FilmWise Forums
It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 02:01

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 12:37 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

I don't visit the comic book store weekly, but I receive a monthly shipment of comics. Out of what I read, the better ones are:
100 Bullets
Checkmate
DMZ
Fables
Jack of Fables (a spin off from Fables)
Y: The Last Man (which is about to end, bing)
The Walking Dead
Captain America
Daredevil
Punisher
Thunderbolts
Ex Machina

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 15:38 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

You Know, for Kids wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
So does anyone here go to a comic book store weekly? If so what books do you get?

Off the addiction since ~ 1994. Before that I spent upwards of $100 most weeks, on pretty much everything and often multiple copies.

I know eventually my 12 full sets of Secret Wars will be worth thousands!

You sound like you have my collection... lol... I stopped at about 1996 though... and I only have one set of secret wars... and I only started collection in 1990... hmm... OK so maybe we don't have the same collection... :lol:

My best stuff is my complete run of Amazing Spiderman #298 on until when I stopped collecting. Almost every Aliens/Predator series in Dark Horse comics... and the early years of Image comics... otherwise all I have is over-hyped multicovered foil 3D hologram shiney crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 06:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Odd Todd wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
So does anyone here go to a comic book store weekly? If so what books do you get?

Off the addiction since ~ 1994. Before that I spent upwards of $100 most weeks, on pretty much everything and often multiple copies.

I know eventually my 12 full sets of Secret Wars will be worth thousands!

You sound like you have my collection... lol... I stopped at about 1996 though... and I only have one set of secret wars... and I only started collection in 1990... hmm... OK so maybe we don't have the same collection... :lol:

My best stuff is my complete run of Amazing Spiderman #298 on until when I stopped collecting. Almost every Aliens/Predator series in Dark Horse comics... and the early years of Image comics... otherwise all I have is over-hyped multicovered foil 3D hologram shiney crap.

I'd guess I'm a little older than you, or at least was collecting earlier. Plus, I threw a lot of money at older books that I saw as value purchases and stuff to complete collections (like X-Men back to #94 when I started at around #165).

My best book would be a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 3 in VF+ condition which I bought for around $125.00. I've also got a copy of The Hulk 181 in NM.

In college I managed to score some of the early TMNT stuff - I've no idea if those are worth anything anymore. I spent way too much on independent books after that.

I still love the Golden Age stuff, though I have very little - but in general I enjoy the idea of having something that's seen that many years go by. If I ever get to the point where I feel like I have disposable income, I'll go back to buying key Silver Age and Golden Age books.

In the meantime, my wife will roll her eyes at the stack of 36 boxes of comics up in the attic.

Somewhere along the way I really need to get my older comics and sports cards graded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 06:27 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

My best book would be a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 3 in VF+ condition which I bought for around $125.00. I've also got a copy of The Hulk 181 in NM.

Very nice. The only thing I have that I value is all of Frank Miller's Daredevil (except for the couple of issues he drew on Spectacular Spider-Man).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 06:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:

Very nice. The only thing I have that I value is all of Frank Miller's Daredevil (except for the couple of issues he drew on Spectacular Spider-Man).

Miller was my favorite. I'm the dork who used to go thru the $0.25 racks scouring and get all giddy when I'd find an obscure Miller cover on Captain America or John Carter, Warlord of Mars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 07:42 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

snotball wrote:

Miller was my favorite. I'm the dork who used to go thru the $0.25 racks scouring and get all giddy when I'd find an obscure Miller cover on Captain America or John Carter, Warlord of Mars.

Yeah, he was my favourite too. Now, I try to avoid his work. His latest title All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder was such a piece of crap, I dropped the title in mid story, something I usually don't do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 09:47 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:
snotball wrote:

Yeah, he was my favourite too. Now, I try to avoid his work. His latest title All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder was such a piece of crap, I dropped the title in mid story, something I usually don't do.

Yeah, he slipped for me sometime around Ronin (which I thought was very good, but the "new" Miller overly cross-hatched style to me paled to the old Miller-Janson covers and pages. He pulled off it a bit with Sin City, but I still prefer the more traditional work he did early on, even when he was paired wth a garbage inker instead of Janson.

