FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 22:19

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iPod Questions
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 12:47 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

I started this thread since I didn't really think I needed to bother Ulkesh or smithee with such a trivial question in the "Help me Obi Wan Computer Nerds" thread. Anywho, here goes:

I want to rip my legally bought DVDs into a format I can use on my iPod. I searched Google and found a program called Handbrake that appears to do the job. Has anyone else used this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 16:44 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I haven't used that program, but I just rip the CD with Media Player or something and when I import them into iTunes it automatically converts them, then you can just erase the original mp3s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 22:21 

sldawgs wrote:
I haven't used that program, but I just rip the CD with Media Player or something and when I import them into iTunes it automatically converts them, then you can just erase the original mp3s.

I have no problem importing music from my CDs, it's the video from DVDs I'm interested in importing. Video seems to be handled differently by the iTunes program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 22:56 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

I have no problem importing music from my CDs, it's the video from DVDs I'm interested in importing. Video seems to be handled differently by the iTunes program.

I recently got Pocket DVD Wizard for my Zune. It supports a number of devices. So far the only thing I have put on the Zune is "Trials and Tribbleations" but it's pretty good, I had to fiddle with the framerate a bit to get it to run smoothly. My only complaint so far (i've only had it for a couple days) is that it takes a long time to copy stuff. It offers a free trial that lets you copy 5 minutes of something. I don't know of any programs that can actually rip from a dvd due to copy protection, so these programs pretty much record it while it's playing. Since it's not ripping the quality is not going to be the same. Process for "Trials and Tribbleations" was for a 45 minute episode the first step took about an hour/hour-and-a-half and then the second step took about another hour. If one were to copy something like Pirates of the Caribbean I could see it taking about 8 hours with this program. There may be something better that's specifically for the iPod though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 23:00 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

I use PQ DVD to iPod Converter to convert DVD movies to iPod format. It works brilliantly, and the finished product looks quite good, even on the small video iPod screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 02:53 

Nunis wrote:
I use PQ DVD to iPod Converter to convert DVD movies to iPod format. It works brilliantly, and the finished product looks quite good, even on the small video iPod screen.

A few follow-up questions on this product:

1) Is it a one button type of process or do I have to complete multiple steps in order to get my video/audio into an acceptable format?

2) Have you tried playing any of the video onto a larger screen from your iPod? If so, is it decent quality on the larger screen?

3) Approximately how long does it take to rip a 2-hour DVD movie?

4) Does it maintain the chapter breaks and does that work on your iPod? I have yet to see a downloaded episode of Lost or Heroes where this feature works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 04:11 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Batman wrote:
Nunis wrote:

1) Is it a one button type of process or do I have to complete multiple steps in order to get my video/audio into an acceptable format?

2) Have you tried playing any of the video onto a larger screen from your iPod? If so, is it decent quality on the larger screen?

4) Does it maintain the chapter breaks and does that work on your iPod? I have yet to see a downloaded episode of Lost or Heroes where this feature works.

1) I haven't done it in a while, but far as I remember, yes, pretty much.

2) I have tried them on our 42" plasma. It's decent. Especially if you convert at the higher quality settings.

3) A regular 2-hour movie at regular decent-enough-for-iPod quality settings takes just under 2 hours. You have to count on the movie's actual running time, give or take.

4) No, the iPod doesn't keep chapter breaks for video. You can set it to remember where you paused, but there are no traditional chapter stops as that info isn't encoded. You don't get the menu when you convert to iPod. You just get the main audio and the video feeds. "Chapter stops" only work for podcasts created on a Mac.

Why don't you try the trial version yourself, and see how it works for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 13:41 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Nunis wrote:
Batman wrote:
Nunis wrote:

1) I haven't done it in a while, but far as I remember, yes, pretty much.

2) I have tried them on our 42" plasma. It's decent. Especially if you convert at the higher quality settings.

3) A regular 2-hour movie at regular decent-enough-for-iPod quality settings takes just under 2 hours. You have to count on the movie's actual running time, give or take.

4) No, the iPod doesn't keep chapter breaks for video. You can set it to remember where you paused, but there are no traditional chapter stops as that info isn't encoded. You don't get the menu when you convert to iPod. You just get the main audio and the video feeds. "Chapter stops" only work for podcasts created on a Mac.

Why don't you try the trial version yourself, and see how it works for you?

I have PQ DVD too and The Nunis is dead on. You can up the video settings to three different TV quality settings. Sorry I didn't read the question better before or I would have told you about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 10:36 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

Nunis wrote:

Does this work for .avi files as well? I'm guessing not. What is a good (available for free or trial) program for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 10:39 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

bratzks wrote:
Nunis wrote:

Does this work for .avi files as well? I'm guessing not. What is a good (available for free or trial) program for that?

WinFF is simple and does the job. Free, too.

Alternatively, PQ iPod Movie Video Converter works too, but it ain't free.

