PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 09:01 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 09:04 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Have seen bits and pieces of games in certain movies (most recently in Look Both Ways). I just have no idea what the game's about. I tried reading wiki's entry about rules and objects but it's too long for a sport I currently care so little about.

Could anyone give a short explanation of wickets, overs, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 12:00 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Over - depending on the length of game (one dayers wtc), a test match normally lasts for two sets of 50 overs. An over is 6 balls by the bowler.

So one team bats, gets as many runs as they can get in the 50 overs OR until they're all out (a wicket) OR until they declare (say they have enough, your turn). Then the next team bats and tries to get more. Then the first team, then the second UNLESS the second team got so few runs in their first set of 50 that the opposing team force them to FOLLOW ON (basically setting them a score to beat). The team with the most runs at the end of both innings wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 12:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Is there a DH or does the pitcher hit?

When we're living our dream

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 12:26 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2006, 15:23 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

I think he meant to call the thread "crickets".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 00:01 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 15:09 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

AlottaFagina wrote:

Agrajag wrote:
Could anyone give a short explanation of wickets, overs, etc.?

That's where I went before posting here but it seemed too long to read at the time and was hoping for something easier. I'm sure F.N.G.'s post makes sense to a cricket watcher, but to me, it's mostly gibberish. It's too complicated a game, I suppose, for a simple explanation. I probably will read the wiki article sometime (if I ever care to remotely understand the game)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 00:35 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

I'll try to break it down.

Innings: Each team play two of these. Up to 50 overs, during which time the batters try to amass as many runs as possible.

Over: 6 bowls. An over where no runs are dropped is known as a 'maiden over'.

Wicket: If a batter is made out, it is known as a wicket. 10 wickets = all out.

6: If a batsman hits the ball off the pitch in the air the team are awarded 6 runs.

4: If a batsman hits a ball off the field and it bounces or rolls off, the team are awarded four point.

Duck: If a batsman is out for 0 runs it is known as a duck. If he gets out from his first bowl it is known as a golden duck.

Extras: poor bowling gives extra runs to the batting team, these are added to the score.

Basic aims:

To get the opposing team out for as few runs as possible, whilst getting as many for your own team as possible.

How to get out:

1) If the bowler hits the stumps.
2) If you hit the ball (even just slightly) and get caught.
3) LBW=leg before wicket. If your leg blocks the stumps, but the ball would have hit them, you are out (umpire's decision)
4) Stumped- if your foot goes over the crease (line on the floor) and the wicket keeper (like a catcher in baseball) catches the ball and hits the stumps.
5) Run out- if you run, your batting partner (2 batters are on the pitch at one time, opposite ends) has to run. If they are stumped, because of miscomminucation or just being a lardass, they are out, and it's your fault.

Tests:
A test match lasts 5 days. This is to aim to achieve all 4 innings. Of course, in England the weather will rob you of at least 1 1/2 days of play.
If there is no clear winner (i.e. the batting team is still in play) at the end of the match and there are still overs to play, but time has beaten you, it is declared a draw.
If you score 350 runs in your forst innings (350-all out); the opposing team then score 300; you score 300 and then bowl the opposing team out for 250 then you have won by 100runs.
If, however, their second innings they get 351 runs (say only 4 of them have got out), then they win by 1 run with 6 wickets to spare.

It's really pretty simple, but the best way is to watch it. Whaen it gets complicated is when the commentators start naming the bowls (e.g. googlies), that can get annoying.

Last edited by F.N.G. on 01 Aug 2006, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 01:27 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

F.N.G. wrote:
Innings: Each team play two of these. Up to 50 overs, during which time the batters try to amass as many runs as possible.

An innings is a team's turn at bat. In test match cricket, each team has two innings in which to score more total runs than their opponent. In one-day cricket (aka. limited overs), each team has one inning in which to build the largest score and the number of overs is limited (50 and 20 are common).

F.N.G. wrote:
Wicket: If a batter is made out, it is known as an inning. 10 innings = all out.

