FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 01:19

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 05:16 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

I can't believe it's over. I can't digest this. I haven't slept for almost two days, but I thought you'd all like to know that I made it through alive.

I can't even tell you how I feel yet, that will come when this overwhelming feeling settles down.

I can tell you, however, that I have had the most tumultuous weekend ever. Now, where is my bed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 08:00 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Finished last night. Liked the set-up more than the conclusion. And I'd have been altogether better off ignoring the Epilogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 13:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

aaaand..... done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 15:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Me too. Although it'll probably take me another 24 hrs to get over the damn eye strain. Aging sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 19:16 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:
Have you guys seen the "Hermione dies on page 762" shirts already being sold?

I can't believe how some people can be such assholes.

I saw this mid-book, and got really pissed that I ruined it. But apparently you were just being a huge lying jerk. My fault, though.

I loved the book. It was the best of the series by far, and answered all the questions so well. So many great parts (the Malfoy's place, Gringotts, the final battle, and especially the part in the Room of Requirement with the three and Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle) will make this an awesome movie - hopefully. I'm sad that it's over, but she could've written a better ending - the epilogue was pretty weak. I especially liked how she resolved Snape, and made him a hero. All in all, this has been a one of a kind series, and I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again. It actually got me to read, and that's something. She couldn't've done anything better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2007, 21:33 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Jimothy wrote:
All in all, this has been a one of a kind series, and I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.

I'm going to disagree, even without having read the books. The idea of a fantasy series stirring up interest in reading is nothing new, what with Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia both being precursors to Harry Potter. Who's to say that in the future an even better series won't be written? In fact, I'd go so far as to say an even better series will almost certainly be written. After all, we're standing on the shoulders of giants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 03:14 
Key Grip
Key Grip

Have to agree, I really do believe that there IS going to be another Harry Potter book, not necessarly about Harry, but what about his kids, or a pre-curser to what it was like before he was 11?

I am only 200 pages in of the Deathly Hallows, but am already looking forward to the evenings when I am able to read that little bit more.

Don't yet know how many of my predictions have rung true, and won't want to until I have read the book fully.

Will Nunis be putting up the answers to the questions she posed, and comparing them to the thoughts people have had. Because if you do Nunis, please, please, please don't do so for another week at least. PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 05:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Impman wrote:
Have to agree, I really do believe that there IS going to be another Harry Potter book, not necessarly about Harry, but what about his kids, or a pre-curser to what it was like before he was 11?

I am only 200 pages in of the Deathly Hallows, but am already looking forward to the evenings when I am able to read that little bit more.

Don't yet know how many of my predictions have rung true, and won't want to until I have read the book fully.

Will Nunis be putting up the answers to the questions she posed, and comparing them to the thoughts people have had. Because if you do Nunis, please, please, please don't do so for another week at least. PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!

Well, or you can stay out of the thread, because I'm pretty curious what her thoughts are. I'm finishing the book after work (only 50 pages or so to go), so I'm all for discussions later on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 05:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I finished this in one day (helps to sprain both ankles the day before it comes out).

Loved the ending, I would have felt something was slightly missing without the epilogue.

All in all, I think she rounded things out rather nicely.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 05:26 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

THIS IS A SPOILER, IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO STILL BE READING THIS THREAD.

Nunis wrote:
Horcruxes

So, as far as we know anyway, Voldemort has split his soul into seven pieces. Here's a breakdown:

1. The one still residing inside Voldemort
2. The diary (destroyed)
3. Gaunt's ring (destroyed)
4. The locket from the cave (more on this later)
5. The cup of Hufflepuff
6. Unknown
7. Unknown

So, we know what Horcruxes 6 and 7 were. But was Horcrux number 1 Voldemort, or the snake? This seemed not so well explained by the book.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 05:39 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
THIS IS A SPOILER, IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO STILL BE READING THIS THREAD.

