FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:15

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

Post subject: Re: Links
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:40 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Mazer wrote:
Is there a way to make it so that when you click on urls in FW posts, that they automatically open in new tabs? I know twitter does that. I don't know if it's possible here. But sometimes, I click links, and then click through on that [age, and so on, and forget that I was actually visiting filmwise. I'd like it, if it ewere possible. Or I guess I could try to get better at right click - open in new tab. But sometimes I forget.

what browser?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:

what browser?

Firefox!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:54 

Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:

what browser?

Firefox!

I don't think you can configure out-of-the-box Firefox(!) to open links in a new tab but there's probably an extension that provides the functionality. Check out one called TabBrowser. It allows customization of tab-related operations in Firefox and may do what you need.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:56 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:

what browser?

Firefox!

I don't think you can configure out-of-the-box Firefox(!) to open links in a new tab but there's probably an extension that provides the functionality. Check out one called TabBrowser. It allows customization of tab-related operations in Firefox and may do what you need.

Also, if you use a mouse with a click wheel, and click the url by pressing down on it, it tends to open on a new tab (or window, depending on your firefox preferences)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 02:01 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Sela wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Philip wrote:
Mazer wrote:

what browser?

Firefox!

Also, if you use a mouse with a click wheel, and click the url by pressing down on it, it tends to open on a new tab (or window, depending on your firefox preferences)

wouldn't it be easier to right click and select "open in new tab"?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 04:12 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

There is a forum mod for that behavior. We used to have that but then I upgraded and it got lost. I'll see if I can dig up that code again.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 04:51 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

And done. They should also be in red when you hover, so it's easy to tell internal and external links apart.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 05:16 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nunis wrote:
And done. They should also be in red when you hover, so it's easy to tell internal and external links apart.

You, my dear, are utterly awesome. Thanks for doing that - yay, amazing solution to drunken problems (although it did also annoy me when I was sober, I was just less likely to get lost in clickthroughs, so amazing solution to problem, full stop).

(And thanks to Philip and Sela for your suggestions too.)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 05:21 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Mazer wrote:
You, my dear, are utterly awesome.

Yeah, I know.