FilmWise Forums
It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 12:53

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006, 13:29 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

DrG wrote:
Think the main area I get confused with is all the differing innings, or whatever they are called. Do they have like ten or something innings for each team?

9 innings per team. Each inning consists of three 'outs' - that is, once three players on the batting team are out (ball is caught, ball is thrown to a base before the runner gets there etc), their inning is over and the other team gets to bat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006, 15:22 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

London Redsox wrote:
DrG wrote:
Think the main area I get confused with is all the differing innings, or whatever they are called. Do they have like ten or something innings for each team?

9 innings per team. Each inning consists of three 'outs' - that is, once three players on the batting team are out (ball is caught, ball is thrown to a base before the runner gets there etc), their inning is over and the other team gets to bat.

What confused me in trying to "get" Cricket by reading posts is the damn word "out". Used in both games but meaning totally different things.

In baseball, each batter tries to get home to score a run, and in doing so will get on base (be called "safe") or won't get on base (be called "out"). Like LoSox said, "out" is having the ball caught in the air, or the ball reach the base before the runner, or the ever popular strike out (3 strikes per at bat). (Let me know if you need explanation between calling ball/strike during an at bat)

Scoring is much easier than in Cricket--each player that goes around the bases and crosses home in each inning (like LoSox said-9 innings per side) scores a run. At the end of 9, whoever has the most wins. In the case of a tie, there are extra innings--each team gets 3 more "outs" to try to score one inning at a time as long as the tie remains.

It's the little rules (balks, Infield flies, third strike passed balls, etc.) that still confuse me cause I watch about 10 games a season :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006, 15:45 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Agrajag wrote:
London Redsox wrote:
DrG wrote:

What confused me in trying to "get" Cricket by reading posts is the damn word "out". Used in both games but meaning totally different things.

No they don't. Both games have a set number of outs which when reached means that the inning is complete. In baseball, it's three; in cricket, ten.

What's more, the means of making outs are very similar. Typically: being caught, failing to defend a certain portion of the playing area (strikezone/wicket), failing to reach a designated safe zone (base/crease) before the ball can be delivered there by the fielding team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006, 15:56 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Philip wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
London Redsox wrote:
DrG wrote:

No they don't. Both games have a set number of outs which when reached means that the inning is complete. In baseball, it's three; in cricket, ten.

What's more, the means of making outs are very similar. Typically: being caught, failing to defend a certain portion of the playing area (strikezone/wicket), failing to reach a designated safe zone (base/crease) before the ball can be delivered there by the fielding team.

I really need to watch a game with these posts printed out....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 14:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

So what the heck happened with the Pakistan/England game? Was it the refs fault or was Pakistan really cheating? And do they use the same ball for the whole game?

When we're living our dream

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 15:41 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Hiller wrote:
So what the heck happened with the Pakistan/England game? Was it the refs fault or was Pakistan really cheating? And do they use the same ball for the whole game?

Pakistan are famous (or should that be infamous?) for ball-tampering. They got into trouble over it during the Test series in 1992, and now they are at it again. I'm not sure if they are actually guilty, but something was clearly wrong as the umpires don't usually kick up a fuss over nothing. It's a very serious offence in the cricket world as scuffing or gouging the ball can cause a reverse swing, and is very difficult to bat against. Therefore, a doctored ball can give the fielding team an unfair advantage.

Not sure off the top of my head how long they keep the ball in play for in a Test match. It gets changed at least every new innings, or if it becomes damaged. Acutally - just checked wikipedia and it says that the captain of the fielding side can change the ball after 80 overs if they wish.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 18:49 

DrG wrote:
Hiller wrote:

Pakistan are famous (or should that be infamous?) for ball-tampering. They got into trouble over it during the Test series in 1992, and now they are at it again.

They were never officially charged with ball-tampering in 1992. The tabloid media ran a story -- which quickly became sensationalized -- that suggested that gouging the ball was the only explanation for the reverse-swing that the Pakistani bowlers could induce from an old ball. Now that the reverse-swing effect has been analyzed and understood, the accusations have less merit. Both Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were good enough and fast enough to extract reverse-swing without cheating.

DrG wrote:
Not sure off the top of my head how long they keep the ball in play for in a Test match. It gets changed at least every new innings, or if it becomes damaged. Acutally - just checked wikipedia and it says that the captain of the fielding side can change the ball after 80 overs if they wish.

Clubs also keep a stock of balls of various different ages and conditions should a replacement be needed if the live ball is lost or damaged beyond the point of being serviceable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 04:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

The US team in mostly blue, the Canadian team in mostly red. (Canada won the match by ten wickets.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 10:40 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Humphrey wrote:
The US team in mostly blue, the Canadian team in mostly red. (Canada won the match by ten wickets.)

This made less news in the US than the girls' little league world series. No kidding...but I'm burned up all the same. :balrog:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 11:43 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Steel Frog wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

This made less news in the US than the girls' little league world series. No kidding...but I'm burned up all the same. :balrog:

We have a cricket team? :o Whoo Hoo! U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A., oh wait, I guess the more wickets the better, huh? Damn Canadians! :balrog:

Post subject: Re: Cricket
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 14:56 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

my dad watches cricket. very big everywhere except america

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 18:38 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

rinasings2u wrote:

What about the moon? Is it very big there? Or the bottom of the ocean?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 19:59 

bratzks wrote:
rinasings2u wrote:

What about the moon? Is it very big there? Or the bottom of the ocean?

Indian Ocean, yes. Others, not so much.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 03:33 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

rinasings2u wrote:

Um....not here and no, you can't count French cricket.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 16:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Humphrey wrote:

On the upside, I learned about this. I'll give a very belated woo!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 16:54 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Mazer wrote:
Humphrey wrote:

On the upside, I learned about this. I'll give a very belated woo!

:dymazer!: