Why are there different dvd regions?

If you have information or questions about any available or future DVD release, this is the place to post it.
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Why are there different dvd regions?

#1 Post by » 11 Jul 2003, 11:22

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to make them all the same?
The :) means it's all ok.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#2 Post by Gren » 11 Jul 2003, 11:44

The main (only?) reason is so that people can't buy DVDs from the US then distribute them in the UK before it comes out in cinemas here. But they obviously didn't think it through very well, because films that aren't out over here are already available on R2 DVD, so basically there's no point to it now.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

AD2112
Producer
Producer

#3 Post by AD2112 » 11 Jul 2003, 11:46

That's funny...I've always thought that the main reason was just to drive me batty!!! :balrog:

Should've just sprung for that All-Region Player from the start, I guess

marla
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by marla » 11 Jul 2003, 13:04

I think it is a money thing, too :rant: hate it :demon:

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#5 Post by snotball » 12 Jul 2003, 03:57

The only reason is to control the distribution of movies around the world. Considering the fact that sometimes it takes quite a lot of time for a movie to get to cinemas around the world (Joy Ride, for example, screened in Israel about 10 months after it's release in the US and it's not the only one), the distributers wanted to avoid a situation where a movie reaches home cinemas before reaching the theatres. That's also the reason for Macrovision, which is a way to avoid copying DVD movies to VHS cassettes. Thankfuly, all the DVD players sold here, in Israel, are region free, so I don't have that problem, and don't have to wait for the mercy of movie distributers in order to see a movie I want.
Bad dates