World Cup 2006 Thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.

Who will win? (Entrants listed in FIFA Ranking Order)

Brazil
14%
Czech Republic
3%
Netherlands
3%
USA
8%
Spain
6%
France
6%
England
11%
Germany
3%
Wyoming
31%
NOTA
17%

Total votes: 36

rob
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

#401 Post by rob » 09 Jul 2006, 17:33

...campioni del mondo...
...campioni del mondo...
...campioni del mondo...

...è qui la festa...

THX MY ITALY

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#402 Post by Toto le Héros » 10 Jul 2006, 00:56

A shame that Zidane missed his previous head shot...

I'm not sad for the defeat. Italy missed several opportunities as we did.
I'm devastated by the ending of Zidane's career on this.

As I said to my friends, the italian victory and their tactics did not bother me. I mean their catenaccio was pretty effective, even if it's a boring way to play.
But their spririt was awful. In the first 15 minutes, they tried to destroy the French team backbone : Henry, Vieira, Thuram. Awful fouls were made against them.
And in the end, the constant provocations of Matterasi made him snapped. Don't forget that Lippi (italian coach) was Zidane's coach when he spent 5 years at the Juventus. He knows that this player has a temper and on which button to push.

Concerning the expulsion.
This kind of behavior is unacceptable. I understand it though. I'm not the "present the other chick" guy.
First question : "How come tonight was the first decision made with the help of the video ?" The entire stadium saw what happened because of a giant screen playing the replay of a secondary camera whch wasn't originally aired. The refs were still arguing because Buffon reported an incident to the line ref. Then, suddenly, after the replay, Zidane got his red card.

Second question : "When you know you're gonna get a red card : Why on earth didn't you break the fucker's nose ?"
Or maybe you could have chosen a better target : The goalkeeper for instance... :lol:

Shit.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#403 Post by Humphrey » 10 Jul 2006, 02:36

All in all a fitting end to the World Cup. Started off promisingly, with the two teams going at each other with gusto, then got marred by a dodgy penalty decision, the game recovered a little only to become completely boring by the end of the second half. It descended into farce, with players calling for a red card, being more interested in having someone sent off than playing a fucking game of football. Not that the decision was wrong; it was the correct decision, but it just seems wrong when players appeal for cards with the ref. In the end it was decided by penalty kicks where the team that looked less likely to score in open game won the trophy. That is the story of the whole World Cup in a nutshell. Germany v Costa Rica suggested that we may be in for a treat. Then came England against Paraguay and Brazil against Croatia and we knew we would never see a truly stunning match. Argentina v Mexico was good, but apart from that there was precious little proper football, a lot of bad refereeing and some terrible behaviour by players. Poop.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#404 Post by Humphrey » 10 Jul 2006, 02:38

Oh, and while I am not upset at all that Italy won the World Cup, please everyone, stop praising them for their fortitude in the midst of scandal. They were not born yesterday, they were perfectly aware that Italian football was not simply a game (Vialli in an interview said, we all knew it was not a clean game, we just did not know it was this dirty). Scandals at home do not mean that they automatically deserve the trophy.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#405 Post by Punisher » 10 Jul 2006, 02:39

Humphrey wrote:All in all a fitting end to the World Cup. Started off promisingly, with the two teams going at each other with gusto, then got marred by a dodgy penalty decision, the game recovered a little only to become completely boring by the end of the second half. It descended into farce, with players calling for a red card, being more interested in having someone sent off than playing a fucking game of football. Not that the decision was wrong; it was the correct decision, but it just seems wrong when players appeal for cards with the ref. In the end it was decided by penalty kicks where the team that looked less likely to score in open game won the trophy. That is the story of the whole World Cup in a nutshell. Germany v Costa Rica suggested that we may be in for a treat. Then came England against Paraguay and Brazil against Croatia and we knew we would never see a truly stunning match. Argentina v Mexico was good, but apart from that there was precious little proper football, a lot of bad refereeing and some terrible behaviour by players. Poop.
Tune in in four years' time for the next exciting installment of World Poop Football.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#406 Post by Toasty » 10 Jul 2006, 04:43

I'm happy for Italy... Mom's side of the bloodline and all. But it's pretty clear that France was the better team, and simply beat themselves.

They had the Azzurri dog-tired in the second half (not sure how much of that catanaccio was effective judging by the nearly dozen open turns Henry, Malouda, Ribery and Zidane each had in the box) and ought to have put them away (if not in open play, the idea of Italia's terrible history in shoot-outs should have been on all their minds).

A couple of glorious misses... an injury to Vieria, age on the legs of Henry and Zidane succombing to his temper, thus was the copa lost... slowly.

