Song lyrics - misunderstood, etc.

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Song lyrics - misunderstood, etc.

#1 Post by JJ » 22 Aug 2005, 14:04

Unfortunately, I'm listening to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love right now. For some reason, I've always heard "I will be there to fight for your honor" as him singing to a judge.

I know there are better examples of this sort of thing out there; I just can't remember 'em at the moment. Help.
Last edited by JJ on 04 Dec 2006, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
La la la la la.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13709
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#2 Post by Odd Todd » 22 Aug 2005, 14:22

This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic... but I didn't want you to be the only asshole with a post here... :lol:

So I was listening to the radio today and that BeeGees song You Should Be Dancing came on... and I laughed cuz I thought it would be funny if someone misheard the line "What you doin'on your back A-ah?" as "Do ya do it in the butt? A-ah"

Um... this may only have been funny in my head. :?
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#3 Post by JJ » 22 Aug 2005, 14:26

Not at all. One of my friends always heard one of the lyrics of Sheryl Crow's "Strong Enough" (to be My Man) as 'Will you be man enough to man my can?'

(You can throw in your own Match Game lyrics to what he thought "Strong Enough to BLANK my Can" might be...)
La la la la la.

Gretchen Ross
Director
Director
Posts: 875
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 22:41
Gender: Male
Location: Houston, ain't I lucky?
Contact:

#4 Post by Gretchen Ross » 22 Aug 2005, 18:29

Two words. Afternoon Delight.
I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but it's definitely related.
"I'm sorry."

User avatar
Mr.StayPuft
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Jun 2005, 06:54

#5 Post by Mr.StayPuft » 22 Aug 2005, 18:35

i've always heard Beck's "got two turn-tables and a microphone" as "gotta two-ton midget and a microphone"

and then of course there's STP's "take time with a wounded ham"

User avatar
Eric Draven
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8226
Joined: 09 Jul 2003, 09:58
Gender: Male
Location: Boston
Contact:

#6 Post by Eric Draven » 22 Aug 2005, 19:55

Mr.StayPuft wrote:i've always heard Beck's "got two turn-tables and a microphone" as "gotta two-ton midget and a microphone"

and then of course there's STP's "take time with a wounded ham"


Or such hits as Michael Bolton performing "When a man loves a walnut", or Jimi Hendrix doing Purple Haze, singing "'scuse me while I kiss this guy"
Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 38894
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#7 Post by alan smithee » 23 Aug 2005, 02:02

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

Re: Song lyrics with alternate meanings

#8 Post by Punisher » 23 Aug 2005, 02:16

JJ wrote:Unfortunately, I'm listening to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love right now. For some reason, I've always heard "I will be there to fight for your honor" as him singing to a judge.

I always thought he sang 'I am the man who will fight for your honour'. Whatever.

While we're on the subject, to this day when Melissa Etheridge sings 'I wanna come over, to hell with the consequence', I hear 'I wanna come over, to help with the concert plans'. I just thought she was a very obliging friend.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5006
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 08:45
Gender: Male
Location: Betting on the 3:30

#9 Post by London Redsox » 23 Aug 2005, 02:58

Oleta Adams - "Get Here":

Cross the desert like an avalanche [Arab Man]...

:roll:

Wonder where the thread we had on this before has gone.......
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#10 Post by Punisher » 23 Aug 2005, 03:05

London Redsox wrote:Oleta Adams - "Get Here":

Cross the desert like an avalanche [Arab Man]...

:roll:

Wonder where the thread we had on this before has gone.......

JJ had it with fava beans and a nice chianti.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#11 Post by Punisher » 23 Aug 2005, 03:34

Nunis wrote:The top one that I keep hearing over and over, are people mistaking the "fucking lie" bit in Big Yellow Taxi. What's worse, no one believes me when I tell them there's no damn parking lot.

Also, in high school, I had a friend who kept singing "ain't nothing but a party" instead of "ain't nothing but a heartache" in that Backstreet Boys song I don't know the name of.

I Want it That Way. Which is also kinda appropriate for this thread subject. I'm going to lay my head down and cry that I knew the name of a Backstreet Boys song.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#12 Post by Nunis » 23 Aug 2005, 03:38

Hey, what happened to my post? Thanks for quoting it.

Oh, and I re-read it and realised that re the Big Yellow Taxi thing, I wrote that backwards. Sorry and stuff. I know there's no "fucking lie". :roll:

I can't even get my mistakes right this morning.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Re: Song lyrics with alternate meanings

#13 Post by JJ » 23 Aug 2005, 04:40

Punisher wrote:
JJ wrote:Unfortunately, I'm listening to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love right now. For some reason, I've always heard "I will be there to fight for your honor" as him singing to a judge.

I always thought he sang 'I am the man who will fight for your honour'. Whatever.

I'll be the hero you're dreaming of.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

Re: Song lyrics with alternate meanings

#14 Post by Punisher » 23 Aug 2005, 04:46

JJ wrote:
Punisher wrote:
JJ wrote:Unfortunately, I'm listening to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love right now. For some reason, I've always heard "I will be there to fight for your honor" as him singing to a judge.

I always thought he sang 'I am the man who will fight for your honour'. Whatever.

I'll be the hero you're dreaming of.

Are you sure you want the job? My dream hero gets up to some pretty crazy shit.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Posts: 14471
Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Gender: Male
Location: Stuck in a sand trap

#15 Post by McT » 23 Aug 2005, 05:22

Shouldn't the title of this thread be something along the lines of Misheard Lyrics? They aren't really alternative meanings.

And Gretchen, I don't think it is an alternative meaning; that is exactly what Afternoon Delight is about.
Squirrel!