Wicket has a few meanings. It can mean making an out (i.e. "losing your wicket") as F.N.G. stated, it can mean the stumps (the three sticks and two bails at each end of the pitch) and it is also often used to mean the playing pitch. Commentators will talk about the state of the wicket in terms of whether it favors the batsmen or the bowlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 04:43 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

F.N.G. wrote:
When it gets complicated is when the commentators start naming the bowls (e.g. googlies), that can get annoying.

I don't think the intricacies of cricket are any more complicated than other sports, once you understand context.

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 09:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

And the fielding positions have great names, like silly mid off, silly mid on, silly point, leg gully and square short leg :D

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 10:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

DrG wrote:
And the fielding positions have great names, like silly mid off, silly mid on, silly point, leg gully and square short leg :D

Seriously?

Are there cricket stadiums (stadia?) or do they just play in a big field? How many spectators?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 10:28 
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

Hiller wrote:
DrG wrote:

Seriously?

Are there cricket stadiums (stadia?) or do they just play in a big field? How many spectators?

There are cricket stadiums and the national team get thousands of spectators. Although most of them seem to just be there to get a tan and read the paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 10:44 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

So where does "Sticky Wicket" come from?

To me any game that has to be "limited" to just one day seems to make Soccer look interesting (Just my opinion, nothing against Soccer or Cricket).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 13:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

F.N.G. wrote:
Hiller wrote:
DrG wrote:

Seriously?

There are cricket stadiums and the national team get thousands of spectators. Although most of them seem to just be there to get a tan and read the paper.

Agreed. If you go to watch a test match, county championship match, or a one day match you will be there for the whole day. It's just one big long picnic with a fair amount of drinking and larking about from the livelier sections of the crowd. When there is a big test match on TV, the cameras always focus on groups of blokes in fancy dress. I used to live next to the cricket ground at Headingley in Leeds and it was always a good laugh to see people going into the ground with half their worldly goods - blankets, picnic hampers, cushions, brollies, massive rucksacks, camping stoves, coolers full of beer. Of course, they've stopped you taking alcohol into the ground now, but ten years ago you could take cans in.

And here are some pics of a couple of famous grounds. Headingley (in Leeds) is where Yorkshire play. The bottom one is Lord's (in London), the most famous ground and the home of the Marylebone Cricket Club ...

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 14:32 

F.N.G. wrote:
Hiller wrote:
DrG wrote:

Seriously?

In England maybe but it's life and death in South Asia. As Ashis Nandy puts it, "cricket is an Indian game that was accidentally discovered by the English". His essay, "The Tao of Cricket" is worth reading by anyone interested in cricket or the Indian psyche. Or both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 14:34 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

I'd play if I could throw at Big Douchie's head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2006, 01:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Despite the fact that the Sri Lankans are currently kicking our asses, cricket roolz. But it did take me a while to wrap my head around the ins and outs (har har) of the game. One thing though - we definitely need more hott players in cricket. I'm not overly familiar with other teams because they all seem to chop and change so much, but there is no decent perve material at all in the South African team. A real shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2006, 03:58 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

How is the US team doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2006, 04:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hiller wrote:

Hott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 00:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hiller wrote:

There are only a limited number of nations who are deemed good enough to play test match cricket. These are (roughly from best to least good):
Australia
England
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
South Africa
New Zealand
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

There are other cricket-playing nations, but they only play limited overs cricket. The US, Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Netherlands and a few others have cricket teams, but they are nowhere near good enough to be taken seriously as cricketing nations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 00:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

And I think after today's test match performance South Africa will be moving a couple more places down on that list. Retards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 01:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Punisher wrote:
And I think after today's test match performance South Africa will be moving a couple more places down on that list. Retards.

Well I already took that into account when making up this rough list. I still think you'd have no problem pounding the Windies, the Kiwis, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 01:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Humphrey wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Well I already took that into account when making up this rough list. I still think you'd have no problem pounding the Windies, the Kiwis, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

:green:

Actually you were almost dead on with those test match rankings. According to the ICC, the official test rankings are:

Australia
Pakistan
England
India
Sri Lanka
South Africa
New Zealand
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

At least we do better in the one day international rankings:

Australia