The Book Thread (aka "what are you reading?")

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Re: The Book Thread (aka "what are you reading?")

#1751 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Apr 2012, 10:00

Slight departure from the usual Sedaris -- it's a collection of fictional stories written from the perspectives of anthropomorphized animals. But those familiar with his usual battles over will, vanity and pettiness can recognize the prose. A tad blue for my tastes, but not bad.

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#1752 Post by Dawson » 03 May 2012, 04:40

Onto my 3rd 'Prey' book and still enjoying.

Has anyone read the Philip Kerr Berlin Noir trilogy? Just ordered as supposed to be good and wondering what anyone thought?
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1753 Post by spymeg » 04 May 2012, 10:50

Has everyone heard the buzz about Fifty Shades of Grey? Well, I'm reading it now and I'd love to know if anyone else is and what their thoughts are. To me, it seems like the wordage is weird but it is definitely steamy. I'm not even half way through though so if it's steamy now, I can't imagine what the rest of the book is like.

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1754 Post by Buckykatt » 04 May 2012, 12:28

Aside from the shitstorm surrounding Katie Roiphe's Newsweek story, I haven't heard much-- I had kind of dismissed 50 Shades because it sounded like it was going to be akin to the AN Roquqlaure Beauty books, which I find boring beyond belief (and somewhat poorly written). (If I want smut, I'll stick with Alexander Trocchi, thank you very much). I'll be interested to hear what you think when you're done--I may have to check it out just to satisfy my own curiosity now.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1755 Post by plaxii » 09 May 2012, 12:42

Currently reading Only Forward by Michael Marshal Smith (A Dawson suggestion).

About 60% through, but this is a damn good book so far. Enjoying it, even though i really have no clue what is really going on. :)
I am in a world of shit

Dawson

#1756 Post by Dawson » 12 May 2012, 12:41

plaxii wrote:Currently reading Only Forward by Michael Marshal Smith (A Dawson suggestion).

About 60% through, but this is a damn good book so far. Enjoying it, even though i really have no clue what is really going on. :)
glad you like it, it's his first book, so if you like then the others : one of us, spares, then his crime trilogy of The Straw Men.

He has also published a few short story collections, with titles such as "When God lived in Kentish Town" you know it can be a bit out there

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#1757 Post by alan smithee » 12 May 2012, 13:01

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

alan smithee

#1758 Post by alan smithee » 12 May 2012, 13:01

Done.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

BubbyChubs
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1759 Post by BubbyChubs » 03 Jun 2012, 19:05

let's pretend.jpg
It's quite funny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1760 Post by plaxii » 06 Jun 2012, 07:39

Currently reading The man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick. Cool concept so far, very interesting read, first time i read an alternative history story, that actually has two alternatives in it.

Next up is Wool by Hugh Howey. If anyone read it let me know if it is worth it.

And on a semi related note, just go the Nook touch Glowlight. Have to say i am loving it, I am comparing it to the Kobo which was a POS, but the light is really good, and the speed of turning pages is great.
I am in a world of shit

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1761 Post by Buckykatt » 06 Jun 2012, 11:29

A friend of mine who's a professional critic (movie, books, music, culture, politics, etc) often talks about the sheer pleasure of a huge summer book, the anticipation of feeling the accumulation of pages in your right hand slowly transfer over to your left. In that vein, he recommended and DH and I both loved Neal Stephenson's Reamde, which is just out in paperback (though DH and I both wound up reading it on the iPad). The Amazon precis doesn't really do it justice--it's a terrific read, intricate, well paced, well plotted, and just plain fun. And slightly over 1000 pages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1762 Post by plaxii » 07 Jun 2012, 10:48

Buckykatt wrote:A friend of mine who's a professional critic (movie, books, music, culture, politics, etc) often talks about the sheer pleasure of a huge summer book, the anticipation of feeling the accumulation of pages in your right hand slowly transfer over to your left. In that vein, he recommended and DH and I both loved Neal Stephenson's Reamde, which is just out in paperback (though DH and I both wound up reading it on the iPad). The Amazon precis doesn't really do it justice--it's a terrific read, intricate, well paced, well plotted, and just plain fun. And slightly over 1000 pages.

