World Cup 2006 Thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.

Who will win? (Entrants listed in FIFA Ranking Order)

Brazil
14%
Czech Republic
3%
Netherlands
3%
USA
8%
Spain
6%
France
6%
England
11%
Germany
3%
Wyoming
31%
NOTA
17%

Total votes: 36

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#51 Post by Toto le Héros » 11 May 2006, 11:39

The FIFA fought against the penalties, creating the sudden death goal (Laurent Blanc scored the first one, crucifying Chilavert). It's terrific.

About Germany, Michel Platini once said that Football was a ball game with eleven players and that in the end, the germans wins the cup.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#52 Post by Steel Frog » 11 May 2006, 11:44

Toto le Héros wrote:The FIFA fought against the penalties, creating the sudden death goal (Laurent Blanc scored the first one, crucifying Chilavert). It's terrific.
I'm all for that. So much of this game is about endurance -- continual play, limited substitutions, etc...let 'em play until they drop. Too much time and energy is spent on setting up this thing to have contests decided by penalty shots.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#53 Post by You Know, for Kids » 11 May 2006, 11:52

Toasty wrote:I think it's pretty horrendous how we Americans view the game.
It's clear to me it's due our inability to perform well in it.
Much like the way we poo poo'd the Basball Classic when it became evident we were getting outclassed...
To be fair, there was a lot o poo-pooing of the Baseball Classic *before* we showed (yet again) that collecting quality individual players doesn't necessarily equate to assembling a good team.

The U.S. doesn't get worked up over the World Cup because of two factors:

1. The most devout soccer fans have their loyalties to teams other than the U.S. - generally the country of their upbringing or heritage. My father is a prime example of this in that he'd be happy if the US team did well, but he'll always really be pulling for the Germans.

2. The sport itself is very difficult to market over here, in large part to the above reasoning. You might have a large number of Americans interested in the tournament, but for the most part interest in any particular game will be only from a relatively small subset of those people. No viewership, no beer commercials, no hype.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Ridilon
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#54 Post by Ridilon » 11 May 2006, 16:50

Nunis wrote: I can't believe I'm excited about football.
It's cool to be excited, but the draft just ended. Only 3-day mini-camps are going on now. There will be some interesting June 1st roster cuts, but FA is almost over. And what's this World Cup label anyway? Football doesn't have a World Cup. Maybe you're all confusing the Grey Cup which is Canadian Football.
Jesus H. bald-headed Christ.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#55 Post by Nunis » 11 May 2006, 23:35

Ridilon wrote:
Nunis wrote: I can't believe I'm excited about football.
It's cool to be excited, but the draft just ended. Only 3-day mini-camps are going on now. There will be some interesting June 1st roster cuts, but FA is almost over. And what's this World Cup label anyway? Football doesn't have a World Cup. Maybe you're all confusing the Grey Cup which is Canadian Football.
Metric football.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#56 Post by Toto le Héros » 11 May 2006, 23:44

I found the solution to attract americans : Let's make a movie ala Rocky about soccer. We could call it Goal.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#57 Post by Gren » 12 May 2006, 01:13

Toto le Héros wrote:I found the solution to attract americans : Let's make a movie ala Rocky about soccer. We could call it Goal.
:red: That wouldn't attract anybody.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#58 Post by Ze » 12 May 2006, 01:17

Toasty wrote:Any word on Portugal's feeling coming into it?
I think everyone here expects Portugal to be world champions. They're crazy. Scolari has been using the same players for 3 years now, and he won't change them, even if they don't play in their clubs. Quim, Nuno Valente, Costinha and Maniche are all in poor shape. Costinha doesn't even have a club, and he'll most likely be in the starting eleven in the World Cup. I don't think it'll be as much fun as 2002, but it should still be good.
Toasty wrote:Group E looks NASTY!
USA, Italy, Czech, Ghana?!
Czech is a heavy favorite, USA is better than ever before and Italy is rebuilt and looking decent.... wow.
Does this not consitute the toughest grouping to get out of in '06?
I think that would be group C.
Last edited by Ze on 16 May 2006, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#59 Post by Ze » 12 May 2006, 01:18

Toto le Héros wrote:I found the solution to attract americans : Let's make a movie ala Rocky about soccer. We could call it Goal.
Let's make it a trilogy!

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#60 Post by Toto le Héros » 12 May 2006, 01:36

Gren wrote:
:red: That wouldn't attract anybody.
Article 1.7

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#61 Post by Toto le Héros » 12 May 2006, 01:39

ze424 wrote:
I think everyone here expects Portugal to be world champions. They're crazy. Scolari has been using the same players for 3 years now, and he won't change them, even if they don't play in their clubs. Baía, Quim, Nuno Valente, Costinha and Maniche are all in poor shape. Costinha doesn't even have a club, and he'll most likely be in the starting eleven in the World Cup. I don't think it'll be as much fun as 2002, but it should still be good.
That was Aimé Jacquet's strategy for 1998. He used the same players for almost 4 years. Of course, at the time most of them were doing great in their clubs... And half of them were playing in Italy where they learned that there was no such thing as a good game if the victory wasn't at the end.