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13709
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

Re: Song lyrics with alternate meanings

#16 Post by Odd Todd » 23 Aug 2005, 08:57

Punisher wrote:
JJ wrote:Unfortunately, I'm listening to Peter Cetera's Glory of Love right now. For some reason, I've always heard "I will be there to fight for your honor" as him singing to a judge.

I always thought he sang 'I am the man who will fight for your honour'. Whatever.

While we're on the subject, to this day when Melissa Etheridge sings 'I wanna come over, to hell with the consequence', I hear 'I wanna come over, to help with the concert plans'. I just thought she was a very obliging friend.

I always heard consequence as constant threats. :lol:
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#17 Post by Steel Frog » 23 Aug 2005, 09:13

Punisher wrote:
Nunis wrote:The top one that I keep hearing over and over, are people mistaking the "fucking lie" bit in Big Yellow Taxi. What's worse, no one believes me when I tell them there's no damn parking lot.

Also, in high school, I had a friend who kept singing "ain't nothing but a party" instead of "ain't nothing but a heartache" in that Backstreet Boys song I don't know the name of.

I Want it That Way. Which is also kinda appropriate for this thread subject. I'm going to lay my head down and cry that I knew the name of a Backstreet Boys song.

"eBay"

Yeah
A used ... pink bathrobe
A rare ... mint snowglobe
A Smurf ... TV tray
I bought on eBay

My house ... is filled with this crap
Shows up in bubble wrap
Most every day
What I bought on eBay

Tell me why (I need another pet rock)
Tell me why (I got that Alf alarm clock)
Tell me why (I bid on Shatner's old toupee)
They had it on eBay

I'll buy ... your knick-knack
Just check ... my feedback
"A++!" they all say
They love me on eBay

Gonna buy (a slightly-damaged golf bag)
Gonna buy (some Beanie Babies, new with tag)
(From some guy) I've never met in Norway
Found him on eBay

I am the type who is liable to snipe you
With two seconds left to go, whoa
Got Paypal or Visa, what erev'll please
As long as I've got the dough

I'll buy ... your tchotchkes
Sell me ... your watch, please
I'll buy (I'll buy, I'll buy, I'll buy ...)
I'm highest bidder now

(Junk keeps arriving in the mail)
(From that worldwide garage sale) (Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
(Hey! A Dukes Of Hazard ashtray)
Oh yeah ... (I bought it on eBay)

Wanna buy (a PacMan Fever lunchbox)
Wanna buy (a case on vintage tube socks)
Wanna buy (a Kleenex used by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre)
(Found it on eBay)

Wanna buy (that Farrah Fawcet poster)
(Pez dispensers and a toaster)
(Don't know why ... the kind of stuff you'd throw away)
(I'll buy on eBay)

What I bought on eBay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#18 Post by JJ » 23 Aug 2005, 09:14

McT wrote:Shouldn't the title of this thread be something along the lines of Misheard Lyrics? They aren't really alternative meanings.

And Gretchen, I don't think it is an alternative meaning; that is exactly what Afternoon Delight is about.


I meant the thread to be alternative meanings. But people have changed it to Misheard Lyrics. Which seems like a better use of this space.
La la la la la.

User avatar
fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2620
Joined: 27 Nov 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

#19 Post by fishn4 » 23 Aug 2005, 09:15

http://www.kissthisguy.com

Some are hilarious. Some seem made up. :roll:

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50305
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

#20 Post by knarf » 23 Aug 2005, 09:16

JJ wrote:
McT wrote:Shouldn't the title of this thread be something along the lines of Misheard Lyrics? They aren't really alternative meanings.

And Gretchen, I don't think it is an alternative meaning; that is exactly what Afternoon Delight is about.


I meant the thread to be alternative meanings. But people have changed it to Misheard Lyrics. Which seems like a better use of this space.

Which concerns you... how?
"Hold on to your butts."

Image

User avatar
Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2691
Joined: 13 Jun 2004, 18:50
Gender: Male
Location: nowhere special

#21 Post by Caulfield » 23 Aug 2005, 09:20

A couple of my friends used to be in a band. They did a really fun version of "Guantanamera," but you could always hear a bunch of people singing along, "One ton tomato."
Image

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#22 Post by Steel Frog » 23 Aug 2005, 09:22

Back on topic:

"Morning Glow is long past due" makes me think (s)he needs to be evicted.

Don't ask me why I know lyrics to the musical Pippin and I won't ask you why you're listening to Peter Cetera.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13709
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#23 Post by Odd Todd » 23 Aug 2005, 09:35

Caulfield wrote:A couple of my friends used to be in a band. They did a really fun version of "Guantanamera," but you could always hear a bunch of people singing along, "One ton tomato."

One ton of mayo.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2691
Joined: 13 Jun 2004, 18:50
Gender: Male
Location: nowhere special

#24 Post by Caulfield » 23 Aug 2005, 09:38

Odd Todd wrote:
Caulfield wrote:A couple of my friends used to be in a band. They did a really fun version of "Guantanamera," but you could always hear a bunch of people singing along, "One ton tomato."

One ton of mayo.

Add a little lettuce and you've got a lovely sandwich there, if a bit on the large side.
Image

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#25 Post by JJ » 23 Aug 2005, 10:13

knarf wrote:
JJ wrote:
McT wrote:Shouldn't the title of this thread be something along the lines of Misheard Lyrics? They aren't really alternative meanings.

And Gretchen, I don't think it is an alternative meaning; that is exactly what Afternoon Delight is about.


I meant the thread to be alternative meanings. But people have changed it to Misheard Lyrics. Which seems like a better use of this space.

Which concerns you... how?


Not at all. Just wait for the "Waste of Space Thread"...coming soon.
La la la la la.

Post Reply