FilmWise Forums
It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 10:33

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2003, 22:24 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

"Luckily, the new Macs have changed all this. Now you can play a DVD in the internal drive and use a screen capture utility (already on the Mac, simply an OSX version of the utility I was using on the old Mac) that takes gorgeous full-screen captures of the DVD."

I have a new iMac...what is the screen capture utility you speak of? I can't get Grab to do anything while the DVD player is running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2003, 13:45 
One of the Boyz
One of the Boyz

pepperico wrote:
...what is the screen capture utility you speak of? I can't get Grab to do anything while the DVD player is running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The application is called Snapz Pro X and it was already installed on my Mac when it shipped. I'm not sure if it ships with iMacs or not. If not, I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere as a download, although I'm not sure if it's free or not.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2003, 10:22 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Buffoon1918 wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
S P O N G E wrote:
James Bond? I thought it was the Man with the Golden Gun.

Yeah yeah... I forgot the guys name... Scaramunga? or something.

Scaramanga. Krusty the Clown has a third nipple, too.

"Friends"'s Chandler Bing had his removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2004, 16:15 
Hi everyone,

well, yes, I know, this topic isn't really a fresh one, but I discovered the Invisibles games recently and, like many I guess, wondered "how the heck they do it ?!?".

So, I gave a little try on my own and found out it was not so hard to do after all (while still far from achieving the same quality as the FilmWise guys do).

I noticed they used several images before and after the one captured from a DVD to copy/paste the background elements erased body parts are hiding. Well, I only use ONE image. Nothing else. And no Photoshop®© whatsoever (I just don't use proprietary software).

Just a sample that took me about 1h30 :

Before :
After:

One thing I'm curious about : one year later, are you still using the same basic techniques (and Photoshop) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2004, 21:09 
One of the Boyz
One of the Boyz

Anonymous wrote:
One thing I'm curious about : one year later, are you still using the same basic techniques (and Photoshop) ?

Yeah, basically the technique is the same, although I do continue to discover little secrets and tricks that help make it easier, while improving the quality (always!). And yes, PhotoShop is still used for everything, and will be for the life of the site. All hail PhotoShop!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2004, 05:49 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

Location: Lyon, France, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Third Universe left
Ok.

One other thing I forgot to ask (beside logging in before posting :oops: :roll:) : do you use a pen & tablet or just a mouse ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2004, 05:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Nipples wrote:
All hail PhotoShop!!!

*bows* :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2004, 00:15 
One of the Boyz
One of the Boyz

Joel wrote:
One other thing I forgot to ask (beside logging in before posting :oops: :roll:) : do you use a pen & tablet or just a mouse ?

Entirely mouse-driven. I do have a Wacom tablet, but basically I just use that for Painter stuff and limited drawing (like the old Child Sketches some of you may remember) in PhotoShop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2004, 08:26 
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

Location: Lyon, France, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Third Universe left
Nipples wrote:
Entirely mouse-driven. ../..

Then, *bows* too, though I haven't the slightest idea how easier or harder it is with Photoshop than with The Gimp. ;)

Impressive work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2005, 16:25 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

I've been trying invisibling TM and other photoshop-based tomfoolery and have got mixed results. I can get the fine detail to be pretty good given a bit of time and plenty of patience but backgrounds are proving trickier. Any tips on how to stop big blocks of colour (the sky, walls etc) looking all stripey?

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2005, 23:28 
Key Grip
Key Grip

Gren wrote:
I've been trying invisibling TM and other photoshop-based tomfoolery and have got mixed results. I can get the fine detail to be pretty good given a bit of time and plenty of patience but backgrounds are proving trickier. Any tips on how to stop big blocks of colour (the sky, walls etc) looking all stripey?

Gren,

I think the problem you refer to is when you use a clone tool you get a pattern. Couple of fixes for that, but first understand the problem: the streaks happen when you clone an area and sample through what you just cloned, giving you that same area over and over in a pattern. To fix it, don't clone in such long strokes and change the sampling area often (mix it up).

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2005, 06:35 
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

Err, well, I don't really know what much of that means. It should be pointed out my photoshop skills are basic at best. Lemme show you my problems using a recent invisible.

Here's the original still from the movie. Now while there is no detail behind the head it still isn't a block of colour (cos that would just be stupid)

And here's what it's supposed to look like,

And this is my effort,

I achieved this by selecting the colours that 'should' be in the area and blocking over the head. Then used the smudge and blur tools to soften up the edges. But it still looks like patches of colour rubbed together (you can tell even more in close-up), rather than the natural looking sky in the professional version.

This problem seems to be worse with walls, when shadow makes it look almost different colours, and smudging them doesn't look right. But I couldn't find an example off the top of my head. I was just wondering if there was some sort of tool or skill to making it look better, or whether it's just a case of altering it till your happy with it.

He was glad to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2005, 20:19 
One of the Boyz
One of the Boyz

Gren, in a lot of cases, I simply paint a new background entirely. In the case of the Mars Attacks image, I just selected the entire area inside the helmet (using the lasso), then feathered the edges at about a 3 or 4 level. Then I created a new layer and simply filled it with the lighter blue from the sky. Then I created the gradation "by hand" with a large paintbrush, using darker and darker colors. Then I copied the little white highlight on the lower layer and pasted it over my gradated color layer.

So I pretty much faked the whole thing, which is what I frequently do in cases with shadowed walls, etc., cuz the streaks are always hard to deal with. I'm not sure if I've been confusing or not, but it's really not that hard to do (at least in the Mars Attacks case; sometimes it can be a bear!). The main thing is to make sure you're using the right colors and gradate them properly. (I used to be an airbrush illustrator, which comes in very handy!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2006, 17:11 
Producer
Producer

Hey, I solved the invisibles early this week so I thought I would make one myself and I tried to send it in at submissions@filmwise.com, but had it returned as undeliverable. Any clue why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2006, 22:00 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Spooty wrote:
Hey, I solved the invisibles early this week so I thought I would make one myself and I tried to send it in at submissions@filmwise.com, but had it returned as undeliverable. Any clue why?

Could be that email account is no longer active. If you want, you can try sending it directly to Nipples, or you can email it to me and I'll pass it on to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2006, 03:00 
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

A poor week - Missing 2, 4, 6 & 7

Once you have stopped laughing, clues would be much appreciated :oops:

Cool - now I cant even post on the right board. I'm going for a lie down