WinFF would be my choice if I was on a PC, which I ain't, so I can choose better programs. :tongue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 12:23 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

I use Handbrake for my DVD -> iPod ripping needs:

Batman wrote:

There are various preset configurations or you can tweak all the settings yourself. I use the "IPod Hi-Rez" config. and that works just fine.

Batman wrote:

Yep, I play Handbrake-ripped movies on my 46" and they look good.

Batman wrote:

For me, about 2 hours per -- that's with two-pass h.264 encoding, 1.5 Mbps and a two-year old MacBook. Similar process on a MacBook Pro takes about 30 minutes.

Batman wrote:

If you choose the option, it will preserve chapters and does a good job (on the iPod there's a little stripe on the progress bar for each chapter break).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 12:32 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Philip wrote:
I use Handbrake for my DVD -> iPod ripping needs

As do I, but I wasn't aware it's available for Windows too (also, when the question was first posted, I didn't yet own a Mac). You learn something every day.

Well in that case, I'll just agree with everything Philip just said. That's what I do too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2008, 14:21 

Cool. Danke Schoen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 01:24 

Nunis wrote:
bratzks wrote:
Nunis wrote:

WinFF would be my choice if I was on a PC, which I ain't, so I can choose better programs. :tongue:

Nunis turned me onto the WinFF for switching avi files to an iPod format. It works great. I swapped over multiple seasons of Heroes, Lost, The Office and Extras with no complaint.

Philip wrote:
I use Handbrake for my DVD -> iPod ripping needs...

Thanks, Buff. I'll give that a shot. I haven't yet tried ripping one of my DVDs. I've only converted downloaded avi files. Arrrrr, matey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 02:06 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
Nunis wrote:
bratzks wrote:
Nunis wrote:

Nunis turned me onto the WinFF for switching avi files to an iPod format. It works great. I swapped over multiple seasons of Heroes, Lost, The Office and Extras with no complaint.

Philip wrote:
I use Handbrake for my DVD -> iPod ripping needs...

Thanks, Buff. I'll give that a shot. I haven't yet tried ripping one of my DVDs. I've only converted downloaded avi files. Arrrrr, matey.

So where do you get your multiple seasons of yada yada yada in avi format?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 02:08 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

BubbyChubs wrote:
Batman wrote:
I haven't yet tried ripping one of my DVDs. I've only converted downloaded avi files. Arrrrr, matey.

If you have to ask...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 02:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nunis wrote:
BubbyChubs wrote:
Batman wrote:
I haven't yet tried ripping one of my DVDs. I've only converted downloaded avi files. Arrrrr, matey.

If you have to ask...

You're right

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 03:08 

BubbyChubs wrote:
Nunis wrote:
BubbyChubs wrote:
Batman wrote:

If you have to ask...

You're right

Batman wrote:
Arrrrr, matey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 08:53 

Winff worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 19:00 

Nunis wrote:
bratzks wrote:
Nunis wrote:

What do you use on the Mac? I use iSquint which I love. Drag in the file, set the quality ("Go Nuts"), optimize for TV, add to iTunes, bang, done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 22:37 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Philip wrote:
Nunis wrote:
bratzks wrote:
Nunis wrote:

What do you use on the Mac? I use iSquint which I love. Drag in the file, set the quality ("Go Nuts"), optimize for TV, add to iTunes, bang, done.

Yep, me too. Although when I'm just converting for the iPod, I settle on: Drag in the file, set the quality ("High"), add to iTunes, bang, done.

Post subject: Re: iPod Questions
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 18:15 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

For all you iTouch users out there... I'm looking into getting one on Black Friday (if I can find any deals... otherwise I'll probably just buy one full price) (dawgs, I know I asked you before but I forgot the answer)

What size iTouch do you have? What's the average capacity for it?

I know there are just the three: 8GB 16GB 32GB (I think) I know the answer for songs (my 1MB Shuffle holds about 300 songs), but I'm not sure how many 22-minute shows, 45-minute shows, 2 hour movies, etc the different iTouches hold....

I'm wondering if I should just go for the 32GB and treat myself before the mortgage payments start in '09 or if one of the other ones would suffice.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 18:23 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I have a 16GB that I use mainly for video and on it I currently have:
435 songs, 70 music videos and 20 of the 48 minute TV shows
amd I still have about a Gig of empty space.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 02:33 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

I also have the 16GB version, but if I had to buy one now, I'd get the 32GB, no questions (it wasn't available back in September 07 when I bought mine).

I currently have about 1600 songs (8GB), 14 40-minute TV shows (2GB), a few hundred photos (200MB), a few dozen applications (800MB) and I've about 3GB free.

This is unusual however. Usually I have 10GB music, 1GB of apps, photos and 'other', and then I cram 3-4GB of video on there.

I'd still like the freedom to be able to put ALL my music on there, but that's not gonna happen. The 32GB is sweetest, but you can get pretty far with the 16GB.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 17:01 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

I guess that's one thing I didn't think about... I have almost 26 GB of music, so I could carry EVERYthing around with me plus some video if I get the 32...

Decisions decisions...