Quantic Dream Games

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Quantic Dream Games

#1 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 13:02

This company (French) has been producing motion-capture titles with increasingly complex stories; digital "choose your own adventure" style work.

As opposed to creating a thread for each title, I thought is would be more useful to have ongoing discussion regarding all of their titles:

Heavy Rain
Beyond: Two Souls
Detroit: Become Human

is anyone else familiar with these?
...unless something better's on TV

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Quantic Dream Games

#2 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 13:23

Heavy Rain

While Quantic Dream had two other titles prior to this one, this was both my first interaction with the game developer, and by far their most successful title to date.

In the game, the player takes turns playing through four different characters, each having some involvement in mystery central to the game.
IMDb Synopsis wrote:Architect, and Father Ethan Mars joins a Private Detective, a Journalist, and an FBI agent in a race against time to save his son from a child murderer, known as the Origami Killer.
I'd never seen motion-capture used to this extent for a game. The motion capture filming really enhances the gameplay overall.
I didn't see any recognizable faces in the game, but it was clear that actors did way more than lend their voices to the characters.

Depending on how each character is played, the story changes, even if only slightly. Ultimately, choices made determine the ending that the player sees.
Each character has multiple endings: Ethan/dad has 5 possible endings, as does journalist Madison; Private eye Scott has 3 endings, and FBI agent Norman has 4.
While there are 17 possible endings, (Smithee can check my math) there are 300 possible combinations of those 17 endings.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#3 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 14:53

Beyond: Two Souls
The success of Heavy Rain brought Hollywood to the table for the production of the second game.
Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe lead the cast of characters, with other easily recognizable faces in the mix.

This time out, the game centers around playing as Jodie (Page), or the disembodied entity Aiden.
The story is presented, by default, as disjointed and out of order, jumping around Jodie's timeline.
(Once the game is completed once, there is an option to replay chronologically.)

While there are parts of this game that I liked less than Heavy Rain, the timeline being one of them, there are other chances taken that I have to respect.
The best example is that of Jodie's timeline. This isn't a story that takes place in the span of hours, days, or even a few weeks. The developers put the player in control of Jodie at multiple ages, ranging from formative years (maybe 7-8 years old) through adulthood. This is where the motion capture really shines for this game, as Ellen Page portrays Jodie at all ages.
This game runs the gamut with elements of sci-fi, paranormal, espionage, and suspense.

It was a different experience, focusing on a single character, but there are still multiple endings. The game touts 24 possible endings, but they're really 8 major endings, with the other 16 endings being variations of those 8 (different characters alive or dead at the end).

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#4 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 15:55

Detroit: Become Human
This is the most recent offering by Quantic Dream, and is the most involved story yet.
While the general level of fame of the cast didn't increase, there are still recognizable faces: Valorie Curry, Jessie Williams, Minka Kelly, Lance Henriksen, and Clancy Brown.
PushSquare.com wrote:Detroit: Become Human has more endings than previous Quantic Dream games. There are a staggering number of permutations to the way this story can conclude, ranging from the color of a particular character’s hair to the clothes they're wearing to whether they even make it out alive.
This story centers around a near future scenario where androids become self-aware, as an anomaly of their programming, and seek individuality and basic civil rights as a people.
Players play as 3 separate characters, developing each through conversations and actions that culminate with intersecting timelines and different vantage points of an android civil rights uprising.

There are a total of 11 major endings, across 3 the characters (5,4,2), meaning there are technically only 40 possible combinations of endings for gameplay, however there are supporting characters whose fates are also tied to your decisions, all of which can also die, effectively creating a different ending.
To help players wrap their heads around the variations, the end of each chapter shows a flow chart with the player's starting point and ending point, complete with locked (unused) possible segments.
Additionally, there is only one character that is necessary through the entire story, also the character with the least number final ending scenarios. It is, however, possible for this character to die, and be replaced by another of the same model, repeatedly. (Sadly, I know this through experience on my only playthrough so far.)

Probably one of the coolest parts of this game is the extra features unlocked as gameplay progresses. Players can unlock behind the scenes videos, initial video promos, conception art, as well as soundtrack songs and character bios. Watching the BTS content, including interviews and production content, was the most interesting for me.