I've never been a huge fan of his writing, though Sin City and a few others have some pop, and I think he wrote my favorite Daredevil story (the one where DD plays Russian Roulette with an incapacitated Bullseye).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 13:03 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

snotball wrote:
snotball wrote:

Yeah, he slipped for me sometime around Ronin (which I thought was very good, but the "new" Miller overly cross-hatched style to me paled to the old Miller-Janson covers and pages. He pulled off it a bit with Sin City, but I still prefer the more traditional work he did early on, even when he was paired wth a garbage inker instead of Janson.

I've never been a huge fan of his writing, though Sin City and a few others have some pop, and I think he wrote my favorite Daredevil story (the one where DD plays Russian Roulette with an incapacitated Bullseye).

I don't agree. I happened to re-read his entire first run on Daredevil a few years ago, and it was better than a lot of the crap Marvel published at the time. It didn't feel dated, and was still a very good read. I also love his second run on the title, when the kingpin finds out his secret identity, and sets out to destroy him. His Batman Strikes Back and Batman: Year One, are a couple of my favourite books, and in my opinion, the first 2 or 3 Sin City books were good, before he started repeating himself.
One of the problems with Miller's writing, is he sometimes gives a feeling, that he doesn't know how to finish his stories properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 15:37 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

In college I managed to score some of the early TMNT stuff - I've no idea if those are worth anything anymore.

I've got a bunch of those in a box somewhere. I don't have any of the first runs but I've got a lot of the prints that came out after that.

I remember being so excited when the action figures and cartoon were coming out only to be so disappointed at how toned down they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 16:36 

May 3rd is free comic book day at the library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2008, 22:40 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

A² wrote:
May 3rd is free comic book day at the library.

It's free comic book day in every comic book store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 07:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Yay!!!

Was at a comicon this past weekend. Much fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2008, 07:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

NobodysFool wrote:
Yay!!!

Anything on the Watchmen movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 06:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

NobodysFool wrote:
Yay!!!

Try here:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/watch ... hp?id=6887
for pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 09:24 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

NobodysFool wrote:
Yay!!!

Nope. Pittsburgh is smaller con, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 09:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

NobodysFool wrote:
NobodysFool wrote:
Yay!!!

Damn, I was there briefly last weekend...at the ExpoMart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 09:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:
NobodysFool wrote:
NobodysFool wrote:
Yay!!!

Damn, I was there briefly last weekend...at the ExpoMart?

Yes! I was there all weekend.

Darnit.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 10:39 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Gotta revive this thread to let everyone know that there's a new comic series out: Leaves on the Wind.

Preview here.

Malcolm Reynolds’s crew shook the ’verse to its core when they laid bare the crimes against humanity undertaken by their sinister government—the Alliance. Always outlaws, Mal, a very pregnant Zoe, new pilot River Tam, and the other surviving crew members are in greater danger than ever. Meanwhile, everyone is asking the same question . . .

Edition #2 is out Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 in the UK.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 17:55 

Batman wrote:
Gotta revive this thread to let everyone know that there's a new comic series out: Leaves on the Wind.

Preview here.

Malcolm Reynolds’s crew shook the ’verse to its core when they laid bare the crimes against humanity undertaken by their sinister government—the Alliance. Always outlaws, Mal, a very pregnant Zoe, new pilot River Tam, and the other surviving crew members are in greater danger than ever. Meanwhile, everyone is asking the same question . . .

Cool. That's a story worth reviving a 6 year old thread.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 22:59 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

A² wrote:
Batman wrote:

Preview here.

:green: Ordered.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 23:37 

F.N.G. wrote:
A² wrote:
Batman wrote:

Preview here.

:green: Ordered.

The second issue is supposed to be released today. Forbidden Planet, here I come! I don't care if you are forbidden.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 10:43 

By the way, this is old news, but for those die-hard fans of "Firefly" who weren't aware of the other comic offerings out there, there's more on offer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6