World Cup 2006 Thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.

Who will win? (Entrants listed in FIFA Ranking Order)

Brazil
5
14%
Czech Republic
1
3%
Netherlands
1
3%
USA
3
8%
Spain
2
6%
France
2
6%
England
4
11%
Germany
1
3%
Wyoming
11
31%
NOTA
6
17%
 
Total votes: 36

Message
Author
User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

#326 Post by spivey » 05 Jul 2006, 09:25

Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

#327 Post by F.N.G. » 05 Jul 2006, 09:47

spivey wrote:Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D
We have an Englishman and an honoury Scot in the team. Who's the Argie? Let me guess: Camoronese?
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#328 Post by Nunis » 05 Jul 2006, 10:04

F.N.G. wrote:
spivey wrote:Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D
We have an Englishman and an honoury Scot in the team. Who's the Argie? Let me guess: Camoronese?
Yes, Camoranesi was born in Argentina. How do I know? I've no idea, but I feel I already know too much about this silly game.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

#329 Post by F.N.G. » 05 Jul 2006, 10:08

Nunis wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
spivey wrote:Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D
We have an Englishman and an honoury Scot in the team. Who's the Argie? Let me guess: Camoronese?
Yes, Camoranesi was born in Argentina. How do I know? I've no idea, but I feel I already know too much about this silly game.
It was the hair that gave it away. :D
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

#330 Post by spivey » 05 Jul 2006, 10:31

F.N.G. wrote:
Nunis wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
spivey wrote:Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D
We have an Englishman and an honoury Scot in the team. Who's the Argie? Let me guess: Camoronese?
Yes, Camoranesi was born in Argentina. How do I know? I've no idea, but I feel I already know too much about this silly game.
It was the hair that gave it away. :D
Hey! Leave us "savages" alone, man. ;)
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

#331 Post by F.N.G. » 05 Jul 2006, 10:49

spivey wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Nunis wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
spivey wrote:Alas, we have been avenged by Italy, and with an Argentine player on this Italian team, it tastes even better! :D
We have an Englishman and an honoury Scot in the team. Who's the Argie? Let me guess: Camoronese?
Yes, Camoranesi was born in Argentina. How do I know? I've no idea, but I feel I already know too much about this silly game.
It was the hair that gave it away. :D
Hey! Leave us "savages" alone, man. ;)
That quote really suits your avatar!
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

rob
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Nov 2005, 14:54

#332 Post by rob » 05 Jul 2006, 11:15

Altro che pizza e spaghetti... Image
Image
...è questa L'ITALIAImage


GO GO GO ITALY...

User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

#333 Post by spivey » 05 Jul 2006, 12:12

Bierhoff, who confirmed that FIFA had ordered Germany to put in a report on the brawl, put the blame firmly on Argentina.

"It was a pity that players couldn't keep their tempers and follow the example of the fans, who are celebrating this World Cup together," Bierhoff said at a news conference on Saturday.

"I know temperament and emotion play a big part in Latin football. They work themselves into an emotional state."
Suck my non-existent peepee, Bierhoff. Let's see what your emotional state is now that your team has been eliminated...by a Latin country. :hi:
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#334 Post by Toto le Héros » 05 Jul 2006, 14:21

BRING IT ON ITALY !!!

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#335 Post by Toto le Héros » 05 Jul 2006, 14:22

I'm pretty relaxed. Statistically, France never lost a World Cup Finale.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29041
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#336 Post by JJ » 05 Jul 2006, 14:30

Didn't watch it. Did you deserve your penalty kick (read: free goal)? Figo doesn't seem to think so.
La la la la la.

rob
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Nov 2005, 14:54

#337 Post by rob » 05 Jul 2006, 14:58

Toto le Héros wrote:I'm pretty relaxed. Statistically, France never lost a World Cup Finale.
There is always a first time baby!

Image

FORZA AZZURRI

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6193
Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 13:48
Gender: Male
Location: The Balcony
Contact:

#338 Post by DrG » 05 Jul 2006, 15:24

JJ wrote:Didn't watch it. Did you deserve your penalty kick (read: free goal)? Figo doesn't seem to think so.
Well, that, according to many will be the $64,000 question. Thierry's fall was OTT, and looking from an objective POV, it was a poor penalty decision.

