The Official Filmwise Sports Thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Nukya Woozy
Producer
Producer

#226 Post by Nukya Woozy » 28 Oct 2004, 04:15

Cool, Red Sox finally win! I must wonder if more people died of a heart attack today then a regular day? Congratulations sox way to go!!

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#227 Post by Steel Frog » 28 Oct 2004, 08:01

Congratulations Sox fans one and all. Lord knows you've waited a long time for this and ought to relish every moment. Enjoy!

My lone complaint is that the networks keep showing ecstatic bar-hopping collegians. Get outta here, you no-perspective clowns. I don't want to see that. Go get Kerry elected or something. Look, I don't doubt your commitment or enthusiasm, but the face of this celebration has to be older. I don't even want to see people my age, who "only" have distinct memories of Carlton Fisk, Bucky Dent and Bill Buckner. No, minimum age on this parade should be people saddened by the 1967 Series; but -better yet- I want to see the prematurely-aged, hardened veteran look of those who can remember the Mickey Mantle Yankees or the Joe DiMaggio Yankees or the 1946 Enos Slaughter show. Ideally, I wish to see the teary-eyed glassy deer-in-the-headlights looks of disbelief from those who actually saw the Babe in person and can remember a time when the Red Sox held more titles than the Yankees. Please show me that Pepperidge Farm New England octogenarian in stunned silence for the waiting of several generations to see this moment...the old man who can now "die happy", or the wizened, craggy beardless Gandalf who -on the verge of death- is half-suicidal for his World now changed, while better, no longer makes any sense.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#228 Post by London Redsox » 28 Oct 2004, 08:10

Steel Frog wrote:Congratulations Sox fans one and all. Lord knows you've waited a long time for this and ought to relish every moment. Enjoy!

My lone complaint is that the networks keep showing ecstatic bar-hopping collegians. Get outta here, you no-perspective clowns. I don't want to see that. Go get Kerry elected or something. Look, I don't doubt your commitment or enthusiasm, but the face of this celebration has to be older. I don't even want to see people my age, who "only" have distinct memories of Carlton Fisk, Bucky Dent and Bill Buckner. No, minimum age on this parade should be people saddened by the 1967 Series; but -better yet- I want to see the prematurely-aged, hardened veteran look of those who can remember the Mickey Mantle Yankees or the Joe DiMaggio Yankees or the 1946 Enos Slaughter show. Ideally, I wish to see the teary-eyed glassy deer-in-the-headlights looks of disbelief from those who actually saw the Babe in person and can remember a time when the Red Sox held more titles than the Yankees. Please show me that Pepperidge Farm New England octogenarian in stunned silence for the waiting of several generations to see this moment...the old man who can now "die happy", or the wizened, craggy beardless Gandalf who -on the verge of death- is half-suicidal for his World now changed, while better, no longer makes any sense.
I wholeheartedly agree here...these young'uns don't know they're born... :D
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#229 Post by McT » 28 Oct 2004, 08:23

Steel Frog wrote:Congratulations Sox fans one and all.
Thanks, we appreciate it.

I agree that the old fans should be the face of this. Of course, they aren't out in public as much. The local (Boston) news had one of their reporters at Bob Stanley's house. It was more interesting than more shots from bars.

In about the sixth inning, one of the announcers metioned how many fans would be thinking of relatives that had been Sox fans all their lives and didn't live to see them win. I thought it was a great comment, and made me think of my father-in-law who passed away 4 years ago. God would he have been happy (or is happy if you believe in that sort of thing).
Squirrel!

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#230 Post by London Redsox » 28 Oct 2004, 08:30

McT wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Congratulations Sox fans one and all.
Thanks, we appreciate it.

I agree that the old fans should be the face of this. Of course, they aren't out in public as much. The local (Boston) news had one of their reporters at Bob Stanley's house. It was more interesting than more shots from bars.

In about the sixth inning, one of the announcers metioned how many fans would be thinking of relatives that had been Sox fans all their lives and didn't live to see them win. I thought it was a great comment, and made me think of my father-in-law who passed away 4 years ago. God would he have been happy (or is happy if you believe in that sort of thing).
Yes, we do...

McT: If you haven't already, read this baby from the Sons of Sam Horn website. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll cry again.

Started on the night of ALCS Gm 7, it's an uplifting read, but a bit mawkish.

A Nation united in passion and belief.
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#231 Post by McT » 28 Oct 2004, 08:48

Thanks LRS. I only got through the first few pages, but it really shows what it means to some people.

I am glad I let my boys (4 & 6) stay up to watch the first inning. They may not remember it later, but they can say they saw the winning run.
Squirrel!

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#232 Post by Nunis » 28 Oct 2004, 10:11

Congrats Sox fans!

Does this mean Buffy has to change his name now to Buffoon2004?

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#233 Post by bing » 28 Oct 2004, 10:16

The New York Daily News had the best bitter headline I've seen:
SEE YOU IN 2090

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#234 Post by McT » 28 Oct 2004, 10:33

bing wrote:The New York Daily News had the best bitter headline I've seen:
SEE YOU IN 2090
At least they got the math right. :roll:
Squirrel!

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#235 Post by Will » 28 Oct 2004, 21:49

So can you guys finally forgive Buckner now?
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

Nukya Woozy
Producer
Producer

#236 Post by Nukya Woozy » 29 Oct 2004, 04:41

On ESPN.com http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3118274

Buckner to Red Sox fans, don't forgive me.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#237 Post by Odd Todd » 01 Nov 2004, 11:50

HELP FROM JACK

So how did the Boston Red Sox really beat the New York Yankees?

According to first baseman Kevin Millar, the team had an ally named Jack Daniel.

