General video game discussion

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: General video game discussion

#1051 Post by Ruddy016 » 22 Sep 2009, 10:32

fishn4 wrote:
Gren wrote:Anyone played Batman: Arkham Asylum yet? All the reviews seem incredibly positive.

Played it on 360 past weekend. Graphics are excellent with awesome detail. Gameplay is cool with a lot of sweet moves. All the controls take some getting use to. I would own it, but not at the $60 price point.
I have to admit I didn't buy it but I borrowed it off a friend. It looks great on PS3, the gameplay is challenging and it's definitely one of the better Batman games. The last time I strayed was the new Ghostbusters which was fun but I got bored of it after a week.

Also have to admit that I wouldn't buy it due to the ridiculous amount of time I spend playing COD World at War online. Only one game of interest and that's COD MW 2 in November.
Gunga Na Gunga

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#1052 Post by Ruddy016 » 22 Sep 2009, 10:33

Ruddy016 wrote:
fishn4 wrote:
Gren wrote:Anyone played Batman: Arkham Asylum yet? All the reviews seem incredibly positive.

Played it on 360 past weekend. Graphics are excellent with awesome detail. Gameplay is cool with a lot of sweet moves. All the controls take some getting use to. I would own it, but not at the $60 price point.
I have to admit I didn't buy it but I borrowed it off a friend. It looks great on PS3, the gameplay is challenging and it's definitely one of the better Batman games. The last time I strayed was the new Ghostbusters which was fun but I got bored of it after a week.

Also have to admit that I wouldn't buy it due to the ridiculous amount of time I spend playing COD World at War online. Only one game of interest and that's COD MW 2 in November.
You can also download 'Play as the Joker' maps for free on the UK Playstation network!
Gunga Na Gunga

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1053 Post by snotball » 12 Oct 2009, 05:00

EA is selling some good games from last year for 5 Pounds.
http://eastore.ea.com/store/eaemea/cat/ ... D.14365500
Bad dates

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1054 Post by Middle » 12 Oct 2009, 05:14

snotball wrote:EA is selling some good games from last year for 5 Pounds.
Thank you for that. Just got Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect (as I already own RA3 and Dead Space...).
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#1055 Post by Ruddy016 » 12 Oct 2009, 07:58

Middle wrote:
Thank you for that. Just got Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect (as I already own RA3 and Dead Space...).
Thanks, good bit of info.
Gunga Na Gunga

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#1056 Post by alan smithee » 27 Oct 2009, 00:41

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#1057 Post by » 27 Oct 2009, 00:55

What is that?
The :) means it's all ok.

alan smithee

#1058 Post by alan smithee » 27 Oct 2009, 01:10

A² wrote:What is that?
maps of the dungeons from The Legend of Zelda

enigmafa
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1059 Post by enigmafa » 27 Oct 2009, 14:12

It's a schooner
for shame A2
[250]enigmafa@gmail.com[/250] Image Image Image

#1060 Post by » 27 Oct 2009, 16:19

enigmafa wrote:
It's a schooner
for shame A2
I thought is was a sail boat.

#1061 Post by » 27 Oct 2009, 16:21

I picked up a game called Two Worlds. If you love the Elder Scrolls games you'll likely like this. The tutorial and instructions were virtually worthless but once I figured things out its really grown on me.

fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1062 Post by fishn4 » 27 Oct 2009, 19:42

fishn4 wrote:
In other news, with the new PS3 slim and the Xbox360 Elite both about to be at $299, I am torn as to which to get. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Update on this. I ended up getting the Xbox 360 Elite with Lego Batman and Pure for $299 last weekend. I went back and forth as PS3 just seems to give you more for the money and just seems an overall better built system, but Im not interested in Blu-Ray. Too much investment in dvd format to switch. Built in wireless is nice but I have the Xbox right beside my router so no need. Everyone I talked to seemed to have 360 and went on and on about the online gameplay. Netflix was also nice on 360.

Right now I'm loving Left 4 Dead and Batman Arkham Asylym. As for the included games, havent checked Lego Batman and Pure is fun but kind of lame to have a racing game with no 2 player option.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#1063 Post by JJ » 27 Oct 2009, 20:36

FWIW, Netflix should be on PS3 soon.
La la la la la.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1064 Post by F.N.G. » 28 Oct 2009, 09:20

fishn4 wrote:
fishn4 wrote:
In other news, with the new PS3 slim and the Xbox360 Elite both about to be at $299, I am torn as to which to get. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Update on this. I ended up getting the Xbox 360 Elite with Lego Batman and Pure for $299 last weekend. I went back and forth as PS3 just seems to give you more for the money and just seems an overall better built system, but Im not interested in Blu-Ray. Too much investment in dvd format to switch. Built in wireless is nice but I have the Xbox right beside my router so no need. Everyone I talked to seemed to have 360 and went on and on about the online gameplay. Netflix was also nice on 360.

