Song lyrics - misunderstood, etc.

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Message
Author
User avatar
TK421
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5933
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 07:49

#101 Post by TK421 » 03 Nov 2006, 13:54

Agrajag wrote:
VoteforPedro wrote:
knarf wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
:green:
Wait...It's not "woman"?
Maybe the Beatles just needed to e-nun-ci-ate more (although I've always heard "Paperback Writer" and "thought he was a loner")
Well, you learn something new every day. :oops:

I've got a few of these...

"Blinded by the Light" - Ripped up like a douche...

"Africa" - Not me, but I heard a guy singing "I rest my brains down in Africa" and now, that's all I can hear when I hear that song.

"Emminence Front" - It sounds like it alternates between "Killing Elmer Fudd" and "Living In A Butt"

"Secret Agent Man" - Secret Asian Man

And the worst one for me, which I didn't realize I was singing wrong for such a long time...

Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters" - I always thought that they were singing "Never gave a WHOOPTY-DOO"

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
Posts: 13709
Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Colorado

#102 Post by Odd Todd » 03 Nov 2006, 14:35

TK421 wrote: Well, you learn something new every day. :oops:

I've got a few of these...

"Blinded by the Light" - Ripped up like a douche...
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6U29S--wn8
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18810
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#103 Post by Agrajag » 07 Nov 2006, 15:07

TK421 wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
VoteforPedro wrote:
knarf wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
:green:
Wait...It's not "woman"?
Maybe the Beatles just needed to e-nun-ci-ate more (although I've always heard "Paperback Writer" and "thought he was a loner")
Well, you learn something new every day. :oops:

I've got a few of these...

"Blinded by the Light" - Ripped up like a douche...
Actually just heard this in Running With Scissors and was going to come post the same thing.
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#104 Post by JJ » 19 Nov 2006, 20:06

Had thought for many years "And curse Sir Walter Raleigh" was "And curse the walls around me."

That's not particularly interesting. Move along.
La la la la la.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#105 Post by JJ » 04 Dec 2006, 20:05

The Sundays On Earth

Had always heard it as:

'And she says "What's in the box?"'

I guess it's not. :?
La la la la la.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#106 Post by Steel Frog » 09 Jan 2007, 09:17

Stop me if we've covered this one: I was looking up the lyrics to Journey's "Faithfully" to respond on a circus theme only to find this isn't about a circus at all.

"And loving a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be"

had, to me, been "loving an amusing man..." Hence the lyric about "circus life" and "we all need the clown" in the following stanza described the singer --- Oh I get it, he's a circus clown, and it's tough being away from his woman. Geez, who would marry a circus clown? Don't answer that.

I feel shame.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#107 Post by JJ » 09 Jan 2007, 09:25

Steel Frog wrote:Stop me if we've covered this one: I was looking up the lyrics to Journey's "Faithfully" to respond on a circus theme only to find this isn't about a circus at all.

"And loving a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be"

had, to me, been "loving an amusing man..." Hence the lyric about "circus life" and "we all need the clown" in the following stanza described the singer --- Oh I get it, he's a circus clown, and it's tough being away from his woman. Geez, who would marry a circus clown? Don't answer that.

I feel shame.
Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am -- lost without you.

If you want *real* circus lyrics, hit Def Leppard's Animal. And remember, just like a river runs, like a fire needs flame, I burn for you.
La la la la la.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#108 Post by JJ » 12 Apr 2007, 08:03

The Boss wrote:Somebody took a knife, baby, edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of Moscow.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#109 Post by Steel Frog » 12 Apr 2007, 09:34

JJ wrote:
The Boss wrote:Somebody took a knife, baby, edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of Moscow.
That must have taken a while, cuz, you know, Moscow's kind of big. :)

User avatar
spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8030
Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Gender: Female
Location: Over your shoulder

#110 Post by spymeg » 12 Apr 2007, 09:35

Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
The Boss wrote:Somebody took a knife, baby, edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of Moscow.
That must have taken a while, cuz, you know, Moscow's kind of big. :)
:drum:

User avatar
TK421
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5933
Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 07:49

#111 Post by TK421 » 12 Apr 2007, 09:46

spymeg wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
The Boss wrote:Somebody took a knife, baby, edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of Moscow.
That must have taken a while, cuz, you know, Moscow's kind of big. :)
:drum:
Drumroll, indeed. He's on fire.
Image

User avatar
Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8593
Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 21:41
Gender: Male
Location: Ohio

#112 Post by Will » 22 Apr 2007, 05:04

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you? "


Has ANYONE ever heard this lyric and understood it right the first time?

I always heard..
"Now Muscle Shoals is about to swamp us
Living long has got to prove...(background vocals) (that's the truth)
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you? "

I thought maybe there was some local controversy over the unhealthy living in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. :lol:
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

chuck
Lead Actor
Lead Actor
Posts: 301
Joined: 18 Jan 2007, 08:24
Gender: Male
Location: Illinois USA

#113 Post by chuck » 23 Apr 2007, 05:25

Just heard it this morning on the way to work...