Lost. Italy did not Win it, as they say.
France lost.

Sorry Toto.

Sad end to the Cup final... though as an Italian fan, we'll take it.

Careful bagging on "constant provocations by Matterasi" though. We all know (even JJ) that gamesmanship is DEFINITELY part of futbol. It is part of the game... like it or not, for better or for worse, it is there.

Those provocations were minimalistic anyway, really. A shirt hold here, a "your mom has a bald pipa" joke there. Stuff we all should have learned to deal with by the end of secondary school.

Yet Zidane found himself acting poorly about it (again) and all the French paid for it.
Elegant Violence

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#407 Post by » 10 Jul 2006, 05:41

That head butt was pretty cool. I've seen plenty of head butt's to the other fellas head, but the chest? I know these guys are trained to fall at the slightest hint of contact but it was funny the way that dude just dropped.

On a more positive soccer note, my team that has mired in mediocrity for the last 5 years finally got moved down into a lower division and we are now undefeated and in first place.
The :) means it's all ok.

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#408 Post by Punisher » 10 Jul 2006, 05:44

You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

jowind
Producer
Producer

#409 Post by jowind » 10 Jul 2006, 05:59

SHUT UP!
DOC: "Roads? Where we're going,|we don't need roads."

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#410 Post by knarf » 10 Jul 2006, 06:25

And Wyoming has yet to be eliminated.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#411 Post by Toto le Héros » 10 Jul 2006, 07:26

The Guardian (and we know how serious thsi paper can be...) reports the "conversation" between Zidane and Matterazi:

ZZidane (smiling) : Stop pulling my shirt
MM : Shut up motherfucker, you only get what you deserve.
ZZ : Yeah, right
MM : You get what all muslims motherfuckers should get, you fucking terrorrist.

Part of the game you said eh ?
A football forum guy wrote that the smartest thing to do was to talk about this insult incident in a press conference afterwards, and let the press crush the twat.
But football player and smart thing to do are too rarely used in one sentence.

What bothers me most is that he didn't even smashed the guy's head. He did score his penalty kick...

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#412 Post by JJ » 10 Jul 2006, 07:32

Zidane's a terrorist? Why was he even allowed to play in the final?
La la la la la.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#413 Post by Toasty » 10 Jul 2006, 08:34

Toto le Héros wrote:The Guardian (and we know how serious thsi paper can be...) reports the "conversation" between Zidane and Matterazi:

A football forum guy wrote that the smartest thing to do was to talk about this insult incident in a press conference afterwards, and let the press crush the twat.

What bothers me most is that he didn't even smashed the guy's head. He did score his penalty kick...
I'm actually not familiar with The Guardian, so I do not know how honest to expect that quote to be. According to the sites I've been checking, both Zidane and Materasi are "tight-lipped" about the entire thing.

I think the forum guy is right... the best thing for Zidane to have done, would have been to just let it be... win the game on the shootout, and then talk about the tactics in the press conference.
two wrongs don't make a right though, and no matter what was said Zidane's response was deserved of the card. Spoken barbs have never been cardable offense's (unless spoken to the ref, of course)... so there you have it.
Bottom line.
Zidane deserved the card, which lost France the cup.
All the other stuff (his legacy andwhy) is beside the point.

I like Batman's statement. And add to it that Rugby is a better sport because of the in game policing that is intrinsically afforded.
Elegant Violence

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#414 Post by Toto le Héros » 10 Jul 2006, 09:00

I do not agree that it cost France the Cup. Even with 10 players France was dominating.
I wish Domenech had made the change when an italian crushed his shoulder.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#415 Post by JJ » 10 Jul 2006, 09:12

Well, France's only goal was on an at-the-very-least debatable penalty, so there's an argument that Italy deserved to win 1-0. (Of course, there was another play in the box which wasn't called and was probably deserved, so France may well have scored there.)

Two notes/questions:

1) Italy seemed to have the French goalie/defense extremely well scouted, judging from the corner kicks in the first half that kept going the exact same place and kept getting good shots on goal. The German goalie would have come out and snared/batted most of those.

2) Italy's only goal came when the guy pushed down on the defender's shoulder to get additional leverage on his header. Close play -- foul or no?
La la la la la.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#416 Post by Toasty » 10 Jul 2006, 09:39

toto wrote:I do not agree that it cost France the Cup. Even with 10 players France was dominating.
I wish Domenech had made the change when an italian crushed his shoulder.
True, it was Henry's replacement who missed the penalty shot that made the difference, but I have a feeling Zidane's influence on the shootout would have made for a calmer Trezeguet, and thus a better shot from him.

