World Cup 2006 Thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.

Who will win? (Entrants listed in FIFA Ranking Order)

Brazil
14%
Czech Republic
3%
Netherlands
3%
USA
8%
Spain
6%
France
6%
England
11%
Germany
3%
Wyoming
31%
NOTA
17%

Total votes: 36

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#451 Post by snotball » 18 Jul 2006, 02:36

I can't believe I'm posting in this thread.

As seen by the Germans:

As seen by the French:

As seen by the Italians:

As seen by the Americans:

As reported by the Press:
Bad dates

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#452 Post by Nunis » 18 Jul 2006, 03:01

*cough*
That link now also has some new ones.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#453 Post by snotball » 18 Jul 2006, 03:20

Nunis wrote:*cough*
That link now also has some new ones.
Since the whole subject doesn't really interest me, I think it's quite understandable that I haven't read this thread.
Bad dates

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#454 Post by Steel Frog » 12 Sep 2006, 10:46

Timing sucks, true, but I still found this amusing:
Sports Pickle wrote:U.S. soccer team finally appreciating that no one gives a crap about soccer in America

In the week since its disappointing play in the World Cup led to an early exit from the tournament, members of the U.S. soccer team are fully appreciating for the first time in their lives the benefits of playing a sport that few people in America care about.

“Ever since I was a teenager and moving up through the system it really bothered me that the general public didn’t pay attention to soccer and didn’t care about our team,” said forward Landon Donovan. “But I never realized the flipside to that – that when we suck and embarrass us on the world stage it’s no big deal back home. We escape all the scrutiny.”

Fellow teammate DaMarcus Beasley said that after coming home from Germany he feared he wouldn’t be able to go out in public without getting disapproving from strangers. But he has been pleasantly surprised.

“Not a single person has recognized me. Same as always,” said Beasley. “It’s been great.”

Donovan noticed that the team received a day or two of criticism after their elimination, but the media quickly moved on to other stories.
“In other countries we’d still be the biggest story and we’d be getting hammered,” said Donovan. “But not here. In fact, I told some of my neighbors that we won the whole thing. And once I explained to them what the World Cup is, they congratulated me. It was really exciting.”

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#455 Post by Punisher » 12 Sep 2006, 22:39

Steel Frog wrote:Timing sucks, true, but I still found this amusing:
Sports Pickle wrote:U.S. soccer team finally appreciating that no one gives a crap about soccer in America

In the week since its disappointing play in the World Cup led to an early exit from the tournament, members of the U.S. soccer team are fully appreciating for the first time in their lives the benefits of playing a sport that few people in America care about.

“Ever since I was a teenager and moving up through the system it really bothered me that the general public didn’t pay attention to soccer and didn’t care about our team,” said forward Landon Donovan. “But I never realized the flipside to that – that when we suck and embarrass us on the world stage it’s no big deal back home. We escape all the scrutiny.”

Fellow teammate DaMarcus Beasley said that after coming home from Germany he feared he wouldn’t be able to go out in public without getting disapproving from strangers. But he has been pleasantly surprised.

“Not a single person has recognized me. Same as always,” said Beasley. “It’s been great.”

Donovan noticed that the team received a day or two of criticism after their elimination, but the media quickly moved on to other stories.
“In other countries we’d still be the biggest story and we’d be getting hammered,” said Donovan. “But not here. In fact, I told some of my neighbors that we won the whole thing. And once I explained to them what the World Cup is, they congratulated me. It was really exciting.”
:lol: Awesome!
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.