FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:05

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2003, 19:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Alright here are the instructions. Anyone can add to this as I am sure there are always easier ways but this is what works best for me and I generally turn out my gifs from start to finish in under 10 minutes so....

Things you Must Have

1. dvd Rom
2. a program like Powerdvd which will allow you to do screen captures
from the dvd. I believe Nunis uses Windvd for hers but my version of
Windvd will not do screen captures. You can get Powerdvd free
trial version here:
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28
3. ULead Gif Animator. Free trial version can be gotten here:
http://www.ulead.com/ga/runme.htm; Adobe ImageReady
can also be used (which again I think Nunis does) if your comfortable
with Adobe.
4. Somewhere or someone who will host your animated gifs.

Step 1:

First if you don't want pictures scattered all over your computer it's a good idea to create a new folder somewhere on your computer and just call it "dvd captures" or something like that. Now if you have a scene from a movie in mind you're wanting to use, pop the dvd in and open up Powerdvd program (or it'll open automatically). First go ahead and click on the Configuration icon in the Powerdvd remote panel thing. This is the icon with a hammer and nail on it. You should be under the "general tab". Click on the "advanced" button at the bottom and then click on the "Capture" tab. Make sure the "capture to file" selection is marked and then choose the destination folder you created in the first step that it will send them to.

Once youve done that play your movie and get to the start of your scene. Pause it then hit "c" on keyboard (this will capture that frame). Then you use the "step" button that will bring up the next frame. Just get a rhythm going with "step", "c", "step", "c", "step", "c"...etc... There will be no confirmation when your pressing "c" but just know that it is sending the frame to your folder. Depending on the scene you chose you'll probably wind up with around 50-150...anything more than 56 is far too many but don't worry about that at this point..get all the frames you can to ensure a smooth animation. Close powerdvd. Finished with Step 1.

Step 2:

Open up ULead Gif Animator. Click on the "Try" button then "Try More" or something like that. Then you'll click on the button to open up the "gif animation wizard". Next it will ask you about the canvas size. I just put in 120 for the width and it usually puts like 92 for the height automatically. Just use the 120 width cause I know it works. You'll then choose the option to "open image". Browse and find the folder you created for the screen captures. Highlight all the images. ULEAD WILL ONLY OPEN UP 56 IMAGES SO IF YOU TRY TO OPEN UP MORE IT WILL LEAVE SOME OUT. Just subtract 56 from your total images (and you wont have to count them, powerdvd numbers them as you capture). Hold "control" button and I just go in and click everyother image of every third one or something this will deselect them and not open them. Dont worry it wont affect the finished avatar if you did enough consecutive screen captures. Click to open the images you have still selected (up to 56). I believe this is the step where it will ask you to set the frame rate and how many frames per second. This was the hardest thing for me to learn. Now for all my gifs I just put in "1" for the top figure which tells it to display each frame for 1\100th of a sec. This will seem extremely fast but it will look right on screen for some reason. Alternatively you can put in "50" for the frames per second option. Both of these do the same thing.

ULEAD will open up and you will have a little piece of an image in the middle of the screen and all images will be in thumbnails on the right side. Hold "control" again and select all of the thumbnails on the right. Make sure all of them are selected. Go to "Edit" then go to "crop canvas". This serves no other purpose other than bring that little piece of image you see on your screen to its full frame, you dont actually crop the canvas. Then make sure all the thumbnails are still selected and go to "edit" again and click on "image size". Put in any value from 120-140 for the width- height will automatically adjust. If your gonna want to take out the Widescreen black bars later go ahead and go 140 width. This will bring all of your images to the right size for view on the filmwise forum usually. At this point you can click on the little preview tab in ULEAD and view how your animation looks. If you try to view it before bringing the size down it is going to look like crap and look really slow and choppy.

If your happy with the animation, go to File and Save it (you might want to create another folder for this labeled "Animated Gifs" or something for the finished avatars. If your not happy just close ULEAD and start over. Once you get it right one time though you'll have it and its really simple.

Step 3:

If you have Adobe ImageReady its a good idea to open it up and open up your animated gif in here. Then go to "file" and "preview in web browser". This will open up a web page with your animatedgif exactly how it will look on the forum and will tell you the size. TRY NOT TO GO OVER 400Kb give or take a few kb because this will make people like me with slow 56k modems have to wait forever for filmwise pages to load. If you have widescreen bars you want to take out just highlight all the thumbnails in Imageready and then crop the one on the screen to get rid of the black bars. Also if you need to bring the filesize down just highlight the thumbnails and go to "Image" and "Image Size" and bring it down more (again 120-140).

If you made any changes in ImageReady to the gif go to "File", "Save Optimized as" and name it again and save it.

Step Four

Find somwhere or somebody to host your animated gif for you and load it up to filmwise. Your done.

Yeah I know all this probably seems like a lot but its REALLY simply when your doing it. Like I said whole process can be done in 10 minutes. If your wanting to make your own just print out these instructions and you should have no problem. If you do have a problem or question just post it in here and me or someone will help you out. If you don't have a dvd rom or something but would like an animated gif, just pm what you would like and if I have the movie i'll hook you up whenever I have the time.

I gotta to give a lot of props to :D :D T me J :D :D !! She is the one who told me about ULEAD gif animator and gave me some instruction.
Also much props to :D :D Jeremy P :D :D for hooking me up with a place to host my avatars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2003, 00:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Thank you very much for this instruction!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2003, 01:41 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fishn4 wrote:
I gotta to give a lot of props to :D :D T me J :D :D !! She is the one who told me about ULEAD gif animator and gave me some instruction.

