FilmWise Forums
It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 01:57

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 00:57 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Finished 2 books in the last 2 weeks

HeadHunters - Anyone who has seen the film, no need to touch the book. It is a very good adaption, in actual fact one of the few times the film is better than the book, and the book is pretty darn good.

The Martian - I literally laughed out loud on the bus reading this on the way to work. And I actually liked the traffic jams as i could read more. Hilarious, clever, witty. Can't wait for the movie!

Need my next series to really get into

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 11:48 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 12:15 
Offline
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Posts: 34260
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

_________________
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 12:51 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 14628
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

It's on my to-do list (reading that book, not judging Dawson)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 13:01 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33121
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

It's on my to-do list (reading that book, not judging Dawson)

Well, I've read Mockingbird twice, so I guess judging Dawson moves to the head of my queue.

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 13:13 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Steel Frog wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

It's on my to-do list (reading that book, not judging Dawson)

Well, I've read Mockingbird twice, so I guess judging Dawson moves to the head of my queue.


I knew as I typed it it was wrong! Im only 5 chapters in but it is a genius book. I read a lot. Probably around a book a week. This is just superbly written. The kind of skill only comes along once a generation at most.

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2015, 21:49 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 08:47
Posts: 5137
Dawson wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

It's on my to-do list (reading that book, not judging Dawson)

Well, I've read Mockingbird twice, so I guess judging Dawson moves to the head of my queue.


I knew as I typed it it was wrong! Im only 5 chapters in but it is a genius book. I read a lot. Probably around a book a week. This is just superbly written. The kind of skill only comes along once a generation at most.

This reminds me, has anyone read the sequel? Should I?

_________________
Man, what is happenin'? Long time, no see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 10:34 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
justdrewit wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Found my next book. Being from UK for us it was never really a classic but finally reading To Kill a Mocking Bird. Don't judge me!

(Amazing book so far can't believe I never read)

I'm sure there is a classic UK book they teach in school there that we haven't read. The only reason some of us read To Kill and Mockingbird was because of school.

It's on my to-do list (reading that book, not judging Dawson)

Well, I've read Mockingbird twice, so I guess judging Dawson moves to the head of my queue.


I knew as I typed it it was wrong! Im only 5 chapters in but it is a genius book. I read a lot. Probably around a book a week. This is just superbly written. The kind of skill only comes along once a generation at most.

This reminds me, has anyone read the sequel? Should I?

No. Clearly a rough draft and a lot of the details of Mockingbird are changed, which make me think that the stories that Lee didn't want it published are true. Also, it's not good enough for there to be any benefit in reading it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 02:01 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Finished To Kill a Mockingbird. Damn, no idea how I never read that. Next will be Of mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye.

Now I'm reading the Forever War, great sci-fi with just a small hint of Vietnam.

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 06:44 
Offline
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Posts: 34260
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Dawson wrote:
Finished To Kill a Mockingbird. Damn, no idea how I never read that. Next will be Of mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye.

Now I'm reading the Forever War, great sci-fi with just a small hint of Vietnam.

Don't let J.D. Salinger get to you, man. Don't go all conspiracy theory on us.

_________________
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 07:29 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 29277
Location: Gotham's seedier side
sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Finished To Kill a Mockingbird. Damn, no idea how I never read that. Next will be Of mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye.

Now I'm reading the Forever War, great sci-fi with just a small hint of Vietnam.

Don't let J.D. Salinger get to you, man. Don't go all conspiracy theory on us.

Great. They got 'dawgs too.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 17:28 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Posts: 5864
Location: a furry little Don Quixote
Of Mice and Men, absolutely. Catcher--so much less. I think Catcher is a book you have to encounter for the first time at a very specific point in your life--when you're an asshole 13-15 yr who is sure no one understands you. People who find it then love it, and often love it for a lifetime. If you encounter it as an adult, it seems very different (or did to me. I generally dislike Salinger anyway, though, so YMMV)

I will also share a quote that made me laugh--a piece about campus sex which actually talked to real students (rather than trotting out quasi-anecdotal opinions of 40 yr olds who all proclaim hook up culture to be the deadening destroyer of worlds)--a young woman said, when a potential partner said that he "related" to Holden Caulfield: "You just told me so much about what this experience would have been like, and I am not interested." :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 18:46 
Offline
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Posts: 34708
Location: parts unknown
Buckykatt wrote:
I will also share a quote that made me laugh--a piece about campus sex which actually talked to real students (rather than trotting out quasi-anecdotal opinions of 40 yr olds who all proclaim hook up culture to be the deadening destroyer of worlds)--a young woman said, when a potential partner said that he "related" to Holden Caulfield: "You just told me so much about what this experience would have been like, and I am not interested." :)

I met a girl who had a similar feeling about The Bell Jar that had me running away.

