FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:15

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:36 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:40 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:54 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?

Firefox!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:54 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Posts: 10002
Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?

Firefox!

I don't think you can configure out-of-the-box Firefox(!) to open links in a new tab but there's probably an extension that provides the functionality. Check out one called TabBrowser. It allows customization of tab-related operations in Firefox and may do what you need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:56 
Offline
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 09:12
Posts: 11936
Location: You know, right here
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?

Firefox!

I don't think you can configure out-of-the-box Firefox(!) to open links in a new tab but there's probably an extension that provides the functionality. Check out one called TabBrowser. It allows customization of tab-related operations in Firefox and may do what you need.

Also, if you use a mouse with a click wheel, and click the url by pressing down on it, it tends to open on a new tab (or window, depending on your firefox preferences)

_________________
The Plane's going to Chicago. The Pilot's going to New York. The Passengers are going to Pieces!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 02:01 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 13470
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Sela wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?

Firefox!

I don't think you can configure out-of-the-box Firefox(!) to open links in a new tab but there's probably an extension that provides the functionality. Check out one called TabBrowser. It allows customization of tab-related operations in Firefox and may do what you need.

Also, if you use a mouse with a click wheel, and click the url by pressing down on it, it tends to open on a new tab (or window, depending on your firefox preferences)

wouldn't it be easier to right click and select "open in new tab"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 04:12 
Offline
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Posts: 27597
Location: Sweden
There is a forum mod for that behavior. We used to have that but then I upgraded and it got lost. I'll see if I can dig up that code again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 04:51 
Offline
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Posts: 27597
Location: Sweden
And done. They should also be in red when you hover, so it's easy to tell internal and external links apart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 05:16 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
Nunis wrote:
And done. They should also be in red when you hover, so it's easy to tell internal and external links apart.

You, my dear, are utterly awesome. Thanks for doing that - yay, amazing solution to drunken problems (although it did also annoy me when I was sober, I was just less likely to get lost in clickthroughs, so amazing solution to problem, full stop).

(And thanks to Philip and Sela for your suggestions too.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 05:21 
Offline
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Posts: 27597
Location: Sweden
Mazer wrote:
You, my dear, are utterly awesome.

Yeah, I know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group