I've crushed on Valorie Curry ever since The Following, have enjoyed Jessie Williams in Grey's Anatomy (don't judge), and am always entertained by Clancy Brown (Highlander, Sleepy Hollow, Spongebob?!). I geek out imagining how much fun it would be to be given a role like these where you act out multiple scenarios and outcomes PER CHAPTER, and at times even in multiple places within a chapter. This also makes my OCD geek out on how much effort had to go into the naming structure of media files, and keeping all those threads sorted. I cannot fathom the number of hours logged to render all of that filming into video game content. I watched those BTS videos, and still can't imagine...
Last edited by Scruluce on 10 Sep 2018, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#5 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 16:14

There you have it, brief rundowns on all 3 games.

In finishing all this out, I realize that these were Playstation exclusive titles, which could exclude a large chunk of our dwindling community.
FWIW, anyone interested in watching scenarios play out, there are recorded streams of gameplay (start to finish) available on YouTube and Twitch

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#6 Post by » 10 Sep 2018, 17:53

I'm an Xbox/PC guy. Those games sound cool, though.
The :) means it's all ok.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#7 Post by Scruluce » 10 Sep 2018, 20:22

A² wrote:I'm an Xbox/PC guy. Those games sound cool, though.
the precursor to those titles is available on gog.com, though I've heard it's a bit clunky in comparison -- Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

I would argue that these games (along with God of War) are stong argument to switch systems :mishchief:

#8 Post by » 10 Sep 2018, 21:25

Scruluce wrote:
the precursor to those titles is available on gog.com, though I've heard it's a bit clunky in comparison -- Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

I would argue that these games (along with God of War) are stong argument to switch systems :mishchief:
My boy has a PS4 in his room. I could play his if I wanted to but to me its not worth smelling his funk or potentially sitting on a jizz sock
The :) means it's all ok.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#9 Post by Scruluce » 11 Sep 2018, 00:09

A² wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

My boy has a PS4 in his room. I could play his if I wanted to but to me its not worth smelling his funk or potentially sitting on a jizz sock
LoL ... maybe ask to borrow it for the living room? LoL

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by redamin » 11 Sep 2018, 06:16

Scruluce wrote:
A² wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

LoL ... maybe ask to borrow it for the living room? LoL
But... where's the inherent risk in that?

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#11 Post by Sela » 11 Sep 2018, 07:20

Heavy Rain is the only one I've played, and I did enjoy the settings and choices.

But, since it's a murder mystery, finishing the game and revealing the plot, took away the replayability factor for me, something that is usually a big one for me.
8 more months of school.....

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#12 Post by Scruluce » 11 Sep 2018, 08:26

Sela wrote:Heavy Rain is the only one I've played, and I did enjoy the settings and choices.

But, since it's a murder mystery, finishing the game and revealing the plot, took away the replayability factor for me, something that is usually a big one for me.
Yeah, I get that. For my daughter, that ended the game in the second worst possible scenario, there is replay value in ending on a more positive note.
Beyond: Two Souls is an optional title, IMO. It's fun to play with someone else, one controlling Josie, the other controlling Aiden, but I'm not sure you're missing a lot if you skip it.
Detroit: Become Human was fantastic to play through. I cannot wait to play through it again.

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by redamin » 11 Sep 2018, 12:07

I remember the first time I saw a trailer for Detroit. It looks absolutely amazing. I don't have the extra cash for it at the moment, but it's on my list!

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#14 Post by Scruluce » 11 Sep 2018, 14:11

redamin wrote:I remember the first time I saw a trailer for Detroit. It looks absolutely amazing. I don't have the extra cash for it at the moment, but it's on my list!
bump it up on the list!

My daughter is currently watching a playthrough by the actor that played her favorite character. He has been providing commentary of his experience as he plays through, which is kinda cool.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#15 Post by Middle » 12 Sep 2018, 11:43

Have never played any of the games, but I was in awe at the tech demo they did for the PS3, the geniunely great short film Kara:

This was later used as a backstory for Detroit: Becoming Human
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#16 Post by Scruluce » 12 Sep 2018, 13:41

Middle wrote:Have never played any of the games, but I was in awe at the tech demo they did for the PS3, the geniunely great short film Kara:

This was later used as a backstory for Detroit: Becoming Human
This was released as bonus content for Beyond: Two Souls.

The Detroit: Become Human is staggering in image quality and realism.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#17 Post by Scruluce » 23 Apr 2019, 01:07

I have been discussing Heavy Rain with my daughter (as she plays through for a better ending). We both agree that Heavy Rain has been the strongest story that Quantic Realm has released.
Detroit has the best graphics and a more refined control scheme.
Beyond arguably had bigger names in the cast, but I think Detroit has a larger number of recognizable faces.

Also, Gamestop has a 3-pack of these titles for $29.99