FilmWise Forums
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 05:24

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Android Games
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2013, 21:02 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
fonglai wrote:
This is going to reveal my true nerd level. I downloaded Magic the Gathering on my tablet. It looks pretty sweet on there.

oh my

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2013, 05:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Scruluce wrote:
fonglai wrote:
This is going to reveal my true nerd level. I downloaded Magic the Gathering on my tablet. It looks pretty sweet on there.

oh my

I don't understand why I haven't even looked for an M:tG app on my droid phone. Haven't played since Ice Age, but it would be fun to give it another shot especially without having to buy packs. I've been waiting for my son to get a little older before buying us a couple of starters.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 02:05 
Key Grip
Key Grip

You Know, for Kids wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
fonglai wrote:

oh my

I don't understand why I haven't even looked for an M:tG app on my droid phone. Haven't played since Ice Age, but it would be fun to give it another shot especially without having to buy packs. I've been waiting for my son to get a little older before buying us a couple of starters.

The full game is $9.99, but now that you mention playing with the kid I may just do that. I wish I hadn't sold all my cards. There's a multi-player mode, but I can't find if it's a pass and play or online type.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 04:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fonglai wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
fonglai wrote:

oh my

The full game is $9.99, but now that you mention playing with the kid I may just do that. I wish I hadn't sold all my cards. There's a multi-player mode, but I can't find if it's a pass and play or online type.

I sold about 2/3 of my cards 10 years ago and used the money for a good chunk of the downpayment on our house. I still have some decent cards I could sell, including a pristine beta Lotus. Been thinking about getting that one graded.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 06:42 
Key Grip
Key Grip

fonglai wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
fonglai wrote:

oh my

I sold about 2/3 of my cards 10 years ago and used the money for a good chunk of the downpayment on our house. I still have some decent cards I could sell, including a pristine beta Lotus. Been thinking about getting that one graded.

That's going for about $5k on eBay! Google says some have sold for $15,000. Dang!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 10:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fonglai wrote:
fonglai wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
fonglai wrote:

oh my

That's going for about $5k on eBay! Google says some have sold for $15,000. Dang!

I sold its' twin back then for $300, then got shafted by paypal for it.

Back in the day I was good friends with the local comic store owner. We both learned about M:tG at the same time, which was a few weeks after the release of Antiquities. We were intrigued, so we played (and bought up a lot) and finally started doing tournaments on the weekends in his store. It took off. In late 1994 he was approached by 2 customers who suggested broadening the tournaments with something in Manhattan - and thus "Encounters '95" was conceived. We added 2 additional business partners, including Walter Wang, a prominent player in the direct comics market until he challenged Marvel's practices and lost, earning instead a ban from being allowed to receive any direct market product. He was seeking a means to keep himself close to the general industry.

We planned and produced a 3-day convention in Manhattan featuring a massive M:tG tournament overseen by WotC themselves. The grand prize was a full set of unlimited. CCGs were just starting to ramp up so this also was an opportunity for WotC to promote Jihad, their vampire CCG, and other companies like Decipher (Star Trek CCG) to come in and present. We had panel discussions and a dealer floor - a full convention just for CCGs. And a 24/7 gaming floor. The first of its kind.

We also lost a crap-ton of money. Enough that my partners didn't want to move forward with an E'96 even though WotC was very interested. Initially my partners were willing to offer their "share" of the company for $1 each and let me carry it forward, but at the last minute 1 partner renegged on that and wanted a 50/50 split to move forward. Knowing the work would all fall on my shoulders, I was unwilling to move forward under those terms. So, I let it die. We informed WotC and walked away. The next year WotC debuted their "Pro Tour" which is probably still going on in some form, but for a while was valued enough to be covered on ESPN in an hour-long show on ESPN2. Ah, what could have been.

Still, that weekend was fun - I met a lot of cool people, had a ton of fun, and didn't sleep for more than an hour, maybe.

Along the way I had the opportunity to play Richard Garfield, and spent lots of money buying cards. Many of those still sit in boxes in the attic (including thousands of On the Edge, Illuminati and Shadowfist- games I was sure would take off almost as well as Magic) but a lot of the best cards were auctioned off on Ebay back in '03 in preparation for buying our house.

Somewhere I bet I still have a copy of the program we created for the event.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 16:46 
Key Grip
Key Grip

Wow. I would love to dig around in your attic. That's about the same time I started playing. I was good friends with a comic book store owner too, but I never went to tournaments. I just played with other comic book store nerds some weekends. They really turned me off from playing more. They were the super nerdy snobby type. It was hard to be taken seriously as a girl, but they got their butts handed to them a lot of times and they would get so angry. Good times. Unfortunately, what I didn't sell I gave to some kids. I'd have to to start from scratch.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 12:02 
Key Grip
Key Grip

For fans of Plague, check out Bio Inc. - Biomedical Plague.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014, 13:16 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fonglai wrote:
For fans of Plague, check out Bio Inc. - Biomedical Plague.

No.

They screwed me over by not allowing the unlocking of extra material in Plague, Inc. as they promised. Fuck 'em.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 19:34 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Not exclusive to Android, but that's the phone I play on...

Contest of Champions

I like it. Kinda fun.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 07:34 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'll have to check that out. I'm digging Marvel Puzzle Quest these days.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 18:53 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I gave both of those Marvel games a little spin but gave up after a week or two. I didn't want to get sucked back into a game where I'd be compelled to spend money to succeed.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 20:44 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

That is a common theme among Marvel games. I'm less tempted to spend money in CoC than I was in WoH
(fnar fnar... CoC)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 11:53 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I gave both of those Marvel games a little spin but gave up after a week or two. I didn't want to get sucked back into a game where I'd be compelled to spend money to succeed.

MPQ is much more casual friendly. And while spending can help, it's by no means as much of a temptation as MWoH was.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 15:02 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Scruluce wrote:
Not exclusive to Android, but that's the phone I play on...

Contest of Champions

I have created an alliance:
Loose Screws

Feel free to send a request to join.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 08:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Sigh... like I needed more diversions.

Anyone play any or all of:
- Star Wars Card Trader
- Topps BUNT
- Topps KICK
- Topps HUDDLE

?

I've barely started playing (especially the last two) but it feeds my app addiction and collector mentality. If anyone is playing it would be great to friend you and have a potential trading partner I can trust.

I'm "Silvercross" on all 4.