Wes
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#62 Post by Wes » 12 May 2006, 02:44

ze424 wrote:
I think everyone here expects Portugal to be world champions. They're crazy. Scolari has been using the same players for 3 years now, and he won't change them, even if they don't play in their clubs. Baía, Quim, Nuno Valente, Costinha and Maniche are all in poor shape. Costinha doesn't even have a club, and he'll most likely be in the starting eleven in the World Cup. I don't think it'll be as much fun as 2002, but it should still be good.
Czech is a heavy favorite, USA is better than ever before and Italy is rebuilt and looking decent.... wow.
We are definitly in a tough group (C), with Argentina and Cote d'Ivore both very decent teams.

Ridilon
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#63 Post by Ridilon » 12 May 2006, 19:24

Wes wrote:
ze424 wrote:
We are definitly in a tough group (C), with Argentina and Cote d'Ivore both very decent teams.
I don't know where in the world you guys are getting your information here, but Football is broken into 2 conferences and 8 divisions. And I'm almost very pretty sure that there isn't a team from Ghana.
Jesus H. bald-headed Christ.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#64 Post by Toto le Héros » 12 May 2006, 23:35

Should we expect a "football" joke everyday then ?

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#65 Post by Punisher » 19 May 2006, 04:51

You have no idea how much this thread has helped me with a work project I'm putting together. Thanks to SF, YK,fK, Toasty and everyone else who gave opinions on why Americans give rocks about World Cup Soccer. I knew there was a reason I came to FW every day. ;)
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

Wes
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#66 Post by Wes » 05 Jun 2006, 10:32

Image Image Image

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#67 Post by Steel Frog » 05 Jun 2006, 10:36

Punisher wrote:You have no idea how much this thread has helped me with a work project I'm putting together. Thanks to SF, YK,fK, Toasty and everyone else who gave opinions on why Americans give rocks about World Cup Soccer. I knew there was a reason I came to FW every day. ;)
I have written a short book on the subject (no lie). I'd be happy to forward it if you care.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#68 Post by Toasty » 05 Jun 2006, 10:42

I care, SF!!

I'd love to read it!
Have you got a paperback edition to purchase?

P.S.
Looking forward to lots of banter in here over the next couple of weeks!

Elegant Violence

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#69 Post by Steel Frog » 05 Jun 2006, 11:05

Toasty wrote:I care, SF!!

I'd love to read it!
Have you got a paperback edition to purchase?
PM me an email address and I'll forward it.

I wrote it a few years ago during a very angry time in my life. I had intended on investigating publishers, but stopped after realizing it would need illustrations. Honestly, this for me was one of those cathartic things -- like writing letters you have no intention of sending. When it came time for editing, I no longer seemed to care.

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#70 Post by Punisher » 05 Jun 2006, 23:37

Steel Frog wrote:
Punisher wrote:You have no idea how much this thread has helped me with a work project I'm putting together. Thanks to SF, YK,fK, Toasty and everyone else who gave opinions on why Americans give rocks about World Cup Soccer. I knew there was a reason I came to FW every day. ;)
I have written a short book on the subject (no lie). I'd be happy to forward it if you care.
That would be fantastic - I'll PM you my e-mail address - thanks!

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#71 Post by JJ » 06 Jun 2006, 06:20

What? No thanks to the thread creator?
La la la la la.

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#72 Post by Punisher » 06 Jun 2006, 06:23

JJ wrote:
I'm sorry, you're right. I should have given your 'Soccer still sucks' more than the 2.5 seconds consideration it got. Deepest apologies.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#73 Post by JJ » 06 Jun 2006, 07:13

Punisher wrote:
JJ wrote:
I'm sorry, you're right. I should have given your 'Soccer still sucks' more than the 2.5 seconds consideration it got. Deepest apologies.
I'm just "keeping it real". Most Yanks haven't given the sport more than 2.5 seconds consideration in their life.

We just understand that it sucks, even if we haven't bothered attempting to figure out precisely why. I appreciate Frog's treatise on exactly how the sport blows, but in some ways I see it as trying to explain why the sky is blue.

(Answer: it needed the money.)
La la la la la.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#74 Post by Ze » 06 Jun 2006, 07:42

Steel Frog wrote:I wrote it a few years ago during a very angry time in my life.
I'd read a short book on this.

Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#75 Post by Hiller » 06 Jun 2006, 08:30

Brazil wins it all. But the US wins their group.
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream