FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 20:58

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: iPod Questions
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 17:09 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Agrajag wrote:
I guess that's one thing I didn't think about... I have almost 26 GB of music, so I could carry EVERYthing around with me plus some video if I get the 32...

Decisions decisions...

What decision? The 32 has twice the memory, for not twice the price. $100 more and you double your memory.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 23:38 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

sldawgs wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
I guess that's one thing I didn't think about... I have almost 26 GB of music, so I could carry EVERYthing around with me plus some video if I get the 32...

Decisions decisions...

What decision? The 32 has twice the memory, for not twice the price. $100 more and you double your memory.

Mathematically, it makes perfect sense...

In reality, I do have the mortgage payments starting in about a month, and bills should probably start coming soon too... Plus Christmas gifts for other people...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008, 18:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I am looking at the Ipod Nano 4th Gen. for some Christmas gifts. Seems a lot of people have trouble with the shake feature though (accelerator or something like that changing the song with too much movement?). Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 21:15 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Not sure if this is a problem I can fix, or if it's just a bug with the old-school iPod Shuffle or what, but I figured I'd ask here...

I have the old iPod Shuffle

After I listen to Podcasts and random Genius playlists (or before Genius, just random songs), I would dock the iPod into my laptop to delete the old songs and add new ones.

About 50% of the time, the Last Played Date would update to that day (when I plugged the iPod into the laptop) and the Play Counts would increment--this was an easy way for me to see how many of the songs I listened to and which ones to leave on. The other 50% of the time, Last Played and the Play Counts wouldn't change at all.

It's a minor annoyance with my Podcasts (iTunes tells me there are some unlistened-to Podcasts when there really aren't)--an annoyance I can easily fix by playing the Podcast for a second and then stopping it.

However, I'm starting to wonder if there is more Genius could do if I had a more accurate Master Playlist, with higher Play Counts, etc.

As I googled for help, I found some boards talking about the iPod Shuffle not having an internal clock, so it had no way to update Last Played--however I'm thinking iTunes eventually offered a fix because Last Played does update 50% of the time (however, because there's no clock, all songs have the date/minute the iPod was plugged into the computer).

Anyone have better Google-skillz or know of a way to get my iTunes Library to update every time? Or is it just time to go buy that iTouch and get rid of this Shuffle?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 00:56 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Agrajag wrote:
Or is it just time to go buy that iTouch and get rid of this Shuffle?

It's time to upgrade, buddy. Not necessarily to an iPod Touch, but you can't be stuck with a 4-year-old iPod and expect it to work flawlessly with iTunes. Apple generally just give up on the old models after a while. I have a 2nd generation Shuffle which I only use when I exercise and it's fine for that purpose, but I wouldn't use it as my primary iPod.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 21:28 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

OK... Another thing that had annoyed me before the iTouch FAILed was the artwork connected to some of my music.

99% of my iTunes library was uploaded from my CD collection. A lot of the music is without album artwork and some of the albums have really wrong artwork (by Pulp Fiction Soundtrack has some cover with a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern on it, my Chicago Soundtrack has some "Chicago Blues" album).

I haven't really used iTunes much, but is there some easy way to get better, correct artwork? I somehow have the "Just Add Whiskey" artwork but I can't remember if I uploaded that or maybe Nunis just imbedded the artwork herself into the songs...

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 23:52 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Agrajag wrote:
OK... Another thing that had annoyed me before the iTouch FAILed was the artwork connected to some of my music.

99% of my iTunes library was uploaded from my CD collection. A lot of the music is without album artwork and some of the albums have really wrong artwork (by Pulp Fiction Soundtrack has some cover with a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern on it, my Chicago Soundtrack has some "Chicago Blues" album).

I haven't really used iTunes much, but is there some easy way to get better, correct artwork? I somehow have the "Just Add Whiskey" artwork but I can't remember if I uploaded that or maybe Nunis just imbedded the artwork herself into the songs...

The easiest way is to highlight all the songs in an album, and then right click and choose Get Album Artwork. If you music is tagged correctly with artist and album name, most albums will have artwork which is then downloaded.

Or you could GIS for an image, right click on that, choose copy ("Copy Image" in Firefox). Then go to iTunes, highlight the songs you want to apply the image to, right click, choose Get Info. In the little artwork box, hit ctrl-V to paste in your copied image.