Nunis wrote:
Horcruxes

So, as far as we know anyway, Voldemort has split his soul into seven pieces. Here's a breakdown:

1. The one still residing inside Voldemort
2. The diary (destroyed)
3. Gaunt's ring (destroyed)
4. The locket from the cave (more on this later)
5. The cup of Hufflepuff
6. Unknown
7. Unknown

So, we know what Horcruxes 6 and 7 were. But was Horcrux number 1 Voldemort, or the snake? This seemed not so well explained by the book.

I haven't read the end yet, but I pretty much get the picture (there won't be many surprises around Harry, Voldemort or Horcruxes, I think). I think there were actually 8 horcruxes, since Voldemort never really realised he made the 8th one, instead of the magical number 7. So Voldemort and Nagini both were horcruxes (or contained part of his soul: strictly speaking Voldemort himself wasn't a horcrux)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 06:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

come on then - who died? Tell me tell me

'Hedonism is the new procreation'

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 06:45 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just finished reading it. Meant to finish it earlier, but my damned social life got in the way ;) I'm not going to apologise for spoilers, because if you come in here and read them before finishing the book then that's your own stupid fault.

I cried more than once during reading it, and sobbed for a good five minutes during The Princes Tale and The Forest Again chapters. I really thought she was going to kill Harry off, so I was relieved that he lived. And I'll freely admit to crying when Hedwig was killed, but I can see why she had to die - she would have been pretty much useless in this book.

Such a good book, and finally so many loose ends tied up. I'm really sad that the series has come to an end. Kinda liked the epilogue, although I would have preferred Harry to have ended up with Luna (even though it was obvious he was going to marry Ginny). Wonder what happened to Miss Lovegood?

I think Horcruxes 6 and 7 were the diadem tiara thing and Harry himself. Voldemort was unaware that he had created a seventh Horcrux when he attempted to kill the baby Harry. Was there actually and eighth Horcrux? Was there actually one inside Voldemort or was Nagini his Horcrux? I got the impression that after Nagini had been killed by Neville then Voldemort was mortal as all the fragments of his soul had been destroyed.

I'll have to read the book again to digest it properly.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 06:50 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

SPOILER: JJ GOT THROUGH THE BOOK WITHOUT CRYING.

Wikipedia, which never lies, mentions Nagini as a Horcrux, but not Voldy. So that would mean 7 outside of his body.

I never saw Nagini explicitly mentioned as one in the book, though of course I could be wrong. Rowling isn't terribly clear on details at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 06:58 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
SPOILER: JJ GOT THROUGH THE BOOK WITHOUT CRYING.

Wikipedia, which never lies, mentions Nagini as a Horcrux, but not Voldy. So that would mean 7 outside of his body.

I never saw Nagini explicitly mentioned as one in the book, though of course I could be wrong. Rowling isn't terribly clear on details at times.

I do believe she specifically says the snake is one at some point, I just cant remember where.

I see the horcruxes as being layers of defense for Voldy. Without them removed you can never truely kill him. With them removed, Voldy gets moldy. Therefor I dont believe he can be one himself.

BTW, a spoiler is something no one knows. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 07:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Eric Draven wrote:
Jimothy wrote:
All in all, this has been a one of a kind series, and I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.

I'm going to disagree, even without having read the books. The idea of a fantasy series stirring up interest in reading is nothing new, what with Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia both being precursors to Harry Potter. Who's to say that in the future an even better series won't be written? In fact, I'd go so far as to say an even better series will almost certainly be written. After all, we're standing on the shoulders of giants.

I definitely agree with that, but I meant it on a more personal level - I don't think I'll ever be excited for the release of a book for a long time, if ever. These are the only books I've ever wanted to read. Maybe that'll change, but these were pretty unique. Also, I grew up with them, and have been reading them for ten years. I don't want to sound cheesy, but it's pretty great when one book (series) can get a whole generation of kids to like reading again. I don't think Rings or Narnia did that (did it?), at least to this extent. I guess it could happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 07:10 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

what's that? wrote:
come on then - who died? Tell me tell me

Big Ass Spoliers wrote:
This was stolen off the net. Seems about right, but page numbers may be wrong:

