General video game discussion

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Message
Author
User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35060
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

#76 Post by » 07 Jul 2004, 12:39

alan smithee wrote:
A2 wrote:I've been playing a lot of Halo lately to get geared up for part 2.

I have played very little since they delayed the (unofficial) release yet again to November (9th) :-?


I can't deny that it's incredibly frustrating, but in a way I guess I'm glad. I would rather have it take 2 years longer than it originally should have than have it forced out and be full of bugs and glitches.

Now, if it takes this long and is still full of bugs and glitches then I'm going to be a wee bit upset.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 38919
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#77 Post by alan smithee » 07 Jul 2004, 12:44

A2 wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
A2 wrote:I've been playing a lot of Halo lately to get geared up for part 2.

I have played very little since they delayed the (unofficial) release yet again to November (9th) :-?


I can't deny that it's incredibly frustrating, but in a way I guess I'm glad. I would rather have it take 2 years longer than it originally should have than have it forced out and be full of bugs and glitches.

true

A2 wrote:Now, if it takes this long and is still full of bugs and glitches then I'm going to be a wee bit upset.

Welcome to the world of pessimism. Smoking or non? :-?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#78 Post by Gren » 07 Jul 2004, 12:55

A2 - I remember you asking for a review of Transformers. Well the answer is it's not very good. The transforming from robot to vehicle is cool. As are some of the minibots you can pick up (nothing to do with the cartoon, a new idea for the game). But the gameplay is just too repetitive. You're just trying to find your way through the level and shooting the very similar baddies all the time. I got bored of it very quickly and spent more time playing True Crime: Streets of LA.

Speaking of True Crime, that's a good game. Though it doesn't have the openendedness of GTA it does have plenty of free choice. And the angle of being a good cop or bad cop is interesting. I've completed the 2 bad cop endings and am nearing the end of the good cop completion. If I could just beat this dragon (no i'm not kidding) i'd be happy.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#79 Post by London Redsox » 08 Jul 2004, 01:12

Gren wrote:If I could just beat this dragon (no i'm not kidding) i'd be happy.


bossbossbossbossbossbossbossbossbossboss!!

:D (Thanks ze)
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35060
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

#80 Post by » 08 Jul 2004, 06:15

Gren wrote:A2 - I remember you asking for a review of Transformers. Well the answer is it's not very good. The transforming from robot to vehicle is cool. As are some of the minibots you can pick up (nothing to do with the cartoon, a new idea for the game). But the gameplay is just too repetitive. You're just trying to find your way through the level and shooting the very similar baddies all the time. I got bored of it very quickly and spent more time playing True Crime: Streets of LA.


That's disappointing, but unfortunately it's similar to other reviews I've read. They had a goldmine of possibilities with the Transformers and it sounds like they really blew it.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who make games ever actually play them.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6690
Joined: 20 Dec 2002, 02:36
Gender: Male
Location: Back
Contact:

#81 Post by Coco » 08 Jul 2004, 06:24

It's really sad, I've chalked up over 50hours on Pokemon Colleseum. It's not like you even have much to do other than battle, but I'm completely hooked.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#82 Post by London Redsox » 08 Jul 2004, 07:29

I traded-in a couple of games today and got the following:

Burnout 2
Red Faction

I played Burnout 2 once and thought the 'crash for money' bits were great. I also remember a friend telling me that Red Faction was superb. Anyone with any thoughts...

(Wanted Driver 3, but had nowhere near enough trade-in value.)
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6690
Joined: 20 Dec 2002, 02:36
Gender: Male
Location: Back
Contact:

#83 Post by Coco » 08 Jul 2004, 07:31

Burnout 2 is an excellent arcade driving game. Immensely fast and loads of fun. The crash for money section is very addictive, but I wouldn't advise driving for real for about 3 hours after you play the game.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#84 Post by London Redsox » 08 Jul 2004, 07:33

Coco wrote:Burnout 2 is an excellent arcade driving game. Immensely fast and loads of fun. The crash for money section is very addictive, but I wouldn't advise driving for real for about 3 hours after you play the game.


:lol: Thanks

I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35060
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

#85 Post by » 08 Jul 2004, 07:40

Ha! I was afraid I was the only one. Anytime I have been playing racing games (or even Simpson's Hit and Run) and I try to get into my car and drive I have to really concentrate not to smash into stuff or take corners way too quick.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#86 Post by Gren » 08 Jul 2004, 08:31

London Redsox wrote:I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:

:green: I sold the game after giving up on the last stunt. I couldn't land on the other side of the river after jumping the plane if I played till my fingers bled.