_________________
The :) means it's all ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 09:09 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 33121
Just finished Ready Player One. Very enjoyable. Thank you for the loaner, JJ. Now my daughter wants to read it, too.

Did anybody else here picture Bill in the lead role?

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 01:00 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8395
Location: Around
Steel Frog wrote:
Just finished Ready Player One. Very enjoyable. Thank you for the loaner, JJ. Now my daughter wants to read it, too.

Did anybody else here picture Bill in the lead role?

I'm blazing through this. Absolutely loving it, with just 70 more pages to go!

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 03:50 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Middle wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Just finished Ready Player One. Very enjoyable. Thank you for the loaner, JJ. Now my daughter wants to read it, too.

Did anybody else here picture Bill in the lead role?

I'm blazing through this. Absolutely loving it, with just 70 more pages to go!


they've got the female lead casting perfect
Spoiler
(Olivia Cooke)
. Now if they can only get Gene Wilder out of retirement...


I need a new book, reduced to reading Jack Reacher books, which are fun, but can read one in a day

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 04:05 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8395
Location: Around
Dawson wrote:
Middle wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Just finished Ready Player One. Very enjoyable. Thank you for the loaner, JJ. Now my daughter wants to read it, too.

Did anybody else here picture Bill in the lead role?

I'm blazing through this. Absolutely loving it, with just 70 more pages to go!


they've got the female lead casting perfect
Spoiler
(Olivia Cooke)
. Now if they can only get Gene Wilder out of retirement...


I need a new book, reduced to reading Jack Reacher books, which are fun, but can read one in a day

For some reason I'm picturing Halliday as Crispin Glover.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2016, 23:49 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8395
Location: Around
Middle wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Middle wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Just finished Ready Player One. Very enjoyable. Thank you for the loaner, JJ. Now my daughter wants to read it, too.

Did anybody else here picture Bill in the lead role?

I'm blazing through this. Absolutely loving it, with just 70 more pages to go!


they've got the female lead casting perfect
Spoiler
(Olivia Cooke)
. Now if they can only get Gene Wilder out of retirement...


I need a new book, reduced to reading Jack Reacher books, which are fun, but can read one in a day

For some reason I'm picturing Halliday as Crispin Glover.

Finished it yesterday. Simply awesome.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 04:53 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8395
Location: Around
Dawson wrote:
they've got the female lead casting perfect
Spoiler
(Olivia Cooke)
\
Really? According to the book, she's 168 lbs and 'rubenesque'. While Olivia Cooke is downright skinny. She does somewhat look the part, though.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 04:57 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Middle wrote:
Dawson wrote:
they've got the female lead casting perfect
Spoiler
(Olivia Cooke)
\
Really? According to the book, she's 168 lbs and 'rubenesque'. While Olivia Cooke is downright skinny. She does somewhat look the part, though.


Was she? I don't remember that at all.

Image

this is how I always saw her, maybe I missed that bit!

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 05:10 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Posts: 5864
Location: a furry little Don Quixote
Dawson wrote:
I need a new book, reduced to reading Jack Reacher books, which are fun, but can read one in a day


I liked the first couple Reachers I read, but they're SO formulaic and Reacher is such a completely unbelievable character, I had to stop. (of course, you could arguably say that about Lucas Davenport in the Prey books, and I love those) Dawson, what do folks in the UK think about hte Robert Galbraith triology, the adult mystery series by JK Rowling? I just finished the third one and I've really enjoyed them all. They're kind of under the radar here, though--I don't think most americans realize she's written anything for adults (still haven't read Casual Vacancy) but I assume that's different across the pond...?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 07:18 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2013, 05:56
Posts: 2153
I could use a recommendation as well... I read most of Clancy's library last year so now Goodreads keeps giving me more Cold War era war novels... which can be decent, but not really amazing. I also went on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick last year and read The Martian and Ready Player One (along with a few other dystopian kind of books like the Wool series). Any recommendations are welcome!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 07:52 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8395
Location: Around
redamin wrote:
I also went on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick last year and read The Martian and Ready Player One
.

Just read those two back to back. Great combination of a very different (sci-fi) kind.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 07:57 
Offline
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Posts: 13703
Location: Colorado
Middle wrote:
redamin wrote:
I also went on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick last year and read The Martian and Ready Player One
.

Just read those two back to back. Great combination of a very different (sci-fi) kind.

Funny... those were my last two finished reads as well.

_________________
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 09:15 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
Odd Todd wrote:
Middle wrote:
redamin wrote:
I also went on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick last year and read The Martian and Ready Player One
.

Just read those two back to back. Great combination of a very different (sci-fi) kind.

Funny... those were my last two finished reads as well.

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group