FilmWise Forums
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 09:52

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2003, 10:58 
Director
Director

Just followed your excellent instructions to make my first animated gif!
Thanks Fishn4 and everyone else for the tips :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2004, 15:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fishn4 wrote:
Alright here are the instructions. Anyone can add to this as I am sure there are always easier ways but this is what works best for me and I generally turn out my gifs from start to finish in under 10 minutes so....

Things you Must Have

1. dvd Rom
2. a program like Powerdvd which will allow you to do screen captures
from the dvd. I believe Nunis uses Windvd for hers but my version of
Windvd will not do screen captures. You can get Powerdvd free
trial version here:
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28
3. ULead Gif Animator. Free trial version can be gotten here:
http://www.ulead.com/ga/runme.htm; Adobe ImageReady
can also be used (which again I think Nunis does) if your comfortable
with Adobe.
4. Somewhere or someone who will host your animated gifs.

Step 1:

First if you don't want pictures scattered all over your computer it's a good idea to create a new folder somewhere on your computer and just call it "dvd captures" or something like that. Now if you have a scene from a movie in mind you're wanting to use, pop the dvd in and open up Powerdvd program (or it'll open automatically). First go ahead and click on the Configuration icon in the Powerdvd remote panel thing. This is the icon with a hammer and nail on it. You should be under the "general tab". Click on the "advanced" button at the bottom and then click on the "Capture" tab. Make sure the "capture to file" selection is marked and then choose the destination folder you created in the first step that it will send them to.

Once youve done that play your movie and get to the start of your scene. Pause it then hit "c" on keyboard (this will capture that frame). Then you use the "step" button that will bring up the next frame. Just get a rhythm going with "step", "c", "step", "c", "step", "c"...etc... There will be no confirmation when your pressing "c" but just know that it is sending the frame to your folder. Depending on the scene you chose you'll probably wind up with around 50-150...anything more than 56 is far too many but don't worry about that at this point..get all the frames you can to ensure a smooth animation. Close powerdvd. Finished with Step 1.

Step 2:

Open up ULead Gif Animator. Click on the "Try" button then "Try More" or something like that. Then you'll click on the button to open up the "gif animation wizard". Next it will ask you about the canvas size. I just put in 120 for the width and it usually puts like 92 for the height automatically. Just use the 120 width cause I know it works. You'll then choose the option to "open image". Browse and find the folder you created for the screen captures. Highlight all the images. ULEAD WILL ONLY OPEN UP 56 IMAGES SO IF YOU TRY TO OPEN UP MORE IT WILL LEAVE SOME OUT. Just subtract 56 from your total images (and you wont have to count them, powerdvd numbers them as you capture). Hold "control" button and I just go in and click everyother image of every third one or something this will deselect them and not open them. Dont worry it wont affect the finished avatar if you did enough consecutive screen captures. Click to open the images you have still selected (up to 56). I believe this is the step where it will ask you to set the frame rate and how many frames per second. This was the hardest thing for me to learn. Now for all my gifs I just put in "1" for the top figure which tells it to display each frame for 1\100th of a sec. This will seem extremely fast but it will look right on screen for some reason. Alternatively you can put in "50" for the frames per second option. Both of these do the same thing.

ULEAD will open up and you will have a little piece of an image in the middle of the screen and all images will be in thumbnails on the right side. Hold "control" again and select all of the thumbnails on the right. Make sure all of them are selected. Go to "Edit" then go to "crop canvas". This serves no other purpose other than bring that little piece of image you see on your screen to its full frame, you dont actually crop the canvas. Then make sure all the thumbnails are still selected and go to "edit" again and click on "image size". Put in any value from 120-140 for the width- height will automatically adjust. If your gonna want to take out the Widescreen black bars later go ahead and go 140 width. This will bring all of your images to the right size for view on the filmwise forum usually. At this point you can click on the little preview tab in ULEAD and view how your animation looks. If you try to view it before bringing the size down it is going to look like crap and look really slow and choppy.

If your happy with the animation, go to File and Save it (you might want to create another folder for this labeled "Animated Gifs" or something for the finished avatars. If your not happy just close ULEAD and start over. Once you get it right one time though you'll have it and its really simple.

Step 3:

If you have Adobe ImageReady its a good idea to open it up and open up your animated gif in here. Then go to "file" and "preview in web browser". This will open up a web page with your animatedgif exactly how it will look on the forum and will tell you the size. TRY NOT TO GO OVER 400Kb give or take a few kb because this will make people like me with slow 56k modems have to wait forever for filmwise pages to load. If you have widescreen bars you want to take out just highlight all the thumbnails in Imageready and then crop the one on the screen to get rid of the black bars. Also if you need to bring the filesize down just highlight the thumbnails and go to "Image" and "Image Size" and bring it down more (again 120-140).

If you made any changes in ImageReady to the gif go to "File", "Save Optimized as" and name it again and save it.

Step Four

Find somwhere or somebody to host your animated gif for you and load it up to filmwise. Your done.

Yeah I know all this probably seems like a lot but its REALLY simply when your doing it. Like I said whole process can be done in 10 minutes. If your wanting to make your own just print out these instructions and you should have no problem. If you do have a problem or question just post it in here and me or someone will help you out. If you don't have a dvd rom or something but would like an animated gif, just pm what you would like and if I have the movie i'll hook you up whenever I have the time.