Agreed this was a pretty good one. Personally i liked Ready Player One better, and these books are always talked about together, that is the only reason i bring it up. The plots would attract the same people but are not that similar
I am in a world of shit

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1763 Post by Mazer » 11 Jun 2012, 11:13

Buckykatt wrote:A friend of mine who's a professional critic (movie, books, music, culture, politics, etc) often talks about the sheer pleasure of a huge summer book, the anticipation of feeling the accumulation of pages in your right hand slowly transfer over to your left. In that vein, he recommended and DH and I both loved Neal Stephenson's Reamde, which is just out in paperback (though DH and I both wound up reading it on the iPad). The Amazon precis doesn't really do it justice--it's a terrific read, intricate, well paced, well plotted, and just plain fun. And slightly over 1000 pages.
Oooh. I've been eyeing this one a way, but am trying not to buy anything right now. But now in paperback + your review may just provide the justification I need.

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1764 Post by Buckykatt » 12 Jun 2012, 09:55

Mazer, it's a great summer read--but if you have an iPad (or even on a laptop) Mr. B and I have mostly been taking electronic titles (either Kindle or ePub) out from the local library--since it sounds like you're trying to keep your spending down.

spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1765 Post by spymeg » 12 Jun 2012, 10:42

Finished the Fifty books. I think people are making too big of a deal about them, but I also think everyone gets from it what they want to. Some people are disgusted by it, some are turned on and some have changed their lifestyle because of it. I say whatever works and more power to ya. The writing sure changed from book one to book three. It's as if she was very young writing the first one and matured by the last. Maybe that was on purpose? Who knows, but a tip for the FW dudes: if your woman is reading and enjoying it, you should read it too and have some fun with it. Now back to James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell who fell by the wayside during the fifty read.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1766 Post by Mazer » 12 Jun 2012, 17:54

Buckykatt wrote:Mazer, it's a great summer read--but if you have an iPad (or even on a laptop) Mr. B and I have mostly been taking electronic titles (either Kindle or ePub) out from the local library--since it sounds like you're trying to keep your spending down.
Thanks, Bucky, but I'm still maintaining a position of haughty disdain for ereaders. And the ban isn't so much about keeping spending down (though yeah, that's good) as it is about acquiring stuff. I'm already having nightmares about the work that packing up my apartment so I can rent it out is going to be, so am trying not to bring anything else that will last past the summer in.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#1767 Post by Sela » 07 Jul 2012, 20:32

Just started this
Divergent.jpg
8 more months of school.....

Dawson

#1768 Post by Dawson » 12 Jul 2012, 07:37

I need something to read. Just read some book called Helix, was recommended by Stephen Baxter who I think is awesome so I was expecting to think. Helix is a good book, but a lil too 'soft'. i need some geeky harder sci fi. An epic or something to get into. I'm even considering getting into the steampunk scene next. Anyone got any ideas?

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#1769 Post by sldawgs » 12 Jul 2012, 07:42

Dawson wrote:I need something to read. Just read some book called Helix, was recommended by Stephen Baxter who I think is awesome so I was expecting to think. Helix is a good book, but a lil too 'soft'. i need some geeky harder sci fi. An epic or something to get into. I'm even considering getting into the steampunk scene next. Anyone got any ideas?
Steampunk is more a visual medium then written, isn't it? I would love to see if steampunk translated to book form.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Dawson

#1770 Post by Dawson » 12 Jul 2012, 08:06

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:I need something to read. Just read some book called Helix, was recommended by Stephen Baxter who I think is awesome so I was expecting to think. Helix is a good book, but a lil too 'soft'. i need some geeky harder sci fi. An epic or something to get into. I'm even considering getting into the steampunk scene next. Anyone got any ideas?
Steampunk is more a visual medium then written, isn't it? I would love to see if steampunk translated to book form.
There are a few I have been told about and I think it's something I'd like to get into... maybe this: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

I dunno, I'll keep looking

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#1771 Post by sldawgs » 12 Jul 2012, 09:06

Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
There are a few I have been told about and I think it's something I'd like to get into... maybe this: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Now that I think about it, H.G.Wells has a lot of steampunk imagery in his work. At least 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and The Time Machine do. So I guess it has been around for awhile.
Image Image Image

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1772 Post by F.N.G. » 12 Jul 2012, 09:30

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Now that I think about it, H.G.Wells has a lot of steampunk imagery in his work. At least 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and The Time Machine do. So I guess it has been around for awhile.
Jules Verne.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#1773 Post by sldawgs » 12 Jul 2012, 09:34

F.N.G. wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Jules Verne.
Yeah, him too, sorry.
Image Image Image

spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1774 Post by spymeg » 12 Jul 2012, 10:02

sldawgs wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Jules Verne.
Yeah, him too, sorry.
Verne, Wells...whatever it takes.

AngelTash
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1775 Post by AngelTash » 12 Jul 2012, 10:24

spymeg wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

Jules Verne.
Yeah, him too, sorry.
Verne, Wells...whatever it takes.
:lol:
All things truly wicked start from innocence.