In most cases when I take stuff from my library and share it with others, it does have the album artwork with it. However, this is not guaranteed.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 01:35 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Nunis wrote:
Agrajag wrote:

The easiest way is to highlight all the songs in an album, and then right click and choose Get Album Artwork. If you music is tagged correctly with artist and album name, most albums will have artwork which is then downloaded.

Or you could GIS for an image, right click on that, choose copy ("Copy Image" in Firefox). Then go to iTunes, highlight the songs you want to apply the image to, right click, choose Get Info. In the little artwork box, hit ctrl-V to paste in your copied image.

When I need to do this, I typically go to Amazon and drag the relevant image from the page to the artwork box.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 02:20 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Philip wrote:
When I need to do this, I typically go to Amazon and drag the relevant image from the page to the artwork box.

I sometimes do this, but I find that Amazon often have a lot of white padding surrounding their artwork images. I usually do a Google Image Search, and if I'm feeling ambitious, I copy a high-res one into Photoshop, save it as something like 600x600 and then drag that jpg into the artwork box in iTunes.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 06:53 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Nunis wrote:
Philip wrote:

I sometimes do this, but I find that Amazon often have a lot of white padding surrounding their artwork images. I usually do a Google Image Search, and if I'm feeling ambitious, I copy a high-res one into Photoshop, save it as something like 600x600 and then drag that jpg into the artwork box in iTunes.

I love to use Snip It in these situations. It is a program in Windows Vista (don't laugh). When you use it you highlight an area on the screen, no matter what it is and Snip It will then save it as a jpeg or png file. Then I don't have to go to Photoshop and crop it down to size. Works great on the Amazon white space problem. I also use this to get all my DVD screen captures.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 06:57 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

sldawgs wrote:
I love to use Snip It in these situations. It is a program in Windows Vista (don't laugh). When you use it you highlight an area on the screen, no matter what it is and Snip It will then save it as a jpeg or png file. Then I don't have to go to Photoshop and crop it down to size. Works great on the Amazon white space problem. I also use this to get all my DVD screen captures.

On a Mac there's a keyboard shortcut built in that does this. :tongue:

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 18:21 

Nunis wrote:
Philip wrote:

I sometimes do this, but I find that Amazon often have a lot of white padding surrounding their artwork images.

Yeah, that is a nuisance. It used to bother me but now I just live with. I've already wasted enough of my life being OCD with my ITunes library.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 01:42 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Philip wrote:
Nunis wrote:
Philip wrote:

I sometimes do this, but I find that Amazon often have a lot of white padding surrounding their artwork images.

Yeah, that is a nuisance. It used to bother me but now I just live with. I've already wasted enough of my life being OCD with my ITunes library.

What? One can never waste enough of one's life being OCD with iTunes.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 08:30 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Nunis wrote:
Philip wrote:
Nunis wrote:
Philip wrote:

What? One can never waste enough of one's life being OCD with iTunes.

Yeah... I'm finding a lot of bugs in library... not looking forward to fixing them all

Thanks for the help with the artwork... seems to be working

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 20:19 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

I'm having problems syncing my iTouch... Under the Music tab, you can either Sync Music "All songs and playlists" or "Selected playlists"

How can I simply link all songs and not the playlists (I'm assuming this duplicates songs and eats up space)

I think when I first synced it last week, it made a playlist "Keith's iTouch Selection" but it apparently doesn't automatically update when new songs are added... Is there a way I can make that playlist auto-update and then I'll sync just the one playlist?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 00:57 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Playlists don't duplicate songs. The songs are just on the iPod once -- the playlist is just a reference to which order to play songs in.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 16:25 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Nunis wrote:
Playlists don't duplicate songs. The songs are just on the iPod once -- the playlist is just a reference to which order to play songs in.