Burbage Dies pg12
Hedwig Dies pg56
(Ed. Note: George loses an ear during this battle at the hands of Snape, who wasn't aiming at him we find out later)
Mad-Eye Dies pg78
Scrimgeour Dies pg159
Wormtail Dies pg471
Dobby Dies pg476
Tonks Dies pg?? (Ed. note: dies during the Battle of Hogwarts; we see the body but don't get the details of death)
Colin Creevey Dies
Lupin Dies pg?? (Ed. note: dies during the Battle of Hogwarts; we see the body but don't get the details of death)
Fred Dies pg637
Voldemort kills Snape pg656-658 (Ed. note: Snape gets hanked by Nagini)
Mrs. Weasley kills Bellatrix Lestrange pg736
Harry kills Voldemort pg744
Sorting Hat is Torched by Voldemort
Snape was Voldemort's Spy the whole time and they planned Dumbledore's Death (Ed. note: while dying, Snape gives Potter his memories to reveal in Pensieve; that's how we know all this crap)

(More spoilers:

Aside from the list on page 1, the sixth Horcrux is the diadem of Rawena Ravenclaw -- it's the crown that Harry had left in the Room of Requirement to help him find the location of the potions textbook; the seventh Horcrux is Harry himself, created by accident during his parents' death. Wikipedia says that Nagini is a Horcrux; that seems implied but I'm not sure I found that explicitly stated anywhere.

There are three Deathly Hallows. Together they form a symbol of an equilateral triangle with a circle inside that and a vertical line that bisects the triangle and splits the circle. These represent:

1) The line - the Elder Wand, Deathstick, etc., the most powerful wand in the world; turns out Dumbledore had it the whole time. Voldemort later horks it from Dumbledore's grave, but can't use all of its power, since the power of a wand largely goes to the person who stole it from its previous owner. Accordingly, Voldemort kills Snape. This doesn't help much, as the person who stole the wand from Albus was Draco Malfoy. But Harry steals Malfoy's other wand in this book, and so later can use the power of the Elder Wand.

Harry owns the wand at the end of the book and hides it, preferring to use his original wand (which breaks during the book and he finally repairs with the Elder Wand). If Harry dies of natural causes, the power of the Elder Wand largely dies with him.

2) The circle - the Resurrection Stone, that allows some regeneration of those who've died. Turns out that this stone was on the ring of the Horcrux destroyed by Dumbledore in Book 6. Dumbledore recognized the stone and put the ring on foolishly. Since the ring was cursed by Voldemort, this act poisoned him and caused his hand to wither. He had limited time to live, thus explaining why he and Snape hatched a plot to off himself.

Harry uses the ring toward the end of the book to communicate with the dead; they mainly serve as a Patronus-type protection against dementors. Harry drops the ring in the forest, and he vows at the end of the book not to seek it again.

3) The triangle - the Invisibility Cloak Harry had since book 1, passed on from James to Harry through Dumbledore, who was holding it the night Potter's parents were offed.

The cloak's used far too much in Book 7, and Harry keeps this at the end.

All three items are mentioned in a children's tale in a book willed from Dumbledore to Hermione. He also wills Harry the snitch from the first Quidditch game he won; this snitch turns out to contain the ring with the resurrection stone when openend.

The owner of the three Deathly Hallows (which seem to many to be an urban legend) is said to be invincible; Dumbledore spent much of his time chasing them.

After Voldemort hanks Harry with the Elder Wand (killing the Horcrux, but it turns out, not Harry), Harry meets Dumbledore in some netherworld which felt to me like the stupid subway seen in the second Matrix film. Much gets explained by Albus there.

Harry saves Malfoy in the Room of Requirement. Harry and Ron save Malfoy from a Death Eater later. Malfoy's mom saves Harry (after Voldemort 'kills' him, she pretends he's dead, and the Malfoys are spared later).

