FilmWise Forums
It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 22:44

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ingress
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 03:03 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Ingress is an augmented reality massively multiplayer online role playing GPS-dependent game created by Niantic Labs, a startup within Google, originally for Android devices, and since July 14, 2014 for Apple's iOS. The game has a complex science fiction back story with a continuous open narrative.

The gameplay consists of establishing "portals" at places of public art, landmarks, cenotaphs, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units, i.e. people, nominally controlled by each faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map). The necessary links between portals may range from meters to kilometers, to hundreds of kilometers in operations of considerable logistical complexity. International links and fields are not uncommon, as Ingress has attracted an enthusiastic following in cities worldwide amongst both young and old, to the extent that the gameplay is itself a lifestyle for some, including tattoos.

Players
Scruluce - Scruluce
Bubbychubbs - Sunshine57
Dawson - dawson99
A² - H0nkyKong (the 2nd character is a zero)
Hiller - Hi11er
You Know, for Kids - SilverByrd
sldawgs - sldawgs

Passcodes (Time sensitive?)
4qe2turingr5r9q - July 31st
5xh9substitutionp3s2t - July 31st

Links
http://www.ingressguide.com
http://www.ingressportal.com - Good information
http://www.ingress.com/intel - can enter "access codes"

Last edited by Scruluce on 05 Aug 2014, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ingress
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 03:05 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
Who else is playing this, and what faction are you in?

I am one of the enlightened (green), as opposed to the resistance (blue).

It would be cool if everyone on FW (playing) was of the same faction, so we could eventually make some huge connections between portals.

discuss...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 04:41 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Oooh sounds good.
I play hobbit (way too much) but would be interested if we got a few of us

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 05:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I joined the enlightened. I'm Sunshine57

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 06:20 

I'm dawson99 I'm enlightened too

edit:
I can see this being very addictive, I currently have 3 portal keys and have visited 5 unique portals with 4 hacks. Not entirely sure what I'm doing but I feel like a secret agent holding my phone as I walk around London

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2014, 02:47 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Is there a way to friend up on this? I'm H0nkyKong (the 2nd character is a zero)

Scru, if there is a way to friend up can you edit the first post to hold everyone's names?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2014, 04:12 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hi11er

Enlightened

When we're living our dream

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 05:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

SilverByrd - enlightened.

We all joined the losing team... thanks, Sarah! ;)

This app was pointed out to me the night before my family and I left for an 11 day road trip. I've been feeling my way around since then, getting some cool portal keys (though some have since been used) and fumbling through to level 3. I arrived home yesterday and immediately took control of the portal nearest my house. Later today I should have a small network of fields and links set up.

I'm still not sure entirely what the benefits of fields are other than blocking opposing links, and there are a ton of items and rules I have no idea about. And I've only started looking through the online "Ingress Guide" site:

http://www.ingressguide.com

Also valuable for learning about portals in your area (and elsewhere) is http://www.ingress.com/intel where you can see the currewnt state of the world presented in a google maps interface.

I'll look into figuring out how to add friends other than the email address invites. I'm sure there is a way.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 08:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

ingressportal.com has good information, too. So far the friends thing is a dead end (articles I am reading say it cannot be done but they are old), but I noted this information, which is useful:

Quote:
I got some sort of “Media” thing from hacking.
Allegedly, if you read the whatever-it-is carefully, you can get an “access code” out of it. If you enter the access code into the box in your “Ops” screen, it will give you a small amount of AP, plus some free items. (You can also enter codes into the lower right corner of http://www.ingress.com/intel.) If you find friends who are on your team, you can trade codes with each other. More items for everyone! - See more at: http://ingressportal.com/guides/origina ... SLQ2I.dpuf

I don't know any of these passcodes yet, myself, but we should start a list in the original post.

Also:

Quote:
I’m building a portal, and I want to make it hard for the enemy to kill.
Your resonators are easiest to kill when the enemy is standing on them. If you stand at maximum range from the portal and deploy your resonators from there, then your resonators will be spaced far out from the portal, and it will be harder for the enemy to hit them all with a single XMP Burster. If some of your resonators happen to be someplace your opponents can’t stand on (like over water, or inside buildings), that makes them much harder to kill.
High-level resonators are harder to kill than low-level resonators, so try to put your best resonators in places where the enemy can’t stand. Don’t forget to put portal shields on your portal. The most common ones are rated at “+6″ which I think means the portal’s resonators take 6% less damage per shield attached.
Of course, if the enemy is firing high-level bursters, they can blow up your resonators no matter what. But you might as well make it expensive for them. - See more at: http://ingressportal.com/guides/origina ... SLQ2I.dpuf

I hadn't even considered that where I was deploying a resonator from made a difference, though I had noticed the differences in proximities of some portal's resonators.

Also, I've learned that you can remotely recharge a friendly portal if you have the portal key. Good to know.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 10:17 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Oh look, sldawgs was available. Woo Hoo!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 10:19 

I just hit level two by taking over an Ethiopian church (and you won't hear that sentence very often)

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 12:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
I just hit level two by taking over an Ethiopian church (and you won't hear that sentence very often)

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 12:38 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

You Know, for Kids wrote:
Dawson wrote:

It's not the one with the real arc of the covenant in it, is it? That would be sweet.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 15:10 
Key Grip
Key Grip

Hey! Last time I looked, we were winning! :banana:

Does anyone else have a rival?? MathNerd and CryptOKnight are mine. I'm waiting to run into them somewhere. I want my Jamba Juice back!!!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 05:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fonglai wrote:

Hey! Last time I looked, we were winning! :banana:

Does anyone else have a rival?? MathNerd and CryptOKnight are mine. I'm waiting to run into them somewhere. I want my Jamba Juice back!!!