On Friday's edition of Fox's Best Damn Sports Show Period, Millar noted it was about 35 degrees at Yankee Stadium before Game 6.

"I got a thing of Jack Daniel's and we all did shots for about 10 minutes before the game. And we won," Millar recalled.

"So Game 7 came and we had to do shots of Jack Daniel's. And we won the game."

Millar said he was thankful the Red Sox won the World Series in four games "because the Jack Daniel's shots were starting to kill me."
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#238 Post by Philip » 20 Nov 2004, 17:36

Will, you didn't happen to go to the Pistons/Pacers game on Friday night, did you?

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#239 Post by Steel Frog » 20 Nov 2004, 19:11

World's oldest man dies
20/11/2004 19:33 - (SA)

New York - Fred Hale, recognised as the world's oldest man, has died in Syracuse, New York, just days shy of his 114th birthday.

Hale died in his sleep on Friday following a bout of pneumonia, his 51-year-old grandson, also named Fred, told the Syracuse Post-Standard.

A fan of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, Hale had special cause for celebration last month, when the Red Sox won the World Series for the first time since 1918...

As a friend of mine put it: get your coffins ready, New England; they can all die happy now.

P.S. was that Pacer/Piston thing really a red state/blue state melee in disguise?

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#240 Post by Will » 21 Nov 2004, 05:35

Buffoon1918 wrote:Will, you didn't happen to go to the Pistons/Pacers game on Friday night, did you?
Yeah, I was the guy in the baseball cap trying to hold back Artest. You know me, always trying to keep the peace. This sucks so bad that it happened at here. I've been to a lot of games, all 4 sports, and by far the best crowds have always been at Pistons games. Most knowledgeable about the sport, friendly and generally well behaved. It's a shame that a few idiots can give that crowd such a lasting bad image.If it had happened at a Lions game, I wouldn't have been surprised (especially when they used to play at the Silverdome, not so much now that they are back in the city). Tigers game, sure I've seen fights there. Red Wings games, those fans aren't that bad, but that's mostly because you got a lot of hot chicks there, it's kind of the place to be seen around town. But at a Pistons game, I'm surprised. I'm just glad that no Pistons players threw any punches.

By the way, the worst crowds around here, are at any University of Michigan function. You put 110,000 fanatical liberals together and they turn into an elitist mob, it's sick how they act at those games.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

Philip

#241 Post by Philip » 21 Nov 2004, 17:58

Suspensions have been dished out. The key ones for Indiana are: Artest for the entire season (he did want some time-off to promote his rap album), Stephen Jackson for 30 games, and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. The big one for Detroit was Ben Wallace who'll be forced to sit out six games.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#242 Post by bing » 21 Nov 2004, 19:02

Buffoon1918 wrote:Suspensions have been dished out. The key ones for Indiana are: Artest for the entire season (he did want some time-off to promote his rap album), Stephen Jackson for 30 games, and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. The big one for Detroit was Ben Wallace who'll be forced to sit out six games.
Sucks for Indiana. They probably could have gathered the team together for just as good a run in the playoffs with all the suspensions, but losing Artest is huge. He's long since taken over the main role in Indiana's offense and is key to their defense. I guess it's between Detroit and Miami in the east now. At least Cleveland and Orlando will make things interesting.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#243 Post by bing » 22 Nov 2004, 09:53

Gren was looking for the video. ESPN has a decent quality clip, though it's not the whole thing:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/mot ... os=1928607

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#244 Post by London Redsox » 22 Nov 2004, 09:56

bing wrote:Gren was looking for the video. ESPN has a decent quality clip, though it's not the whole thing:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/mot ... os=1928607
I've been trying to watch ESPN Motion all day, but my computer is acting up...will try again tomorrow. Can't find it anywhere else, either

alan smithee

#245 Post by alan smithee » 22 Nov 2004, 11:30

And what kind of jail time for assault and battery can these players expect? :roll:
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#246 Post by bing » 22 Nov 2004, 11:45

alan smithee wrote:And what kind of jail time for assault and battery can these players expect? :roll:
I'm not sure they'd be held liable for criminal charges or civil damages. The spectators involved were hitting back, so they knew what they were getting into. I guess you could make a case for the first guy hit, I guess you could make a case for him, but if he was the guy who threw the beer, he's not entirely innocent in the matter.

I'd say charges for the spectators who just jumped in for no reason (punching the players in the back of their heads, e.g.) are much more likely to be charged.

alan smithee

#247 Post by alan smithee » 22 Nov 2004, 11:51

bing wrote:
alan smithee wrote:And what kind of jail time for assault and battery can these players expect? :roll:
I'm not sure they'd be held liable for criminal charges or civil damages. The spectators involved were hitting back, so they knew what they were getting into. I guess you could make a case for the first guy hit, I guess you could make a case for him, but if he was the guy who threw the beer, he's not entirely innocent in the matter.

I'd say charges for the spectators who just jumped in for no reason (punching the players in the back of their heads, e.g.) are much more likely to be charged.
Shouldn't everybody be charged? Or can I kill someone who hits me?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#248 Post by Steel Frog » 22 Nov 2004, 12:06

alan smithee wrote:
bing wrote:

Shouldn't everybody be charged? Or can I kill someone who hits me?
:mishchief: Suddenly envisioning the scenario by which the Golden State Warriors make the playoffs. :mishchief:

Philip

#249 Post by Philip » 22 Nov 2004, 12:31

According to Hoops Hype, Detroit police are investigating allegations that Jermaine O'Neal hit a police officer during the brawl.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#250 Post by knarf » 22 Nov 2004, 15:11

The Washington Nationals? That's pretty lame.