19 years later (epilogue) (Ed. Note: Shitty)
Harry marries Ginny Weasley, they have 3 kids, James, Albus (Ed. Note: Albus Severus Potter, and I think this was their first kid), Lily.
Ron marries Hermione, they have 2 kids, Hugo and Rose, and adopts Teddy (son of Tonks + Lupin)
Malfoy gets married and has a kid named Scorpius
Neville becomes a teacher.

Last edited by JJ on 23 Jul 2007, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 07:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Going back into the Horcrux debate:

Voldemort was never a horcrux. A horcrux is merely something to hold a piece of the soul (strictly speaking, his own body could be said to do that too, but never mind that). He wanted his soul to be spread over seven different places, for seven is the most magic number. This does include his own body, but it never became a horcrux, since it was not artificial, so to speak.

Horcruxes:
1: Diary
2: Hufflepuff's cup
3: Ravenclaw's diadem
4: Slytherin's locket
5: Gaunt's ring
6: Nagini

And the last piece of soul being contained by his own body.
However, when he jinxed Harry, a seventh horcrux was accidentaly created, making the total amount of eight of pieces of soul.

Anyone disagree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 07:17 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:

Voldemort was never a horcrux. A horcrux is merely something to hold a piece of the soul (strictly speaking, his own body could be said to do that too, but never mind that). He wanted his soul to be spread over seven different places, for seven is the most magic number. This does include his own body, but it never became a horcrux, since it was not artificial, so to speak.

Horcruxes:

However, when he jinxed Harry, a seventh horcrux was accidentaly created, making the total amount of eight of pieces of soul.

Anyone disagree?

Sounds pretty dead on to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 07:33 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

jack's sally wrote:
Middle wrote:

Horcruxes:

Anyone disagree?

Sounds pretty dead on to me.

I think it's great that he had so much soul.

I'm not saying it's wrong, but one disagreement I have with this theory is that I recall some revelation in the book where they say to Harry "you are the seventh Horcrux" as if this number were known all along. They don't say "you're some mistake" as if Voldemort wasn't using a condom when he offed Harry's parents.

That seems to be a problem with any Horcrux theory, though.

If anyone has it, I'd also like some text where Nagini is explicitly proven to be a Horcrux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 09:04 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

BTW, I didn't see "Lies" mentioned again in the book after the two references above. Very disappointing, JK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 12:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Voldemort himself proved that Nagini was a Horcrux when he started using that protection bubble around it at the end: he knew he had to protect it at all costs since he had lost his other Horcruxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 12:10 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Ulkesh wrote:
Voldemort himself proved that Nagini was a Horcrux when he started using that protection bubble around it at the end: he knew he had to protect it at all costs since he had lost his other Horcruxes.

That seems to make some sense. Voldemort removing it later, less so. (We're supposed to believe he's that arrogant, I take it. Some of the luck that the good guys get in the book exceeds even Star Wars in its lack of believability nature.)

And a protective Bublé would have worked better. Hell if I'd have gone within 100 metres of such a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 14:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

JJ wrote:
Ulkesh wrote:

That seems to make some sense. Voldemort removing it later, less so. (We're supposed to believe he's that arrogant, I take it. Some of the luck that the good guys get in the book exceeds even Star Wars in its lack of believability nature.)

True, he is that arrogant--and also, he only takes Nagini out of her magic bubble when he a) thinks Harry is dead and b) thinks he possesses an undefeatable wand. He figures there's no threat to him anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 22:17 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Finally finished

While I was moderately pleased with the death count I would have liked it to be about 2x as high.

This was the first book in which I didn't hate any mention of house elves.

I would have liked more Luna.

The epilogue was dumb. High school relationships hardly ever work out and we're supposed to believe both Harry & (va)Ginny and Ron & Hermoine both stayed together 19 years? Talk about magic.

I was a lot more curious about what happened to George after Fred's death. Did he keep the store going or was his heart just not in it anymore? I also wondered what the ensuing years held for the surviving death eaters, particularly Bellatrix and the Malfoys.

How come Harry didn't have to care for Lupin's kid? He was the godfather, after all.

Still, it was a pretty excellent book and I wonder how long we'll have to wait for another saga this great to come along.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next