I am one who believes in things like "intangibles" though.
JJ wrote:2) Italy's only goal came when the guy pushed down on the defender's shoulder to get additional leverage on his header. Close play -- foul or no?
Totally Arbitrary. The Beautiful game, imperfect, art form.... Thus it doesn't matter.
:lol:

Game set... Copa!

Italia are the Champions.

Sorry if I am being insensitive to your pain Toto.
I'll digress now (I'm no Matterasi, after all).
Elegant Violence

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#417 Post by spivey » 10 Jul 2006, 12:55

Toto le Héros wrote:The Guardian (and we know how serious thsi paper can be...) reports the "conversation" between Zidane and Matterazi:

Here's another version:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Tua sorella es una putanna!
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#418 Post by bing » 10 Jul 2006, 14:25

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#419 Post by London Redsox » 10 Jul 2006, 15:12

Toto le Héros wrote: First question : "How come tonight was the first decision made with the help of the video ?" The entire stadium saw what happened because of a giant screen playing the replay of a secondary camera whch wasn't originally aired. The refs were still arguing because Buffon reported an incident to the line ref. Then, suddenly, after the replay, Zidane got his red card.
Mal chance, Toto.

My impression, backed by the articles I have seen, was that the incident was not shown on the stadium screens, so the vast majority of the crowd missed the incident. That seems supported by the booing that the ref and the Italians continued to get after the incident. Had they shown in on the screens, I think that effect would have been lessened.

Sources indicate that the 4th official, who doesn't have TV access saw the incident, and told the linesman, who told the ref. A 5th official, who does have TV access, isn't miked up like the others.

(Then again, I've always thought that the baseball umps were secretly wired up in the 2004 ALCS, to a 7th ump with replay. They got the A-Rod slap play and a Bellhorn home-run right suspiciously quickly. So it would be no surprise if FIFA wanted to keep this quiet.)
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#420 Post by JJ » 10 Jul 2006, 15:35

Personally, I'm sick of people complaining about the officiating in soccer and how poor and random it seems. :roll:
La la la la la.

jowind
Producer
Producer

#421 Post by jowind » 10 Jul 2006, 16:06

Anything Materazzi said isn't a justification to do what Zidane did!!!!

The only real thing is that Italy won.

And now the CUP is in Italy :D

DOC: "Roads? Where we're going,|we don't need roads."

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#422 Post by Toasty » 10 Jul 2006, 16:39

you have to say TY and WD.
Toto, you old Trezeguet....
Elegant Violence

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#423 Post by JJ » 10 Jul 2006, 20:43

timesonline wrote:The Times enlisted the help of an expert lip reader, Jessica Rees, to determine the precise nature of the dialogue that caused Zidane to react in such a manner.

After an exhaustive study of the match video, and with the help of an Italian translator, Rees claimed that Materazzi called Zidane “the son of a terrorist whore” before adding “so just f*** off” for good measure, supporting the natural assumption that the Frenchman must have been grievously insulted.
La la la la la.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#424 Post by Toto le Héros » 11 Jul 2006, 00:38

JJ wrote:Well, France's only goal was on an at-the-very-least debatable penalty
:red:
Malouda was going fast. A slight contact was enough. And once again, it's not because he was able to walk afterwards that it wasn't a real foul.

JJ wrote:Two notes/questions:

1) Italy seemed to have the French goalie/defense extremely well scouted, judging from the corner kicks in the first half that kept going the exact same place and kept getting good shots on goal. The German goalie would have come out and snared/batted most of those.
:green:
JJ wrote:2) Italy's only goal came when the guy pushed down on the defender's shoulder to get additional leverage on his header. Close play -- foul or no?
Not really, because he did put his hand on Vieira's shoulder but in the end of his mouvement. Vieira could never have reached his height anyway considering that he was jumping "backwards" as the Materazzi asshole was going forward fullspeed.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#425 Post by Humphrey » 11 Jul 2006, 02:01

It was exactly the same kind of penalty that France were awarded against Portugal. An unintentional flick on the striker's foot pushed him off balance and cost him the chance of a shot on goal. Again, the fact that no card was shown indicates that the ref was aware that the foul was unintentional, but a foul nonetheless. Clearly a penalty.
About Zidane: he should not have headbutted the guy, and there is no point in looking for mitigating circumstances, but that does not make Materazzi pure as the driven snow. Like C Ronaldo he found the right thing to say and do to make Zidane lose his cool. It is not that hard to do with players who have a history of violence. It is a shame that footballers far too often look for underhand ways to ensure victory.