Right now I'm loving Left 4 Dead and Batman Arkham Asylym. As for the included games, havent checked Lego Batman and Pure is fun but kind of lame to have a racing game with no 2 player option.
If you like RPGs I can't recommend Oblivion or Fallout 3 enough. And of course Guitar Hero (not that that's an RPG of course).
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

#1065 Post by » 28 Oct 2009, 12:55

F.N.G. wrote:
fishn4 wrote:
fishn4 wrote:

If you like RPGs I can't recommend Oblivion or Fallout 3 enough. And of course Guitar Hero (not that that's an RPG of course).
So, if I think Oblivion is one of the best video (games) of all time then I should give Fallout 3 a spin?

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#1066 Post by snotball » 29 Oct 2009, 11:51

Different games, same price.
Bad dates

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1067 Post by F.N.G. » 29 Oct 2009, 13:57

A² wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
fishn4 wrote:
fishn4 wrote:

So, if I think Oblivion is one of the best video (games) of all time then I should give Fallout 3 a spin?
Absolutely! It's Oblivion with guns! It's not quite as big, not as many sub-missions or guilds etc, but still a good way to kill 35 odd hours of your life. If you get the GOTY edition you will get 5 expansions as well.
Others: Mass Effect -not as good as either, but kills a lot of time, and nice story; Lost Odyssey, although JPRG takes a bit of getting used to post-Oblivion; Fable 2 is good fun too.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#1068 Post by Agrajag » 29 Oct 2009, 14:33

Stupid question re: PS3 Slim.

Asking for it for Christmas, and my parents are telling me that nowhere they've gone (e.g. Walmart) advertises a "slim" model. Are all new PS3s slim? Or are there two kinds out there regular and slim?

Also, what is the point of the hard drive for someone who doesn't do a lot of gaming? I doubt I'll find time to play a bunch of games that will require any extra storage, so the 120GB would be fine for me to use mostly as a BluRay player, right?
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#1069 Post by Batman » 30 Oct 2009, 01:09

Agrajag wrote:Stupid question re: PS3 Slim.

Asking for it for Christmas, and my parents are telling me that nowhere they've gone (e.g. Walmart) advertises a "slim" model. Are all new PS3s slim? Or are there two kinds out there regular and slim?
I'm not sure, but I think there's also one out there with "wings".
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

alan smithee

#1070 Post by alan smithee » 30 Oct 2009, 01:24

Batman wrote:

wd

Batman

#1071 Post by Batman » 30 Oct 2009, 03:35

alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:

wd
ty
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#1072 Post by knarf » 30 Oct 2009, 06:27

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:

wd
ty
np

fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1073 Post by fishn4 » 30 Oct 2009, 07:11

Also, what is the point of the hard drive for someone who doesn't do a lot of gaming? I doubt I'll find time to play a bunch of games that will require any extra storage, so the 120GB would be fine for me to use mostly as a BluRay player, right?
Far as I know, Slims will be the only thing produced from this point. There are still some of the bulkier models on shelves but no new ones arriving. The 120GB should be fine.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#1074 Post by Ruddy016 » 30 Oct 2009, 11:11

fishn4 wrote:

Far as I know, Slims will be the only thing produced from this point. There are still some of the bulkier models on shelves but no new ones arriving. The 120GB should be fine.
Yep, it's only Slims on sale in Europe and USA. Good choice, make sure you get COD Modern Warfare 2. Going to be HUGE!
Gunga Na Gunga

#1075 Post by » 01 Nov 2009, 11:37

F.N.G. wrote:
A² wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
fishn4 wrote:
fishn4 wrote:

Absolutely! It's Oblivion with guns! It's not quite as big, not as many sub-missions or guilds etc, but still a good way to kill 35 odd hours of your life. If you get the GOTY edition you will get 5 expansions as well.
Others: Mass Effect -not as good as either, but kills a lot of time, and nice story; Lost Odyssey, although JPRG takes a bit of getting used to post-Oblivion; Fable 2 is good fun too.
Cool, I'll pick up Fallout 3 for my next game once I'm done with Two Worlds. I really liked Fable 2, but its not in the same class as Oblivion