But as I'm still on an anti-any fucking team Cristiano Ronaldo plays for roll, then Viva la France!
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

#339 Post by spivey » 05 Jul 2006, 15:40

JJ wrote:Didn't watch it. Did you deserve your penalty kick (read: free goal)? Figo doesn't seem to think so.
Got to catch this first half on my lunch break. I don't think it was a penalty at all. BUT, Portugal did fail to tie. If they deserved to win then they would've. So, congrats to France and Toto! :D
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29041
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#340 Post by JJ » 05 Jul 2006, 22:31

Finally saw it. That call was beyond awful. I'd be more ashamed than normal to be French.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#341 Post by Toto le Héros » 05 Jul 2006, 23:32

JJ wrote:Finally saw it. That call was beyond awful. I'd be more ashamed than normal to be French.
Why would I bother to justify my point of view ?

Anyway... From the reverse angle, the left foot of the defender clearly hit Henry's leg, making him fall considering his angle. He should not have raised his arms because it makes you think he's simulating.

You want to learn about simulation ?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 7D007390B4

I'm not ashamed at all JJ. We're in the finalissima !

Where are you ? Waiting for hockey to begin ?

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#342 Post by Toto le Héros » 05 Jul 2006, 23:33

JJ wrote:Didn't watch it. Did you deserve your penalty kick (read: free goal)? Figo doesn't seem to think so.
Oh and Ricardo stopped 3 penalty kicks against England... Not totally free.

Then again, it was Zidane.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29041
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#343 Post by JJ » 05 Jul 2006, 23:49

I give up. Why would you bother to justify your point of view?


I think the haters win this World Cup. The play hasn't been particularly good, and the refs have been shamefully everpresent.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5035
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 01:54
Gender: Male
Location: a gin joint

#344 Post by Humphrey » 06 Jul 2006, 02:47

I agree that many of the matches have been ruined by referees, but not this one. In spite of the Portuguese player's incessant diving he rarely fell for their antics, and the penalty was absolutely beyond doubt. It may have been an unfortunate and unintentional move, but the defender did kick Henry in the ankle, as a result of which he did not have a shot on goal. It is not a requirement for a penalty that the foul be intentional. All that is required is that a player with a chance of scoring or setting up a shot on goal is fouled within the penalty area, thereby preventing him from completing his moves. Which is why the defender was not sent off, or even booked. Read the papers, everyone agrees - apart from Scolari - that it was the right decision.
Allez les bleus!
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#345 Post by Punisher » 06 Jul 2006, 03:30

DrG wrote:But as I'm still on an anti-any fucking team Cristiano Ronaldo plays for roll, then Viva la France!
You obviously haven't seen him without his shirt on...
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

#346 Post by F.N.G. » 06 Jul 2006, 03:35

Punisher wrote:
DrG wrote:But as I'm still on an anti-any fucking team Cristiano Ronaldo plays for roll, then Viva la France!
You obviously haven't seen him without his shirt on...
G likes her men to be men, not litte boys...
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 29939
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

#347 Post by Batman » 06 Jul 2006, 04:56

Humphrey wrote:I agree that many of the matches have been ruined by referees, but not this one. In spite of the Portuguese player's incessant diving he rarely fell for their antics, and the penalty was absolutely beyond doubt. It may have been an unfortunate and unintentional move, but the defender did kick Henry in the ankle, as a result of which he did not have a shot on goal. It is not a requirement for a penalty that the foul be intentional. All that is required is that a player with a chance of scoring or setting up a shot on goal is fouled within the penalty area, thereby preventing him from completing his moves. Which is why the defender was not sent off, or even booked. Read the papers, everyone agrees - apart from Scolari - that it was the right decision.
Allez les bleus!
I heard France is now saying, "Allez les vieux!"
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

#348 Post by Toasty » 06 Jul 2006, 05:44

Image

Per la famiglia
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3413
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 05:48
Gender: Male

#349 Post by Hiller » 06 Jul 2006, 05:56

My brother and his family just flew into Italy yesterday for a previously planned working vacation, so I will be rooting for Italy so they can partake in the celebration. All in all not a great world cup with the USA's ugly performance and so much attention on the refs and the cards. But at least the US got a tie against a world cup finalist.
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#350 Post by Toto le Héros » 06 Jul 2006, 06:13

Humphrey : Image

Batman : Considering that most of these players are my age (34)... :tongue:


Oh and a little one I found :

Image

Post Reply