:iws:

tytN

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 23:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

So I'm thinking of getting an iPod. I would use it mostly for music and movies. I see the iPod Classic 120 GB is priced at $237.50. The iTouch 16GB is $300.00 and the iTouch 32GB is $400.00. With the amount of extra memory you can get with the Classic for much less, I'm having a hard time looking at the iTouch. I know it has wifi capabilities and a larger screen, but what else will I miss if I go for the cheaper (larger memory) Classic? Please keep in mind, I'm not looking for a phone/camera, so the iPhone doesn't seem worth it to me. Is 120 GB just way too much memory? Will the 32GB serve me well? Is the smaller Classic screen too small to watch movies while traveling? Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 01:57 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

mmmmm movies wrote:
So I'm thinking of getting an iPod. I would use it mostly for music and movies. I see the iPod Classic 120 GB is priced at $237.50. The iTouch 16GB is $300.00 and the iTouch 32GB is $400.00. With the amount of extra memory you can get with the Classic for much less, I'm having a hard time looking at the iTouch. I know it has wifi capabilities and a larger screen, but what else will I miss if I go for the cheaper (larger memory) Classic? Please keep in mind, I'm not looking for a phone/camera, so the iPhone doesn't seem worth it to me. Is 120 GB just way too much memory? Will the 32GB serve me well? Is the smaller Classic screen too small to watch movies while traveling? Thanks for the feedback.

I've got a 30G classic iPod. I like it because I can load all my music in about 2-3GB and then use the rest for TV seasons. You can load quite a few series up. I've currently got a couple of seasons of "The Office", the current season of "Heroes", the first season of "Lost", eight episodes of "The Watchmen" motion comic, and a few movies including The Dark Knight and Wall-E. I'm always pretty close to being full - I'm probably sitting at around 25-27G - but I think I've got plenty of content at any one time. Personally I think 30G is plenty for what I like. I think 16G could be sufficient, but you'd need to spend more time thinking what you don't need to carry around. Also, I do find the smaller screen insufficient for some movies and TV shows. It's tough enough to read the subtitles when Hiro and Ando are talking and those are some of the easiest "sub"titles to read.

I think I'd recommend getting the iTouch with the larger screen and splurge for the 32G version. The WiFi thing is also a plus. Even if you don't think you'd use it, it's got to be nice to have the option.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 02:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I just got the 16Gb iPhone, which is essentially an iTouch with phone function. I've had it for five days (I also have an old 30Gb iPod video) and seriously love it. It's just so much more fun than the classic iPod. I also don't see why one should ever feel the need for 120Gb's of MP3 storage. I'd say you go for the 32 gig iTouch, if you can miss the extra cash.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 06:25 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I conquer. If you are going to use it for a lot of video get the iTouch. I have a 16G and it holds over 20 hours of video and more music then I can listen to in one day. I also have an old 160G Classic and the screen size makes a major difference. I would love to have a 32 but 16 fits my needs nicely. But as I said earlier:
sldawgs wrote:

It all depends on your budget.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 12:15 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

More conquering here... When I saw a friend's 16GB iTouch and the big screen, I knew I wanted one.... I didn't even realize the price difference for the larger iPod classics until after I purchased the 32GB iTouch, but even had I known before I would have gone for the Touch... The screen clarity is just fantastic, and I believe it could be the funnest iPod ever.

I love the fact that I can carry my entire CD collection with me wherever and still have room for some videos. If I want to put movies on it (don't have any yet), I'd probably have to delete some music, but the 32GB was worth the extra $100 just to be able to carry all 6200 songs around with me everywhere.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 14:58 

Tune Up -- adds song, album, & artist titles and covert art; fixes "Arcade Fire, The" / "The Arcade Fire" / "Arcade Fire" inconsistencies (e.g.), etc.

(or so they claim -- I haven't tried it)

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 02:25 

I got my wife an iPhone for Christmas and was wondering if anyone here uses a program which allows free POP mail servers to be linked to Outlook or other such programs. I know there's a program called YPOPs! out there. Has anyone ever used that or something similar?

Yes, I do realize she can just use Safari to navigate ot the Yahoo! web page, but I thought it might be more convenient to use something like this. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 05:35 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

alan smithee wrote:
Tune Up -- adds song, album, & artist titles and covert art; fixes "Arcade Fire, The" / "The Arcade Fire" / "Arcade Fire" inconsistencies (e.g.), etc.

(or so they claim -- I haven't tried it)

I tried it, and it works brilliantly.

My library is pretty clean though (as you might expect) so I doubt I'll purchase the full version. All the same, I'm impressed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next