:oops: Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2003, 11:21 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Great instructions fishn4. As you said in your post, I do indeed use WinDVD and ImageReady... WinDVD is piss-easy as well, instead of 'C' you press 'P' and it works similarly. However, ImageReady can be a little tedious and take a lot of time if you're not familiar with Photoshop or ImageReady already, so I would recommend Ulead. I haven't tried it properly yet, but it looks easy enough.

Also if anyone ever needs hosting, just email your file to me, and I'll host it for you, no problem. I have way more space than I need anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2003, 14:04 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Does WinDVD enables capturing from mpeg or avi files as well? If not what other application can I use since I don't have a DVD Drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2003, 15:06 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

snotball wrote:
Does WinDVD enables capturing from mpeg or avi files as well? If not what other application can I use since I don't have a DVD Drive.

It does indeed... Anything that it'll play, it can make captures of. Aside from DVDs, I've had it play both .dat, .avi and .mpg files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2003, 08:30 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

Animated GIFs rule

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2003, 23:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:

You can load an avi or mpeg directly into Adobe ImageReady, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2003, 05:38 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

T me J wrote:
snotball wrote:

Ok, managed to do that with PowerDVD. Animated GIFs here I come

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2003, 09:03 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

T me J wrote:
snotball wrote:

Didn't know that - I may have to play with that this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2003, 21:57 
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Wish I could do this, but I don't have a DVD Rom. Don't really feel like spending 200-300 dollars quite yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2003, 05:00 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Someone can tell me where i cand find an internet site with animated gifs from movies....like yours..... I don't have dvd rom then I cry watching your awesome avatars :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2003, 05:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Tyler D. wrote:
Someone can tell me where i cand find an internet site with animated gifs from movies....like yours..... I don't have dvd rom then I cry watching your awesome avatars :cry: :cry:

http://www.yabbse.org

this generally has a few- they don't always work though.

We don't want your forgiveness. We won't make excuses. We're not gonna blame you, even if you are an accessory... But we will not except your natural order. We didn't come for absolution, we didn't ask to be redeemed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2003, 05:16 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Lazor78 wrote:
Tyler D. wrote:

http://www.yabbse.org

this generally has a few- they don't always work though.

Where I found nothing it's in englis then in german....I'A A FRANCAIS MOI.... :wink:

I think it will be great to create a personnal page of animated gifs from films where every body can post their works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2003, 07:44 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

How come all your avatars are so long? My Ulead only let's me use 50 frames, and to move smoothly this doesn't give me long. Or am I doing something wrong?

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2003, 09:26 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Great instructions, thanx a lot. Got my avatar made no probs. Only trouble i am having is getting the speed right. I am using Power DVD and Ulead as suggested. I have been capturing about 150 - 200 frames from dvd but only using every 3rd or so. I have set the upper number to 1 as instructed but it still seems very fast. Can i really only use 56 frames??

Ta

"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2003, 14:57 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Wow, that was easy! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2003, 16:21 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

gentle wrote:
Can i really only use 56 frames??

As far as I know, the evaluation version of Ulead only allows 56 frames. I also happen to know marla has the full version, so if you ask nicely... :)

Myself, I use Adobe Imageready which comes with Photoshop, and there's no limit to the number of frames you can use there. I am unsure what everyone else does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2003, 16:36 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

I have the full version of Ulead and it only allows me to have 50 frames, but I also have Adobe Imageready so I might have to learn how to use that properly.

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2003, 06:12 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

You can add as many frames as you like, as soon as you have your first few frames up. What I mean is, when you use the wizard, you just pick 20 or something frames. When you are then on the main window, where you work out your later avatar, you can choose "add image" (I think it is called like that) from "file". You can click on "add as new frames" or something like that in the "add image" window, so that you have your screen shots as new frames automatically. You can also add more frames manually on the "frames" section. If you don't really know, what I am talking about, try and search around a bit, because I don't know, if I have used all the right terms for what I wanted to say :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2003, 08:57 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

I'm using Gif Movie Gear and there's no limit to the number of frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2003, 10:44 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:
I'm using Gif Movie Gear and there's no limit to the number of frames.

Do you have a tutorial for making avatars??

"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2003, 12:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Gentle, I sent you a pm addressing the issue of adding more than 56 frames. If you will just copy and paste that in here so I don't have to type it up again. Basically the easiest way to do it with Ulead is to create two seperate avatars each with 50 or so frames. Load the first one then click on "add video" or "frames" at the top and check the box to distribute the second animation to individual frames. Got that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 May 2003, 00:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

THIS IS FISHN4'S REPLY ABOUT ANIMATED AVATAR FRAME RATE.

As you read I generally use "1"as the top number for frame rate. Sometimes I use "4". If they are going too fast, just try varying the frame rate. It realy depends on the scene you are using. If it's a really fast action scene like say Legolas firing off successive arrows, then you would of couse need to use "1" probably to keep it fast enough. On the other hand, if your doing something like Neo's laid back bullet time from Matrix, you would probably use like "15" or so.

Another thing though thats making them fast, is the fact that you are using every 3rd frame. I generally only cut out every other one just depending on the scene. Like if you have a lot of frames of someone's close up with little movement take out more of those as opposed to the big movement scenes where it will be noticable if something is left out. You follow?

And one more thing, the last thing I've been doing because i've been trying to do more complicated and\or longer scenes is getting like my 100-150 frames then making two different animations, open up the first one in Ulead then down at the bottom you will see something that says like "add more frames" or add video, click on that and attach the second animation to it. A box will come up asking you to distribute muiltiple frames to new frames and click yes or check the box or whatever. This makes the avatars a little bigger in file size, but I still try to stay in the 400-500 range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 May 2003, 03:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Every avatar i make with Ulead has "white dots" on the first few frames (see left) It never does it with Gif Movie Gear but the file sizes seem much larger. Anyone have any idea's please??

Thanx