On a side note what games were you trading in? If the games are anything like modern or rare you'll get much better value for them trying to sell through Amazon Marketplace.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Ze
Meh
Meh
Posts: 11696
Joined: 30 Dec 2002, 06:50
Gender: Male

#87 Post by Ze » 08 Jul 2004, 14:12

Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:

:green: I sold the game after giving up on the last stunt. I couldn't land on the other side of the river after jumping the plane if I played till my fingers bled.


I gave up after the snow scenario :roll:
...

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#88 Post by Gren » 08 Jul 2004, 14:56

ze424 wrote:
Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:

:green: I sold the game after giving up on the last stunt. I couldn't land on the other side of the river after jumping the plane if I played till my fingers bled.


I gave up after the snow scenario :roll:

That bit was easy :roll: :wink:
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#89 Post by London Redsox » 09 Jul 2004, 00:59

Gren wrote:
ze424 wrote:
Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:

:green: I sold the game after giving up on the last stunt. I couldn't land on the other side of the river after jumping the plane if I played till my fingers bled.


I gave up after the snow scenario :roll:

That bit was easy :roll: :wink:


I've landed on the other side a bunch of times, but usually with not enough time to make the checkpoint as well. I've managed it twice. Once I got to the end of the next bit but didn't realise you had to drive up a flight of steps, and the other time I got up the steps, but the road up top is so narrow, and the car so twitchy, that an explosion pushed me off the side. :balrog:

Stuntman remains one of my fave PS2 games. I like the fact that the stages of each stunt mean that you get to see a little bit more each time and are forced to go on, thinking "I can do that".

Gren wrote:played till my fingers bled


Was it the Summer of '69?? :tongue:

Oh yeah, I traded in Sonic Heroes (awful) and Worms 3D (came free with Sonic Heroes - but they didn't know that). No time to play Red Faction yet, but Burnout 2 was excellent
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

Ze
Meh
Meh
Posts: 11696
Joined: 30 Dec 2002, 06:50
Gender: Male

#90 Post by Ze » 09 Jul 2004, 01:36

Gren wrote:
ze424 wrote:
Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:I'm the same way with 'Stuntman'. I get behind the wheel and hear things like "Hit the Boxes" and "Overtake and jump the School Bus"

(Why oh why can't I complete the last stunt...) :balrog:

:green: I sold the game after giving up on the last stunt. I couldn't land on the other side of the river after jumping the plane if I played till my fingers bled.


I gave up after the snow scenario :roll:

That bit was easy :roll: :wink:


Yeah, with a bit of perseverence I passed it last night. Now I'm in Egipt.

London Redsox wrote:Burnout 2 was excellent


When it came out, Burnout also seemed excellent to me, so I bought it. I was disappointed. Then Burnout 2 came out and I though "Hmm, this looks better than the first one", but I didn't risk buying it. Anyone played both? Is it better than the first?
...

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#91 Post by London Redsox » 09 Jul 2004, 01:40

ze424 wrote:Yeah, with a bit of perseverence I passed it last night. Now I'm in Egipt.


Those Indiana Jones stunts are way cool. The motorcycle and sidecar one is great. Armoured car and then tank is a little harder.
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#92 Post by Gren » 09 Jul 2004, 05:55

London Redsox wrote:Oh yeah, I traded in Sonic Heroes (awful) and Worms 3D (came free with Sonic Heroes - but they didn't know that). No time to play Red Faction yet, but Burnout 2 was excellent

What was the trade-in value for Sonic Heroes. I sold it through Amazon Marketplace for £22, which after their commision got me £18.39.

London Redsox wrote:
ze424 wrote:Yeah, with a bit of perseverence I passed it last night. Now I'm in Egypt.


Those Indiana Jones stunts are way cool. The motorcycle and sidecar one is great. Armoured car and then tank is a little harder.

I'll say one thing, tight narrow corner+ramp jump over tank= :balrog:
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#93 Post by London Redsox » 09 Jul 2004, 06:32

Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:Oh yeah, I traded in Sonic Heroes (awful) and Worms 3D (came free with Sonic Heroes - but they didn't know that). No time to play Red Faction yet, but Burnout 2 was excellent

What was the trade-in value for Sonic Heroes. I sold it through Amazon Marketplace for £22, which after their commision got me £18.39.


