FilmWise Forums
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 01:16

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I need some good read's and you guys seem to mention some good ones every now and then...I need some suggestions:

right now Im reading 'Three Daughter's' by Letty Cottin Pogrebin. It's a great book about three Jewish sisters from the Upper East side, but it's such an easy read, I'll be done by tomorrow.. :(

suggestions?? anyone..

I can read anything so subject matter is not an issue. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:41 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

I'm currently reading and rather enjoying The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. It's about two jewish cousins in Manhattan during WWII, one of them left his family behind in Prague, that create together and work on a superhero comic book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:45 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'll recommend "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry (of Terms of Endearment fame), since it was the last book I read that I really enjoyed. I'll admit that the first 100 pages are slow, but it's about 950 pages, so it's not too bad. The miniseries is also very good, and Robert Duvall is awesome in it!
Also, don't ever read China Men. I just finished reading that book in my English class; truly painful. It was interesting for about two pages, but then it just went downhill. I'd like to save as many people from this before they pick it up.

I never find him home

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:48 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'm currently reading Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (big surprise).

Next in line is Straight Talking by Jane Green (brit chick book ala Bridget Jones).

I recommend both. However, if for some strange reason you decide to take up the SK book, start at volume I - The Gunslinger. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:51 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

I just finished Win the Bermuda Bowl With Me.

I've got all sorts of bridge and chess books I could recommend to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:53 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

I just finished reading "The Smiting Trilogy" by Kinggrl. The first two ("To Know You is to Smite You" and "I Smite, Therefore I Am") were brilliant but the last one ("Kinggrl: My Life In Smiting") was a bit self-indulgent.

Last edited by Philip on 11 Dec 2003, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:55 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Buffoon1918 wrote:
I'm just finished reading "The Smiting Trilogy" by Kinggrl. The first two ("To Know You is to Smite You" and "I Smite, Therefore I Am") were brilliant but the last one ("Kinggrl: My Life In Smiting") was a bit self-indulgent.

:lol: My favorite was the prequel The Pen is Smitier Than the Sword

Last edited by JJ on 11 Dec 2003, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:56 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Buffoon1918 wrote:
I'm just finished reading "The Smiting Trilogy" by Kinggrl. The first two ("To Know You is to Smite You" and "I Smite, Therefore I Am") were brilliant but the last one ("Kinggrl: My Life In Smiting") was a bit self-indulgent.

Are they out in soft covers already? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 15:59 

Jame Gumb wrote:
Buffoon1918 wrote:

:lol: My favorite was the prequel The Pen is Smitier Than the Sword

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Another "Dammit... I wish I'd thought of that" moment brought to you by JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 16:08 

snotball wrote:
Buffoon1918 wrote:

That would defeat the purpose.

(see Book 2, Chapter 12 "Smiting in Libraries: 19th Century Hardbacks vs. Madonna's Sex Book")

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 16:09 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Buffoon1918 wrote:
snotball wrote:
Buffoon1918 wrote:

That would defeat the purpose.

(see Book 2, Chapter 12 "Smiting in Libraries: 19th Century Hardbacks vs. Madonna's Sex Book")

:lol:

Total thread annihilation in 8 posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 17:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Buffoon1918 wrote:
I just finished reading "The Smiting Trilogy" by Kinggrl. The first two ("To Know You is to Smite You" and "I Smite, Therefore I Am") were brilliant but the last one ("Kinggrl: My Life In Smiting") was a bit self-indulgent.

I completed the Kinggrl trilogy and her most recent..."It's My Party and I'll Smite if I Want To"....I think I'll go with the Bridget Jones Follow up now... :joker:

Thanks, further recommendations are encouraged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 17:26 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Jame Gumb wrote:
I just finished Win the Bermuda Bowl With Me.

I've got all sorts of bridge and chess books I could recommend to you.

