head off. She does another finishing move where she impales the guy through the stomach and lifts him up as he dies. One of the enemies you have to deal with in the mages' quest line was taunting and insulting me all along so when we finally got to fight, it was particularly satisfying when I did that to him.

Do you get any of those slowed-down sequences when you kill with magic? I never saw one but perhaps I didn't use destruction enough. It was another reason why I switched to a melee character. Dragon Age: Origins had the same problem -- eye-candy for the meleers but nothing special for the mages.

A² wrote:
Did you pick a side in the rebellion. I've just started going stormcloak. I haven't forgiven the Imperials for trying to cut my head off at the start of the game. Have you seen a patrol walking a stormcloud prisoner along a road? You can choose to free the guy and even arm him. That's pretty fun.

I haven't taken any sides yet. I found a few Stormcloak camps and hung out to see what they were like. They do seem kinda like assholes too but to your point, none of them has ever tried to behead me. So that they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

A² wrote:
Before I switched to my new character I took out a dragon as a werewolf. That was pretty satisfying, even if it was one of the weaker ones.

I had one kill where I jumped onto the dragon's neck and hacked at its head.

A² wrote:
Have you noticed any benefits to finishing guild quest trees? In oblivion they became great sources of income. So far, Companions is the only one I've finished but I haven't found any real benefit from it.

I have the arch-mages quarters at the college of Winterhold but to be honest, I haven't really explored much of what it gives me besides a place to sleep and store stuff. I think I can call on any of the college members to be followers too but I find followers to get in the way more than anything so that's not important to me. You do get a few cool items from the quest. The arch-mages robes give you a -15% spell cost, +50 magica and +100% magica regen. Couple of other neat trinkets too but defintely more suited to magic users than me.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 19:00 

I haven't seen any magic animated kills. I've seen a couple with my one handed sword and mace. I should try to dual wield some swords to see if there are some cool ones for that. I get the one you described where you lift them up and impale them. That's cool. I've also shoved a sword down a wolf's throat a couple of times.

The Stormcloaks are definitely assholes, but I think that's because I was playing as an Argonian (not that that really excuses anything.)

I agree about not liking to have people on the quests with me. There were several times on a Companions quest where i would have an arrow shot all lined up and then my stupid partner would run in front of me and take an arrow in the back.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 22:40 

My experience with followers is that they always find the worse place to stand. They're always blocking doorways and passageways. I took the girl from the house in Whiterun on one quest but she was such a hindrance I got rid of her.

I've spent a couple of perks in the Heavy Armor constellation too which I think is a good companion to 2H weapons if you go that route. Juggernaut is a big help and really lets you soak up the hits. Blows that would have sent me reeling to half health before are now barely leaving a scratch. The left half of that perk constellation is fairly worthless (at least to me). I don't see any value in a bonus to unarmed combat or reduced fall damage while wearing heavy armor. I've been upgrading stamina fairly constantly too, since I've found the power attacks with the 2H weapons are very effective. So much so in fact, that I'm pretty much always going for them.

I definitely plan to take 2H Sweep when I can (level 70... I'm at level 66). That looks like fun... take down multiple opponents with one big swing. The perks in the archery tree look pretty cool too... zoom, slow time. I've started using a bow so I can try some of those out.

I've mostly ignored the main quest so far. I'm supposed to meet up with Joan Allen somewhere but I started that ages ago and haven't bothered to go to the rendezvous. Instead I've gone after a few more side quests and miscellaneous which have been useful in turning up a few more dragon words.

So far, I'm absolutely loving it. GOTY for me, knocking Batman: Arkham City off the top spot after only a couple of weeks. Portal 2 in 3rd place. Any minor complaints I might have with fonts and the favorites system (I prefer Oblivion's d-pad hot keys) pale against how big and detailed and epic it is. Now I just have to see how good the new Zelda is.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 04:41 

Have you found a reliable place to sell goods, yet? I find I am constantly trying to find people to sell to. As unrealistic as it was, I liked how the Oblivion merchants never ran out of money to buy my goods.

On the main quest I haven't even gone to visit the shouting elder people on top of the mountain.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 10:13 

A² wrote:
Have you found a reliable place to sell goods, yet? I find I am constantly trying to find people to sell to. As unrealistic as it was, I liked how the Oblivion merchants never ran out of money to buy my goods.

Just the shops in Whiterun but none of them are great. Most of the time I have much more stuff to sell than the merchants have money for but at least my house is conveniently nearby so I can stash stuff until they get some more funds.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 15:20 

I got married. That was cool, I guess. My wife runs a shop and gives me a cut of the profits whenever I see her and I can also buy and sell from her.

If you get a chance to have a drinking contest with a guy in a bar I highly recommend you take it. It has been my favorite quest so far.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 15:33 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

A² wrote:
I got married. That was cool, I guess. My wife runs a shop and gives me a cut of the profits whenever I see her and I can also buy and sell from her.

If you get a chance to have a drinking contest with a guy in a bar I highly recommend you take it. It has been my favorite quest so far.

Did you win her in the drinking contest?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 17:30 

Philip wrote:
A² wrote:

Just the shops in Whiterun but none of them are great. Most of the time I have much more stuff to sell than the merchants have money for but at least my house is conveniently nearby so I can stash stuff until they get some more funds.

I do most business with Warmaidens. It's ideal because it's right next door to my house and main base, plus it has all the smithing equipment right outside. I also find that they have more money on hand than the other shops, plus there are two merchants with their own separate funds (I missed that at first... didn't realize you could also sell to the woman outside working the forge). Belethor's is a last resort if I can't sell elsewhere. He never seems to have more than 750 gold available but he does buy jewelry and other stuff.

I saw there was an achievement for getting married but so far I've had no conversation options about it. I feel like I should have had some offers by now as I'm a fairly hot, independent Nord lady with her own home and a steady source of income. I wonder perhaps if suitors are put off by my secret nighttime murdering habit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next