I got £15 for it, which wasn't too bad (esp. as I got it by trading in a load of other games...) For the price of being able to choose a game to replace it straight away, and not have to have the hassle of posting anything to anyone, I'll take a shortfall of £3...

Gren wrote:I'll say one thing, tight narrow corner+ramp jump over tank= :balrog:


:lol: Just don't bloody talk to me about that 'Monaco' stunt in the little European hatchback :balrog: :balrog:
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#94 Post by Gren » 09 Jul 2004, 11:18

London Redsox wrote:
Gren wrote:
London Redsox wrote:Oh yeah, I traded in Sonic Heroes (awful) and Worms 3D (came free with Sonic Heroes - but they didn't know that). No time to play Red Faction yet, but Burnout 2 was excellent

What was the trade-in value for Sonic Heroes. I sold it through Amazon Marketplace for £22, which after their commision got me £18.39.

I got £15 for it, which wasn't too bad (esp. as I got it by trading in a load of other games...) For the price of being able to choose a game to replace it straight away, and not have to have the hassle of posting anything to anyone, I'll take a shortfall of £3...

Hmm interesting. Maybe I should see what they'll give me for Transformers in the same store where they messed up and gave it me for free :D I'd definitely rather have Driver 3 (or Stuntman for that matter :roll: )

London Redsox wrote:
Gren wrote:I'll say one thing, tight narrow corner+ramp jump over tank= :balrog:


:lol: Just don't bloody talk to me about that 'Monaco' stunt in the little European hatchback :balrog: :balrog:

And everybody looks at us like we're strange :lol:
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#95 Post by Gren » 10 Jul 2004, 05:35

Well I listed Transformers on Amazon yesterday to see if there was any interest at £21, probably less than it's worth but more use to me than a game i'm not gonna play. And today I already have a buyer, £18.21 on it's way to me.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

AngryPenguin
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 354
Joined: 30 Mar 2004, 09:32
Gender: Male
Location: dc

#96 Post by AngryPenguin » 14 Jul 2004, 10:04

Not a bad sell at all, are you going to pick up driver 3 with that money? I've been playing a lot of driver 3 recently, taking a break from psi ops. The graphics are really cool, was nice to get back in control of Tanner. I heard there is a driver movie coming out too.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#97 Post by Gren » 20 Jul 2004, 06:20

I've just made my first listings on Ebay. All really old games that are worth very little but i'd like to give it a try for the experience before selling anything of any decent value.

PES 2
Onimusha 2
007: Nightfire
Prisoner of War

Are the games if anyone's interested. Offers invited over £1. :D
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#98 Post by London Redsox » 20 Jul 2004, 06:34

Gren wrote:I've just made my first listings on Ebay. All really old games that are worth very little but i'd like to give it a try for the experience before selling anything of any decent value.

PES 2
Onimusha 2
007: Nightfire
Prisoner of War

Are the games if anyone's interested. Offers invited over £1. :D


How is that PoW game, I always fancied trying it out, but never took the plunge...how does it compare to say, MoH or Tomb Raider...
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

Greg the Guileful
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3040
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 05:21
Gender: Male

#99 Post by Greg the Guileful » 20 Jul 2004, 06:36

even though gta: san andreas isn't coming out until october, i keep checking all the sites for new info...

this is a site that has tons of info on it...i'm not reading any of the storyline or missions because i don't want to ruin it before i get it, but check out the screens at the bottom...

http://fivestar.thegfcc.com/list.htm

besides the three enormous cities...mountains, forrests, log cabins, farms...

this game is going to be insane...

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#100 Post by Gren » 20 Jul 2004, 07:10

London Redsox wrote:
Gren wrote:I've just made my first listings on Ebay. All really old games that are worth very little but i'd like to give it a try for the experience before selling anything of any decent value.

PES 2
Onimusha 2
007: Nightfire
Prisoner of War

Are the games if anyone's interested. Offers invited over £1. :D


How is that PoW game, I always fancied trying it out, but never took the plunge...how does it compare to say, MoH or Tomb Raider...

Hmmm, it's great (if you're looking to buy it :) ). Actually it tends to get a bit boring. It's played in 'real time' so you have to keep advancing time so you can try the next thing you need to do. I quite enjoyed the first few levels but after that I kept getting caught all the time and lost patience with it. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing it's not as good as Medal of Honour or Tomb Raider: AoD (though i've played neither).

In other news I think i'm gonna try and buy Stuntman back. It seems to be going pretty cheap at the minute and all the talk about before made me wanna play it again.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Post Reply