Remote Control - Eddie Money (No Control)

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 07:11
Gender: Male
Location: Corby UK
Contact:

#114 Post by Impman » 24 Apr 2007, 13:06

I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"

"Chocolate covered Island dreams"

Or how about Elvis Costello's Olivers Army, does he sing

Chin chin and a white nigger" Apologies in advance but that IS what is sounds like!
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18810
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#115 Post by Agrajag » 24 Apr 2007, 13:39

Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"

"Chocolate covered Island dreams"

Or how about Elvis Costello's Olivers Army, does he sing

Chin chin and a white nigger" Apologies in advance but that IS what is sounds like!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#116 Post by Steel Frog » 24 Apr 2007, 14:20

Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"
She has, like, 17 of 'em, all over her body and stuff. :lol:

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#117 Post by JJ » 24 Apr 2007, 15:53

Agrajag wrote:
Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"

"Chocolate covered Island dreams"

Or how about Elvis Costello's Olivers Army, does he sing

Chin chin and a white nigger" Apologies in advance but that IS what is sounds like!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
He only used the word once. I think you may not understand what "keep" means.
La la la la la.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#118 Post by JJ » 24 Apr 2007, 15:55

Steel Frog wrote:
Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"
She has, like, 17 of 'em, all over her body and stuff. :lol:
So I was at the movies with a friend and in the popcorn line. Of course I'm fairly gullible and stuff. So he starts to bust into some of the lyrics of the song, and I join in with a robust "La Isla Boni-i-i-ta!". I look back for acknowledgement -- all of the sudden he's not around. I'm left alone with the cashier. Whose name -- as I now see from her name tag -- is Bonita. And she starts to cry.

Damn it, I got set up.
Last edited by JJ on 24 Apr 2007, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33513
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#119 Post by Steel Frog » 24 Apr 2007, 19:26

JJ wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"
She has, like, 17 of 'em, all over her body and stuff. :lol:
So I was at the movies with a friend and in the popcorn line. Of course I'm fairly gullible and stuff. So he starts to bust into some of the lyrics of the song, and I join in with a robust "La Isla Boni-i-i-ta!". I look back for acknowledgement -- all of the sudden he's not around. I'm left alone with the cashier. Whose name is Bonita. And she starts to cry.

Damn it, I got set up.
Awesome.

Every night, I thank the Lord that Madonna never sang "La Isla Steel Frog"

User avatar
You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8963
Joined: 14 Mar 2005, 12:38
Gender: Male
Location: Westchester, NY

#120 Post by You Know, for Kids » 25 Apr 2007, 05:51

Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Impman wrote:I think La isla Bonita by Madonna has a few

"Young girl with eyes like Potato"
She has, like, 17 of 'em, all over her body and stuff. :lol:
So I was at the movies with a friend and in the popcorn line. Of course I'm fairly gullible and stuff. So he starts to bust into some of the lyrics of the song, and I join in with a robust "La Isla Boni-i-i-ta!". I look back for acknowledgement -- all of the sudden he's not around. I'm left alone with the cashier. Whose name is Bonita. And she starts to cry.

Damn it, I got set up.
Awesome.

Every night, I thank the Lord that Madonna never sang "La Isla Steel Frog"
I used to ask the Lord for a Mercedes Benz, but now I just think about baseball.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 07:11
Gender: Male
Location: Corby UK
Contact:

#121 Post by Impman » 27 Apr 2007, 01:52

Love that! Fancy been called Bonita???
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#122 Post by snotball » 27 Apr 2007, 03:25

From I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Burt Bacharach:

"What do you get when you kiss a guy?
You get enough germs to catch pneumonia.
After you do, he'll never bone you"
Bad dates

User avatar
what's that?
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1931
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 03:20
Gender: Female
Location: Yeovil, uh, my lover

#123 Post by what's that? » 27 Apr 2007, 03:51

snotball wrote:From I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Burt Bacharach:

"What do you get when you kiss a guy?
You get enough germs to catch pneumonia.
After you do, he'll never bone you"
:lol: :lol:
'Quite mad is he who would adopt his way of thinking to please others'

'Hedonism is the new procreation'

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip
Posts: 73
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 07:11
Gender: Male
Location: Corby UK
Contact:

#124 Post by Impman » 27 Apr 2007, 04:55

Had a mate in the Air Force who used to think Alphaville were singing

"Big in your pants, tonight big in your pants alright, that's the reason why your big in your pants"

Rather than Big in Japan
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

Dave Henry
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3158
Joined: 25 Feb 2003, 02:46
Gender: Male
Location: Sydney, Australia

#125 Post by Dave Henry » 27 Apr 2007, 05:45

Robert Palmer: Addicted To Love

I always hear this as "Might as well face it, you're a dick with a glove..." :roll:
"Wait... Dave Henry... That's your real name...
Why don't you come in, and we'll talk about it..?"

"Get some rest, Pam... You look tired..."

Post Reply