FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 16:33

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 10:43 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Steel Frog wrote:
OK, here's what's buggin me today: why did Draco Malfoy get to lead a full life? WTF?

I don't know how it works in English law or Wizard law, but American law sez if you plot, have intent, take action and somebody gets killed, that's Murder 1. Who got killed and whether or not you pulled the trigger are irrelevant. That's M1 for both Dumbledore and Crabbe/Goyle (I forget which one dies). In the very least you have conspiracy or abetting charges. You also have kidnapping/torture charges for several different people locked in the Malfoy compound.

Hell, having that damn tattoo alone means conspiracy to murder. In the US, that's the chair. In Texas, that's the chair several times over.

That's all forgiven because it turns out he was too much of a pussy to finish off Dumbledore or "he wasn't so evil after all". Good luck getting that to stick.

The Whoville townsfolk may forgive the Grinch, but I've still got him on several B&E charges.

He was 17, still underage, damn liberal wizards blocked the petition to try him as an adult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 11:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

sldawgs wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
OK, here's what's buggin me today: why did Draco Malfoy get to lead a full life? WTF?

I don't know how it works in English law or Wizard law, but American law sez if you plot, have intent, take action and somebody gets killed, that's Murder 1. Who got killed and whether or not you pulled the trigger are irrelevant. That's M1 for both Dumbledore and Crabbe/Goyle (I forget which one dies). In the very least you have conspiracy or abetting charges. You also have kidnapping/torture charges for several different people locked in the Malfoy compound.

Hell, having that damn tattoo alone means conspiracy to murder. In the US, that's the chair. In Texas, that's the chair several times over.

That's all forgiven because it turns out he was too much of a pussy to finish off Dumbledore or "he wasn't so evil after all". Good luck getting that to stick.

The Whoville townsfolk may forgive the Grinch, but I've still got him on several B&E charges.

He was 17, still underage, damn liberal wizards blocked the petition to try him as an adult.

BULLSHIT!!!

17 is NOT underage in the wizarding world!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 11:16 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

TK421 wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

BULLSHIT!!!

17 is NOT underage in the wizarding world!!!

Oh yeah, forgot. Umm...you got me. I have no idea.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 13:49 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Ok, yes. I just finished a re-read. This post may be spoilerific if you'd forgetten stuff and were planning on a reread soon. I'd forgotten a bunch of elements, including the sender of the doe Patronus which lead to the sword, so it was nice (and slightly tearful) to rediscover some of that stuff.

But, here's my issue this time: Snape. Particularly the question prposed by Frog, via JJ
JJ wrote:
So, if Snape were with the bad guys all along, could he have done any worse than he actually did? This whole grand plan between him and Dumbledore seemed, frankly, dumb. Why not just have him use his powers for good and fight the fight?

Yes! They spend all this time and effort keeping him in good with the bad guys (killing Dumbledore, revealing the date of Harry's departure), but there's no real use to having him in Voldemort's circle in Hallows. No one gains anything from it. The one mention made is that Snape had to keep being Headmaster so the school wouldn't be turned over the Carrows, but given what we heard about happening there, I'm not sure how things could have been that much worse.

I'm guessing that Snape couldn't contact the Order because no one would believe his intentions anymore, but he should have done something to bring Voldemort down from the inside. Ideally, one of the Horcruxes should have been his to destroy. It would have been great if it had been Nagini, when Voldemort used it to kill Snape. The outcome still could have been the same - Voldemort tries to use Nagini, but Snape kills it (her?), so Voldemort kills Snape for his betrayal. Of course, that would have deprived Neville of his shining moment of glory which I wouldn't want to do. But my point is that it would have been nice to see Snape do something else which directly worked against Voldemort, rather than just helping Harry along (and yes, I realize that helping Harry hurts Voldemort, but I wanted something a little more...showdown-y). As it was his death seemed kind of random and lame, I wish there had been a bit more glory in it, since I do feel for him in the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9