Yeah, and Jame's got all sorts of small print books he can recommend, too. :x :roll:

I've always got several books in some sort of half-read state. Currently, I'm in the process of reading:
Lamb : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. I highly recommend it -- it's hi-larious.
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It sounds like a really morbid topic, but it's actually pretty interesting. And the author has such a unique writing style that's humorous, yet still very respectful of her subject matter.

If you like science fiction at all, one of my all-time favorite authors is Orson Scott Card. I'd especially recommend Enchantment and the Ender Wiggin series: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

I also recently read Holidays On Ice by David Sedaris and it is so unbelievably funny!! And it's subject matter is so wonderfully appropriate for this time of year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 19:43 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

It so nice to know that I've been recognized. Ah, thankyou.

Keep an eye out for my next one, which I am having bound with asbestos, for that added kick.

Signatures available upon request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 21:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Try reading either "Already Dead" or "Jesus' Son" by Denis Johnson. I haven't ever seen the film version of Jesus' Son but I heard it was good (and if it has Billy Crudup in it, I'm sure I'd like it).
Denis Johnson is actually a friend of my old creative writing professor. Denis came to our class for a very personal 8 on 1 Q&A session. It was really nice of him- and talking with him made me appreciate the books more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 21:47 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
If you like science fiction at all, one of my all-time favorite authors is Orson Scott Card. I'd especially recommend Enchantment and the Ender Wiggin series: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

Have you read Pastwatch:The Redemption of Christopher Columbus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 21:51 
Director
Director

I highly recommend Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. World War II, codebreaking, modern-day hackers, computers, gold, conspiracy, destiny. Stephenson knows how to weave rich, fantastic tales rooted in reality.

Also, someone else mentioned Adventures of Cavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. That is another brilliant story. By the way, DarkHorse Comics is coming out with a comic book based on one of the comicbook characters in Cavalier & Clay -- The Escapist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 21:56 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

wanderlust for life wrote:
By the way, DarkHorse Comics is coming out with a comic book based on one of the comicbook characters in Cavalier & Clay -- The Escapist.

I've noticed that in last month's Previews catalog. One of the stories is written by Chabon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 23:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I am currently still reading Fast Food Nation (hard to get through at times as it seriously goes into some detailed information), and Conversations With God (this is a pretty amazing book).

I'm also reading Alan Moore: Portrait of An Extraordinary Gentleman (which is probably more fun for people who've already some of Alan Moore's stuff)

And let's see what else...Pure Drivel by Steve Martin, which isn't bad but isn't great.

And a book of poetry by Maya Angelou (awesome)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2003, 23:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'm reading Shogun by James Clavell, and it is incredible! It is probably the best book I've ever read, and I'm only halfway through. If you're interested in Japanese traditions, samurais, and all that stuff, you'd love this book. If you're not, you will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2003, 00:33 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Just finished Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard, now on Striptease by Carl Hiaasen. Crime novels with cool dialogue is where i'm at right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2003, 05:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I am currently reading the Hobbit and the drawing of the 3 by S.King.

I recommend the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan and just about anything written by Michael Crichton-a few of his must reads are Jurrasic Park and Eaters of the Dead (retelling of Beowulf).

If your into non-fiction I highly recomend Band of Brothers which is an amazing true story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2003, 07:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

well you prob read it becuase everyone else has

by i loved the divinci code (it is worth the read, eve if everyone is talking about it,)

would also recomend then Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, great funny book, and if you liek the first one their are four more to keep you going

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2003, 07:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

That reminds me Terry Pratchets Disc world series is pretty funny, and I highly recomend Robert Asprins Myth series which is fantastic.

and Ill go ahead and be the one to say it--Harry Potter is very good and worth reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2003, 07:07 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

F.N.G. wrote:
Just finished Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard, now on Striptease by Carl Hiaasen. Crime novels with cool dialogue is where i'm at right now.

I listened to one of Hiassen's books on tape (think it was called Lucky You) and it was hilarious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next