No rival here, yet, but it's bound to happen. My area seems to be somewhat vacant of Ingress users, which is probably a blessing and a curse. I took most of the locations in the 2 mile radius around my home yesterday, made some links (mostly at random) and today I hop to make a field if I didn't screw up any of the possibilities.

I'm also about to hit level 4. I'm going to need to set up a few of these local spots as item farms soon (use the heat sink and multi-hack mods on a portal you can protect to reduce cooldown and allow more hacks before it gets burned out). I'm guessing resource management becomes a problem in the mid-levels.

I've done very little attacking of the enemy so far - I think I want to travel a bit away from my area to do that so as to reduce the chances of retaliation. But, at the same time, it's an area I probably need to get more experience in.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 05:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Also, passcodes:

4qe2turingr5r9q
5xh9substitutionp3s2t

passcodces seem to have a limited time and # redeemable. I've found a google+ group (*cringe*) where they post some. I bet there are more resources of that type. The g+ group is: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 9806789745

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 09:03 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I haven't had any time to read up on the rules or the names of things, but I stopped by the park closest to work and it had a portal that was white, so I claimed it for the enlightened and put down a few resonators. There is a portal in the park next to my apartment that is part of the resistance. I'll have to work on figuring out how to capture it. Can't have those damn resistance guys so close to home. :D

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 13:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

sldawgs wrote:
I'll have to work on figuring out how to capture it.

Hold your finger down over the enemy portal and options will come up. slide up to "Fire XMP" (or something like that) and it will let you fire attack items. Proximity matters! Resonators out of range will not take damage, and resonators farther away from you will take less damage than those nearest.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 13:42 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

sldawgs wrote:

Hold your finger down over the enemy portal and options will come up. slide up to "Fire XMP" (or something like that) and it will let you fire attack items. Proximity matters! Resonators out of range will not take damage, and resonators farther away from you will take less damage than those nearest.

Okay, there looks like there is a full compliment of resonators, it may take me a while. And I guess we will see if I live near a resistance member.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 15:54 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

sldawgs wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Okay, there looks like there is a full compliment of resonators, it may take me a while. And I guess we will see if I live near a resistance member.

Well, by the time I got home, it wasn't a resistance portal anymore. I claimed it, along with a Jehovah's Witness church. So we are racking up the churches.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 06:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Active passcode:

5wg8codex5z3z

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2014, 17:33 

The sculpture in front of my office is a portal. I can hack it from my desk. I'm not sure how often I can hack it without it burning out, but I hit it at least once an hour.

I took the kids to the zoo on Friday. That place was a gold mine. There were 30 or 40 portals scattered around. I went in with low 50kap and was almost up to 80k when I left. I managed to give the kids and the animals a little bit of attention, too.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 16:07 
Key Grip
Key Grip

I'm in a couple Google hangout groups and have picked up a few tips. There are two ways to play; leveling and winning. While I'm sure we all want to win, we obviously need to level first.

At our level, there is no benefit to holding onto a portal. You get more points by claiming and placing a mod. If you hang onto it, you're not gaining any points besides the hacking points. Fields give you the same amount of points no matter the size. Harv already mentioned the placement of resonators. Strategy depends on location. A lot of people play while driving so you want to keep your resonators away from roads. Otherwise, good strategy is wise placement so whoever is attacking your portal has to do a lot of walking around and use more ammo.

Ultra strikes are great if you are standing directly over the portal. It will destroy the mod and prevent it from firing at you. You can also stand directly over a resonator to deal 20% or more damage.

When firing, you can select your ammo and hold down the fire button. It will pulsate and build up. If you get the timing right and release when it is a ball, you will deal more damage.

There are some crazy serious ingress players that love training newbies. The hangouts are super helpful and everyone has been really nice.

Go green!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 07:43 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
The sculpture in front of my office is a portal. I can hack it from my desk. I'm not sure how often I can hack it without it burning out, but I hit it at least once an hour.

I think Sarah posted the timeframe - it's like 3 or 4 hacks in 3 or 4 hours time. But you can use mods to increase the number of hacks you can make, and other mods can decrease cooldown between hacks. So your office portal location is a good opportunity for an item farm portal, if enlightened can hold it. I have not been to our office since I started playing (looks like it will be 2 more weeks until I have to go in) but there is a portal near the corner. I am hoping it can be reached by one of the desks I usually hotel at.

fonglai wrote:
At our level, there is no benefit to holding onto a portal. You get more points by claiming and placing a mod. If you hang onto it, you're not gaining any points besides the hacking points. Fields give you the same amount of points no matter the size.

I disagree... a little. For one thing, even at our levels, item farms are valuable if they can be held. I'd rather not waste mods on portals I can't hold (unless I just want to be a dick in someone else's territory). Secondly, you need to rank medals to advance at certain level plateaus. I'm not sure completely what those are, but holding portals/links/fields over time works towards medal increases, I think. Lastly, creating and holding fields gets you noticed in your area, and it's good to build some street cred with other ingress hackers.

That info about the pulsing attack may come in handy, though - I'll have to try it if I can get out later today.

I'm close to level 5. Other new players in my area have gone from 1-8 in under a week. Jeez.

We're headed out of town again on Saturday, so I'm going to lose all my portals when that happens anyway. So, at this point, I have not concentrated on building the item farm I'd eventually like to in the cemetery a mile or so up the road from me. There are about 9 or 10 portals in fairly close proximity of one another with a few spot having overlap (overlap is good as turrets from one will protect others in range). Eventually I want to build a couple of those portals up with multi-hack mods, though I really can't see myself making trips even that far just to spend a half hour or whatever there hacking these portals. We'll see.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 08:29 

I found a corner of London Kings Cross where nothing was owned, and now it's all mine! And if someone takes it tomorrow, then the fight begins, should help me level up pretty quick.