I gotta to give a lot of props to :D :D T me J :D :D !! She is the one who told me about ULEAD gif animator and gave me some instruction.
Also much props to :D :D Jeremy P :D :D for hooking me up with a place to host my avatars.

thanks for posting this on here.

and for F.N.G. thanks for pointing this out for me. :thumb1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2004, 21:01 
Director
Director

In the Avatars Thread, LizardH wrote:
I want to make some avatars from my DVDs but I have a Mac and can't quite figure out what software I need. I've tried iMovie & iDVD but it doesn't look like I can do any type of screen captures.

Do I need Photoshop or something of that sort? If there are any Mac users out there that can help, let me know!

DVDCapture didn't work - it's buggy freeware - you get what you pay for.

Are there any Mac users out there that can let me know what software will work to make animated gif's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2004, 21:23 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

LizardH wrote:
In the Avatars Thread, LizardH wrote:
I want to make some avatars from my DVDs but I have a Mac and can't quite figure out what software I need. I've tried iMovie & iDVD but it doesn't look like I can do any type of screen captures.

Do I need Photoshop or something of that sort? If there are any Mac users out there that can help, let me know!

DVDCapture didn't work - it's buggy freeware - you get what you pay for.

Are there any Mac users out there that can let me know what software will work to make animated gif's?

Try asking Toto, up until now he was the only one I knew around here that used a Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 19:43 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

So, my 30 day trial of Cyberlink PowerDVD has expired.... It still plays the DVDs only with no audio, so I can still use the software to capture video/make avatars, but I enjoyed watching DVDs on my laptop.

Do I spend the $60-70 to upgrade and buy the software, or will it let me uninstall it, and reinstall the 30 day trial? Don't want to risk uninstalling cause I still want to be able to make avatars at the very least, but would love to watch DVDs again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 19:47 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

Agrajag wrote:
So, my 30 day trial of Cyberlink PowerDVD has expired.... It still plays the DVDs only with no audio, so I can still use the software to capture video/make avatars, but I enjoyed watching DVDs on my laptop.

Do I spend the $60-70 to upgrade and buy the software, or will it let me uninstall it, and reinstall the 30 day trial? Don't want to risk uninstalling cause I still want to be able to make avatars at the very least, but would love to watch DVDs again...

I re-installed the 30 day trial about 4 or 5 times. I didn't uninstall first though. Just let download manager deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 20:04 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

bratzks wrote:
Agrajag wrote:

I re-installed the 30 day trial about 4 or 5 times. I didn't uninstall first though. Just let download manager deal with it.
Is 4 or 5 times the limit or have you only been using it 4-5 months so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 20:23 

Agrajag wrote:
bratzks wrote:
Agrajag wrote:

Is 4 or 5 times the limit or have you only been using it 4-5 months so far?

Just got tired of doing it so I broke down and bought it.
Do what you want. All I was saying was "Yes, it will let you re-install the free one."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 00:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I notice I'm about the only one using a different method for the capturing of Avatars. Since most people here capture the things frame by frame, I guess my way can save you a lot of time (yet you do need quite some free HD space for buffering it all).

1. Download DVD ripping software (I still use DVD decrypter, but that has shut down, so more recent dvd's may not work with it)
2. Download VirtualDUB (Mpeg version)
3. Get Imageready or a similar tool.

4. Rip the dvd of your choice.
5. It rips to .VOB files, which are Mpeg compatible. Just rename the file extension to .mpeg
6. Open Virtuadub, load file of choice into it.
7. Scroll in file to scene of choice. Useful shortcuts for beginning and end markings are 'Home' and 'End'. Delete the rest and choose 'Save As avi' for the left over selection. Depending on the length, this will give you an Avi file of a few hundred Mb's.
8. Load the file directly into Imageready (which can handle Avi's) and the rest of the procedure is the same as Fishn4's guide.

If I missed anything, or if there are some things not clear, let me know.
Hope this helps; I usually make my avatars in less than 5 minutes, so this could be a real time saver.

Last edited by Middle on 13 Feb 2007, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 01:12 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Is there a version of VirtualDub that can handle .avi files (not to mention, the truth)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 02:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:
Is there a version of VirtualDub that can handle .avi files (not to mention, the truth)?

I think that is standard for Virtualdub. Mpeg needed a separate plugin.
here's a download page
Other video editing and ripping software can be downloaded from http://www.Doom9.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 00:38 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

We just got a new computer that is smart enough to do this kind of stuff. We went Mac, though, instead of PC. Is anyone else doing these on a Mac and/or if so does it even change anything? It's got a dvd burner and some kind of movie making program so I suppose ripping the images won't be a problem. I guess I'm just wondering if Middle's directions above need to be augmented in any way before I dive in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 01:20 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

A2 wrote:
We just got a new computer that is smart enough to do this kind of stuff. We went Mac, though, instead of PC. Is anyone else doing these on a Mac and/or if so does it even change anything? It's got a dvd burner and some kind of movie making program so I suppose ripping the images won't be a problem. I guess I'm just wondering if Middle's directions above need to be augmented in any way before I dive in.

The only one I know around here, that uses a Mac, is Toto. Try PMing him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 05:49 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Agrajag wrote:

So I tried getting this from download.com...after the install it tells me that my 30 days have expired.

Any thoughts?

Is there something better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 06:05 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

PowerDVD is the best (but not PowerDVD X, that sucks) but I use Intervideo WinDVD which is almost as good. The Queen may have the set-up files available (I might too, but I'll have to look when I get home).

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 06:55 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

I do. Just PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 13:15 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

another how-to-make-animated-GIFs tutorial